[ One ]

Now and Forever

 

Yunho was a father. He couldn't believe it. This precious bundle of joy in his arms screaming and wailing, probably desperate for comfort of his mother, was his child. Everything he read about babies warned him that the first sight of a newborn baby would startle him, and startle him it did, though not in the way he was warned. His baby girl was beautiful even if she was still red in the face. He leaned in and kissed her on the forehead.

 

"Yunho, isn't she beautiful?" A tired whisper came from the bed.

 

"Yes baby, yes she is. You did well. You should get some rest." Yunho placed the baby gently down in the crook of his wife's arms.

 

Yunho took his eyes off his newborn child and found 4 pairs of arms enveloping him in a warm, group hug. He exchanged glances with every single one of them; the people that he shared so much in his life with, through the highs and low with, the laughter and tears, now and forever.

 

"Congratulations Hyung!"

 

"Hyung, you're finally a father!"

 

"I knew you could do it, Leader-sshi."

 

"Yunnie, I'm so proud of you."

 

Yunho's eyes lingered on the last voice. It was a habit he had developed over time.

 

The four boys then turned to congratulate the woman who gave birth to the baby and too cooed over the newborn.

 

"It must've been hard on you Boa, do rest well these days."

 

"Rest well and congratulations once again!"

 

"The baby is so soft....she's so beautiful! She has your eyes and Hyung! She has your mouth!"

 

"I'll be sure to come over and help cook something nutritious for you. God knows how busy you will be with the new born."

 

"What should we call her honey?" Boa asked, eyes drooping down, ready to fall asleep.

 

"Well we came up with two names if the baby was a girl, right? Chaerin and Sooyoung." Yunho looked deep in thought.

 

"Hm..I like them both...I can't decide..."

 

"Jaejoong, what do you think?" Yunho turned to the now startled Jaejoong.

 

Jaejoong, for sure, wasn't expecting the question to be directed at him. "What....Yunnie? This is your child, I couldn't possibly..."

 

"You are the umma that kept this band in check, cooked and cleaned for us, supported each and every one of us. You are also very important to me, and will be the Godfather of this child…well all of you are, but Jae, just do the honor of choosing a name."

 

"Well...If you insist, I quite like Sooyoung better.’’ He smiled.

 

"Then Sooyoung it is. What do you think, Boa?’’

"Yes...Sooyoung... baby...sleep..." With that, both Boa and her newborn fell asleep.

 

11 years later

 

During these 11 years, Yunho continued with various activities as Dong Bang Shin Ki and their fame stayed strong. They were no longer the youngsters they once were, but were now mature men that everyone dreamed of having as a husband, seemingly perfect in every possible way. With time, also came realizations and confessions. After Yunho got married, Yoochun finally confessed to his lovely dolphin. To Yoochun's surprise, Junsu agreed with a happy shriek followed by a flying glomp. Everyone else just muttered a "It's about time," smiled and congratulated them both.

 

Yoochun knows the bliss he is in; waking up every morning with the person he loves by his side. He only wishes that Yunho can have that feeling again. After all, Yoochun was there when YunJae became a couple, when YunJae was hiding from the press, when YunJae were fighting because one of them couldn't take the stress, and when YunJae hugged, kissed and made up again. He thought if it was anyone, Yunho and Jaejoong would be the ones to last. But Yunho's family couldn't understand the love between Yunho and Jaejoong. So when Boa suddenly confessed to Yunho, Jaejoong urged Yunho, for the sake of his family, to marry her and move on. There were tears and heartbreaks, of course. But eventually both of them settled into an unstated agreement. Yunho married Boa for the sake of his family; where he was finally able to realize his dream of raising a family, though not with 25 children.

 

Years passed in flying colors and before Yunho knew it; past the feeding, past the diapers, past the crawling, and walking, his baby was turning 12. Sooyoung grew up to hold every bit of beauty her parents possessed. Ebony hair flowing down like a sheet of silk, framing her face, dark chocolate irises set in large almond shaped eyes, and a pair of pouty lips on top of pale, flawless skin. No wonder Yunho was busy keeping all the boys away from his beauty.

