Pulled Heartstrings, Pushed Exasperation

Mini-Jongin Guiding Manual

“You seem familiar.”

 

Kyungsoo gulped at his sister’s words. Miyoung had been eyeing Jongin for quite some time now, and she could not believe what she had just discovered.

 

“Oh, I know! You look like that doll that Kyungsoo likes to carry around!”

 

“Doll?” Jongin tilted his head to the side. “What doll?”

 

Mouthing a no, the high school student sighed. He simply could not let Miyoung know about the real story behind his relationship with Jongin. It would be too much to take for her.

 

Besides, why would Miyoung—no, any member of his family—approve of his relationship with a—a—a—

 

Wait, relationship?

 

The boy shook his head vigorously. He definitely had been reading too many Fantasy books. There’s no way he and Jongin were going to develop feelings other than friendship (he prefers to call it that), right?

 

Right?

 

“Hey, Kyungsoo! Speaking of which, where’s that doll? The one you like to carry around!” Miyoung asked and Kyungsoo felt his hand tremble.

 

“Oh, I know.” Smirked his sister suddenly, eyes narrowing. “You don’t care about it anymore now that you have a life-size version of it…”

 

“Noona! Why do you always say such embarrassing things…”

 

And that was when the heat on his lips came back; the time when Jongin had suddenly kissed him innocently.

 

Kyungsoo touched his lips and the familiar scent of the other started to surround him, drowning his aching heart even deeper.

 

I can’t seriously be in love with Jongin…

 

“What doll, Kyungie?” Jongin asked, oblivious to the fact that it was him that Miyoung was talking about.

 

“N—Nothing… I’ll just…” I just need to get away from these people right now. “Go to bed.”

 

Miyoung’s left eyebrow went up. “Really? Tomorrow’s a Saturday and it’s only seven.”

 

“Yeah, I’m really tired. School was tough today. I’ll wake up early tomorrow and do my homework.”

 

He did not even wait for Jongin; Kyungsoo dashed towards his room and threw his lithe body on the bed. His face was buried in his pillow and he was desperately trying to control his raging heartbeat.

 

This can’t be happening…

 

He felt his cheeks burning hot and its color tinted with red. Kyungsoo had to admit; the feeling was foreign to him. He had never experienced love before. Sure there were crushes here and there back when he was still in junior high, but actual love? The only person he ever loved so deeply was his sister who had always been there for him ever since they were young.

 

Is this what you call ‘love?’

 

He remembered the times little Jongin would ask him what love was and the boy was quick to provide an answer. But now that he might actually be experiencing it for himself, Kyungsoo was confused.

 

“Kyungie?”

 

It was not until he felt a dip in his bed when Kyungsoo realized that Jongin had joined him.

 

Jongin.

 

The object of his affection.

 

The creature that he holds dearly to him right now.

 

“Kyungie?” He heard Jongin’s voice again. “Are you sick?”

 

Yeah… Love sick…

 

“No, I’m fine.”

 

“Are you sure?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“Okay.”

 

Jongin casually lied next to the smaller man and snuggled closer. He inhaled the habitual fragrance of Kyungsoo and started to become sleepy.

 

It has always been like this.

 

To Jongin, Kyungsoo was an addiction, a dependence, a habit.

 

There would be days where he did not get to see the other boy unless it was bedtime and his chest would ooze this painful sensation and his head would be spinning.

 

The wonderful scent of Kyungsoo was something he definitely could not get enough of. He needed him. He needed to be around him at all times or else his body would start falling apart.

 

Is his attachment merely only because Kyungsoo was the first person he saw when he came out of that box?

 

Is his compulsion towards the boy only because Kyungsoo had been taking care of him since the beginning?

 

Is his devotion to him caused by the simple fact that Kyungsoo had devoted himself to him too?

 

These are questions that had been haunting Jongin’s mind.

 

He needed help; he needed someone to help him answer those questions.

 

But who?

 

Obviously he can’t ask Kyungsoo nor Miyoung.

 

But who would be able to keep a secret?

 

***

The room was silent, unless you count the sound of Jongin’s steady breathing against Kyungsoo’s cheek.

 

Kyungsoo couldn't sleep.

 

His mind was still giving him a fit and he can’t help but visualize how his life would be if he and Jongin were able to wander off freely in this world.

 

“Kyungie! Come here! Let’s take a picture with that giant cat!”

 

“That’s a lion, Jonginnie.”

 

“It’s cute!”

 

“You think so?”

 

“But you’re the cutest in the world, Kyungie~ I love you!”

