Wish Part 5

One kiss, One heart

Couldn't PM: sone#12, √on,

 

Wish

 

Part 5 [Final]

 

 

It was like a dream for Jessica. After that night, Taeyeon and her had literally went back to the way they were before everything happened. In just two days, they became that inseparable couple again that everyone adored and deemed perfect back in the days. They even started visiting Krystal together at the orphanage every day without fail. If Krystal didn’t live in the orphanage, one would concluded that the three of them were a real family.

 

 

Taeyeon was exceptionally delighted to see Jessica and Krystal grow closer. Seeing Jessica and Krystal’s relationship blossom, Taeyeon can’t help but believe Jessica’s words about Krystal being her daughter. It’s hard not to when they practically act like mother and daughter when they're together. Over the course of three days, the mother and daughter’s relationship has improved significantly. Krystal especially has grown attached to Jessica. Krystal adores Jessica so much that she even calls her umma.

 

 

Taeyeon was quite surprise that the two clicked right away. She didn’t think they would grow this close with each other. In the past, Krystal had a difficult time opening up to strangers. She was a very timid girl and she’d often play alone by herself. The only people she interacts with at the orphanage was Hara and Nana, Taeyeon included when she’d make her visits. Now she has Jessica to add to the list as well.

 

 

Taeyeon couldn’t be any happier. She was glad that Jessica and Krystal have gotten closer. She could tell Jessica was exceptionally happy whenever she spent time with Krystal. Just like how Jessica promised that night, Jessica was definitely making an effort to make Krystal feel loved and cared for. She could tell that Jessica was gradually forgiving herself for her mistakes in past and is making up for it every day without fail by showering Krystal with the much needed affection. Having these two girls with her, Taeyeon was content.

 

 

.

 

 

“Do you think Krystal will like the gift I got for her?” Jessica asked as she fiddled with the box inside the shopping bag next to her seat. She was nervous. She was scared that Krystal might not fancy her gift even though she was 99.9% certain she would.

 

 

“I’m sure she’ll love it.” Taeyeon assured her, giving her hand a gentle squeeze.

 

 

“I hope so.”

 

 

Today was Krystal’s birthday. Taeyeon and Jessica went shopping the day before to prepare for Krystal’s party that they had planned to throw for her at the orphanage today. It was Jessica’s idea to throw the party for the little girl. Despite Nana’s protests, Jessica still insisted on throwing the party. She was even willing to shoulder all of the expense. Taeyeon was so amazed by the Jessica’s persistence that she volunteered to shoulder the expense with her as well. Krystal is her daughter after all.

 

 

.

 

 

“Happy birthday sweetie!” Jessica cooed as she scooped her little girl up from the ground. “Come, mommy has a surprise for you!” Jessica brought her into the bedroom, away from the clutter in the dining room and the sugar-induced children running around the room.

 

 

She set Krystal down on the bed and reached for the shopping bag under the bed. “Happy birthday Krys!” Jessica greeted again as she handed her the shopping bag.

 

 

Krystal took out the box and excitedly tore it open. Her eyes widened when she saw what was inside. It was a doll. But not just any doll. It was the doll that she has been wanting to get ever since she saw it on a commercial on TV. A bright smile adorned her face.

 

 

“Uwah! How you know Kwystal like this doll?” Krystal asked her mother as she eyed her new toy with glee.

 

 

“Of course I’d know. I’m your umma after all.” Jessica said proudly.

 

 

Krystal smiled at her mother. “Thanks umma!” She said gratefully before pecking her mother on the lips.

 

 

“You’re welcome sweetie.” Jessica said, giving Krystal a quick hug.

 

 

When they pulled away, Krystal began playing with the toy on the bed.

 

 

Jessica watched her with a satisfied smile.

 

 

Truthfully, the reason why she knew about the doll was because her own Krystal in the other universe has been raving about the same doll for weeks. Taeyeon was actually the one who told her about how their daughter has been raving about that one particular doll. Of course at that time, Jessica was too preoccupied with her work that she failed to notice Krystal’s sudden interest in the doll so Taeyeon got it for her instead.

 

 

Thinking about those days, Jessica felt guilty. That’s why when Taeyeon mentioned Krystal’s oncoming birthday, Jessica decided that she'd get the doll for her daughter because she wanted to be the one to give it to her baby girl in this universe. As much as possible, she wants to shower her child with the love she wasn’t able to provide for her in the other universe.

 

 

Jessica was awoken from her thoughts when she felt two arms slip around her waist. A chin propped itself on her shoulder and sweet lips kissed her on the cheek.

 

 

“Told ya she’ll love it.” Taeyeon whispered in her ears.

 

 

Jessica leaned back into Taeyeon’s embrace and placed her hands on top of Taeyeon’s arms that were wrapped tightly around her petite waist. Taeyeon placed a light kiss on her neck. Jessica sighed dreamily.

 

 

“Yes, yes. You’re always right.”

 

 

“Hehe, I know.” Taeyeon said smugly.

 

 

Jessica was about to pinch her for being too cocky when a knock interrupted them.

 

 

Taeyeon looked over her shoulder and smiled to see her Nana standing by the door.

 

 

“Taeyeon-ah. Can I have a word with you?”

 

 

Taeyeon stared at her Nana. For some reason she didn’t look too happy.

 

 

“Uh, sure.” Taeyeon released Jessica. “I’ll be right back, Sica.” Taeyeon said as she placed another kiss on Jessica’s cheek.

When Taeyeon was out of the room, Jessica crawled over to where Krystal was playing and started playing with her.

 

 

======

 

 

Ring. Ring. Ring.

 

 

“Sica-ah, can you get that for me!”

 

 

“I’ll get it!”

 

 

Jessica ran towards the phone and answered it.

 

 

“Hello?”

 

 

“Hello? Taeyeon? Is that you?”

 

 

Jessica quirked a brow. It was a man’s voice. Who could it be?

 

 

“Uh, this isn’t Taeyeon. May I ask who this is?”

 

 

“Ah. This is Junsu. Taeyeon’s fiancé.”

 

 

Jessica froze.

 

 

“And who is this I’m speaking to?”

 

 

“I’m J-Jessica. Taeyeon’s friend.”

 

 

“Oh, hello. Is Taeyeon in? May I please speak to her?”

 

 

“Uh…T-Taeyeon is not in right now. She just...stepped out of the house not too long ago.” She lied. “Is there a message you’d like for me to convey to her?”

 

 

“Ah yes, there is. When she gets back, can you please tell her to call me right away? There are some important things I need to speak to her about regarding our wedding.”

 

 

“S-sure.”

 

 

“Thank you very much! Good bye!”

 

 

With that, Junsu hung up the phone. Even after he hung up, Jessica still had the phone in her ears. She was lost in thoughts.

 

 

“Who was that?” Taeyeon asked as she strolled out of the bathroom in a towel. This woke Jessica up from her thoughts.

