The boy

The girl named Sungjong

She could hear their footsteps getting closer and closer, making her heart beat faster and faster. She broke out in cold sweat. The loan sharks would enter the toilet, surely they had recognized her and then she would be caught. She would lose her freedom, her life. Just like that.

 

But she could not just let it happen.

 

Running to the nearest urinal, she stood there pretending like she was doing her business as the loan sharks appeared in the toilet. She kept her head down; closing her eyes, praying that they wouldn’t know it was her.

 

“Yaa, it’s just another boy. We were following the wrong person.”

 

The others started mumbling as they made their way out.

 

She was glad they didn’t know it was her. Her disguise actually fooled them! It was the first time she ever got away by just standing in front of them. Blending in was the perfect disguise.

 

Smiling to herself, she glanced behind her and watched as a middle aged man came out from one of the stalls taking a handkerchief out of the pocket of his coat. She looked to her side and stared at a guy with jet black hair standing beside her. She couldn’t quite believe she was actually in the men’s toilet.

 

The guy noticed her staring and casted a suspicious look at her with a piercing gaze, his cold eyes narrowed.

 

She blinked a few times, still staring at the guy who seemed about her age.

 

The guy blinked too and looked away as he fidgeted with his belt and zipper uncomfortably. “What are you looking at?” he said testily. The guy glared at her before leaving the toilet.

 

She was dumbfounded. What was that guy’s problem?

 

She walked over to the sink, avoiding eye contact with the other men there. Once she was standing right in front of the sink, she slowly gazed at the mirror in front of her.

 

She almost jumped when she saw herself staring right back at her; her short haired self.

 

She touched her own short hair which felt sharp on her fingertips and couldn’t quite believe it was her in the mirror. She looked really different. She never had her hair that short and it was really rare for her to cut her precious hair.

 

Some of the people there stared at her, but she couldn’t care less.

 

Finally she had found a great disguise. She thought disguising herself by having short hair was enough, but there was something much more convincing.

 

She wondered why it had never occurred to her before. Why she hadn’t even thought of meeting the person who was in the mirror, staring back at her with a smile pasted on his face.

 

A boy named Sungjong.