Diva Day: Part 1

Dealing with a Diva

A/N: Warning: This is a MONSTER. Seriously, it's long.

"Yeoboseyo?" Choi Minho said as he picked up his phone. As he listened to the person on the other end, a grin grew on his face. "Jonghyun! How are you?"

On the couch, Taemin grinned. "Minho! Let me talk to him!"

Minho laughed and took the phone from his ear, hitting the speakerphone button. "Okay, Jjong. say hi to Tae--you're on speaker," he said, flopping on the couch next to his boyfriend.

"Hey, Taemin!" Jonghyun's muffled voice came through the phone in Minho's hand. "How's 2min doing?" he teased, using the pair's couple name.

Taemin laughed. "We're doing great! Our anniversary is coming up next month~" he cooed, planting a kiss on Minho's cheek, causing the other boy to smile and wrap his arm around the younger's shoulder, pulling him close before speaking to the phone.

"So what's up, Jjong?"

"Today's Kibum's birthday and I want to surprise him," Jonghyun said, getting straight to the point.

"Oh right, umma's birthday is today!" Taemin gasped, using his nickname for Key that he based off the diva's motherly tendencies, especially towards the little maknae.

Jonghyun laughed. "Yeah, and I wanna surprise him. He's got classes this morning and work this afternoon, so do you guys want to come over so we can get the apartment ready?"

Taemin nodded enthusiastically, apparently forgetting that Jonghyun couldn't see him and causing his thick blonde hair to tickle Minho's face. The older spluttered and laughed, pushing Taemin's head away from his face before replying to Jonghyun. "Yeah, sounds like a plan. We'll be there in ten minutes."


Twenty minutes later, Taemin and Minho sat on the couch in Jonghyun's living room, while Jonghyun himself sat on the floor in front of the coffee table. Three open cans of Coke rested on the coffee table between them, and Jonghyun had a small notebook open in his lap as he flipped a pen over and over in his fingers.

"Knowing Kibum, we need to do something big and flashy," Jonghyun began, the pen turning over in his fingers rhythmically.

Taemin cut him off before he could continue. "But there should still be something special," he said, watching the pen's journey around and around in Jonghyun's hand from where he was leaning his head on Minho's shoulder. "You know, for just the two of you."

Jonghyun nodded. "I know. That's why I already have a big party planned out, but remember, Kibum and I live together. We'll have plenty of time alone after the party."

"Okay, we don't need to hear about that," Minho said, covering Taemin's ears jokingly.

"Like you guys don't do it too," Jonghyun teased, making the others laugh.

"Anyway, what'd you get him? The party will be practically useless if you don't have a special present for him," Minho said, lowering his hands from Taemin's ears and allowing his boyfriend to replace his head on his shoulder.

Jonghyun's pen stopped moving. "Well...I got him a dog. A puppy, actually," he said.

The reaction was immediate, and it was exactly what Jonghyun had been expecting. Taemin gasped and started bouncing up and down in his seat, talking a mile a minute and peppering Jonghyun with questions, most of which the older couldn't even understand because of how quickly Taemin was talking. On the other hand, Minho jumped about a foot in the air, moving back from the excited blonde so that he wouldn't be harmed in the maknae's hyperactivity.

Finally, after about ten seconds of this, Minho wrapped an arm around Taemin's shoulders and covered the younger's mouth with his hand, pulling the blonde into an awkward headlock. "Minnie, you're gonna give yourself a heart attack," he laughed.

Taemin squirmed out of his boyfriend's grip, looking at Jonghyun. "So where is it?" he asked at a normal speed and tone of voice.

"Still at the shelter. I'll go pick it up when we go out this morning or this afternoon after we take care of the decorations. Either way, we'll have it before the party," Jonghyun shrugged.

"Okay, next is the party. You sound like you've already got that planned, right Jjong?" Minho asked, taking a sip of his Coke. 

Jonghyun nodded. "Right. I've already invited everyone--I started doing that a couple weeks ago. The party will be here, and I invited most of the neighbors, so if we get too loud they can come over and join us if they want. Kibum's really social, and most people on our floor and even on other floors know him, so I expect a lot of them will come. We need to go out and get decorations, drinks, and snacks, but I already pre-ordered a cake. We'll need to pick that up while we're out. After lunch we can come back here to put all the decorations up, and the guests will start arriving at around 5:30, and Kibum will be home by 6:15. Did I miss anything?"