 

 

“N-no one. Just a telemarketer.” Jessica lied. She didn’t want to tell Taeyeon it was her fiancé. She was scared that if she mentioned her fiancé, Taeyeon’s feelings may waver. And she didn’t want that. As selfish as that sounds, Jessica wants Taeyeon all to herself. She’s confident she can win her back fully.  

 

 

Taeyeon nodded. “Anyway, come help me change! I don’t know what to wear for my interview.” She pouted.

 

 

“B-be right there!” Jessica said glancing back at the phone one last time. She felt guilty.

 

 

I’m doing the right thing…right?

 

 

“Sica!”

Hearing Taeyeon call her, she shook her thoughts away and hurried over to Taeyeon’s room. 

 

 

======

 

 

Ring. Ring. Ring.

 

 

Taeyeon glanced over her shoulder to see her phone blinking in the dark on the other end of the room.

 

 

“Just a second, Sica. I have to go answer that.”

 

 

“No! Don’t go! This is the best part of the movie!” Jessica pouted cutely as she clung onto Taeyeon’s arm like a little girl.

 

 

Taeyeon chuckled.

 

 

“Don’t worry, sweetie. I’ll be back soon, okay? In the mean time, don’t finish up the popcorn. Save some for me you fatty!” Taeyeon teased.

 

 

“Yah! I’m not a fatty!” Jessica pouted.

 

 

Taeyeon chuckled some more. “I’m just kidding.” She quickly planted a chaste kiss on Jessica’s crown before jogging over to her phone.

 

 

“Hello?”

 

 

“Taeyeon-ah! Hey love!”

 

 

Taeyeon froze upon hearing the familiar voice. She hasn’t heard from him in a while. Actually, ever since she started her rendezvous with Jessica, she has completely forgotten about his existence.

 

 

Taeyeon gulped. “J-Junsu?”

 

 

“Yup! How come you didn’t call back? I’ve been waiting for your call the entire day.”

 

 

Taeyeon frowned. “You called? When?”

 

 

“This morning. I told your friend to tell you to call me back. Did she not tell you?”

 

 

Taeyeon glanced towards Jessica who was laughing hysterically at the movie. Her frowned deepened.

 

 

Why didn’t she tell me?

 

 

“Taeyeon-ah?”

 

 

“Uh…yeah…she did. I-I just forgot to call. I was busy.” She lied.

 

 

“Oh. It’s fine. Anyway, I just called to tell you that I’ll be back tomorrow morning! I’m on the plane as we speak! Can’t wait to see you love!”

 

 

“M-me too.” Was the only thing Taeyeon could say.

 

 

She felt uneasy and didn’t have the heart to return Junsu’s sentiments when she has been fooling around with someone else for the past week. Wait. That’s not right. What she has been doing with Jessica wasn’t ‘fooling around.’ Her feelings for her were real. Oddly enough, she doesn’t regret ever getting together with Jessica. She likes her very much. No scratch that. She loves her very much. The only thing she regrets is loving two people at the same time. She’s clearly aware that at one point she’s going to have to hurt one of them. But who?

 

 

“Anyway, see you soon Taeng! Night!”

 

 

After Junsu hung up, Taeyeon still had the phone in her ears. She was lost in thought.

 

 

“Taeyeon-ah! Come back here! You’re missing the movie!”

 

 

She glanced towards Jessica's direction. Her heart softened upon the sight of Jessica smiling from ear to ear. She can’t bear to destroy that happiness. But she can’t bear to break Junsu’s happiness either. Now she could understand why Jessica never told her about the phone call.

 

 

She frowned.

 

 

D*mn. What do I do?

 

 

“Taengoo!” Jessica called out once more.

 

 

Taeyeon snapped out of her thoughts and smiled as she went back to the couch where her lover sat.

 

 

As soon as she sat down, Jessica immediately snuggled up next to her. Her hands instinctively wound itself around Jessica’s waist.

 

 

======

 

 

Ding dong.

 

 

The door opened revealing a chuckling Taeyeon. Taeyeon’s face immediately contorted into that of a petrified look as if she was caught doing something wrong when she saw Jessica standing before her.

 

 

Jessica didn’t notice the look and proceeded to hug Taeyeon instead.

 

 

“Taengoo I missed you last night.”

 

 

“J-Jessica…”

 

 

Jessica slightly pulled away and looked at Taeyeon, her arms hung loosely around Taeyeon’s waist.

 

 

“I could have just stayed over last night instead of going home Taengoo. Why’d you make me go home?” Jessica pouted.

 

 

“Uh…Jessica I—”

 

 

Before Taeyeon could say anything further, a man’s voice echoed from inside the house.

 

 

“Taeyeoh-ah! Who’s at the door?”

 

 

Jessica’s eyes widened in shock. She recognized that voice.

 

 

She shifted her eyes nervously to Taeyeon. “T-Taeyeon…was that…?”

 

Taeyeon nodded sadly.

 

 

Jessica’s arm slowly fell from Taeyeon’s waist. The lost of Jessica’s body warmth made Taeyeon panic. She tried to grab a hold of her fleeting arms but before she could do so, she was interrupted by someone.

 

 

“Sica I—”

 

 

“There you are!” Two muscular arms made its way around Taeyeon’s waist pulling her back towards the body of the person back hugging her.

 

 

Jessica watched begrudgingly as the man holding her wife peppered kisses on her neck and her jaw giving her a show that she didn’t want to see.

 

 

Taeyeon could do nothing as Junsu showered her with love and affection while her other lover witness this intimacy. Jessica had on a blank look on her face but Taeyeon knew she was just masking her true feelings; her eyes betrayed her. It hurt Taeyeon to do this in front of the person she loves. She could only imagine how much Jessica is suffering right now having to be forced to witness this. Taeyeon bit her lip guiltily.

 

 

As the seconds ticked by, Taeyeon knew she had to stop this and protect Jessica. Quick on her feet, Taeyeon hastily untangled Junsu’s arms around her waist and pushed him back a little to create a distance between him and herself. “Junsu, be polite. There’s a guest.” She said uncomfortably as she tried to search for Jessica’s eyes to check if she was alright, but Jessica was avoiding her eyes. She wouldn’t look at her. It pained Taeyeon that Jessica’s avoiding her.

 

 

“Oh. Sorry about that.” Junsu said sheepishly. He rested his hands on Taeyeon’s hip and perched his chin on Taeyeon’s shoulder. “Who is this, jagiya?”

 

 

Something cut through Jessica’s heart when he called her ‘jagiya.’

 

 

I should be calling her that. Not him. It hurts so much Taeyeon-ah, to hear someone else call you that besides me.

 

 

Jessica fought hard not to break down in front of them.

 

 

“Is she one of your friends? I don’t think I’ve met her before.”

