Three Years Down, Forever to Go

Mini-Jongin Guiding Manual

Three years have passed.

 

Three glorious years with Jongin was better than anything he had ever received before in Kyungsoo’s life. His now-lover had stuck to him ever since the day they got together one thousand and ninety five days ago; but hey, who’s counting?

 

Not only that he managed to find someone who he loves and loves him in return, Kyungsoo also managed to get into one of the best universities in Korea; Seoul National University. Jongin on the other hand applied to a culinary school and is currently undergoing classes through the scholarship he received due to his excellent work.

 

Miyoung, his beloved older sister, has started dating Park Hanbyul, the young man who was a trainee in her company, for about a year-and-a-half now. She got promoted and had a better position in her Magazine Company and it offered a better pay. But overall, she was happy.

 

Everything was perfect.

 

That morning of their third anniversary ever since Jongin asked him to be his boyfriend, Kyungsoo got up and looked out the window.

 

“I completely forgot that it’s winter now…” He mumbled to no one in particular.

 

Carefully, the (still) small man slipped out of bed, not wanting to wake his lover up, and headed downstairs to make breakfast. He had bought ingredients to make porridge the previous day, knowing that the air has been chilly lately and everyone would prefer to eat something that will warm them up.

 

Humming to himself, Kyungsoo started to prepare the fish fillet (he was making fish porridge) while he waited for the rice to cook. He did not hear the faint tip toes and only let out a squeak when a pair of arms s around his waist, a warm chest pressed against his back.

 

“Happy anniversary.” A deep, velvety voice said against his ear and Kyungsoo flinched.

 

“You remembered.” He replied, smiling because Jongin, who would usually prefer to sleep in especially during the cold weather, would willingly wake up early just to greet him.

 

“Of course I remember. I remember everything about us.” The taller man commented, inhaling the scent in between the crook of Kyungsoo’s neck. “About you.

 

Oh.

 

Kyungsoo forgot to mention.

 

Jongin had lost his innocence way long ago.

 

And this is that entire brat Oh Sehun’s fault.

 

ing Sehun.

 

Kyungsoo has no idea what Jongin and Sehun talk about, but he can clearly see the impact of the conversation: surprise kisses in the morning, thigh-rubbing from under the dining table, naughty nibbles on his ears, goddamn it Sehun!

 

Sighing, the shorter man pushed Jongin away. “That tickles. And I need to prepare breakfast.”

 

“Breakfast can wait…”

 

Jongin’s attempt to hug his lover again, however, failed.

 

“Kyungie…” When all of Oh Sehun’s lessons fail, Jongin miraculously goes back to his cute attempts of making Kyungsoo listen to him.

 

The pout on the other’s face made Kyungsoo beam even wider. He took a deep breath and stopped cutting the fillet to wash his hands.

 

To this Jongin smiled again.

 

“I’ll make you some hot chocolate but then I need to finish breakfast, okay? I’m hungry and so is noona. And you need to eat too.”

 

“Okay…”

 

To Jongin, Kyungsoo’s hot chocolate tastes better than any hot chocolate people can order in cafes or restaurant. The way he pours the milk in his favorite cup, the way he would add exactly three-and-a-half spoons of cocoa powder and especially the way he blows on it beforehand to make sure it is not too hot for Jongin.

 

“Thank you, Kyungie~” The childish brunette grinned, carefully holding the cup and taking a small sip.

 

“Hmm, you’re welcome.”

 

“What are you making for breakfast?”

 

“Fish porridge.” Answered the smaller. “It’s nice to eat something warm in the winter.”

 

“It’s nice to cuddle in bed too. Why did you leave so early? I wanted to give you a ‘good morning’ kiss.”

 

Kyungsoo did not reply to his. Instead, his cheeks turned red and the visual imagery of actually waking up next to Jongin and cuddling and maybe sharing a few kisses infiltrated his mind.

 

And maybe try to do a little more than that…

 

Three years.

