Small Hands, Big Heart

Mini-Jongin Guiding Manual

 

Do Kyungsoo woke up that morning to a loud banging on the door. He slowly got up, rubbed his eyes and sighed.

 

Who the hell is disturbing my sleep? And on a Saturday morning!

 

Kyungsoo headed to his bathroom and washed his face. He then grabbed his toothbrush and toothpaste to make sure he doesn’t make whoever is visiting him faint through his morning breath.

 

After making himself look presentable (on a Saturday-morning level, of course), the high school student headed downstairs. He noticed that the dining table was still empty.

 

Noona must still be asleep, he thought.

 

The banging of the door once again made him jump. Heading to the wooden piece, Kyungsoo decided that he was probably going to give the scariest look he can make and yell at him or her for disturbing his morning. He was up all night working on his English essay.

 

“What do you wa—“

 

There was no one there.

 

The boy cocked his head out to see if anyone was pulling a prank on him. Mentally cursing his breath, he was about to close the door and head back to bed when he saw something on the floor.

 

It was a small, light brown package with his name on it.

 

“Must’ve been the mailman in a hurry.” He uttered to no one in particular.

 

Kyungsoo carried the small box inside his house and placed it on the kitchen counter. He got himself a glass of milk and cooked pancakes for him and his sister.

 

“I smell pancakes~”

 

His concentration was disturbed and when the boy turned around he saw his noona, rubbing her eyes and sitting on the dining table.

 

“I didn’t know you’d wake up so early. Didn’t your shift end late last night?” He asked, placing the plate of pancakes on the table. Kyungsoo’s sister—Miyoung—nodded lazily and grabbed herself a glass of milk.

 

“The door was so loud it woke me up and I couldn’t get back to sleep.” She replied. “Besides, I have work to do in a couple hours.”

 

Kyungsoo secretly felt bad for Miyoung. She is currently twenty-one and has to support the both of them. Their parents sent them away to be independent in the city of Seoul, their hometown. They used to live in America.

 

A pat on his head assured him and broke his trail of thoughts. “Don’t feel bad for me, squirt. I’ll be fine.”

 

Miyoung finished her food and told Kyungsoo she was going to shower. It was her turn to cook dinner that night and Kyungsoo did look forward to it, because that would mean that Miyoung would be home early.

 

After washing the dishes and cleaning the kitchen, Kyungsoo bid his sister goodbye and was about to go upstairs to clean his room when he remembered the package he received that morning.

 

“I wonder who this is from.” He said, examining the box. There were a couple of holes on the sides. “—Wait, holes?”

 

All of the sudden the box became his major focus and he sat down in the living room, slowly removing the tape that was securing the lid. Kyungsoo eventually got impatient and ripped the thing off.

 

And that was when he heard someone crying.

 

“W—What the hell!?”

 

Pouring the content on the table, Kyungsoo’s jaw fell. He couldn’t believe it! Is that a—

 

There straight out of the box was a tiny, really tiny little boy, probably about ten or fifteen centimeters long.

 

—human?

 

The creature kept crying and crying and Kyungsoo honestly didn’t know what to do. He searched for the box and found a small, light yellow drawstring bag, a (really tiny) Pororo doll and a book.

 

“Guiding manual…” He read while trying to stop the crying. Kyungsoo immediately scanned through the table of content and found the “What if he cries?” section. He flipped to the page and there on the sheet were many ways on how to stop the small thing from crying.

 

#12 Feed him some ice cream (he particularly likes Vanilla)

 

Bingo! The boy thought. He ran to the kitchen and took a scoop of Vanilla ice cream Miyoung bought a couple of days ago and plopped it on a small (the smallest he could find) cup.

 

Back on the table, his surprise package was still crying and Kyungsoo had no idea how it was going to eat the ice cream. He slowly lifted him up on his palm and was about to bring him closer to the ice cream when—

 

Plop!

 

“Oh no.”

 

The little creature slipped from his hand and fell into the container filled with the sweet treat. Kyungsoo expected the crying to continue, but somehow it had stopped.

 

He peaked into the cup, and there it was, the little thing, eating ice cream vigorously and happily.

 

“Nyaaam~”

 

It talks! He screamed in his head.

 

A lot of questions were running through Kyungsoo’s head. Who—no, what is this? How did it get here? Who sent this to me? And now his shirt is wet and I don’t have a spa—wait I can sew clothes for him. What’s going on!?

 

The book on the table that he was looking at previously caught his eyes. Kyungsoo immediately grabbed it, and, after making sure the thing was distracted enough with the ice cream. After the assurance, the high school student flipped the cover open.

 

Hello! If you’re reading this, you are now probably the new owner of Little Jongin! This package comes with:

Ø  Little Jongin

Ø  Mini Pororo Doll

Ø  Baby Yellow drawstring bag

Ø  Guiding Manual

As a brief introduction, Little Jongin is still very small, so be nice to him, or he’ll cry.