 

 

Taeyeon could tell Jessica was breaking. She nonchalantly pried Junsu’s hands off her hip and just held them instead to prevent him from groping her anywhere else and hurt Jessica even more. “Uh…yeah.” As much as it hurt to lie about her relationship with Jessica, it hurt even more to say what she was about to say next. “Junsu, this is Jessica, my…friend. And Jessica. This is Junsu…my fiancé.”

 

 

Jessica’s heart literally ripped apart in to two upon hearing Taeyeon’s grueling introduction.

 

 

A friend. Of course I’m just a friend. What the hell did I expect? Jessica thought bitterly. She hates that word; especially when it comes out of Taeyeon’s mouth in the same sentence as her name.

 

 

It broke Taeyeon’s heart to describe their relationship in that way but she has no choice. She can’t reveal to Junsu her secret relationship with Jessica. If she does, not only will she hurt Jessica but she’ll also hurt Junsu. The least she could do is spare one of them the heartache.

 

 

“Ah, nice to meet you Jessica-sshi. Please do come in. Taeyeon-ah here baked some cookies! They’re still fresh and warm, you should try some!”

 

 

“Uh…no, thank you. It’s okay. I just came by to drop this off.” Jessica said handing Taeyeon a manila envelope. For a second they make eye contact, but it was too much for Jessica so she quickly averts her gaze elsewhere. That was a stab to Taeyeon’s heart. “I’ll be off then. It was nice meeting you Junsu-sshi. Taeyeon.” Jessica still refused to make eye contact with Taeyeon so she just gave a cordial bow to the couple before hurrying off towards the lift.

 

 

A piece of Taeyeon’s heart broke with every step that Jessica took farther away from her. She also knew that with every step, a piece of Jessica’s heart broke as well. She knew she had to go after her. She can’t just let her leave in pain.

 

 

“Junsu-ah, I’m going to walk Jessica out.” Without even waiting for a reply, Taeyeon dashed towards the elevator leaving Junsu confused by the door.

 

 

The elevator doors were about to close, but in the nick of time, Taeyeon was able to intercept it with her foot and the doors reopened. As soon as it opened, Taeyeon’s heart dropped at the sight of Jessica curled up at the corner of the lift, crying in agony.

 

 

Without hesitation, Taeyeon stepped inside the lift, crouched down in front of Jessica, and pulled the crying girl into her protective arms. She held her tightly, rocking her back and forth, and murmuring the words ‘I’m sorry’ over and over again in Jessica’s ears.

 

 

The two stayed in each other’s arms throughout the whole ride.

 

 

As they reached the lobby, Taeyeon gently pulled Jessica up to her feet. The two stepped out of the lift.

 

 

“Sica…” Taeyeon cooed as she held her hand tenderly.

 

 

Jessica still refuses to look at her and she won’t speak to her either. Jessica was angry at Taeyeon for the way she treated her in front of her fiancé. She was truly hurt by her words and by her actions, though she knew the real reason behind her hurtful behavior, she still can’t help but spite Taeyeon for it.

 

 

“I’m going to visit Krystal. Are you coming?” Jessica said out of nowhere.

 

 

Taeyeon showed confliction. “You know I want to but I—I can’t. Junsu…I can’t leave him.”

 

 

Jessica tried to blink away the tears that were building up in her eyes again. She can’t believe it. She’s still siding with her fiancé even when it came to choosing whether to spend time with her daughter or her fiancé.

 

 

“Why not? It’s Krystal. We already made a plan to visit her today. We promised that we’d visit together too.”

 

 

Taeyeon let out a tired sigh and raked her fingers through her hair. “I know. I know we did but…Junsu…”

 

 

Jessica’s blood boiled at Taeyeon’s incessant mention of Junsu’s name in her every explanation. She snapped. “What about him, huh? So he’s more important than visiting your own daughter?”

 

 

“That’s not what I meant. You have to understand—Junsu—he’s my fiancé. I—I can’t just leave him up there by himself. He has been so excited to see me and spend time with me the entire day—the entire week while he’s away to be exact. I—I also promised him that I would spend the entire day with him and I can’t break that promise.”

 

 

“And why not? What about the promise you made to Krystal? You’re just going to disregard that?”

 

 

“No. Of course not. I want to be there for her too but Junsu is more important right now okay? Can’t you just be a little more understanding of my situation?” Taeyeon was becoming exasperated by the minute.

 

 

For some reason, this altercation reminded Jessica so much of the altercation Taeyeon and her had in their apartment except the roles have been reversed. This time, Taeyeon is the one asking her to be more understanding while Jessica is the one trying to persuade the latter otherwise.

 

 

“I’m trying, but you’re not making it easy!” Jessica spat.

 

 

Taeyeon scoffed. “I’m not making it easy? You’re the one being unreasonable right now! I just want to spend some time with my fiancé, is that too much to ask? I want to visit Krystal too but right now I can’t! My fiancé is up there waiting for me to return! I can’t just leave him for some kid in an orphanage that I can just visit another day!”

 

 

Jessica was disgusted at the way Taeyeon described Krystal. “What is wrong with you? Krystal is not just another kid in an orphanage, she’s someone special! But whatever right? It’s not like she’s your daughter or anything!” Jessica spat back angrily. She can’t believe Taeyeon will regard her daughter as just some ‘kid’ in an orphanage. Krystal is more than that. Much, much more than that.

 

 

Taeyeon clenched her jaw. She tried to hold herself back, she really did, but Jessica just pushed her over the edge.

 

 

“You’re right.” Taeyeon retorted. “She’s not my daughter so why should I care? That kid is not my child! Krystal is not my daughter and she never will be so just leave me the hell alone!”

 

 

Jessica was appalled. She couldn’t believe she just said that. Taeyeon, of all people, just said that about their daughter. She couldn’t stop herself. Before she knew it, she swung her palm across Taeyeon’s cheek so hard that it sent Taeyeon stumbling to the ground.

 

 

Taeyeon fell flat on her back. For a moment, she was stunned and just laid there as the searing pain consumed her right cheek.

Cupping her cheek with her right hand, she slowly raised her gaze to look at Jessica with wide eyes.

 

 

Jessica stepped forward and towered over Taeyeon.

 

 

Taeyeon gulped.

 

 

“You…” Jessica gritted as she pointed a trembling finger towards Taeyeon. “You can hurt me all you want. You can hurl any degrading words and insults to me all you want. You can even hit me for all I care, but don’t you ever! Ever! Hurt Krystal! Don’t you ever say those things about our daughter again! I swear if you say another hurtful thing about Krystal, you’ll regret it!” Jessica screamed at the petrified Taeyeon.

 

 

Taeyeon remained immobile. She didn’t dare move, afraid that Jessica might hit her again.

 

 

Casting Taeyeon one last cold, hard glare, Jessica stormed off, leaving a shaken Taeyeon behind.

 

 

======

 

 

Jessica wiped away the lingering tears on her face before entering the orphanage. When she opened the front door, she was greeted my emptiness. The kids must be outside, she surmised. But where was Nana? She should be inside.