 

Three years, but they have never gone further than making out; unless you count that one time Kyungsoo and Jongin kissed each other’s brains out in the shower while Jongin only had a towel around his waist and Kyungsoo’s clothes were soked under the water.

 

But that was a completely different story.

 

Shaking his head to distrupt any dirty thoughts, Kyungsoo continued to prepare breakfast. He avoided eye contact with Jongin, worried that the other may somehow read his mind.

 

“You’re blushing.”

 

The deep, baritone voice made him flinch and Jongin laughed at the adorable sight.

 

“You’re so cute, Kyungie~”

 

“S—Stop it! I—I can’t concentrate…”

 

“Then maybe you should concentrate on something else…”

 

“Jongin!”

 

“All right, all right.” The taller had fun teasing his beloved but he decided it was time for him to stop. There was something he needed to ask him.

 

“Kyungie?”

 

“Hmm?”

 

“Will you join me for dinner later?”

 

“Wha—“

 

“You can’t say ‘no’ because I already made plans and if you do I’m going to drag you there myself.”

 

The redness on his cheeks was back. Jongin went through the trouble to make plans for their anniversary? And there he was, not preparing anything.

 

I’m such a horrible boyfriend…

 

“No you’re not.”

 

, did I say that out loud?

 

“I—“

 

“See you later! The hot chocolate was great by the way. Here, have a taste!” And with a kiss on his lips, Jongin ran back to their room, the smile he had earlier never leaving his face.

 

Kyungsoo, on the other hand, touched his lips and sighed.

 

“What am I going to do with you…”

 

***

Miyoung woke up about an hour later and it turned out that Hanbyul had come to join them for breakfast. It has been that way for a while now; and Kyungsoo loved having Hanbyul around. He was a nice, young man who respects his sister (heck, Miyoung rejected him once because she felt that she was not ready but he continued to go after her, one step at a time).

 

“Today is Kyungsoo and Jongin’s third year anniversary.” Miyoung proudly announced once the four of them were already sitting nicely in the dining room.

 

“N—Noona!”

 

“What?”

 

“You didn’t have to announce it like that…” Kyungsoo mumbled.

 

“Really? Congratulations!” Hanbyul commented. “I feel like you guys are such a perfect match.”

 

“Thank you! I agree with you!” Jongin answered, holding Kyungsoo’s hand in the process.

 

“J—Jongin! Oh god this is so embarrassing…”

 

Hanbyul raised an eyebrow. “Don’t worry about it, Kyungsoo. It’s just me. I’m happy for you.”

 

“T—Thank you…”

 

“Are there any plans to get married?”

 

Choke!

 

The food that just went into Kyungsoo’s mouth slid down his throat but refused to glide any further. He started coughing violently and Jongin quickly handed him a glass of water.

 

“Are you okay, Kyungie!?”

 

“Ugh…” The other finally managed to say. “Yeah… Thank you…”

 

“I’m glad you’re all right.” Sighed Jongin in relief before turning his attention to Hanbyul. “Yep, we’re definitely getting married. I’m just waiting for Kyungie to finish universi—mmmfh!”

 

The hand on Jongin’s mouth was small, but it was big enough to make him stop blurting things that would embarrass Kyungsoo. He sighed and massaged his temples with his other hand.

 

“Anyhow,” Kyungsoo cleared his throat, unaware that his cheeks are tinted pink. “We’ve still got a long way to go.”

 

“You’re blushing though.”

 

The young boy had to stop himself from giving his older sister the evil eye.

 

Hanbyul laughed freely. “You all get along so well. I’m jealous.”

 

“Eh?”

 

“I’m an only child. I grew up kinda lonely. So it feels kind of nice to have you guys; it’s like I’m reunited with the family members I never had.”

 

“Aw,” Miyoung cooed. “You’re welcome here anytime. I’m glad you get along with Kyungie here who’s a little bit of a prude.”