Minho and Taemin blinked and looked at each other, shocked at how long and hard Jonghyun had been working to give Kibum a great birthday. Finally, they smiled and turned back to Jonghyun, who was staring at them, obviously confused.

"That sounds like a plan," Minho said. "Taemin and I need to get him a present, though."

Jonghyun nodded. "Yeah, we can pick something up while we're out. Are you guys ready to go now?"

The other boys nodded, standing up. Jonghyun took the final swig of his Coke before standing up and stretching.


Ten minutes later, the three boys were walking down the city street, wearing jackets and scarves with their hands stuffed in their pockets.

Once they got to the party store, they spent about half an hour there picking out decorations and playing with the various toys and costumes on display in the store.

As they left, Jonghyun crossed off 'decorations' on the list in his notebook. Suddenly, his phone started vibrating in his pocket. He pulled it out and checked the caller ID.

"It's Kibum," he said, motioning for the other two to be quiet as he answered. "Yeoboseyo?"

Key's voice came through the phone. "Yah, Jjong. I just got out of my first class. I've got one more and then lunch at 12:30. Do you want to meet somewhere and eat?"

Jonghyun's chest tightened at Kibum's request. Yes, he wanted to treat his boyfriend to lunch on his birthday, but there wasn't time. He already had his excuse ready, but he still felt horrible as he gave it.

"I'm sorry Kibum, but Sobam just came into town. She'll only be here for a few days, and I need to pick her up from the airport. Remember I told you last night that she'd be coming?"

He could tell even through the phone that Kibum was trying to make it seem like it wasn't a big deal, but Jonghyun felt his heart break as he heard how crestfallen his boyfriend sounded.

"It's fine," Kibum said. "I'll just go eat with Onew or something. I think he's going out to lunch with Daehyun and Himchan, so I'll just go with them."

"Okay. I'm sorry, babe. I wish I could eat with you, but Sobam will kill me if I eave her stranded at the airport."

Kibum laughed. "Yeah, you definitely don't want to piss her off. But hey, isn't there something special going on today? I feel like there's something, but I'm not sure what it is..."

Jonghyun had to gnash his tongue between his teeth to keep from laughing out loud. Key wanted to see whether Jonghyun had remembered about his birthday, and he was being painfully obvious about it. However, in order to keep the surprise a secret, Jonghyun had to pretend he had forgotten.

"Hmm....oh! Isn't it pizza day in the school's food court?" Jonghyun asked, mentally cursing himself as he heard how disappointed Kibum sounded as he replied.

"Yeah, I guess," the blonde's voice said. "I'll talk to you later, Jjong." And with that, the line cut off before Jonghyun could even get in an 'I love you.'

Jonghyun cursed as he put his phone back in his pocket. "What happened?" Minho asked.

"I had to pretend that I'd forgotten about his birthday, and he's really disappointed. He wanted to go out to lunch with me, but we don't have time," Jonghyun replied, running a hand through his hair.

"Is your sister really in town?" Taemin asked, the bag from the party store swinging in his hand as he walked.

"She is, but she's been here for two days already. I just lied to Kibum about it," Jonghyun sighed. "I really wish I could treat him on his birthday, but we've got to surprise him tonight."

"Why did you have to pretend you forgot?" Taemin asked. "You've got an excuse."

"Yeah, but Kibum knows me and Sobam. If I had 'remembered' his birthday, he knows that I would have told Sobam to find someone else to pick her up. And he knows that Sobam would understand if I explained it to her, so my excuse doesn't work if he thinks I remember his birthday," Jonghyun explained, then sighed. "Sorry, that makes no sense."

Minho shook his head. "No, it does, you just phrased it weird. But Kibum's not going to be eating alone, is he?"

"No, Onew and some other guys are going out to eat later, so he'll eat with them," Jonghyun replied. Words couldn't describe how relieved Jonghyun was that Kibum wouldn't be eating alone at his birthday lunch, even if Jonghyun couldn't be there with him.


They spent the rest of the morning jumping around different stores trying to find a present to get from Taemin and Minho. When they finally found it, they stopped for a quick lunch before going into the grocery store to get snacks for the party.

As they approached Jonghyun's building, Minho ended up having to shove the other two down an alleyway so they wouldn't be seen by Key, who was walking out of the building.