 

“I—I love you too…”

 

“Kyungie, will you be my boyfriend?”

 

“Like that’s ever going to happen…” He mumbled to himself, facing Jongin’s cute sleeping face. “He doesn’t even know what a boyfriend is. Stupid Sehun, why did he have to be here with his boyfriend, ugh!”

 

“You’re awfully making a lot of noise.”

 

The door was suddenly opened and it revealed Miyoung, all wrapped in her baby pink pajamas, her hair tied into a messy bun.

 

It’s not strange for her to visit her brother at night, and tonight was no exception.

 

“Can’t sleep?”

 

“No…”

 

“Wanna have a little chit-chat outside? I can’t sleep either.”

 

And so, fifteen minutes later, the Do siblings were sitting nicely across each other, a warm cup tea in their hands. Miyoung had did them a favor by turning the heater on a while later. It was getting cold—September was about to end.

 

“What’s up?” Kyungsoo asked his sister. He felt a little guilty for not spending much time with her lately. “How’s work?”

 

“Work’s great.” Replied Miyoung. “We had a new trainee working in the ‘Reader’s Thoughts’ column. He’s pretty cute.”

 

After leaving her job in the coffee shop with Luhan, Miyoung had applied for a job in a Magazine company. She used to only freelance and occasionally write articles. But now the company had hired her full-time due to her excellence. The girl has her own column to write in monthly now, discussing all sorts of things starting from relationships to the perfect dinner plans for friends and families.

 

“Oh? What’s his name?”

 

Kyungsoo saw the flush in his sister’s cheeks and couldn’t contain his joy. It was finally the time for Miyoung to look for someone special in her life.

 

“Park Hanbyul. He used to live in Australia and when he found out I spoke fluent English he was so glad. His Korean isn’t so good.”

 

Noona seems so happy… Kyungsoo remarked as he sipped his tea. I hope she and Park Hanbyul can get together…

 

“Did he ask you for your number?”

 

“U-huh! He asked about our family so I told him about you. He said he wanted to meet you.”

 

“That’s nice. I’d love to. Maybe you can schedule a date or something and I can magically appear for a second then leave?”

 

“H—hey! We haven’t gotten that far yet…” Miyoung retorted cutely before fixing her composure. “Anyway, what about you?”

 

“What about me?”

 

“Don’t play pretend, Kyungsoo. We did that too many times already when we were kids.”

 

The said boy chuckled, reminiscing a little of the past he had spent with his sibling. They truly were close; playing together all the time. They had moved from place to place and if anything, Kyungsoo was thankful that his sister was always there for him.

 

“I seriously don’t know what you’re talking abo—“

 

“Jongin, of course!”

 

Miyoung had said it a little too loudly and Kyungsoo panicked that she may have woken Jongin up.

 

He went to check and thanked God the boy was still sound asleep.

 

“What about him?”

 

“You're in love with him, aren’t you?”

 

“E—Eh?”

 

To this, Miyoung rolled her eyes. “You can’t lie to me, you know that right? I know every inch of you and that sneaky mind of yours.”

 

“I honestly don’t understand—“

 

“The way you look at him is different. “ She said simply. “You look at him the way mom looks at dad… And he looks at you the same way…”

 

Kyungsoo felt his heart throbbing once again, his hands shivering against the ceramic cup.

 

“You must be seeing things…”

 

“I’m not.” It was a firm statement and Kyungsoo froze. “I can see it. And not just that, the way he behaves around you shows how much he cares about you. and let’s be honest here; the thought of something bad happening to Jongin makes your torso gnaw, right?”

 

The boy took a moment to touch his chest. He started to imagine something happening to Jongi—No! No no no no no!

 

“No!—Ah…”

 

“See?”

 

Sighing, Kyungsoo slumped back to his seat, eyes on his lap.

 

Curse Miyoung for being able to see right through him.

 

I can’t believe I’m serious about being in love with him…

 

“It’s all right, you know?”

 

His head went back up to face his sister, surprised at the statement.

 

“It’s okay to be in love with him. He’s a great person.”

 

A bitter smile escaped the younger’s lips. “I don't think you understand…”

 

“I don’t need to.” Came Miyoung’s reply. “When it comes to love, do you really need an explanation?”

 

“It’s a bit complicated…”

 

“Love is only complicated when you make it that way.”

 

Kyungsoo did not understand one bit.

 

“Even if I tell you that, for instance, Jongin is a burglar, or a murderer, or a psychopath, will that change the amount of love you have for him?”

 

No answer.

 

“There you go then. You have answered it for yourself.”