 

“Excuse me!?”

 

Miyoung stuck her tongue out and Hanbyul laughed some more. By this point, Jongin was laughing too.

 

***

By noon, Jongin was no longer home.

 

Kyungsoo raised an eyebrow, wondering where that cute-little- boyfriend of his went. Did he really have to prepare now? There are still a few hours left before dinnertime.

 

No notes, no memos, nothing.

 

And that was when his phone rang.

 

“Hello?”

 

“Kyungsoo? It’s me, Luhan.”

 

“Hyung!” The younger of the two exclaimed. “What’s up?”

 

“I’m coming over to your place right now. You’re at home, right? Happy anniversary by the way.”

 

Eh? Why would Luhan hyung come over? Is there something I missed? “T—Thank you! Yeah, I’m at home at the moment… But why?”

 

A mischievous tone could be heard from the other line. “You’ll see. Later, Soo.”

 

The line was disconnected and Kyungsoo found himself tilting his head to the side. He and Luhan are not strangers but they are not exactly that close. What business brought him over?

 

“Prancing around won’t help, you know.”

 

Another squeak came out of Kyungsoo’s mouth at the voice other than his own in his room. He turned his head to lock gazes with his sister.

 

“Nervous about your date?”

 

“N—Not exactly, I’m more of confused to be honest.”

 

Miyoung invited herself in and sat on her brother (and now Jongin’s) bed. “Why is that?”

 

“Well, Jongin left already.” The younger of the two answered. “And Luhan hyung just called. He said he was coming over. But why…”

 

“I wonder…”

 

The knowing look on Miyoung’s face made Kyungsoo drip cold sweat. Is everyone involved in Jongin’s anniversary plan for him? Why does it look so suspicious?

 

“I’m going on a date with Hanbyul tonight so you and Jongin can have the house to yourselves. Sounds fun?”

 

“W—What!? Are you serious!?”

 

Miyoung grinned, happy that she successfully managed to brother. Naïve, naïve Kyungsoo.  “Yeah, it’s your anniversary and I don’t want to interrupt.”

 

“But we’ll only be having dinner outside then we’ll come home…”

 

His sister whispered something, but Kyungsoo was too flustered about the idea of being alone with Jongin in the house for the night to hear.

 

***

When Luhan walked in about half an hour later, Kyungsoo’s jaw dropped.

 

On his friend’s boyfriend’s hands were two boxes; one with a light blue dress shirt and matching black skinny jeans and the other with a pair of brown leather shoes. Kyungsoo saw the tag and almost blew up because goddamn, that brand is expensive as hell!

 

“Well,” Luhan began. “What are you waiting for? Try them on. Jongin picked them out himself.”

 

“H—He did?” Was the younger’s only answer. The image of Jongin wandering inside an expensive boutique and looking at the available items made his legs go weak. He did all this for me?

 

“Don’t get too happy first, this is only the beginning.”

 

With a teasing tone, Luhan pushed Kyungsoo into his bathroom and shoved the boxes to his hands.

 

“Go take a shower and put them on. I’ll help you with your hair later when you’re done.”

 

“But—“

 

“No ‘buts!’ Get going!”

 

And so there he was, locked in the toilet with clothes and shoes he could never afford in his life. Was this all a dream?

 

It felt to good to be true.

 

Kyungsoo took a deep breath and opened the box and that was when he noticed a white piece of card that he did not notice falling out of it. Picking it up, he read what it said and almost died due to the massive amount of blushing on his cheeks.

 

Kyungie!

 

I hope you liked the clothes and shoes I picked out for you. And I hope it fits!

Please wear it and I’ll see you later :3

Happy anniversary! Three years down, forever to go, right?

 

Your love,

Jongin

 

“What did I do to deserve all this…”

 

Still with the sunset tint on his cheeks, Kyungsoo stripped off of his clothing and hopped into the shower. He carefully washed his hair and then his body, looking back to everything that had happened to him these past three years.

