Bulletproof Heart

Love Café

A/N: I noticed that apparently it was an epic fail for me to write from a certain person's perspective, so from now on I'll just write in 3rd person. OTL

By the way, so that I won't confuse you, conversations in bold are flashback. I think you would figure out which one is flashback and which one is merely placed to emphasize the words.

 


 

Woohyun pushed the door open with a sigh. Being a 'regular' customer in the said cafe, he wasn't really surprised when the tall choding suddenly showed up right in front of him.

 

      "Yo, Woohyun-ah! You're back again!" Sungyeol, being the loudest and the most excited among the three, immediately pulled Woohyun towards the table and sat him down on one of the chairs. Woohyun raised an eyebrow at the tall guy.

      "Mwo? Why are you staring at me like that?" Sungyeol blinked at him.

      "So you're dropping honorifics now?"

      "You've been here for like three days in a row. Aren't we friends now?" Sungyeol crossed his arms. Woohyun sighed and shook his head, refusing to respond to his question.

      "... Wait a second. I just noticed that I never gave you my full name," Woohyun said looking at the three workers in confusion. Sungyeol simply grinned and walked to the cashier area, replacing Myungsoo's previous position.

      "Don't worry about that, we know lots of things that you don't," Myungsoo chuckled as he sat accross Woohyun, pushing a small piece of paper towards him. Woohyun eyed him suspiciously.

      "What is this?"

      "Your bills. For the last three days you just barged out of the cafe without even paying, you know," Myungsoo said leaning his head on the table.

      "Oh. So you didn't even bother to catch me for three days in a row even though I haven't paid the bill," Woohyun shot Myungsoo an amused look.

      "Because just like we said, you will keep coming here until you find that warmth," Sunggyu said smiling from the counter. "So anyway, Woohyun-ah, may I take your order?"

      "Just... Just give me a hot coffee..." Woohyun muttered as he looked away, feeling warmth creeping up to his cheeks.

 

Honestly speaking, Woohyun is not the type of person to get embarassed easily. But after thinking of him for hours at work, and the fact that Sunggyu had dropped all formalities between the two of them, he found himself feeling rather awkward facing the person in real. Or probably feeling hot much..?

 

      "What would you do if I chose not to come back?" Woohyun raised an eyebrow at Myungsoo.

      "Oh, it's simple, really. We'll just either barge into your apartment or bug your boss until he pay for your bill," Sunggyu shot Woohyun a weird smile that made a chill ran down his spine.

      "Do YOU even know where I work at or--"

      "Nam Woohyun, 22 years old, working for Lee Howon, owner of Inspirit.co. Family consists of parents and a hyung. Currently living alone in his apartment, and relationship status is single. Should I mention your preferred position too?" Myungsoo smirked at the latter choking at his own saliva.

      "HOW IN THE WORLD DID YOU EVEN-- No. This is not an ordinary cafe, and that must means you guys are not ordinary people as well. Oh God, I'm stuck with a bunch of stalkers... Is it really a sin to be attractive..? Oh God, I know I'm asking too much, but please don't take away my good looks..."

 

Both Sungyeol and Sunggyu raised an eyebrow at Woohyun's nonsense blabbering, but Myungsoo simply smiled at him as he rest his chin on his palm.

 

      "Heh. Cute," Myungsoo whispered, mostly to himself while Woohyun continued his nonstop self-praising. Sensing something, Sunggyu narrowed his eyes at Myungsoo. And much to his dismay, Myungsoo shot Sunggyu a smirk the moment their eyes met. Sunggyu immediately marched towards their table the moment the coffee was served.

      "Here you go," Sunggyu smiled sweetly at Woohyun despite his way of slamming placing the hot beverage on the table.

      "Thanks! Your coffee is the best!" Woohyun grinned before he carefully sipped the drink.

      "Of course. It's not any ordinary coffee after all," Sunggyu said chuckling.

      "What? Are you going to tell me that this is a magic coffee or anything?" Woohyun stared at the suddenly-seems-to-be-suspicious drink in front of him.

      "It's not poisonous or anything. It just has the ability to warm someone's heart."

      "... Now it's starting to sound ridiculous... But anyway, it's still the best," Woohyun smiled and once again sipped from his cup.

      "I know," Sunggyu just smiled at Woohyun before he walked back to the cashier area. 'Even though right now I feel like splashing a certain person with it,' Sunggyu narrowed his eyes at Myungsoo and once again kept an eye at the two.

      "So... What is exactly your roles in this cafe? Now it feels weird to have three people serving one person," Woohyun questioned. Myungsoo furrowed his eyebrows in thoughts.