 

Miyoung got up and placed the dirty cups and teapot in the sink and told Kyungsoo she was going to wash it in the morning. The girl was about to enter her room when she suddenly turned her head to face her beloved brother.

 

“Love knows no boundaries.” It was a simple sentence yet Kyungsoo felt her heart’s smile radiating. “Good night, Kyungsoo.”

 

“Good night.”

 

***

When his mother told him he had a visitor that afternoon, Baekhyun honestly did not expect the familiar face from Kyungsoo’s house.

 

Jongin.

 

“Hi, Baekhyunnie!” The boy greeted a little too carelessly that he almost tripped. Baekhyun’s mother told him to sit down and went to the kitchen to get drinks for them.

 

“Wha—Hi.” Baekhyun answered. He was still trying to let the situation sink into him to avoid as much panic as possible.

 

Not long after, his mother came back with two glasses of orange juice and a plate of cookies. Jongin thanked her, voice cheerful, and complemented the treat she made herself and Mrs. Byun blushed, asking Baekhyun where he met such a polite friend.

 

“Are you Baekhyun’s classmate?”

 

“What’s a classma—“

 

“He’s Kyungsoo’s friend, mom.” Baekhyun quickly cut off to avoid his mother’s confusion. “J—Jongin’s taking online cooking classes, right?”

 

“U-huh! I hope that one day I can be half as good as you mommy Baekhyun!”

 

Did he just call her that?

 

“Aw, you’re so cute! Please come over more often! Baekhyun, your friend is lovely!”

 

“Yeah, yeah.”

 

After finally succeeding in getting his mother out of the living room, Baekhyun sat back down and sighed. Jongin was halfway done with his orange juice but the boy had not touched his one bit. He had more important things to do.

 

Like ask Jongin just how the heck did he get to his house.

 

“How do you know where I live?”

 

“I saw it in Kyungie’s address book.” Jongin answered, happily munching on the plate of cookies.

 

“How did you get here?”

 

“I took the bus… It was hard… But I got help from a very kind man who was turning this wheel—“

 

“Bus driver.” Baekhyun stated and Jongin’s mouth gaped before continuing his feast.

 

Baekhyun leaned back to the sofa, now a little calmer. “Well, there must be a reason why you’re here, no?”

 

The words snapped Jongin’s mind and he immediately swallowed what was left in his mouth before locking his gaze with the other.

 

“I need to ask you something.”

 

“What is it?”

 

“What is love?”

 

Really? Did Jongin come all the way here just to ask him that?

 

“Love, huh?” Baekhyun scratched the back of his head. “It really depends on who you are. Love can be the want to protect someone. It can also be the idea of craving for him or her. A sense of reliability, dependence and such.”

 

“Dependence….” Jongin repeated, thinking to himself. “What else?”

 

“Love is… Wanting and never getting enough of that special person, I guess. Like, you feel empty when that person is not there with you. When you’re in love with someone, he or she becomes a part of you.”

 

“A part of me? Like my hand?”

 

“No, ugh, how do I put this…” Baekhyun shook his head before something in his memory cracked. “Oh! There’s this thing I learned in French class once. ‘Tu me manques.’”

 

Jongin tilted his head and pouted in confusion.

 

“It’s how you say ‘I miss you’ in French. But if you look at it by definition, the meaning is closer to ‘you are missing from me.’ It’s as if implying that that special someone is a part of your body; like a limb or blood or something. And that you cannot function without him or her.”

 

The other boy stayed quiet, processing Baekhyun’s explanation. It was starting to make sense to him.

 

To Jongin, Kyungsoo was like his heart.

 

Without a heart, Jongin won’t be able to operate.

 

Without Kyungsoo, Jongin will most likely die.

 

“Kyungie…” He heard himself say, placing his hands against his chest.

 

Baekhyun was taken aback by what the boy just said. Sure he had seen his best friend and Jongin as a couple but he did not expect that these kinds of feelings would be developed.

 

“Y—You love K—Kyungsoo?”

 

“Kyungie is like my heart…” Jongin answered, slightly trembling. “Without him, I will cease to exist…”

 

“Whoa there. No need to be so extreme… Ugh, this is why I hate French…”

 

“W—what should I do, Baekhyunnie?”

 

“Eh? Why are you asking me?”

 

“How do I show him that I love him?”

 

At this point, Jongin was already leaning close to Baekhyun, eyes widening in plead and mouth a little petulant. He looked like a dejected puppy.