 

 

Jessica strolled inside, her eyes searching for any familiar faces but couldn’t find any.

 

 

Jessica walked towards the end of the hall towards Krystal’s room. She knocked lightly on the door before opening it slightly and sticking her head inside. Her forlorn face immediately brightened upon spotting her little angel standing by the windowsill looking out in the backyard.

 

 

“Krystal?” She called out softly.

 

 

The little girl spun around to face Jessica revealing her tear stained face.

 

 

Jessica was taken aback when she saw tears running down the girl’s face. “Krystal what’s—” Before she could finish her question, Krystal tackled her with a hug.

 

 

“Umma!” Krystal cried as she tried to climb into her mother’s arms.

 

 

Jessica wrapped her arms around the little girl, picking her up from the ground. She gave the little girl a gentle squeeze and peppered her reddened cheeks with loving kisses.

 

 

“Hi sweetie.” Jessica said tenderly.

 

 

Krystal began sobbing in her mother’s neck causing the crease on Jessica’s forehead to deepen. Jessica was worried.

 

 

“What’s wrong, sweetie? Why are you crying? Did something happen?”

 

 

“Umma…Kwystal no –hiccup-leave.” Begged the little girl.

 

 

Jessica was confused by what Krystal meant. With her palm, she her daughter's back comfortingly to calm her down.

 

 

“What are you talking about honey? Of course you’re not leaving. What makes you think you’ll leave?”

 

 

“Th-they here. They go take K-Kwystal away. They make me go. But I don’t –hiccup- wanna go! Don’t make Kwystal go mommy! Don’ lettem take Kwystal away!” Krystal buried her face deeper into her mother’s neck and sobbed louder.

 

 

Now Jessica was very confused. Very, very confused and worried. Her daughter is clearly petrified about something, but what exactly is making her daughter this agitated? Who’s going to take her away?

 

 

Jessica walked over to Krystal’s bed and carefully laid her there. She tried to make Krystal sit on the edge of the bed, but whenever she starts pulling away from the embrace, Krystal would quickly jump back in her arms and cling back to her neck.

 

 

“It’s okay, sweetie. Listen to mommy okay? Right now, I just need you to sit on the bed and talk to mommy okay?” Krystal shook her head ‘no,’ adamant at staying in her mother’s arms. “Krystal, please let go of mommy and sit on the bed so we could talk? Please, trust mommy. I won’t leave you okay? I promise. I just need to talk to you, that’s all. Please, Krystal?”

 

 

She gave Krystal the most sincere look she can muster, and soon, Krystal untangled her limbs from her mother and sat properly on the bed.

 

 

“Good girl.” Jessica smiled. She held Krystal’s hands in her hands and gave them a gentle squeeze. “Now tell mommy what’s going on, honey. What do you mean they’re going to take you away? Who’s going to take you away?”

 

 

Krystal sniffled. “T-the Lees. They go take Kwystal away.”

 

 

“The Lees?”

 

 

Krystal nodded.

 

 

“They come take Kwystal far, far away.”

 

 

The Lees are going to take her away? Who are the Lees?

 

 

And just then, the gears in Jessica’s head began working overtime as she finally realized what Krystal meant by taking her away far, far away. It only means one thing; she’s going to get adopted by the Lees. They’re going to become Krystal’s new family.

 

 

Time froze for Jessica as she realized the implications of her daughter’s words.

 

 

No. No. No! No!!!!

 

 

Jessica panicked.

 

 

“Krystal, honey, did you pack your things?” Krystal nodded. “Where are they, sweetie? Where are you bags?”

 

 

Krystal pointed to the suitcase and the duffle bag by the side of the bed.

 

 

Jessica’s heart began racing. No! They’re going to take her away! They’re going to take my daughter away!

 

 

She has to do something. They can’t let them take her daughter away, not when she has finally rebuilt her relationship with her daughter. Not now.

 

 

Jessica stood up and grabbed Krystal’s suitcase and duffle bag.

 

 

“Come, Krystal. I’m taking you away.” Jessica said slinging the duffle bag over her shoulders and dragging the suitcase behind her.

 

 

“Umma take Kwystal home?”

 

 

Jessica nodded. She grabbed Krystal’s small hand and gently tugged on it. “Yes. Come. Let’s go before they come—”

 

 

Suddenly, the door opened. Jessica froze. Her hand automatically tightened its hold on Krystal’s hand and pushing the little girl behind her in a protective stance like a lioness protecting its cub.

 

 

“Jessica-sshi. What are you—” Nana stopped talking when she saw the suitcase in Jessica’s hand, the duffle bag slung over her shoulders, and the little girl’s hand held tightly on the other. She knew what Jessica was planning to do.

 

 

Jessica gulped. She’s been caught. But despite being caught red-handed, it won’t stop her from doing what she needs to do even if it means being arrested for kidnapping. Yes. She’s going to kidnap her baby.

 

 

“Jessica-sshi…please don’t do this.” Nana reasoned.

 

 

Jessica bit her bottom lip. “Why? Why didn’t you tell me about this, Nana?” She felt hurt that she was kept in the dark about such a serious matter all this time. The woman saw their relationship grow every day and she was aware of how important Krystal has become in her life, so why? Why didn’t she tell her about this?

 

 

“I’m so sorry, Jessica. I-I didn’t have the heart to tell you, dear. I told Taeyeon a couple of days ago, hoping that she’ll break the news to you—”

 

 

“Taeyeon knew? She knew?” Jessica asked, hurt.

 

 

“She…didn’t tell you?”

 

 

Jessica shook her head. Her heart painfully constricted in her chest as she realized that her loved one didn’t even bother to tell her about their daughter's adoption.

 

 

Tears burned in her eyes.

 

 

How could she? How could Taeyeon not tell her about this?

 

 

Betrayed. She felt betrayed by the one she loves.

 

 

“Jessica-sshi…”

 

 

Jessica wiped the tears with the back of her hands. Sniffling, she straightened herself up and faced the older woman.

 

 

“I’m sorry, Nana, but I have to do this. I’ll take full responsibility for my actions. I’m sorry.” Jessica brushed past Nana with Krystal quietly in tow behind her.

 

 

Nana could only stand there and allow Jessica to walk away. She didn’t have the heart to stop the younger girl. She knows how much Jessica have grown fond of the little girl and Krystal likewise. She knows Krystal meant a lot to Jessica so she could sympathize why Jessica would want to take Krystal away with her. If she could, she’d give the little girl to Jessica, she really would, but the documents have already been finalized weeks ago before Jessica and Krystal have officially met. If she could turn back time, she would. But everything’s done. She can’t do anything about it anymore.

 

 

Nana sighed as she watched Jessica and Krystal hop on a taxi from the window inside. She walked towards the phone and dialed the person she knew would be able to put some sense into Jessica.