      "Now that you mention it, actually we don't really have an exact role. We just keep shifting our roles. One guy will handle the cashier, another guy at the back cooking the order, the others as a waiter or host," Myungsoo shrugged. Woohyun blinked his now-wide eyes.

      "Excuse me, a host?" Myungsoo grinned lazily as he leaned closer towards Woohyun.

      "You didn't realize it, Woohyun-ah? I thought I've given you a good service for the past three days," Myungsoo smiled. "And I thought that's also the reason you kept coming back," he whispered lowly on the other's ear. Woohyun tried his best not to shiver, but anyone could see him tensed up within a glance.

      "Don't be so full of yourself. I have reasons for coming back here, but your service is definitely not one of them," Woohyun shot a look at Myungsoo. Feeling the older's discomfort, Myungsoo smirked and pulled himself back.

      "I wonder if you would still say that after a week here," Myungsoo said.

      "Gosh you're a thick one aren't you?!"

      "What kind of thick are you implying here?" Myungsoo asked in a teasing tone. Both Sungyeol and Woohyun's jaw almost dropped while Sunggyu kept narrowing his eyes even more.

      "Aish, just go back to the cashier!" Woohyun pushed Myungsoo away while the other just chuckled in amusement. Seeing that Myungsoo still tried to whisper on Woohyun's ears, Sungyeol immediately pulled Myungsoo and pushed him away.

      "He prefers me over you, Myung~" Sungyeol laughed, immediately sitting next to Woohyun.

      "Shut it coffee-maniac," Myungsoo replied, not even sparing a glance anymore.

.

.

Myungsoo watched Woohyun and Sungyeol laughing together. He just enjoyed seeing the bright look on Woohyun's feature. Myungsoo just smiled, despite the glare Sunggyu sent him. Apparently narrowing his eyes wasn't enough that it kept intensified into one hell of a glare.

 

      "Jealous much, hyung?" Myungsoo finally spoke up.

      "You're being ridiculous now," Sunggyu said rolling his eyes. "You know that I'm not supposed to have any special feelings towards our customer."

      "Not supposed is not the same with not allowed, right?" Myungsoo chuckled.

      "What are you planning, cashier boy?" Sunggyu raised an eyebrow at him.

      "Oh, nothing. Really. Just the probability of getting inside his pants."

      "You called that nothing, really," Sunggyu held the urge to wipe the smirk off of Myungsoo's face, since there are possibilities that he might disarrange his face as well.

      "Well, it's nothing to you," Myungsoo said in a teasing tone, secretly hoping that Sunggyu would react to it. Sunggyu just scoffed and leaned his back against the counter.

      "Right," Sunggyu muttered. Despite his answer, Myungsoo noticed that Sunggyu kept watching Woohyun until the moment he left the cafe.

 

'You're a horrible liar, hyung,' Myungsoo thought rolling his eyes inwardly.

.

.

Being the manager of the cafe, Sunggyu was the last person to leave. Even though the other workers had left at 10, he still stayed behind to make sure that everything is all right. After finished checking and cleaning up, he turned off the lights and locked the door. Much to his surprise, Woohyun stood right in front of him the moment the turned to leave. Sunggyu walked towards him and noticed the amount of snow on his shoulders and top of his head.

 

      "You're still here?" Sunggyu looked at Woohyun with narrowed eyes as he observed that Woohyun only wore a coat and scarf despite the fact that it's snowing.

      "I was waiting for you~" Woohyun smiled.

      "For how long?" Sunggyu started walking, Woohyun immediately walked next to him.

      "Since I left the cafe."

      "Seriously, Nam Woohyun? Two hours in the middle of this weather? Why didn't you cover your head with anything? What if you died or something?" Sunggyu frowned at him. Woohyun simply grinned before he pinched the older guy's cheek.

      "Don't frown. It's not cute." Sunggyu raised an eyebrow as the words registered themselves into Sunggyu's head.

      "Why am I supposed to be cute?"

      "Because you are cute!" Woohyun chuckled. Hearing this, Sunggyu's mouth curved up to a smirk.

      "I'm not cute. You are," Sunggyu said with a shrug. Woohyun blinked once, twice, but the smirk still hasn't left Sunggyu's feature.

      "I'm cute? You're the one with those cute cheeks and -- I mean EYES. And those smiles that you gave, those are cute!" Sunggyu just chuckled at Woohyun's another nonsense blabber.

      "You still haven't known me that much, you're not in the position to call me cute. You don't even know the Kim Sunggyu outside the cafe," Sunggyu said.