 

She grew up basked in the love of a mother, a father and 4 handsome godfathers. It was a miracle she wasn't spoiled to death by these lovely men. She must have inherited Changmin's wits somehow. Tonight however, Sooyoung would be spoiled endlessly, for it was her 12th birthday. The 12th birthday signified the passing of one complete zodiac cycle, and so it held great meaning to many Asian countries.

 

Sooyoung lied in her bed alone. Her mom was off in her room sleeping and her dad was away on a business trip again. She understands that her dad is busy with his career, but she knows that her Appa will come back to spend time with her whenever he can find time. She tossed and turned in bed; for some reason, she just couldn't fall asleep tonight. She turned to look over at the digital clock by her bedside, the soft green glow showed that it was 11:58 pm. Usually she'd be asleep by 11:00, so why couldn’t she fall asleep tonight?

 

A soft creak came from the stairs. Sooyoung unconsciously snuggled deeper into her covers, mentally chasing away the thoughts of shapeless closet monsters. Another creak came from the direction of her closed door, then slowly, her door inched open. She held her breath, imagination running wild, fearing what would emerge from behind the doors. A few tense seconds passed before she saw the silhouette emerge. Sooyoung visibly relaxed, for she realized it was just her Appa.

 

Yunho tiptoed inside his daughter's room. Immediately upon entering, he could tell that she wasn't asleep. He made his way over to her bed and sat down, and leaned over to kiss her on the forehead. He leaned back and looked at his beauty with love, but all he saw were the confused eyes that stared back at him.

 

"Appa? Aren't you not supposed to be back until-"

 

"Shh, baby" Yunho looked over to the clock as the figures turned to 00:00, signifying the start of the next day. Suddenly without warning, Yunho jumped up and shouted: "Happy birthday my darling Sooyoung-ah!"

 

Following the cue, Boa came in and presented a magnificent cake, following her was 4 gorgeous men, Jaejoong, Yoochun, Junsu and Changmin all carrying boxes of various sizes. Sooyoung turned unbelieving eyes towards her Appa. What surprised her more was that he was holding out a present too.

 

For my dearest baby, Sooyoung~ was written on top. She gently tore open the wrapping and found a crystal frame holding a photograph of a girl standing in front of an ocean that reflected the red glory of the rising sun.

 

"That's you baby. When I saw this picture, I couldn't tear my eyes away from it. When you see this picture, know that your godfathers and I are always behind and supporting you, just like the sea is to the girl."

 

"Appa....thank you. I'll treasure it very much." She said and gently placed the frame on her bedside drawer.

 

Then each member came forward to take turns giving Sooyoung her birthday present. Boa gave Sooyoung a hand carved jewelry box that played a soothing music piece upon opening it. Junsu gave her a pair of shoes which contained cute hand drawn cartoons around it, by none other than Junsu of course. Changmin's present was a cute tofu shaped box; he said it was for her to hide her precious things safe inside, where no one else can see it. Yoochun composed a song, recorded it in a CD, with lyrics and all, for Sooyoung to listen to whenever she feels like she needs some love, or "just to hear uncle Yoochun's voice" as he puts it. Finally, Jaejoong's present was a large photo scrapbook with handmade paper sheets bound between dark navy covers. Once opened, she found an array pictures. She realized it was almost a photo history of her parents. The pictures ranged from DBSK debut to Boa's singing career, to Sooyoung's birth to the present, each picture chosen thoughtfully by Jaejoong.

 

As Sooyoung flipped to the last page, she noticed that it was blank. She looked up, eyes questioning Jaejoong at why every page was filled except for this one. Jaejoong smiled.

 

"This spot is reserved for today. We shall take a huge family photo in memory of your 12th birthday, baby."