Cold Coffee

Dealing with a Diva

Kibum always woke up slowly. Blinking his eyes against the blinding light coming from the open curtains, he reflexively reached out for Jonghyun--only to find purchase on the pillow next to his own. Frowning, he sat up, using his hand to shield his eyes from the light streaming in through the window.

It was then that his sense of smell seemed to wake up, as he suddenly smelled a delectable smell drifting into the bedroom from the rest of the apartment. HIs ears seemed to open up at about the same time, and he heard the sounds of sizzling and what sounded like Jonghyun's voice.

Slipping out of bed, he left the room--but not before grabbing one of the spare blankets from the foot of the bed and wrapping it around his shoulders. The apartment was always cold in the mornings, and Kibum hated the cold.

As he walked into the main area of the apartment, he saw Jonghyun, standing in the kitchen area with his back to Kibum and cooking something. He was singing as well, but it wasn't anything intelligible--just the notes.

Smiling, Kibum slunk silently across the room and around the counter until he was right behind Jonghyun. He slipped his arms around Jonghyun's waist, resting his forehead on the taller boy's shoulder. The other boy hardly reacted, though he did stop singing. Kibum wanted to know why, but he decided not to press it, instead opting to press a kiss to the nape of Jonghyun's neck and earning a shudder--Jonghyun's weak spot was his neck, and Key knew it.

"What are you making?" Key asked, his lips still pressed against Jonghyun's neck.

"What does it look like? Bacon and eggs," came Jonghyun's reply, and even though Key couldn't see his face, he could still tell from Jonghyun's voice that his lips on Jonghyun's neck were affecting the other more than he was letting on.

Smiling into Jonghyun's skin--the movement caused Jonghyun's feet to shift slightly--Key tightened his hold around Jonghyun's waist. "Is there anything I can do to help?"

Key felt rather than saw Jonghyun shake his head. "No, I'm almost done. You could set the table, though."

Key nodded and let go of Jonghyun, suddenly feeling cold without the other's body warmth, even with the blanket wrapped around his shoulders.

He pulled two plates out of a cabinet and set them where Jonghyun could reach them, and then he opened a drawer and pulled out two knives and two forks.

Setting the table proved to be much harder when you were also trying to keep a blanket from falling off of your shoulders, as Key soon realized. He heard Jonghyun laughing at Key's frustration as the blanket slipped off his shoulder for the third time. Key glared at him, and Jonghyun merely held up his hands as if he were innocent.

By the time Key finally finished setting the table, Jonghyun already had two plates made, as well as a glass of water for himself and a glass of orange juice for Key.

"Are you cold?" Jonghyun asked as Key readjusted the blanket on his shoulders.

"Freezing. How are you not cold?" Key asked in response, eyeing Jonghyun's black wife beater and sweats. He certainly wasn't complaining--he could spend all day staring at those biceps--but it was just insane that Jonghyun was able to go around in just that this early in the morning and not be cold.

However, Jonghyun merely shrugged. "I don't know. I guess it must be because I've been cooking. And the cold doesn't get to me like it gets to you."

Key huffed. "Well, I hate the cold."

"Yes, I know."

"I hate the heat, too."

"Yes, I know."

"And people think that I must love fall, but I don't. Because it's too cold."

"Yes, I know."

"I don't really like spring that much either, but it's a bit better than all the other seasons, so I guess that counts as my favorite season."

"Yes, I know."

"How do you already know all this stuff?"

"Because you've told me at least three times a week ever since we met, ."

"Oh right."

They fell into silence, but Kibum didn't think it was awkward. It was comfortable, as their silences always were.

Jonghyun spoke up first. "When is your first class?" he asked, though Kibum knew that at this point, asking was more of a formality than anything. They had each other's schedules memorized. 

Kibum chewed and swallowed his bite of egg before answering. "Three. Economics. You?"

"Three thirty. Wanna go get coffee after breakfast? By the time we get back, the apartment will have warmed up some."

Kibum nodded. "Sure. It's going to be hot coffee, right?"

Jonghyun laughed, and Kibum was suddenly reminded of how much he loved Jonghyun's laugh. "Of course it'll be hot! Why would you even ask that?" Jonghyun asked, still chuckling, and Kibum shrugged, playing with his bacon.

"It's just that I saw an ad for iced coffee on TV the other day, and I really don't want cold coffee. I hate-"

Jonghyun cut him off. "You hate the cold, yes, yes, I know. Don't worry, it'll be hot. We wouldn't get iced coffee when it's this cold," he said, still chuckling. "Cold coffee. You're really something, you know that, Kibum?"

Key grinned and winked. "Of course I do, Jjong. I'm a first-class diva."

Kibum felt his heart lift as he watched Jonghyun laugh.


I PROMISE THAT THE SWITCHING BETWEEN KEY AND KIBUM IS NOT RANDOM. I know it might seem that way, but there is reason behind it. I might get into it in a later chapter of this or in a different fic(because who knows I might end up writing a chaptered Jongkey. I don't even know what my mind will come up with.)

But yeah. I basically wrote this because the breakfast idea has been bouncing around in my head all day, but it didn't go like I expected it to so the ending is just bleh. But the beginning is actually okay, I think. 

No I'm not procrastinating on the next chap of Mysterious Espressos why would you even suggest such a thing

*sigh* I need to go write Mysterious Espressos. I really do. But JONGKEY. 

Be sure to say hi to me on tumblrAnd comment and let me know what you think! :D