 

 

.

 

 

Jessica shut the door. She looked towards the window and saw Nana with a distressed look on her face. She felt bad for doing this to her, but she was determined to take Krystal away.

 

 

“Umma?”

 

 

Jessica woke from her reverie and looked down at Krystal who has snuggled up to her body. “Yes, sweetie?”

 

 

“Where we go?”

 

 

“Home.” Jessica said as she kissed Krystal’s temple.

 

 

The little girl nodded.

 

 

Before long Krystal has fallen asleep.

 

 

It didn’t take them long to reach the train station.

 

 

The cab driver helped her out with the luggage.

 

 

“Thank you.” Jessica said gratefully as she handed her the fare.

 

 

Jessica turned around ready to walk away when she heard the cab driver click her tongue.

 

 

“Still naughty aren’t we?” She said in a tone that sent shivers down Jessica’s back.

 

 

Jessica froze.

 

 

That voice. It sounded all too familiar to her.

 

 

She spun around to confront the nosey cab driver, but to her surprise he was gone.

 

 

“H-how…?”

 

 

======

 

 

“Ow! Junsu!”

 

 

“Sorry!” Junsu chuckled.

 

 

The two have been enjoying playing Wii Sports for the past hour. At first Taeyeon wasn’t into the game for she was distracted by the altercation she had with Jessica earlier. But Junsu’s incessant nagging and annoyingly infectious laughter took her mind off her worries and now the two were enjoying each other’s company like a perfect couple would.

 

 

In the middle of their game, the phone rang.

 

 

“Ignore it!” Junsu said when he saw Taeyeon ready to put the controller down. He told her the same thing when her phone started ringing half an hour ago.

 

 

Taeyeon did as she was told and continued playing. The phone eventually stopped ringing.

 

 

Two minutes later, the phone started ringing again.

 

 

“Ignore it!” Junsu said again.

 

 

Taeyeon was reluctant, but she did as she was told. The phone stopped ringing.

 

 

A minute later, the phone went off again.

 

 

Junsu was about to yell out the same thing, but Taeyeon shut him up with a kiss.

 

 

“Don’t say ‘ignore it’ because clearly it doesn’t want me to ignore it.” Taeyeon giggled. “I’ll be back.” Putting the Wii controller down on the coffee table, she strutted over towards the phone. She took the cordless phone to the kitchen where it was more quiet.

 

 

“Hello?”

 

 

“Taeng!”

 

 

“Oh, Soo. What’s up?”

 

 

“Oh my god Taeng! You will not believe what just happened!”

 

 

Taeyeon creased her brows. “What happened?”

 

 

“Jessica…”

 

 

The way Sooyoung said her name got Taeyeon’s heart racing. They didn’t leave on a good note this morning and for all she knows Jessica could have done something awful to herself. She started panicking. All sorts of dreadful scenarios popped in her head.

 

 

“Jessica? What about Jessica? Did something happen to her? What happened to her? Tell me what happened! Choi Sooyoung god*mit what happened to Jessica!?”

 

 

“Jessica kidnapped Krystal!”

 

 

======

 

 

“Where are they?” Taeyeon asked as soon as Sooyoung opened the door for her.

 

 

“They’re in the guest bedroom over here.” Sooyoung quickly led Taeyeon towards the bedroom that Jessica and Krystal were currently occupying.

 

 

As they walked, Taeyeon asked a question. “So what exactly happened? Do you know why she took the kid?”

 

 

“I…don’t know why she would kidnap the girl. Jessica…she came in here this afternoon with a suitcase and a duffle bag in tow. At first I was confused. I was trying to understand why she would have those bags with her, but then I saw the kid behind her. That’s when she told me what she had just done! She told me that she kidnapped her! I almost passed out right then and there! Could you believe it? My cousin who’s as lazy as a pig would actually kidnap someone!” Sooyoung stopped all of a sudden almost knocking Taeyeon out. She faced the shorter girl and held on to her arm desperately. “Please Taeng, do something! Talk some sense into her! I don’t want to be an accessory to a kidnapping! I’m too young to go to jail! The foods in prisons are as terrible as the foods in the hospitals! I can’t live off those disgusting things! Help me!!” Sooyoung cried hysterically.

 

 

Taeyeon could only pat the girl on the back. “I-I’ll to talk her out of it. Don’t worry Soo, you won’t have to live off…prison food.”

 

 

Sooyoung nodded gratefully before retreating back into the kitchen to console herself with the new cake she baked that morning.

 

 

Hesitating, Taeyeon stood nervously in front of the door, wondering what they were doing inside. Instead of opening the door, she leaned face to the door and pressed her ear on the surface to get a hint of what the two girls might be doing inside. She couldn’t hear anything. It was quiet. Too quiet. Out of nowhere, she heard a giggling and then a yelp that sounded like Krystal’s voice. Upon hearing another yelp from the little girl, she pushed open the door revealing Jessica and Krystal in the middle of a tickle fight. Taeyeon blinked as she stared at the two girls sprawled on top of the bed.

 

 

“Taeyeon.” 

 

 

Taeyeon gave an awkward smile and a did a small wave. Jessica didn’t smile back and just frowned.

 

 

“Umma!” Krystal jumped out bed and rushed over to her other mother figure.

 

 

“Hey, Krys.” Taeyeon greeted as she got down to Krystal’s level and engulfed the little girl into a hug.

 

 

After they pulled away, Krystal tugged on her hand and dragged her towards the bed where they joined Jessica.

 

 

The three played for a while until Krystal fell asleep. As soon as the two older women were sure the little one was deep into slumber, they made their exit out of the room and settled in the living room to talk. Jessica sat on one end of the couch while Taeyeon sat on the other end. They were quiet for a while until Jessica decided to break the ice.

 

 

“Why didn’t you tell me?” Jessica started.

 

 

Taeyeon raised a brow. “Tell you about what?”

 

 

“About the Lee’s adoption of Krystal.”

 

 

Taeyeon’s eyes almost bulged out of her sockets. She totally forgot all about it! She mentally berated herself for forgetting.

 

 

“They were going to take her away today, but obviously that didn’t happen because…you know.” Jessica said referring to what she had just done an hour ago. “Why didn’t you tell me? Why Taeyeon? How can you keep something so important like that away from me? You knew how much I loved Krystal but you didn’t even bother to let me know about her adoption? How can you do this to me?” Jessica accused angrily. Of course she felt betrayed. Who wouldn’t when the love of your life kept something so important like that away from you.

 

 

Taeyeon felt guilty and apologetic that she has forgotten to tell Jessica about Krystal’s adoption. “I’m really sorry Jessica. I didn’t mean to keep it away from you. I-I was planning on telling you about it, but…it slipped off my mind. I-I forgot. I’m sorry.” Taeyeon said sincerely as she lowered her head.

 

 

“You forgot?” Jessica scoffed. “Is she really that insignificant to you that you’d let it slip off your mind so easily?”