Here are some things to consider:

1.     Don’t be too noisy when he’s asleep (I bet you were when you opened the box, huh?), because he will cry.

2.    No matter how cute he is, please restrain from poking his cheek—he’s very delicate. When he feels that you two are close enough he will let you do it.

3.    Do not ever leave him alone, especially at night. He’ll get scared (and cry louder than usual.)

4.    Start saving up money and buy him his daily needs: clothes, shoes, hats and other accessories you can think of. Firstly buy him a pair of slippers so he can walk around the house without getting his tiny feet dirty.

5.    Don’t let him shower for too long, he’s still very small and might get sick. Little Jongin does not like drinking his medicine nor go to the doctor.

6.    When you play games, go easy on him. He is particularly fond of ‘Hide and Seek.’

And that is all for the most important things to remember! Other than that, please take care of him and make sure he gets enough food and sleep. The drawstring bag is provided for his naps but I suggest you get him a small bed or let him sleep with you.

If you ever find any problems, just scan through the table of content to find solutions.

 

Good luck!

 

Kyungsoo’s trail of confusion was disturbed when he heard an incoherent voice directed towards him. He turned his head and saw that Little Jongin—as he learned from the book—was smiling at him. His heart swelled at the cuteness.

 

“Aww~” He cooed. Carefully, Kyungsoo extended his hand to pat his little friend, but little Jongin immediately backed away from him with a terrified expression.

 

“Oh my God! I’m so sorry!”

 

Why am I even apologizing? I was being nice…

 

He was about to leave the room when little Jongin let out a small but audible burp.

 

“A—Are you full?”

 

The baby—He decides to call him—nodded.

 

Kyungsoo ran to his sister’s room, looking for a cotton swab. He thinks it’s the best way to clean little Jongin up without touching him.

 

After he found it, he went back to see that little Jongin was gone.

 

, cursing in his head, the dark-haired rummaged through the things in the living room.

 

“Jongin! Jongin! Where are you?”

 

There was no answer. Kyungsoo’s mind was blank and he was now confused. What was he going to do? A person in the size of a grain of rice—okay he exaggerated a little—was missing and it is nearly impossible to find him!

 

The manual!

 

Flipping through the pages once again, he found another page that says, “Did he suddenly disappear?”

 

Did little Jongin go missing suddenly? Well, not to worry! All you need to do are these following steps:

1.     Clean up the table (if there was a mess that was previously made)

2.    Let the little Pororo doll sit nicely on the table

3.    Call out “Little Jongin~~”

 

Still half-panicking, Kyungsoo cleaned the cup filled with melted ice cream and placed the doll on top of the baby yellow drawstring bag. He took a deep breath.

 

“Little Jongin~~”

 

And he waited.

 

“Nyoo~”

 

Kyungsoo jumped a little when he heard the sound. Turning his head, he saw little Jongin, lying down on the soft carpet Miyoung had bought for their living room. He then slowly walked towards the chair but somehow couldn’t get up.

 

He must’ve fell, Kyungsoo concluded.

 

He wanted to help little Jongin climb up to be reunited with his little Pororo, but he was afraid that he would cry again. What he didn't expect was little Jongin’s tiny arms that were extended towards his direction, as if asking him to carry him.

 

“You want me to carry you to the table?” The black-haired felt stupid for asking. Little Jongin nodded.

 

“Hey! You understand me!”

 

Carefully, he let little Jongin sit on the palm of his hand and escorted him on top of the table. Jongin immediately ran to his Pororo doll before Kyungsoo could tell him that he was covered in ice cream and the doll might get dirty too.

 

I guess I can clean it up later when he’s asleep… I’ll call the post office later to tell them that they must’ve made a mistake, He noted. Slowly Kyungsoo directed the small cotton swab he took earlier towards Jongin. Surprisingly, little Jongin didn’t complain. Instead, he smiled and kept snuggling to his doll.

 

This looks like the start of a weird friendship…

 

At that moment, Kyungsoo decided not to call the post office and complain. At that moment, he forgot everything except for the warmth emitting from a new friend.

 

***

“Jonginnie! Let’s go to school!” Kyungsoo yelled out. Little Jongin quickly jumped inside his backpack, not forgetting little Pororo of course. The student headed downstairs to see his sister, who had made rice balls for breakfast.

 

“Good morning, Kyungsoo.” He greeted.

 

Miyoung doesn’t know about Jongin’s existence. Well, she does, but she still thinks he’s just a doll that her brother seems to fancy. Miyoung is completely fine with that, of course. She packed Kyungsoo’s lunch while he was eating and handed it to him on his way to the door.

