Spirit in The Pain

Love Afar

 

... SM Art School ...

SM Art School was one of the best art school in South Korea that created the big idols from its talented students. Everyone wanted to learn about arts here, such as music, dance, and acting, but not all people could study in this school easily because there were an audition and test to enter. So, only student who had the real talent could study here.

The school bulding was so big with its unique architecture that’s enough to awe people including Jay. He was amazed with it.

“The first rule, don’t talk to me if there is people around me, because they’ll think I’m crazy to talk by myself. Second rule, don’t make any trouble or messing up with other. Understand?” Seohyun told Jay when they reached the school entrance.

“Yes, I know.” He said.

Jay and Seohyun was walking together in the school hall. Then, Jay stopped to see the huge poster nearby. He was staring at the poster carefully. “It’s so cool...” He said. He didn’t notice that Seohyun was walking far forward. When he realized it, he quickly turned around. Acidentaly, he bumped into someone.

“Auch.. What is this?” The girl that Jay bumped into said. “There’s no one before me, but why I felt like bump into someone? It’s so strange..”

Seohyun looked back when he heard the noise from behind and found Jay with one of the student, her books was scaterred on the floor. She sighed, ‘Great. One trouble has begun. He’s so careless.’ She thought before walked again.

Jay took step aside from the girl. ”I’m sorry.” He said and run away.

Jay was propping his head with his hand on the desk behind the class. He really got bored to just sit there and listen to the teacher speech. Then he got up from his seat, walking to the front of the class where Seohyun was sitting. “I want to go, I swear I won’t do anything strange.” He whispered to her and walked out the class room.

Jay was walking around the school and stopped his feet in the musical room. He came into the room, passing some students while his ears listened to the sound of the piano that played by their teacher. Jay stood next to the teacher, so he could see how to play it. ‘I never thought this thing could give such a beautiful sound.’ He thought.

Seohyun and Yoona were waiting for their turn to dance. This time, it’s a dance class they were attending at.

“Dance is not just moving your body along the music, but you should put the emotion through it, so the movement of your dance will have a soul and look alive.” The teacher said. “Okay then, the next turn is... Seohyun.” She called her.

“I’m so nerveous..” Seohyun said.

“You can do it Seo.. Fighting!” Yoona cheered her up.

“Fighting.”

Seohyun was stepping forward. She took a deep breath then exhaled it. She started to move her arms when the music was played, dancing beautifully along with the music. The music was stopped when she finished her dance. She bowed to her friends and all gave her the applause. Seohyun then glanced at the door frame to see Jay smiling and raising his thumb for her. She smiled back at him and went back to her seat.

“I love your dance, Seo..” Yoona said.

“Thanks..”

“Hey.. I got a good news. Next sunday, our school will have the audition for Girls Generation, the girl group consists of nine members that is planned to debut this year. This is a great chance, Seo. Let’s attend it.” Yoona told her.

“Really? I can’t wait for it.” She smiled.

“Can you imagine it? We’ll be a great super star!” Yoona’s speaking was loud enough to be heard by her teacher.

“Yoona! Keep silent!” Her teacher told her.

“Yes, Mam..” She answered.

“You don’t wanna go home?” Jay asked Seohyun while they were walking together in the empty school corridor. It was after school, so all the students had gone back to their home.

“I want to do something here...” She answered as she opened her locker, putting her books.

“Hey.. What is this?” He pointed the two silver medal with the school’s symbol carved in it.

“It’s our school medal, you can have it one if you want.” She offered him.

“Really? Thank you..” He was excited.

Seohyun took one of her medals for Jay and closed the locker. She gave it to him. He looked at the medal  before saved it in his pocket. Then, she walked to the dancing room with Jay following her. She put her bag to its corner and began warming up.

“Do you want to dance again?” Jay asked.

“Yes. Just a practise.”

“Uhm.. Seohyun? Do you have a dream?”

“Yeah.. I wanna be the true entertainer who could sing, dance, write the songs, act and many more, because I want to learn many things.”

Jay nodded and sat cross-legged on the floor, watching Seohyun who started dancing. He was looking and smiling to see her beautiful movements. A few minutes later, she stopped dancing and glanced at Jay. She walked closer to him.

“Do you want to dance with me?” She asked.

“What? No! I can’t dance.” He refused.

“Ah come on.. That’s nothing difficult to dance.” She said and got him up by pulling his wrist.

“Believe me. It’s more fun than just sitting there.. Move your body like this...” She teached him dancing, moving her body.

Jay finally moved his body along with the music and started to enjoy it. They were having fun together, like it was their own party. When they got tired, they were lying down together on the floor and looking at the ceiling.

“Do you know? You’re a bad dancer..” She said.

“I’ve already told you that I can’t dance..” He answered.

Seohyun looked at him and Jay looked back at her. They stared at each other for a few seconds before laughing together. Then, she looked at her watch.

“It’s time to go home.” She said as she got up, but the sudden pain came to her stomach.