 

“C—Calm down!” Baekhyun half commanded half begged. Jongin finally sat next to him (still dangerously close) and puffed his cheeks.

 

“You can—um—take him to dinner or something.”

 

“Dinner? But Miyoungie noona makes that for us at home! Sometimes Kyungie does it too.”

 

“No, like, dinner outside the house. Like a restaurant or something.”

 

“R—Res—Rest—“

 

“Restaurant.” Repeated Baekhyun. “Just take him there and then tell him you love him or somethin—hey, why are you crying?”

 

Jongin continued to sob and started to throw his arms around, freaking the smaller boy out. “I don’t know how!”

 

“Hey! Calm down! It’s not so hard!”

 

“Hmmfh.”

 

Baekhyun took a deep breath, promising himself that he was probably going to regret what he was going to say next.

 

 “Look, I’ll –I’ll help you with the preparations.”

 

 “Really!?”

 

Jongin almost jumped at him again but the other had secured his small body by standing up.

 

“Yes, but you need to calm down. All right? And make sure to keep this a secret from Kyungsoo.”

 

“Kyungie.”

 

“Kyungsoo.”

 

“Kyungie.”

 

“…Fine, Kyungie.” Rolling his eyes, Baekhyun took his cell phone out. “We’re going to need Sehun’s help.”

 

“Sehunnie?”

 

“Oh, you know him?”

 

“U-huh! He came over once, I think. He has a pretty boyfriend named Lulu hyung~”

 

Baekhyun almost wanted to coo at how cute Jongin was being, in love with his best friend and all, but now was probably not the right time; he had to help this innocent puppy plan a wonderful surprise for his friend!

 

“Hello?” Came Sehun’s voice from the other line.

 

“Hey, Sehun. Can you come over? I need your help?”

 

“With what?”

 

“Just come, okay? I’ll explain everything later.”

 

***

“Ah!”

 

“Are you okay?” Miyoung said, concerned. She was busy setting the table when her brother srarted to hiss in the kitchen.

 

“Y—Yeah…” Kyungsoo answered. “I accidentally cut my finger…”

 

“Be careful, all right?”

 

“Right.”

 

The young boy continued to chop the potatoes and then started to boil them. They were going to have curry that night and boy was he excited.

 

Jongin skipped inside the area, a larger-than-usual grin on his face. He leaned on the counter next to Kyungsoo giggled.

 

“Why are you so jumpy?”

 

“Heehee, no reason.”

 

Shrugging, Kyungsoo started to add in the carrots he had cut in the shape of stars earlier into the pot. “You’re still not going to tell me where you went two days ago?”

 

“Nope~!”

 

“Hmmfh, fine.”

 

“Are you busy tomorrow?”

 

Kyungsoo swore he almost boiled his own finger when he heard the question. It kind of sounded like an offer to go on a date…

 

“No, why?”

 

“Great! Let’s have dinner outside!”

 

Whoa, what’s going on?

 

“Dinner? Outside?” He repeated, making sure that he did not mishear. Jongin nodded and skipped outside, shouting a ‘I won’t take ‘no’ for an answer!’ before helping (a now grinning) Miyoung (who obviously heard everything).

 

Kyungsoo shook his head and desperately tried to bring his concentration back to his cooking, but his mind started to imagine the things that might happen tomorrow and felt his cheeks turning pink.

 

At the dinner table that night, everything felt normal—at least, to Miyoung and Jongin. Kyungsoo was fidgeting most of the time, anxious about what was going to happen tomorrow.

 

“Seconds, please!”

 

“Here you go!”

 

Oh, not to mention that Jongin and Miyoung had gotten seconds while he was still stuck on his first plate of curry. It wasn’t that he was hungry, but his stomach was doing these back flips with butterflies or something.

 

Kyungsoo’s heart fluttered.

 

“Thanks for the meal, Kyungie!” Jongin stated happily, standing up to help the said boy carry the dishes. He had eaten three servings while Miyoung had two and a half. Smiling as a reply, Kyungsoo (who settled in with only one serving) was about to grab his own plate when it suddenly slipped and cut his finger.

 

“Ah, sorry, my hands are slippery…” He mumbled, more to himself than to the surprised Jongin and confused Miyoung. It was unusual for him to be this clumsy.

 

He cleaned the broken pieces and threw them away before placing two bandages on his fingers (one because of the knife and one because of the ceramic). Jongin had given him a concerned look; but Kyungsoo offered him a beam to ensure that he was okay.

 

“Give me your finger!” The taller motioned, grabbing Kyungsoo’s hand.

 

“W—What are you doing!?”

