The Meeting

Love Afar

 

 

The sun shone brightly this noon as many people walked through the town sidewalk. Between the crowd of people, there was someone who looked different with the others. He was a young man who dressed up all in white color from top to toe which made him look so shining against the sun light. He just walked silently without destination in his mind. He was too amazed with his sorrounding that he had never looked before, such as the buildings, cars, and human in real. When he got tired and bored after a long walking, he sighed and kicked the softdrink can before him.

“Mom, look! The can moved by itself.” A young boy was surprised to see it.

“What? That’s impossible kid, maybe the wind made it moving. Let’s go, you gonna be late.” His mother said as he took his son hand to follow her.

“That’s strange, ghost in the mid day?” 

“There’s no ghost here. Come on.” His mother replied.

The boy looked back at the can for the last time before he got into the car and went away.

This young man hold his breath when people noticed his action. He was afraid that people would see him. But, when he knew that people could not see him, he sighed in relief.

“I am over thinking. Surely, human can’t see an angel like me.” He said to himself. “Where should I go now? I don’t know this place, really don’t know.” He muttered.

He continued his way until he reached the art school and stopped to see many young people had their lunch in break time or just playing around with friends. He moved his feet to enter the school gate and sat on the wooden bench under the giant tree in its yard. He was quietly sitting there, watching people who walked pass him. Then, he set his eyes to see the roof top of the building to its middle and ended in the school entrance. His eyes was locked on a girl who was walking out from the entrance. She was beautiful and had long dark brown hair. He was curious as he looked at the girl carefully. He didn’t know why when he looked at her there was something he want to know more about her. After thinking for a while, this angel decided to follow that girl.

Along her way home, he never left his eyes on her as he followed her secretly about two meters behind her. When she felt someone following her, she stopped suddenly and turned around to see what was behind her. He was surprised at what she did and freezed when he saw her eyes was staring at him directly.

“Why do you keep following me?” She asked.

“You.. you could see me?”  He asked as he pointed his finger to himself. He was surprised to know it.

“Are you kidding?”

“Hee?” He didn’t undestand.

“I’m not blind, so there is no reason that I can’t see a man like you.”

“But... How? How could you see me which no one can.”

 “No one can? Do you think you are a ghost?” She said and looked at him carefully from top to toe. She shook her head in ignorance before continued walking, leaving him behind.

“Wait!” He shouted, but she ignored him and kept walking. Then he run and stopped in front of her. “Wait! Really, I still don’t understand a human like you can see me. Let me tell you the truth, I’m not a human.” He continued.

“So, who are you? What do you want? Can’t you just say to the point?” She started to lose her patience.

“....” He still thought about how to answer.

“I don’t know who you are and I don’t have any business with you. So, stop following me! You understand what I said, right?” She said and left him.

“If I tell you the truth about me, would you be my friend?” He asked and she stopped in her way. “Now, look at me.”He told her.

She followed his command to see him. He closed his eyes for few seconds then opened them. The pure white wings were spread out from his back, but there was something unusual about his wings. His left wing had the normal size and the right one was smaller. Seohyun looked at him in amazed for a moment, then shook her head in rejection.

“No way... I think I am going crazy...” She rubbed her temple and continued to walk away.

His wide grin left his face to see her leave. “Hey, wait! You’re not crazy. I’m an angel.” He run to catch her up. “You’ve already seen it, right? So let’s be friend.. I’m Jay Kim.” He introduced himself.

“Who said that I would be your friend?” She kept walking with Jay by her side.

Jay  sped up his steps to block her way. “Ah come on... Let’s be friend ... Pleeeeease..” He begged to her using his puppy eyes look.

She sighed and paused for a moment as Jay was waiting for her to answer.

“.... No.” She finally answered before turned to another direction to walk.

“What?! .... Why?” He asked. “Ah.. Come on.. I’ve no one here.. I promise I won't do somethind bad to you.. Please, be my friend....” He kept following and begging her along the way home like never giving up.

 

... Seohyun’s Apartment ...

Seohyun was walking to her living room after finished making a cup of tea. He looked at her clock, it was 7.43 pm. She put her tea on the table and walked to her window, opening its curtain. She looked outside her apartment to find Jay Kim who was sitting on the floor in front of her apartment. He put his arms around his knees and used his wings to warm himself. ‘Is he feeling cold?’ she asked in her mind. ‘He’s so stubborn. Why don’t he just leave?’

‘Maybe it doesn’t matter if I give him a chance..’ She decided.

Seohyun unlocked the door andpulled it open. “You can go in.. You don’t want to sit there forever, right?” She offered him.

Hearing those words, Jay turned to look at her and smiled in reply. He got up from his seat and walked into her apartment.

Seohyun then closed the door. “Do you want a drink?” She asked before she sat in the living room.

“I’m not drinking or eating.” Jay answered as he followed her to sit.

She frowned at his answer then nodded, “Yes sure, you’re not a human. So who are you?”

“I’m an angel.. “

“Why are you here?”

He looked down and there was a long paused before he answered, “I want to go somewhere new, the place where no one would not judge me because of my imperfect.”

“Imperfect?”

He nodded and continued, “You see this..” He showed and moved his unusual wings to her. “That’s why I can’t fly and they said I’m a useless angel because of my strange wings and lack of power..”

She looked at Jay in sympathy. “Could I touch it?” She asked.

“Sure..” He replied.

“It’s so beautiful and soft..” She said as she caressed his wings feather gently. “They’re so mean to you just because of this.. By the way, is your world like this earth?”

“They’re similar, but there’s no such a thing in my world.” He pointed the television and other electronics in her room. “But angels have the abilities that humans can’t do.” He added.

“Is it like a magic?”

Jay frowned, “Magic?”

Seohyun thought for a while to explain him what she meant. She then took her cup, pointing it to Jay. “It’s like you had a power to change this cup to another thing like this one.” She took a magazine, showing it to him

“No, it’s not like that. Angels have their own special abilities besides flying, such as reading your mind, looking into your future, and many more.”

“Awesome... So what is yours?”

“I don’t have a power, that’s why I’m imperfect..” He was looking down when he said it, feeling sad.

“Don’t be sad, you must be glad to be born as an angel who has something that human don’t have..” She said it with her smile.

Feeling happy again, He looked up at her. “Thank you... Uhm??” He wanted to said her name but he didn’t know.

“You can call me Seohyun, It’s my name..” She told him and smiled, holding out hand.

Jay slowly took her hand and nodded. “Seohyun, I’m still curious about something. How can you see me?” He asked.

She shrugged, “I don’t know.. Maybe it’s called as sixth sense.”

He nodded again. “So, would you be my friend Seohyun?” He asked.

“Yes... Sure” She said.

“Yeah...!" He got up from his heat, moving his wings happily. "Ah... Jay Kim and Seohyun finally be friend...” He said it exitedly before they laughed together.

Seohyun cracked her eyes open a little when she felt the sun light hit her face. She got up and rubbed her eyes. There was something outside her room that attracted her attention. Jay was standing on her balcony and staring at the beautiful morning sky. His raven hair was played by the wind blow.

‘He is adorable..’ She tought while she was looking at him.

“Ah don’t think about that Seohyun.” She fought with her own thought as she left her bed and headed to get a shower.

After Seohyun finished dressing up, she grabbed a piece of bread, eating it with a glass of milk. Jay then walked closer to her and asked, “May I go with you today?”

She looked at him and thought for a moment. “Okay.. As long as you don’t make any trouble when you are near me..” She finally said.

“Yeah, I promise..” He siad, showing his wide grin.