“Seohyun are you okay?” He asked when he saw her holding her stomach.

“I’m fine.. It’s nothing. Let’s go..” She took her bag and left the room with Jay by her side.

 

... Seohyun’s Apartment ...

Seohyun looked at her calendar on the desk. ‘Today is the day of Girls Generation audition. But this pain doesn’t wanna leave my stomach. What should I do?’ She thought. Then, she glanced at the pain killer on her hand. ‘Do I have to use this? But, this could make my liver worse.’ Then she heard someone knocked her door, he put her pain killer in her drawer and rushed to open the door.

“Yoona? Why do you come here this early?” Seohyun asked.

“I just want to prepare everything here.. Do you mind?” Yoona said and headed to her living room.

“I don’t mind..” She closed the door.

Jay moved immedietly from the couch when he knew Yoona wanted to sit on his place. Yoona sat on the couch and put her bag on the desk. Seohyun was about to walk to her friend when her pain was coming again and this time it’s really hurt. She leaned to the wall and clutched her stomach.

“Seohyun!” Jay and Yoona called her in unison and run to her.

“Seohyun, are you sick?” Yoona was panic.

Seohyun answered with a nod. Then Yoona helped her friend to her room, so she could lie down on the bed. She touched her forehead and said, “You’re sick Seo.. You got fever too. I should call the doctor.” She pulled out her phone and dialed the number, but she felt Seohyun’s hand on hers.

“I have my privat doctor. You can call him. Use my phone..” She said as she tried to hold her pain.

“All right...” She took her phone and called the doctor.

Jay was worried about her, but he could only watch her and do nothing. ‘I hope you’ll be okay Seohyun...’ He sain in his mind.

“Seohyun, don’t force yourself to do anything hard. I guessed that you’re too tired these days.” The doctor said.

“Yeah.. I know.” Seohyun said, still lying on her bed.

 “Doctor Lee, what happen with her?” Yoona asked.

Doctor Lee set his eyes to see Seohyun shaking her head in refusal and looked back at Yoona. “There was something wrong with her stomach that caused her feel the pain. But don’t worry, I’ve given her the medicines, so she’ll be fine..”

“Really?” She asked again and the doctor just nodded.

“Seohyun, listen to what I’ve said carefully. I’m leaving.. Get better soon..” He said before walked away.

When the doctor had left, Yoona sat on her bed and said, “Is there something I can get for you?” She asked.

“No.. Thanks.. You’ve helped me a lot..” Seohyun looked at her clock. “You should leave, the audition has been started by now...”

She shook her head and said, “No. I can’t leave you alone here...”

“I’m not alone..”

“What?” She surprised to hear it.

Seohyun took a glance at Jay who was standing beside Yoona. “Uh.. I mean that I’m fine now, just need a rest.. Didn’t you hear what doctor said? I’m okay Yoona. Trust me..” She smiled.

“Seohyun.. but you-”

“Just go.. It’s your chance.. Don’t think about me, I believe that there will be another chance for me.“

Yoona nodded. “Arraseo. Take care of yourself, Seo.. “ She got up from her bed and took her bag.

“Fighting!” Seohyun cheered her up.

“Fighting..” Yoona replied and walked out from her room.

The sky looked so bright this night because of the moon light and its sparkling stars. Seohyun was enjoying that beautiful scenery on her balcony when Jay came to her side.

“Are you okay now?” He asked.

“Yes, I feel much better.” She answered.

“Seohyun.. I want you to open up with me..”

“About what?“

“What are you hiding about your illness?”

Seohyun was looking down before she answered, “... I got a liver cancer, the deathly illness. I just have three and half months to live.”

Jay widened his eyes, surprised at what she had said.

“That’s why I want to do everything before my time is up. But...” She touched her upper stomach and continued, “This sick sometimes make me want to forget the dream I have..”

“Why didn’t you tell your friend?”

“Only my parents knew this. I don’t want people to know that I am sick. I want people to see me the same with them.”

“Seohyun...”

“ ... ”

“Don’t ever give up, Seohyun! I believe that someday there will be a cure for your illness, so you can reach your dream... If I have a magic like you said before, I will remove it from your body. But, I can’t... I’m sorry.. I can do nothing.”

Seohyun smiled at him. “Don’t say that.. Do you know? I still have a lot of spirit in my life, and you become part of it.”

“Me? Your spirit?”

She nodded. “Thank you for supporting me.. “

“Geez, don’t mention it..” He said. “Ah... yeah..” Jay remembered something and dug his pocket. He took out a little teddy bear. “It’s cute right?” He showed it to Seohyun. She nodded and smiled, Jay gave it to her. “Thanks.. But, how did you get this?” She asked.

“It’s a secret... Don’t worry, I didn’t steal it..” He said and she just giggled. 

Jay looked at Seohyun who put her arms around her body, feeling the cold air. He stepped closer to her and spread his wing to cover her shoulder. She smiled at him then leaned her head on his shoulder. 'Thank you..' She said in her mind.