 

Before he knew it, Jongin had kissed the two areas that were covered. He looked up to lock gazes with the other boy, his eyes twinkling. “I kissed the boo-boo away!”

 

Kyungsoo almost fainted due to his rapid heartbeat.

 

***

After picking up the laundry, Kyungsoo started to sort them out. He gave Miyoung her clothes and managed his and Jongin’s, hanging it in the closet. That was when he noticed that something was slightly different.

 

“Jongin?” The boy called out.

 

“Hm?”

 

“Where did your suit go…?”

 

Unlike usual, Jongin did not answer. Kyungsoo dismissed it and assumed that Jongin would probably be unable to answer for he was never in charge of clothes. The shorter decided that he will look for it the next day—it was a Sunday, after all.

 

They got to bed and snuggled as per se and were off to dreamland, both excited about what was going to happen the next day.

 

***

“Suit?”

 

“Check!”

 

“Hair?”

 

“Check!”

 

“A bouquet of flowers?”

 

“Check!”

 

Baekhyun placed his right arm on his hips. “Did you get the flowers I told you to get or did you just choose them randomly?”

 

“Purple Lilacs, Baby breaths, Daisies, Forget-me-not.” Sehun chanted as if it was a spell. “Those were the ones in the list, right?”

 

Satisfied, the shorter boy smirked. He eyed Jongin that was now fully dressed to impress Kyungsoo, a smile on his face and his hands clutching onto the bundle of flowers tightly.

 

“Did you leave the note?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“Are you sure you placed it somewhere were Kyungsoo can see it—“

 

“Oh for the love of God, Baekhyun, yes! Do you not trust me?” Complained Sehun. “He’s just about done with his grocery shopping now. We—“ He turned to Jongin. “—No, you need to get going.”

 

Jongin felt his heart pounding.

 

Is this what people usually call feeling nervous?

 

He was sweating and his mouth twitched in anticipation and anxiety.

 

“I’m so excited!” He announced to Baekhyun and Sehun and the two smiled at him in return.

 

“You’re going to do great! Just be yourself, all right? And remember, do not run around the restaurant, you do not want to embarrass Kyungsoo—“

 

“—Kyungie.”

 

“Right.” Baekhyun sighed and took out his cell phone. “You still remember the way there, right? You have about twenty minutes.”

 

“Of course!”

 

“We will catch up later once we wash up. I smell like poop.” Said Sehun, pretending to sniff himself. “And I need to pick up Lulu hyung.”

 

“I need to wash up too.” Baekhyun added, ruffling his own hair. “You’ll be fine on your own, right, Jongin?”

 

“Don’t worry Baekhyunnie, Sehunnie! I’ll be fine!”

 

With the help of Baekhyun and Sehun, Jongin managed to book a table for two at a small, Italian restaurant. He had a bit of money saved up (secretly selling cookies he tried to bake based on his online classes when Kyungsoo's not home) to order a few meals in advance for both him and Kyungsoo. The atmosphere of the place was not too noisy either and they can simply enjoy the other’s company.

 

But most of all, Jongin wants his feelings to be heard perfectly, not by the ears, but by the heart.

 

He wants to make sure that Kyungsoo feels the love that he is radiating.

 

He wants to tell him he loves him.

 

Taking a deep breath, the boy waved goodbye to his allies and began walking. Baekhyun had taught him the way there from Sehun’s house (where they made all the preparations) a few times and Jongin was getting the hang of it.

 

All I need to do is cross this street…

 

He did so and turned left.

 

After turning left, there are three roads, take the one in the middle and go straight.

 

Jongin clutched onto the flowers tighter.

 

From here, turn left.

 

Within every step, Jongin’s mind chanted Kyungsoo’s name louder and louder, in sync with his heartbeat. He was so exhilarated for this day; he had prepared many things in order to make it perfect. Everything he did was for Kyungsoo. His life was for Kyungsoo.

 

And Jongin needed that message to come across.

 

Within every step, his heartbeat went more and more thunderous.

 

“There it is!” The boy exclaimed to himself, grinning. He immediately crossed the road that led to the destination, mind filled with nothing but Kyungsoo.

 

But Jongin forgot that the light was still green.

 

And soon everything went dark.

 

***

A/N: HOLY SHES BACK AFTER TWO MONTHS! haha, sorry, i've been busy. im starting university in two days and plus i'm busy writing a story for my friend's birthday ;__; but here you go, an update! sorry about the cliffhanger, i'll try to update as soon as i have some free time. i love u all <3

 

ps. ask me things on ask.fm!