[ Two ]

Now and Forever

 

After they finished celebrating and left the room, saying how it was late and "Sooyoung should sleep now," she flipped open the book once again. She carefully looked at each and every picture of her Appa. One picture she came across held her Appa together with Jaejoong, arm flung casually across the other's shoulder.

 

For some reason, she felt like she's never seen this kind of expression on her Appa's face before, not even when he's hugging her Umma. She traced her fingers over her Appa's face, noting the small crinkle at the corner of his eyes, the smile full of love and joy expressed from both Jaejoong and Yunho's body languages.

 

After this picture, she noticed that in most other pictures, her Appa always had some sort of contact with Jaejoong, and the same happy, but foreign expression on his face: a hand on the arm, shoulders touching shoulders, Jaejoong feeding him ice-cream with the rest of the boys laughing their head off, her Appa giving Jaejoong a piggyback ride followed by three sulking men: Yoochun, Junsu, and Changmin, all of whom were holding groceries.

 

She heard voices and laughter coming from downstairs, so she put her book down and sneaked over, past her door, and creaked downstairs. She found her Umma in the kitchen washing the dishes that they were just eating her birthday cake on, and her Appa with the rest of her godfathers in the living room watching a soccer game. She saw Junsu jumping happily, cheering for one team, in the arms of Yoochun, Changmin hugging a bowl of popcorn in his arms, shielding it away from Junsu's vigor, and Jaejoong leaning gently against Yunho, his head on Yunho's shoulder.

 

She grew up knowing about uncle Yoochun and uncle Junsu's relationship. They told her when she was younger of the 'special' relationship between the two of them. To her, it was natural now. She didn't find it weird because even though she was still young, she could see the love and care between the two. She turned to observe her Appa who now had his arm slung around Jaejoong's shoulder. Right now, she felt as if the relationship between her Appa and uncle Jaejoong was very much like the "special" as the one between uncle Yoochun and uncle Junsu.

 

Sooyoung ran into the kitchen and held on to Boa's waist. "Soo-baby! Why are you still awake? You should be sleeping now, it's quite late! I know you're excited but we can celebrate more tomorrow okay? Your uncles won't leave; they're staying for the night so you won't miss any of them leaving during the night." Boa said while running her fingers through her daughter's hair.

 

"Umma, Appa loves uncle Jaejoong right? But doesn't he love you too?" Sooyoung questioned, face beaming with childish innocence and curiosity.

 

"Baby, you know that Appa loves all 4 of your uncles very much. They have all shared a lot together after all, and of course your Appa loves us too." Boa tried to explain to Sooyoung.

 

Sooyoung nodded and accepted the answer given to her. Boa led her daughter upstairs to put her back into bed; it was late after all, especially for a 12 year old.

 

Meanwhile in the living room, the game was still going on. Junsu cheered loudly for his favorite team who just scored point, just to be shushed by Yoochun, a quiet reminder that Sooyoung was upstairs sleeping. Yoochun then promptly hugged Junsu tightly and shoved his face into the crook of Junsu's neck, savoring the peace inside Yunho's home. He tilted his head and saw the intimacy occurring beside him. Yoochun knew that these acts of intimacy were something no one spoke nor questioned of, not even Boa.

 

From time to time, Yunho and Jaejoong would just lean quietly against each other, as if to recharge their "love" batteries so they could both continue on with their separate personal lives for another period of time before the same cycle would occur again. Yoochun though it was something they did unconsciously, for he knew that Yunho would never intentionally show affection to Jaejoong in front of Boa and hurt her, he was a loyal guy after all. Suddenly, a question was itching its way out, but Yoochun held it back; the duo needed this time for themselves. He recognized this need, and so he held on to his question for a later time.