 

“Have fun in school! I’ll see you later~”

 

“Bye!”

 

After their farewell wave, Kyungsoo headed for his beloved high school. He had secretly packed a small, baked corn and blueberries for little Jongin. He also washed an eyedrops bottle and filled it with water for him to drink.

 

It had been about a month since his encounter with little Jongin and he was slowly opening up to him. Little Jongin comes with him to school and they would sometimes eat lunch together. At other occasions, little Jongin would eat before class starts so Kyungsoo can have lunch with his best friend, Baekhyun. So far, life has been going great.

 

“Jonginnie, do you like going to school with me? You can always stay at home and watch Pororo, you know.”

 

“U-huh!”

 

Like Kyungsoo, Jongin was wearing the school uniform. Only his was hand sewed by Kyungsoo himself. Kyungsoo bought him tiny shoes from doll stores and a small bag to keep his lunch as well.

 

“Haha, okay.” He answered cheerfully and that was when Kyungsoo realized they were already in front of the school. “Well, here we go! Time to study!”

 

***

Little Jongin doesn’t know where he originally came from. All he remembers is falling asleep and waking up in a stranger—that he now knows as and calls “Kyungie”’s house. He doesn’t understand anything at first, but Kyungie taught him everything—how to bathe himself and even tie his shoes. He also learned a few words from his new companion.

 

Kyungsoo taught little Jongin a few basic words and sentences to help him get through the day. And though no one else knows about him, he doesn’t mind. All that matters for him now was his Kyungie and how to make him happy.

 

Jongin tried to express his feelings through actions, like attempting to help Kyungsoo do his homework or gathering his laundry (which he both failed at). But Kyungsoo didn’t scowl him. Instead, he only smiled and patted his head.

 

“I love you, Jonginnie.”

 

Love?

 

***

“Love?”

 

Little Jongin decided to break the curiosity and ask that day.

 

Kyungsoo had just finished his Science presentation on the respiratory system when he heard the question. It wasn’t really a question, for Jongin only said one word. But unlike others who might get confused, Kyungsoo understood.

 

“Love?” Jongin repeated.

 

Kyungsoo closed his laptop and placed it nicely on his desk. He then lay on his bed next to Little Jongin (Kyungsoo had bought him a small bed from a doll house collection).

 

“Love, huh?” He wandered. “Love is when you give someone everything and expect nothing in return. Love is wanting, the feeling of yearning. It’s when you feel empty when that certain person is not around. Love is putting a lot of effort just to make him or her happy.”

 

Little Jongin, being little, couldn’t help but ask more questions. But since he does not know how to form a sentence yet, he could only blurt out one word, once again.

 

“Love?”

 

“Love is when it hurts seeing that one person hurt. Love does not rush. It is patient and kind and heartwarming.” The other replied, staring at the ceiling. “Why are you suddenly asking?”

 

Little Jongin didn’t reply.

 

***

The two were watching TV at night together while waiting for Miyoung to come home. Kyungsoo was kind enough to buy little Jongin the complete DVD set of ‘Pororo the Little Penguin.’ After finishing the fourth DVD, Kyungsoo decided that it was time to switch the channel.

 

A romantic movie was on and the high school student immediately drowned into the drama and emotion. His eyes were glued to the screen.

 

Little Jongin silently yawned. He was getting sleepy, but since he still wanted to spend time with Kyungsoo, he stayed there and tried to watch the show.

 

On the screen were two lovers, hugging each other and exchanging occasional kisses every once so often. They looked so happy as they linked arms.

 

“Love?” He asked Kyungsoo again.

 

“Yes, Jonginnie. Love is like that.”

 

For the first time in his life, Jongin’s heart pained. Why can’t he kiss and hug and link arms too?

 

***

The show didn’t last long and Kyungsoo turned the TV off. He carefully carried little Jongin who sat on his shoulder and headed for bed. He washed himself, brushed his teeth and then attended his little friend.

 

Kyungsoo had bought a few tiny clothes for Jongin (they went to the doll shop together and Jongin made his own personal picks) and some of them were pajamas. Little Jongin wore a sock pajama to keep his feet warm and he gargled with a small cup, which was a gift from Miyoung (“Kyungsoo! I bought some accessories for your little doll!”).

 

They snuggled in bed (Jongin’s bed was placed on Kyungsoo’s) and Kyungsoo immediately fell asleep. Little Jongin knew he was tired and didn’t want to bother him with more questions.

 

“Love…” Jongin muttered to himself. He looked out the window and saw twinkling stars in the sky. In his puny little heart, he made a wish.

 

I wish I were big enough so I can hug, kiss and link arms…

 

***

A/N: how is it so far? :3 the sequel will be coming up soon so please anticipate! and uh, it's rated M... /hides. comment and subscribe!