[ Four ]

Now and Forever

 

At the hospital, they were forced to wait outside as the doctors were stabilizing and doing tests on Boa to determine the reason of her incident. Yunho was hugging a crying Sooyoung, soothingly rubbing his hands across her back and Jaejoong was offering comfort to the both of them. The rest were hoping for the best, silently watching the doors to Boa's patient room, waiting for them to open.

 

Finally the lights signaling the room's usage was turned off and a doctor emerged. Everyone's head snapped up and waited for the doctor's explanation. The doctor explained that Boa had come to them before and that she had a serious illness. An operation was suggested and offered to her immediately but because she was a singer who was busy with her own comeback, her husband's anniversary concert, and her child, she refused. In the meanwhile, the doctor gave her medication to stall her illness in case she would change her mind.

 

After hearing the doctor's explanation, they all went into Boa's room. Sooyoung ran over to the bed and clinged onto Boa's arm. Yunho went to the other side and clutched onto her hand. Boa opened her eyes and swept her eyes across the room. Yunho blinked away upcoming tears and asked, "Why didn't you tell us?"

 

"I didn't want to worry you guys." She replied with a weak smile.

 

Visiting hours were soon over and the six of them left Boa to the care of the hospital for a few more days to hopefully convince her to undergo the surgery. While Yunho and Jaejoong took Sooyoung home, Junsu, Yoochun and Changmin set off to get some food for all of them; they were all starving for they didn't get a chance to eat due to this incident.

 

Once they were home, Yunho told Sooyoung to go take a bath, for it was late and she was all sweaty due to the heat of the concert. Yunho slumped into the couch and Jaejoong went into the kitchen to get some water for the both of them. Once he came out, he found Yunho's form slouched on the couch, head in hands, shoulders shaking slightly. Jaejoong wordlessly placed the cups down, circled his arms around Yunho and hugged him tightly.

 

"Joongie...I don't know what to do. You know how stubborn Boa can be. Once she sets her mind on something, she'll go through with it. If she's gone, how can I face Sooyoung? How can I raise her on my own like this? How-"

 

"Shh Yunnie, everything is going to be fine. It will work out in the end. Don't worry, she's a strong woman, she'll make it through."

 

Jaejoong whispered comforting words as Yunho cried silently into Jaejoong's embrace, arms tightening around Jaejoong's midsection. Jaejoong prayed to the gods that everything would work out for Yunho, for he can't bear to see Yunho's heartbroken like this. After Yunho calmed down a bit, Sooyoung jumped and joined them in their hugging session; she was done with her bath, all clean and squeaky, smelling like citrus and oranges.

 

That night, after the trio who went out to buy food was back, was filled with eating, comforting (Yunho mostly) and some temporary relief as Changmin tried to lighten the mood by hogging all the food.

 

~~~~~~~~~~

 

A few days later, after another successful concert, the boys came back home to visit the still-sick Boa. After dropping by Yunho's house to pick up Sooyoung, they all made their way over to the hospital with flowers and fruits in hand. Upon entering her room, they found she was asleep, tired after a day of testing and treatments. They placed the flowers and the fruits on the table, noting the mountain of fan letters and get-well gifts placed on the ground, to make way for cups and pills.

 

Yunho and Sooyoung sat down in front of her bed while the rest stood behind them. Sooyoung immediately clutched onto Boa's hand and Yunho whispered comforting words to her. The 6 of them took turns in wishing her well and soon, it was time they left for dinner.

 

"Say bye to mommy, Soo-baby." Yunho turned to say gently to his baby, but a shrill beep interrupted the parting and resonated throughout the room.

 

All heads snapped towards the machine which was emanating the noise. Boa's heart had flat-lined. Quickly without wasting another moment, Yunho lunged at the "Call" button and started screaming for help.