 

His heart started to thump.

 

“Oh no… At this rate, I don’t think I’ll make it to dinner…”

 

***

After he finished showering, Kyungsoo felt the material of his new clothes for the first time. Unlike most of his shirts, the things Jongin got him were smooth and silky; the boy could not stop touching it. It felt wonderful against his skin. Kyungsoo slowly buttoned the dress shirt down and tucked it inside his brand new jeans and came out.

 

“You look great!” Luhan said after admiring the younger for a good three minutes. “It fits perfectly on you. Now come on, let’s dry your hair and get you ready. Maybe but on a little makeup?”

 

“Makeup!?”

 

Luhan placed a hand on his hip and sighed. “Don’t tell me you’ve never used makeup before.”

 

“N—No… Baekhyun always does and he told me to try though…”

 

The blonde boy turned the hairdryer on and started to dry Kyungsoo’s locks. He used a comb to smoothen them up afterwards.

 

“Don’t worry, we’ll only use a little if you feel uncomfortable in it.”

 

There was a pregnant silence and the only source of noise was the hairdryer and Kyungsoo’s (still) rapid heartbeat.

 

“Nervous?”

 

“Y—Yeah…”

 

“Don’t be. Trust me.”

 

“Hyung?”

 

“Yeah?”

 

“Do you know where Jongin is right now?”

 

Luhan did not answer immediately but eventually did. “Hmm, do I…?”

 

“I’m serious.”

 

“Haha, of course I know. Don’t worry, he’s fine. He’s with Sehun.”

 

Oh dear God, no…

 

“By the way, Kyungsoo. There’s something I’ve been meaning to ask you.”

 

“What is it?”

 

“How far are you with Jongin?”

 

“E—Excuse me?”

 

Kyungsoo was confused at first, but Luhan whispered something in his ear and he jolted up; one because he has sensitive ears and two because of what Luhan had said to him.

 

“H—Hyung! W—We’ve still got a long way to go!”

 

“So no ?”

 

“Hyung!”

 

Cackling happily to himself, Luhan let out a sigh. “Okay, okay. But don’t you want to try?”

 

“I—“ This time, Kyungsoo did not freak out. Instead he fidgeted with his fingers. “—I don’t know… Don’t you think it’s too soon?”

 

Kyungsoo, you’ve been together for three years now and you’re seriously telling me you haven gone further than a kiss?”

 

“W—We make out sometimes…”

 

“?”

 

“Hyung!”

 

“That’s a ‘no’ then. Oh you cute innocent little thing you~”

 

When Luhan started to play with his cheeks, Kyungsoo could not do anything to fight back. Instead, his cheeks flushed again.

 

“I hope something happens tonight. Maybe you can give him a or something.”

 

“Hyung!”

 

Luhan laughed again, feeling proud of his achievement.

 

No wonder he and Sehun are such a perfect match…

 

***

The trip to the Italian restaurant Jongin had booked for them made Kyungsoo’s palms sweat. Not because he was walking, since Luhan offered to drive him this time, but because he was really nervous and he felt like throwing up.

 

What was going to happen? Will Jongin like the clothes on him? Oh god, what if I say something embarrassing!?

 

“Kyungsoo?”

 

“Y—Yes?”

 

“Breathe.”

 

And so he did. Luhan smiled when he saw that Kyungsoo was calming down. They were close to the destination.

 

“Have fun, all right? I’ll see you tomorrow if your is not too sore.”

 

“Luhan hyu—“

 

“—Bye!”

 

As soon as Luhan drove away, Kyungsoo felt the sweat on his palms coming back. He took small steps into the restaurant and took a good look at it. It was fancy but not too fancy. There were Christmas lights everywhere. A huge Christmas tree was right next to the front door and the boy heard ‘Santa Baby’ playing through the speakers.

 

“Did you make any reservations, sir?” The waiter asked once he came it.