 

 

Taeyeon snapped her gaze up. “No. No, of course not. Krystal is very important to me too, you know that, it’s just…it’s just…” She knew full well no excuse would be sufficient enough to justify her mistake. She forgot about it and that’s the truth. She needs to own up to her own mistake instead of making excuses. “Look, Jessica, I know I’m at fault for forgetting, but just because I forgot about it doesn’t mean Krystal is automatically unimportant to me because we both know full well that she isn’t. She is as important to me as you are to me.” Taeyeon said taking a hold of Jessica’s hand. “I love that girl as much as you love her and you know that. I just honestly forgot about the whole matter and for that I’m terribly sorry, Jessica. I hurt you and I’m sorry.”

 

 

Jessica looked away, avoiding the latter’s gaze. She didn’t want to yield to Taeyeon’s pleading eyes and give in immediately. She’s angry at her for not telling her about it, especially because she already planned out their future together.

 

 

Jessica pulled her hand away from Taeyeon’s grasp, causing Taeyeon to frown at the lost of warmth, and pulled it over her lap.

 

 

“Did you at least look at the contents of the manila envelope that I dropped off to you this morning?” She asked, changing the subject.

 

 

Taeyeon took a glance at Jessica before settling her gaze back down on her lap and shook her head, no.

 

 

“What…was inside?”

 

 

“Adoption papers.”

 

 

Taeyeon snapped her head up again. “A-adoption papers?” She asked, stunned.

 

 

“Yes. Adoption papers. I wanted to talk to you about it this morning because I wanted to adopt Krystal but…you had…company.”

 

 

Taeyeon was at lost for words. She was shocked. She didn’t think Jessica would actually contemplate about adopting the little girl despite knowing how much Jessica have grown fond of her. She didn’t see this coming, but she should have. It was obvious from the way Jessica cared so much about the child. She should have expected this. Now she feels even more horrible for forgetting.

 

 

“Jessica…I’m really, really sorry. I didn’t know you wanted to adopt Krystal. If I knew you were planning this, I would have—”

 

 

“You would have what, Taeyeon?” Jessica snapped.

 

 

When their eyes met, Taeyeon’s heart broke at the sight of Jessica’s anguish and tear-stained face. It was the second time today that she had made the girl cry and it just tears her heart knowing that she’s the cause for her tears. It wasn’t supposed to be like this. She was supposed to make her happy not sad.

 

 

“I’m…really sorry, Jessica.”

 

 

======

 

 

Taeyeon closed the door softly behind her after tucking Jessica into bed along with the little girl. Today was such an emotionally exhausting day. And to think that her wedding was just in two days. D*mn, what is she going to do?

 

 

“Taeng.”

 

 

Taeyeon looked up to see Sooyoung with a stern look on her face.

 

 

“Can we talk?”

 

 

Taeyeon nodded.

 

 

The two friends made their way towards the kitchen where two cups of coffee were awaiting them.

 

 

“Here.” Sooyoung handed Taeyeon a cup in which Taeyeon took gratefully.

 

 

The two friends sipped their coffee in silence as they leaned their backs over the counter.

 

 

“So…what are you going to do with Krystal?”

 

 

Taeyeon shrugged.

 

 

“You know she can’t stay with Sica. She has a new family now.”

 

 

“I know, but I don’t know what to do or say to convince her to let Krystal go. Jessica loves the girl and I know never in a million years will she ever let go of the kid.”

 

 

“Yeah. Jessica’s as stubborn as rock. If she doesn’t want to do something, she won’t do it. Sometimes it’s a good thing that she’s stubborn, but sometimes it just makes her blind from the other possibilities. Like with Krystal; by keeping her locked up in here, she’s preventing her from getting a better life. Don’t get me wrong, it’s good that Jessica cares and loves the girl, but honestly, I don’t think she’ll be able to take care of her. At least not now that is. She’s unemployed and is leeching off me and she’s pinning for a two-timing woman who’s supposedly getting married in two days. No offense.” Taeyeon just shrugged. “All in all, as of now, Jessica is not ready to become a mother. Ideally, she’s not ready to support a child in her current state, and her stubbornness is blinding her from seeing that fact. Gosh, I wish I could just knock some sense into that girl, you know?”

 

 

Taeyeon just kept mum. She’s not blaming Jessica for wanting the kid. She too wants the child as well, but reality is, neither of them can have the child. They’re both unfit to become mothers. As much as she wants to make Jessica happy, she knows she has to do the right thing, even if it means hurting both Krystal and Jessica by separating them.

 

 

“I’ll do something about it. I’ll…convince her by tomorrow. I already told Nana I’m going to bring her back tomorrow morning.”

 

 

“Good. I’ll try to keep my cousin sane then.”

 

 

Taeyeon nodded and sipped some more of her coffee.

 

 

“Now that’s settled, what’s your plan with Jessica? Have you thought about what you’re going to do? You are getting married in two days. You know you’re going to have to hurt one of them. You can’t have them both.”

 

 

“I know.”

 

 

“How…do you feel about Jessica?”

 

 

“I love her.” Taeyeon confidently answered without missing a beat.

 

 

“And Junsu?”

 

 

“I…I love him too.”

 

 

Taeyeon paused.

 

 

“I love them both.”

 

 

Sooyoung sighed. “You know that’s not—”

 

 

“I know.” Taeyeon sighed exasperatedly. “I know it’s wrong but…what I feel for them both is not a lie. I love Jessica with all of my heart and I want to be with her but Junsu…he’s been there for me my whole life. He has supported me at my best and he loved me at my lowest. I owe him everything. I can’t just abandon him like that just because I grew feelings for someone else. I’m not that cruel. But…"

 

 

"But?"

 

 

“Jessica…she’s…gosh she’s just…perfect. I can’t explain my feelings well, but to put it simply, she makes me happy and she makes me feel complete. I love her and I want to be with her, but I also feel responsibility for Junsu. I just…I can’t let go of either one of them. It’s hard.”

 

 

“I know it’s hard Taeng, but you have to choose. Do you think they’ll be happy knowing that your heart is divided into two? You’ll end up hurting both of them. ”

 

 

“I know. I’m just so confused right now.” Taeyeon buried her fingers in her hair and pulled on it in frustration.

 

 

“Well, from what you’ve just said, I can conclude that you’re pretty much pinning for Jessica.” Taeyeon looked at her with a questioning look. “Okay, don’t think that I’m being biased for saying this just because she’s my cousin, but I think you want to be with Jessica. With Junsu, you love him but not as much as you love Jessica. You just can’t leave him because you feel the need to pay him back for all the things he has done for you all of these years. Like you said, you feel responsible for him. Also, I think you feel guilty for growing feelings for Jessica that’s why you feel like you can’t leave him because if you do, it’ll only make you feel even guiltier for betraying his love. But in all honesty, you don’t love him the way you do with Jessica. But don’t think I’m trying to coaxed you to choose Jessica. This is just purely based on my observation.”