Jonghyun couldn't get a good look at his boyfriend's face as he passed by their hiding spot, but he could definitely tell that Kibum was having a rough day. His usually perfect hair was a mess, his makeup was slightly smeared, and he walked with his head down, his feet shuffling slowly across the pavement, as if he really didn't want to get where he was going. As Jonghyun watched, Kibum came to a stop just in front of their alleyway.

The three boys pressed themselves to the wall, hardly daring to breathe for fear of being seen. However, Kibum just sank to the ground, his back against the building on the other side of the alley as he faced the street.

Kibum pulled his knees up to his chest and rested his chin on them. In the quiet street, Jonghyun could clearly hear the words that came out of the blonde's mouth, even though he was muttering. "Happy ing birthday to me," Kibum said, scowling.

Jonghyun's heart didn't break. No, his heart jumped out of his chest and ran, jumping off the nearest cliff to drown itself in the ocean below, where it would hopefully be eaten by a group of rabid sharks.

Jonghyun was just about to run forward and hug the blonde and tell him happy birthday and apologize and just stop his boyfriend's pain, but he felt a hand on his arm, holding him back. Suddenly the bag from the party store was stuffed in his hand as Taemin walked towards Kibum.

Minho pulled Jonghyun away through the alleyway before he could hear the conversation, but a glance over his shoulder told him that Kibum was standing up and laughing at something Taemin had said.

And really, that was all Jonghyun needed right then. Just as long as Kibum was sonething close to happy, Jonghyun was satisfied.

After a little bit of shifting, Jonghyun was able to take his phone out and send a quick text to Taemin.

To: Taemin
From: Jonghyun

Keep him company. Even while he's at work. Just don't let him be alone until the party.

After that sent, he called Kibum, knowing that everything he needed to say couldn't be said in a text alone.

"Yeoboseyo?" Kibum's voice answered on the other line, and Jonghyun immediately began gushing out everything he had wanted to say in the alleyway.

"I'm so sorry, Kibum. Happy birthday, and I'm sorry for not saying it sooner," Jonghyun made sure to avoid lying because this was an apology, and he didn't think it would be right to lie anymore now. "I love you, Kibum. You know that, right?" he continued. "I love you so much and I'm really sorry for missing your birthday lunch today. I just...I really love you, and I want you to have a great birthday, but I guess I'm kind of failing that that so far. I guess I'm just trying to say sorry for being a bad boyfriend."

There was a pause, and for a terrifying second Jonghyun though KIibum would hang up on him. But then, "You're not a bad boyfriend, Jjongie."

Jonghyun's eyes widened, and his heart felt like it was about to jump out of his chest. "What?"

"You're not a bad boyfriend," Kibum repeated. "You're just stupid, is all. A bad boyfriend wouldn't care that he forgot my birthday or that he missed my birthday lunch. A bad boyfriend wouldn't gush about all that like you just did.

"You're a great boyfriend, Jonghyun. But since I'm the only perfect person in this world--" Jonghyun grinned and rolled his eyes-- "that means that you can be pretty stupid sometimes. and that's okay because I love you and can deal with your stupidity. So you don't have to be sorry--I've already forgiven you. I'm on my way to work right now, so you go spend time with your sister and don't worry about me."

Jonghyun smiled into the phone, feeling like he was about to cry with happiness. "I love you, Kibum."

"I love you too, you big baby. Stop crying--you're a grown man," Kibum replied, and Jonghyun laughed because a tear really had just fallen down his face. "Love you," Kibum repeated, and the line went dead a second later.

Putting the phone back in his pocket, Jonghyun grinned. "I have the best boyfriend ever," he said to no one in particular, forgetting that Minho was still standing with him.

"Well, I beg to differ, but since it's his birthday I'm not going to argue," Minho said, starting to walk towards the apartment building's back door, andJonghyun laughed as he followed his friend into the building.


Four hours later, all the decorations had finally been put up, but they had yet to tackle the organization of the snacks--which still sat in grocery bags on the kitchen counter--or pick up Jonghyun's present for Kibum.

Even so, the two boys collapsed on the couch, taking a brief and well-earned respite. Suddenly, Jonghyun felt his phone vibrate in his pocket.

To: Jonghyun
From: Bummie

Why is Taemin stalking me? >.<

To: Bummie
From: Jonghyun

Because I felt bad about missing lunch, and I didn't want you to be alone anymore.