 

“Uh… Under the name 'Jongin?'”

 

To reply, the waiter looked at his list and directed Kyungsoo towards—

 

—A balcony?

 

He afterwards bowed and left.

 

Kyungsoo felt his hands trembling as he pushed the balcony door open.

 

And his eyes grew wide.

 

Beneath the moonlight was Jongin, sitting on a table for two. He was wearing a white dress shirt, black pants and suspenders. His coat hung nicely on the back of his chair. There were candles lit on the center of the table.

 

Jongin felt that he was being watched and turned his head.

 

And that was when their eyes met.

 

“Wow…” The taller broke the silence after a few minutes of admiring each other. “You look great, Kyungie…”

 

“T—Thank you… You p—p—picked these out for me so…”

 

Standing up from his seat, Jongin walked over to his boyfriend and planted a kiss on his cheek. “Come and sit down. The heater is on so you can just take your coat off. Here, let me help.”

 

When his hand accidentally touched Jongin’s, Kyungsoo flinched. It felt weird; they would cuddle all the time and did not really mind the skin ship. But tonight felt way different.

 

“You look wonderful against the lights of he candle.” Jongin said after he helped Kyungsoo seat and went back to his seat. “You left me breathless.”

 

“Oh my…”

 

“Kyungie?”

 

“Y—Yes?”

 

“Your cheeks are red? Are you cold?”

 

“I—I’m fine.” I can’t let him know that I can’t stop blushing…

 

“Did you like the surprise? I hope it’s not too much because I know you hate extravagant things…”

 

“I love it, thank you Jongin-ah.”

 

Jongin let out a cheeky smile and Kyungsoo’s heart raced at how innocent his beloved truly was. Sure he may say naughty things every once in a while but deep inside Jongin is this naïve little boy who deserves endless attention. And no matter what dirty desires he had, he had to hold it in just a little longer.

 

The appetizer came not long after, a plate of warm mushroom soup and a basket of bread. The couple started to eat, exchanging small conversations and light laughs every now and then.

 

“This is tasty.” Kyungsoo commented. “How did you know of this place?”

 

“Sehunnie told me.”

 

Of course, Oh Sehun.

 

“I bet Sehun tells you lots of things.”

 

“Yep! He told me stuff that you’d like.”

 

“Oh really? Like what?”

 

“He says you like cake. I like cake too. He also says you like Baekkie but not the same way you like me because I’m special. He also told me places where I should touch—“

 

“—Touch?”

 

“U-huh!” Jongin’s voice sounded excited. “Like the back of your ear or your bellybutton!”

 

Oh.

 

Oh my god.

 

Kyungsoo made a mental note to kill Oh Sehun later.

 

“Can I try touching the back of your ear and your bellybutton, Kyungie?”

 

Such a dirty request coming from someone so cute and innocent.

 

“Well…” The smaller of the two pretended to think. “If you’re a good boy then I don’t see why not…”

 

“Hooray! I want to make you feel good! Sehunnie says Luhannie hyung makes him feel good all the time.”

 

Goddamn it Oh ing Sehun! I’ll kill you!

 

“O—Oh…”

 

The main course arrived; steak for Jongin and Norwegian Salmon for Kyungsoo. Everything was marinated perfectly and Kyungsoo felt like he was having an in his mouth.

 

“Do you want to try some of mine, Kyungie?”

 

Chomp!

 

Kyungsoo was not given the chance to answer because Jongin had shoved a slice of steak in his mouth. He had no choice but to chew and swallow. It tasted good but the way Jongin fed him… It made his heart beat faster.

 

“Do you like it?”

 

“Y—Yes, it’s good…”

 

“Feed me yours!”

 

Hesitantly, he did.

 

Hey, we look like we’re married… It feels kind of nice… I wonder how it feels like to get married…

 

Maybe live in a small house together… Have children…

 

Jongin ordered champagne for them. Kyungsoo had never tasted champagne before so each of them only had one glass and decided to bring the rest home for Miyoung and Hanbyul.