 

 

Taeyeon kept silent and thought about what her friend had just said. Is she really pinning for Jessica? “Do I really?”

 

 

“Well, from what I can see, yeah, you do.”

 

 

“But, think about it. Don’t make rash decisions. You don’t want to choose the wrong person. Choose the one your heart is calling out to.”

 

 

Taeyeon nodded. “Yeah. I—I just need time to think things through clearly before I can make a decision.”  

 

 

Sipping the last content of the mug, she placed her empty mug down on the counter and pushed her back off the counter. “Well, thanks for everything, Soo.” She said gratefully. “I should get going now. It’s already late and Junsu is probably wondering where I went.”

 

 

“Okay.”

 

 

The two friends headed towards the living room where Taeyeon fetched her coat on the couch.

 

 

“Taeyeon.”

 

 

Taeyeon stopped on her tracks and turned around to face her friend.

 

 

“Follow your heart.”

 

 

Taeyeon smiled again. “I will. Thanks.” With that, Taeyeon left.

 

 

Unknown to both of them, a third person has been listening on to the supposedly private conversation.

 

 

======

 

 

“Jessica? Where are you going with Krystal?” Sooyoung asked cautiously as she eyed the duffle bag and the suitcase behind her cousin. Thoughts ran amok in Sooyoung’s head as she thought of the different possibilities for the bags in her cousin’s possession.

 

 

Jessica slung the duffle bag over her shoulder and lifted the suitcase with the other hand.

 

 

“I…I’ve decided to bring Krystal back to the orphanage.”

 

 

Sooyoung’s eyes widen in shock. “R-really?”

 

 

“Yes.”

 

 

Sooyoung was relieved. With all of those luggages in tow, she thought for sure Jessica was going to run away with Krystal to an unknown place. She thought they’ll never be able to convince Jessica to give up the little girl and that they’ll eventually have to forcefully separate the two from each other, but to her surprise, Jessica was actually being…compliant.

 

 

“Well, go on then. I’ll see you later, little munchkin.” Sooyoung did a small wave towards Krystal. Krystal politely returned the gesture before the two stepped out of the house.

 

 

======

 

 

“Umma…” Krystal pleaded.

 

 

Jessica sighed and crouched down in front of the little girl. “Krystal. We already talked about this at home. Didn’t we agree that you’d go home with them?”

 

 

“Kwystal no go. Stay with umma.”

 

 

“Krystal. I already told you that you can’t stay with me.”

 

 

Krystal started tearing up. She brought her palms up to her eyes and began sniffling.

 

 

Jessica let out another sigh. “Krystal.” The little girl continued to weep. Her heart wrenched at the sight. “Krys, honey. Please listen to mommy. You know I love you, right?”

 

 

Krystal peeked through her palms to look at her mother and nodded timidly.

 

 

Jessica smiled. “And I also know that Krystal loves umma very much. But, ss much as I want Krystal to stay with umma, Krystal can’t stay with umma.”

 

 

“Why…?” Krystal asked in a small voice.

 

 

Jessica frowned. “I-I’m not fit enough to take care of you that’s why. I-I’m young and unemployed and I won’t be able to provide you with the things you want, but the Lees…” She glanced over the couple who were standing by their car. “They’re capable of giving you anything you want. You can have all the toys, clothes, and food you want, a TV, a pet, a room all to yourself, everything. Don’t you want that?”

 

 

Krystal bit her lip. Then after a while, she nodded.

 

 

“See, you do want them. Unfortunately…umma can’t provide you with any of that. If you want to have all of the toys you want, you’ll have to go—”

 

 

Krystal shook her head in defiance. “No! Kwystal no want toys! Kwystal wants umma!” She said stubbornly, stomping her feet on the ground like a spoiled child.

 

 

Jessica looked down, trying to hide the tears that were threatening to fall. It was already hard for her to let go of Krystal but it was even harder for the child to let her go. They’ve already built such a strong bond that it’s difficult for them to part ways so easily. Though she knows this, she also knows that she has to let Krystal go. She has far greater opportunities with the Lees than with her and she’ll be able to live a comfortable life for the rest of her life.

 

 

Sniffling some, Jessica raised her head up again and looked at her daughter straight in the eyes. Krystal was sobbing loudly now.

 

 

“Krystal, enough!” Jessica said in a stern voice making Krystal stop sobbing and stare at her mother with frightened eyes. “You will go with them and that’s final. If…if you keep whining then the Lees might not want to take you. Nobody might want to take you in if you keep misbehaving, so stop. Stop this nonsense.”

 

 

Silent tears rolled down Krystal’s cheeks.

 

 

Jessica cupped her daughter’s face and wiped away the tears. “Umma…she…she doesn’t want Krystal to be stuck here in this orphanage forever. It will make umma sad if you don’t get adopted by a nice family.” Jessica said tenderly as she Krystal’s reddened cheek with the back of her palm. “I-I just want you to go to a nice family and live a comfortable life, that’s all. Even though we can’t be together, just knowing you're doing well and living happily is enough for umma to be happy. That’s all I want for you, honey. So please…please go with the Lees and be happy. Do it for umma.”

 

 

Krystal looked down at her fingers that were fiddling with the hem of her shirt. “Umma be happy if I go?” She asked quietly.

 

 

“Yes. Umma will be very happy if you went.”

 

 

The child became quiet.

 

 

After a while, she raised her head up and gave her mother a small, shy smile. “Kwystal go.”

 

 

Jessica held back her tears and smiled in return. She nodded. “Good. That’s good to hear sweetie.” She leaned in and placed her lips on her temple. Her lips lingered for a while before she rose from the ground and led the little girl towards the couple.

 

 

“Hi. The Lees, right? She’s…Krystal’s willing to go now.” Jessica said to the couple.

 

 

The couple smiled at Krystal and greeted her. “Hi, darling. We know it’s sudden but I hope you can accept us.”

 

 

Krystal just glanced at the couple timidly.

 

 

Jessica handed them the suitcase and the duffle bag. The couple began heading towards their car.

 

 

“Wait.” The couple stopped and looked at Jessica. “B-before you take her away, can I ask you a favor?”

 

 

The couple nodded.

 

 

“Would it be possible...if I visit her from time to time?”

 

 

The woman smiled warmly at her. “Of course. We can arrange meetings between the two of you. That’s fine.”

 

 

“T-thank you. Thank you so much.” Jessica bowed gratefully.

 

 

The couple returned the same sentiments.

 

 

While the couple placed the luggage in the trunk, Jessica turned to her daughter and her hair lovingly. “You be good now okay? Umma will come visit you soon.”

 

 

Krystal nodded obediently.

 

 

One last time, Jessica hugged her daughter tight. “I Love you Krystal. Umma loves you very much, remember that okay?” She whispered in her daughter’s ears as silent tears streamed down her face.