      "Mwo? So you can call me cute because you know me that much?" Woohyun huffed and rolled his eyes. He couldn't hide his surprise when Sunggyu suddenly pushed him against the brick wall and stared at him intensely.

      "Did we forget to tell you that we know many things that you don't..?" The moment Sunggyu whispered to his ears, Woohyun's breath hitched in his throat.

      "Then again, Nam Woohyun, sometimes you're just too gullible. Probably this might interest you... I know a lot more than Myungsoo... Including the fact that you kept eyeing my for the past three days."

 

Woohyun stood dumbfounded even though Sunggyu had released his hold and continued walking. For a second, Woohyun felt as if the one speaking was not Kim Sunggyu. The Kim Sunggyu he knew does not tease or act like that. Heck, Sunggyu didn't even bother to make any skin contact whenever Woohyun drop by at the cafe. It's always Sungyeol and Myungsoo. Woohyun snapped out of his thoughts and turned his head to see the increasing gap between him and the red-haired figure.

 

      "If you know me that much, then it wouldn't be a problem right?" Woohyun asked, making Sunggyu halted and turned his head to face the latter.

      "... It?" Sunggyu raised an eyebrow at him.

      "Go out with me."

 

Woohyun looked at the redhead, anticipating his reaction. Much to his dismay, Sunggyu kept a straight face and simply stared back at him. Woohyun's eyes went wide as Sunggyu opened his mouth to answer.

 

      "No."

 

And just like that, Sunggyu walked away, leaving Woohyun staring at the retreating figure in the middle of the snowy night. Woohyun's mouth curved up into a smirk as he eyed the figure until it disappeared completely.

 

      "Now I'll have to figure out a way to get things right. Since you know more than Myungsoo, I'm sure you know that I don't take 'no' for an answer, right Kim Sunggyu?"

 

Shoving his freezing hands inside his pockets, Woohyun walked to the opposite way Sunggyu was heading. Well, his home was never been in the same direction as Sunggyu's anyway. He was considering holding Sunggyu's hands, or probably making the redhead held his hand since they were freezing because of waiting for him. He was looking for an opportunity to walk Sunggyu home so that he would be able to know where Sunggyu's place is. And Woohyun wouldn't lie, he was actually thinking of getting inside his pants for a moment.

Because that's what he has been doing for the past few years with different people.

But he never expected the sting inside his chest when Sunggyu said no.

 

      "Both you and I have bulletproof hearts, huh?" Myungsoo smirked at Woohyun before he got pulled away by Sungyeol.

 

      "... Probably not exactly bulletproof..." Woohyun muttered as he walked along the dark street with only his shadow following him.

.

.

      "So why are you here?" Sungjong raised an eyebrow as Woohyun slumped himself onto the couch Sungjong had been sitting on. Woohyun glanced at the younger guy and shot him a smirk.

     "Do you really not know the reason why I am here?" Sungjong rolled his eyes at Woohyun's tone.

     "Don't give me that look. There's only one reason why you kept coming back here."

     "Then why did you even bother to ask?" Now it's Woohyun's turn to roll his eyes. Sungjong bit his lips and looked at the floor.

     "Because for once I want to hear a different answer other than things related to 'looking for a nice '."

 

Feeling the rays of light seeping through his window, Woohyun opened his eyes and slowly sat up on his bed. He rubbed his eyes before he glanced at the empty space next to him. That's the moment he noticed a piece of paper on the pillow. He looked at it and groaned almost instantly.

 

'What's with people telling me to get a lover?!' Woohyun thought with a frown.

 

      "You might not hear it coming from me anytime soon," Woohyun said with a shrug. Sungjong narrowed his eyes at him.

     "You're seriously something, Nam Woohyun."

 

'It's been fun last night. Thanks ;)

PS. I know I'm not in the position to say this, but I think you really need to get yourself a lover. You're a nice guy.'

 

     "So... I take it that the nice is already inside my place?" Woohyun immediately stood up.

     "... You seriously need something to warm that icy heart of yours. A cup of boiling coffee might help," Sungjong sighed as he shook his head.

 

At the word 'coffee', his thoughts wander to a certain hot coffee that's always served for him in that specific cafe. Woohyun touched his lips, strangely feeling the warmth under his cold fingers.

 

'The ability to warm someone's heart, huh..?' Woohyun chuckled to himself at the thought of Sunggyu's silly comment. Despite the fact that he's rejected by him, he still couldn't shook the images of Sunggyu out of his head.

 

'I guess it won't hurt to drop by once again.'