Then Darling Don't Refrain

November Rain

Seunghyun told his mom and secretary that he would be back in two days, he just needs to settle some business in the suburbs before going back to the city. He plans on taking Dara back with him to Seoul, he wants to get to know more about her and if she permits, he wants them to be more than just friends. He needs Dara now, he knows he's not strong enough not to get back into the whole "high society" lifestyle again and the only one who can keep him grounded is Dara. He know what he feels about Dara is beyond simple admiration and curiosity, he has never felt this way before about anything else. He decided that today he would confess his feelings to Dara and ask her to come with him.

He didn't prepare a romantic evening, he knows Dara will just cringe at the sight of roses and candles. Dara wasn't a romantic, she fancied herself as a realist and all those antics were just "foolish" for her. So to match Dara's personality, he decided to be natural and just take her out to the sea and confess to her there. Nothing fancy, just him showing his heart on his sleeve. He just hopes that Dara will feel the same way that he does.

After their shift at the center, they casually strolled on the beach, talking about anything and everything that came to their heads. It was just like any other day, until Seunghyun grabbed Dara's hands and placed it on his chest, earning him a raised eyebrow from the girl. 

"Dara, I need to go back to Seoul tomorrow," her eyebrow knits together "but before I do, there's one thing that I want you to know." Seunghyun releases one of Dara's hands and tucks a stray lock behind her ear. "I've fallen in love with you. I have never felt like this before and I am sure that this unsure feeling in my heart is love. I cannot bear to be separated from you. Even when we are just doors away from each other, I feel like you're a world away. Please come with me to Seoul. You can start anew there, with me."

Dara drops her gaze from Seunghyun, the hope in his eyes was squeezing her heart. She caresses his face, warmth visible from her eyes "I know you think what you have with me is love, I sometimes confuse myself with the emotion. However I believe that you are confusing your NEED of me with LOVE." She lets go of his face and pulls her hand away from his chest "You think that you cannot continue with your path because I will not be there to guide you, but that's where you're mistaken. I cannot walk your road for you and you cannot walk mine. I care for you, Seunghyun, I really do. I do not know if this is love, but know that you are important for me. It's too soon for me to decipher if what I have for you is love or not and I cannot drop everything just because you asked. I am happy here, and it's unfair of you to ask me to leave. Did you even think about things from my perspective?" Dara couldn't mask the hurt in her voice when she said that. Seunghyun felt guilty but he didn't want to be misunderstood.

"I am not asking you to drop what you've built for yourself and enter my life. I am just asking you to share what you have with me and I will share my happiness with you. You can continue being a social worker, it's an honorable vocation. But please hold my hand while I walk my dark road, you are the only light for me. I need you because I love you. I've never needed anyone before, I used to think I had what any man could ever want or need then I met you. When you came into my life, everything just seemed to come into perspective; what used to mean the world to mean didn't seem all that important anymore and the concept of Love and romance used to seem fiction but is now a blooming reality for me."

"You also know my stand about love, right? It's just a fleeting emotion. Look at my parents, their romance was one for the books until 'soulmates' became strangers and children became burdens. I cannot gamble everything I've built just because I think I am in love. I might be in love with you now, but what will happen when we fall out of love? When we realize that it was just an illusion? I cannot come with you to Seoul. I'm sorry."

"If you can't come to Seoul, then I shall stay here, I can leave the business to my mother and she can do as she pleases with it."

"As I said, I cannot make you decisions for you. You have your own life to live and I have mine. I will not deny I have feelings for you, but I will not allow you to let your life revolve around mine because I am not willing to do the same for you. Think about it more carefully, I thought you were a man of reason and not of impulse? Think about the long run." Dara turned around to leave but Seunghyun reached out and hugged her from behind.

"You said you have feelings for me, right? Then can you be my girlfriend? I won't ask you to leave, but can I at least have this title to hold on to?" He kisses the top of her head and turned her to face him. A knot in his chest was growing bigger, the reality of him being refused is dawning on him but it's too late to back down. He has to grasp the last remaining straw. He drops his gaze on his shoes, anxiously awaiting for Dara's answer.

Dara ducks her head to catch Seunghyun's attention, making him look at her teary eyes "Ok, I agree to being your girlfriend. But no more of this nonsense about relocating alright? It's not as if you are moving to another continent." Dara smiles at him and his worries seem to dissipate.

Finally, they came to an agreement. This is by far the most unromantic love story Seunghyun has ever encountered, but for him it was perfect.