 

Oh , they’re not coming home tonight.

 

The anxiety in Kyungsoo’s head came back but when he saw Jongin smiling at him he melted.

 

He always melted at that smile.

 

“A toast to us!”

 

“Happy anniversary, Jonginnie~”

 

“Three years down, forever to go!”

 

Clink!

 

The champagne tasted foreign, but sweet. It reminded Kyungsoo of Jongin. Of how he was like a library and he wanted to read all the books, every single page must not be left untouched. Of how he fell in love with Jongin the same way he learned how to ride a bike; scared but restless. Of the way his feelings for Jongin grew was the same as the way he would fall asleep; slowly and then all at once.

 

That was when Kyungsoo realized; he really, really loved Jongin.

 

Is this what crazy feels like?

 

“—Right, Kyungie?”

 

The velvety voice blew his thoughts and Kyungsoo flinched.

 

“W—What was it that you said? I’m sorry I didn’t catch that.”

 

“I said; I feel sorry for Baekkie. Is he alone this Christmas? Does he have someone that’s like you and me and Sehunnie and Luhannie?”

 

“Now that you mention it… I don’t think so… I guess I’ll just invite him over for dinner tomorrow.”

 

“Yay! I like Baekkie; as long as you don’t get too close to him.”

 

“Haha, oh Jongin…”

 

“Hm?” Jongin placed his glass of champagne down.

 

“I just wanted to tell you how much I love you.”

 

“I—Oh…”

 

To his surprise, this time Jongin was the one who blushed furiously. He looked down, not wanting to meet Kyungsoo’s gaze.

 

“I love you too, Kyungie. I love you so much it hurts…”

 

“Aw~”

 

Feeling a little bold, Kyungsoo got up from his seat and leaned forward. Closing his eyes due to the tinge of shyness, he planted a kiss on Jongin’s lips before sitting again.

 

Jongin touched his lips and felt heat emitting from it. He looked up to see a blushing Kyungsoo and could not help but blush even more.

 

“I’m so glad I met you, Kyungie…”

 

“Me too, Jongin-ah… You have no idea…”

 

***

After dinner, Kyungsoo and Jongin decided that they should not go home just yet and took a walk down the street near their home.

 

Their home. Our home. Has a nice ring to it, doesn’t it?

 

It was getting colder, so Kyungsoo snuggled closer to the taller man. Jongin wrapped one arm around Kyungsoo’s waist to keep him close.

 

“The Christmas lights are so beautiful this year.” Commented the smaller male.

 

“You’re more beautiful.”

 

Jongin’s words made him flinch again.

 

Was it because of the cold?

 

Or was it something else?

 

“Jongin?”

 

“Yes?”

 

“I—Uh…”

 

“What’s wrong?”

 

“Did Sehunnie tell you… About how couples show affection to each other?”

 

Can’t hurt to ask, right?

 

“…Yes.”

 

The late answer made Kyungsoo look up and he saw that Jongin was looking away, his ears turning red.

 

Wait, Jongin has been thinking about it too?

 

“I—If you’re not ready then it’s completely fine, Kyungie! I’m not going to force you! We can wait until our tenth anniversary if you like! I’ll wait as much as you want!”

 

“I don’t think I can wait that long…”

 

The surprising statement made Jongin look down to his cute, tiny lover snuggled up in his embrace.

 

“K—Kyungie?”

 

“W—What I’m trying to say is… Do you want to try?”

 

***

A/N: happy (early) christmas! :3 this is part one of my christmas present to all you lovely little santa babies out there. i hope you liked this chapter and if you do please upvote/subscribe and leave comments! :3 the second part will be posted sometimes before new years (i'm sorry but i have a lot to update so T_T) and i'm sorry if this is somewhat a cliffhanger, haha <3 i love you all! i hope you have a wonderful holiday :3