If we Could Take the Time

November Rain

Seunghyun found Dara fascinating to say the least. He found out that she is a government worker, providing social services for the elderly. She could have had a career in the capital but requested to be transferred here in the suburbs. She lives alone but she doesn't seem lonely. She interacted with all walks of life regardless of their educational attainment and age. She was patient in dealing with drunk old men and whiney little children. For everyone in the community, Dara was a breath of fresh air. Now that's something since this is a rural land where fresh air shouldn't be a rarity. When Seunghyun found himself under the spotlight for his "gay" rumors, Dara was the one who stepped up for him and fended off any unwanted attention. She was well respected in the small community and Seunghyun couldn't help but find himself being drawn to the weird creature. She was kind, open hearted, open minded yet strong and feisty. She has a petite frame but her strength is like that of a mule; she can carry the load off your heart and ease your troubles with her wit and humor.

He has been in the suburbs for a couple of days now, people would expect him to be tired of the novelty of rural living but it's far from the truth. He is enjoying his stay here mostly because of his new friend, Dara. He can hardly stay away from the girl, he found himself volunteering in the center just to spend more time with her. During their time together alone, he found out things about her and vice versa. Seunghyun never opened up to anybody as much as he did Dara, there was something about her that made him put down his defenses; he didn't have to worry about the corporation, his status, or even the scandal, he can just be himself, whatever that means.

"Whenever I talk to you, I discover a lot about me. I never really thought about who I am as opposed to what I am. I've always been viewed as the 'Successor to the Dae Hwa Group' so I thought that's what I was. You really are a good social worker, I might need to donate more" Seunghyun confides in half jest.

"That generous donation would be highly appreciated, Mr. Choi" Dara said while flashing him her perfect smile. "I think that's what happens when you are far gone into society," Dara seriously said, humor gone from her eyes, "You let them tell you what you are instead of you discovering WHO you are. Sometimes people think that WHAT they are is WHO they're meant to be. They forget self-discovery and just conform to the norm because it's what they know and it's easier than being who they want to be. That's why I extracted myself from that quagmire, it suffocated me." Dara declares with bright eyes, no hint of sorrow in her eyes.

"What gave you the courage to stop conforming? Did you really have to leave?"

"My life was turned upside down; what I am suddenly didn't matter and I found myself lost in the world I used to belong in. So Mr. Choi, you don't have to be afraid to come out. Embrace who you are and don't let society judge you. We will be here to support your homouality." Dara spreads her arms wide as if to give him a hug, Seunghyun was beyond shocked. After a few seconds, Dara bursts out laughing.

"Yah! Some screws might be missing from your head. Come let me fix it for you!" Seunghyun lunges for Dara aiming his knuckles on her head.. Dara runs away while clutching her stomach.

This is how most of their days pass, oscillating from a serious conversation about life then poking fun at each other. This is the lightest that Seunghyun has ever felt in his life, and it's all thanks to Dara.

It's been more than a week since he came here to hide and he's becoming more and more attached to the place, more especially to the girl who gave him more than he could ever wish for, a sense of self. He almost dreads having to come back to work. He found himself wondering if he could just leave it all behind, he wasn't attached to his wealth nor the society he used to be a part of. Maybe he can be like Dara, start a new life with his new-found strength. But as fate would have it, reality beckons and a dreaded call arrives. His mother and their legal department has settled the issue, it was now safe for him to come back to his old life. But is it what he wants? Is it what he needs? One thing's for certain, he needs to come clean with Dara first.