To: Jonghyun
From: Bummie

There's actually not much I can complain about since it's Tae.

To: Bummie
From: Jonghyun

See? I am smart after al. ^^

To: Jonghyun
From: Bummie

So, you're still stupid. But I love you anyway. I've gtg, my break's almost over.

To: Bummie
From: Jonghyun

I love you too. See you when you get home. I've got a surprise for you. ;)

Grinning, Jonghyun put his phone away and stood up, turning to Minho. "Time to get back to work~"

Minho nodded, getting up as well. "Now we're doing to food, right?"

"Well, yes and no. You're going to do the food while I go out and pick up Bum's present. It's about 4:45 now, and the place is a little far, so I'll be back at around 5:15. That'll give us time to do some final touches on the decorations if we need to," Jonghyun explained, pulling his jacket off the hook by the door.


By 6:00, all the guests had arrived, and Jonghyun's present was asleep in a crate in Jonghyun and Key's bedroom. Jonghyun had remembered about his pre-ordered cake while he was out, so he had picked it up on his way back from getting the puppy.

Everything was ready. The only thing left was for Kibum to walk through the door. All of a sudden, Jonghyun's phone started ringing. Checking the caller ID, he shouted to the room, "Guys, shut up! It's him!"

Once the room was so quiet you could have heard a pen drop, Jonghyun pressed the phone to his ear. "Yeoboseyo?"

"Where'd Taeminnie go? He was gone when my shift ended," Key pouted through the phone.

Jonghyun's eyes found Taemin in the crown around him. Minho had texted him and told him to be at the party before Key, and while Jonghyun didn't like the idea of Kibum being alone again, he agreed that it'd be best if he arrived on his own.

"Really?" he asked, feigning surprise. "I don't know, maybe Minho got jealous and kidnapped him." At his words, Taemin hid his face in Minho's shoulder as he tried to hold back giggles.

Over the phone, Kibum laughed. "Well, Minho should know better than to steal a boy from his umma!"

Jonghyun laughed, then asked, "So are you coming home now?"

The whole room held its breath as Kibum answered. "Yeah. Do you still have that surprise for me?"

Jonghyun grinned, looking at the crowd around him. "Hmm...I can't say. See you in a few. I love you."

"Yeah, whatever," Key replied, and Jonghyun could practically see him rolling his eyes. "It's a half-assed cake and an iTunes gift card, isn't it?" he teased. "See you when I get there. Love you too."

Jonghyun ended the call, looking around at the expectant crown around him. "Well, what are you waiting for? HIde! He's on his way!"

The crowd scrambled, hiding all around the living room and dining room areas, though they all stayed where they could see the door. Once everyone was settled, Jonghyun turned the lights off and used the light from his phone to make his way over so he could stand behind the cake, which was on the dining rom table. He didn't bother getting down and hiding, and instead just stood and waited as he put his phone away.

They only had to wait a few minutes before they heard the sound of the lock clicking. Everyone held their breath as Key opened the door.

"Jjong, why are the lights off?" he asked, feeling around the wall for the light switch.

As soon as the lights came on, everyone who was hiding jumped up and shouted, "SURPRISE!" at the top of their lungs, but Kibum stared at the dark haired boy standing behind the chocolate cake that was on the dining table--right in Kibum's line of sight.

Jonghyun grinned at his boyfriend, mouthing "happy birthday" across the room, and even over all the talking and laughing all the people around them were doing, Kibum heard him loud and clear.


I can honestly say that I did not expect this to be this long. I don't know what I expected, but it wasn't this. 

This is like, an actual story on its own. I don't know why I even call these drabbles because obviously I'm incapable of writing anything less than 1,000 words when it comes to my OTPs like wow.

So as you can tell, this part mostly focuses on Jonghyun and the preparations for the party. The next part will focus on how Kibum's day went and then the party itself.

Can anyone guess what Key's going to name his new puppy? (Hint: Check out bumkeyk on instagram. That should give you a good idea.)

I also didn't plan for these fluffy parts but they just kind of happened.....oh well I actually really like them.

Comment with your thoughts! Do you think Jonghyun is a good/bad boyfriend? Should he have eaten lunch with Key? What did you think of 2min's appearance? Do I need to go crawl in a hole and hide forever because of how bad my writing is? Give me your thoughts, please!

Now I need to write the second part.....is it sad that I'm looking forward to writing Kibum's horrible day?

~AA