When fire burns the heart

Dream-shots

The insanity of the raging fire continues to spread. The place where they used to call home is now engulfed in that fire that threatens to devour everything in sight. It was a clear indication that the soldiers guarding the parameters were down.

Amber held Krystal close to her. "Dad, go check on the bus. It's our only hope."

Grabbing the keys, Amber's dad carefully made his way out towards the last place he had parked the bus. As he gradually disappeared from sight, Amber turned towards Krystal.

"You need to be strong.  Also, make sure you listen to dad."

Krystal started shaking, eyes filled with tears. "What do you mean?"

"Just listen to dad and stop being so stubborn." With that, Amber pulled Krystal with her out of the house and slowly made their way towards the bus.

"Thank god it's not burning." Amber's dad lets out a sigh of relief.

"Dad, I'm gonna go back and help." He gave a firm nod.

"And dad, when I say drive, you step on the pedal and drive." Once again, her dad returned her words with a firm nod, knowing that there is not much time left.

Krystal watched as her sister went back into the scary fire, bringing different familiar faces back to the bus. She saw how her sister struggled but never fails to go back in again.

As Amber treaded slowly back to the bus supporting an old grandpa, she felt another person assisting her. She briefly looked to see Kris at the steps of the bus. After helping the grandpa up the bus, Kris extended his hands towards Amber, ready to pull her up while Amber just stares blankly at him.

"Aren't you coming up?" Kris asks.

Amber continues staring at him and that is when it hits Kris. His eyes widen in shock as he feebly attempts to grab Amber while she swiftly avoided him.

"N-no, please."

"You know me. I can't."

"Then I'll come with you."

Kris attempts to get down the bus but a shove from Amber pushed him back in again.

"You are the only smarty-pants here. You have to take care of them." Amber said, pointing to the rest in the bus.

At that instance, her father comes into view again. The broken expression on his face broke Amber's heart. The situation is made worse when Krystal started struggling and yelling. She tears her gaze away from them and forces other thoughts away. Kris took that chance to run off the bus and takes her in his arms.

"Find me."

Amber nods, with a smile on her face. She tip toes and gives him a small pat. After Kris made his way back into the bus, she could her the growing loud cry from Krystal. Her father turns to her and mouths a 'be careful' before gripping tightly onto the steering wheel.

"Dad? Drive."

The door closes immediately. Amber swallows her tears, whispering a soft goodbye to the people she loves. She turns away from Krystal, who is crying and thumping her small fist against the window while struggling against the grips holding her down.

Amidst the sorrow and tears, Kris stares at the lone figure heading back towards the burning hell, with her head held up high and probably with that determined expression on her face. He bit back the tears.

"Find me."

 

 


The parts before Kris starts talking is written in the past tense as it is a recount. I'll post the explanation later~