 

 

Krystal nodded again.

 

 

Jessica shut her eyes and tightened her hold around her daughter. And like a mantra, she began whispering ‘I love you’ over and over again in her daughter’s ear.

 

 

Composing herself a bit, Jessica pulled away from her daughter and marveled her daughter’s beautiful face. She plants a quick kiss on her daughter’s temple before ushering her towards the car. As soon she climbed in, Jessica shut the door.

 

 

Krystal quickly unwound the car’s window and stuck her head out. As the car pulled away, she waved goodbye to both her mother and her Nana.

 

 

“I’ll see you soon sweetie! I love you!” Jessica yelled over to the fading car.

 

 

As much as Jessica wanted to run after the car, she willed herself not to, as she reasoned that this was for the better.

 

 

Now that Krystal's matter was settled, there is one thing left she needs to resolve.

 

 

======

 

 

It was already late at night and Taeyeon’s bachelorette party just ended. Everyone has left except for Taeyeon’s close friends, Tiffany, Sooyoung, Minyoung, Nicole, and Jessica. The six girls decided to head over to a karaoke bar to continue the party. Everyone was having fun, save for two people.

 

 

Jessica has been sulking the entire night. She only came because she needed to confront Taeyeon, but the girl has been avoiding her the entire night.

 

 

Huffing, Jessica rose from her seat and headed out of the room. No one noticed her escape except for one person.

 

 

Jessica felt suffocated inside the room so she decided to step out for a couple of minutes just to get some fresh air and to hopefully gain some confidence so she could finally accomplish what she had sought to do tonight.

 

 

Leaning her back on the brick wall, she let out a tired sigh.

 

 

“Are you okay?” A voice said from behind her.

 

 

Jessica jumped in fright when she saw Taeyeon standing by the door.

 

 

“Omo. You scared me.” Jessica gasped as she placed a hand over her heart.

 

 

“Sorry.” Taeyeon apologized. “What are you doing out here anyway?”

 

 

Jessica shrugged. “Just getting some fresh air. It’s too hot inside.”

 

 

“Oh.”

 

 

The two fell silent from there. Taeyeon didn’t know what else to say. Jessica, on the other hand, was contemplating whether she should confront Taeyeon now. She knows she can’t drag this on for far longer because tomorrow is Taeyeon’s wedding. Now would be a good time to finally settle this matter once and for all.

 

 

Mustering up her courage, Jessica spoke.

 

 

“Taeyeon.”

 

 

“Yes?”

 

 

“I…I want to break up with you.”

 

 

Taeyeon snapped her head towards Jessica’s direction and stared at Jessica, shock etched across her face.

 

 

“W-what? Why? I mean, no. No. Please. No. Don’t…”

 

 

Jessica turned away from her and shut her eyes close to prevent the tears from falling. “It’s for the best Taeyeon.” She choked out.

 

 

“No. Don’t say that. Please don’t say that.” Taeyeon pleaded, her voice quivering in desperateness. “I-I know these past few days I haven’t been honest and clear with how I feel about you and for that, I’m really sorry. I’m sorry for keeping you in a limbo all this time, but Jessica…you…you have to trust me, Sica. Believe me when I say that I love you very much and that I want nothing but to spend the rest of my life with you. You are the one for me Sica. I choose you.”

 

 

Jessica could feel herself succumbing to her words. They were the words she has always wanted to hear from Taeyeon in the past, but now, she doesn’t even want to hear her say them anymore. It was only breaking her heart instead of alleviating it.

 

 

Jessica shook her head vehemently as tears strolled out of her closed lids. “No Taeyeon. I’m not the one for you. This…us…this is wrong. What we’re doing is wrong. You…you were happily in love with Junsu before I showed up. You…you were looking forward to a new life…a happy life…with him... it…it was selfish of me to try and get between that. It may not mean much, but I-I’m sorry, Taeyeon." Jessica opened her eyes and faced Taeyeon. “I’m sorry for intruding in your life and ruining your relationship. I really am.”

 

 

Taeyeon could feel her chest tightening and constricting as she listened to Jessica’s painful words.

 

 

“I know I can’t go back to the past and….and erase what I’ve done, but this...this is the least I could do for you…for ruining what you had with Junsu. That’s why, I-I release you, Taeyeon. I release you so that you could be happy again…be happy with him. There’s nothing more than I want but for you to be happy with him again.” Jessica said in between sniffles. It hurt her so much to say all of this to her lover.

 

 

Tears have already flowed down Taeyeon’s face. She couldn’t believe what she was hearing.

 

 

“Y-you don’t mean that Jessica. I know you don’t. You love me right? You still love me?”

 

 

Jessica kept mum.

 

 

Her silence tore Taeyeon’s heart, but that didn’t knock her confidence down. She knew that Jessica was still in love with her. “E-even if you don’t say it…I…I know you still love me. I know you do so please…please don’t say you want to break up with me because I won’t be able to bear the heartbreak if you leave me. Please, Sica.” She pleaded.

 

 

“This is wrong.” She hissed.

 

 

Taeyeon shook her head. “No. This isn’t wrong. There is nothing wrong with two people loving each other—”

 

 

“No. No there isn’t wrong with two people loving each other, but there is something wrong if a person cheats on her lover.” Jessica whispered the last part, but Taeyeon’s vigilant ears still caught it.

 

 

“Is that it? You feel that I’m cheating on you with Junsu?”

 

 

Jessica clenched her hands into a fist and glared at Taeyeon. She was infuriated that Taeyeon didn’t understand what she meant.

 

 

“If that’s the case then I’ll end it with him. I-if you want me to break up with Junsu, I will. Just tell me to do it and I will, Sica. If that’s how you feel, then just say the words and I’ll do it. I’ll end—”

 

 

“Stop it!” Jessica yelled.

 

 

Taeyeon clamped shut and stared at Jessica with frightened eyes.

 

 

“Just…just stop it Taeyeon.” Jessica said exasperatedly. “Don’t you see Taeyeon? Don’t you see what I’ve done to you? I messed your head up so much that you don’t even see that you’re cheating on Junsu with me. I’m the one at fault here, not Junsu. It’s me, Taeyeon. I’m the one that caused you to become this…this monster. I made you into cheating lover.” Guilt. She truly felt guilty for making Taeyeon this way. This wasn’t what she wanted. She didn’t want to be that girl, but her selfishness and her desires inadvertently transformed her into one. “I’m really sorry, Taeyeon, for causing you to become like this. I really am sorry that’s why I’m trying to set things right. I’m trying to make things right—”

 

 

“By breaking up with me?” Taeyeon finished, hurt laced in her voice.

 

 

Jessica bit her tongue. “Yes. By breaking up with you, Taeyeon. If I disappear from your life, then you’ll be able to go back to your old life where you’re happy and content, not lost and confused.”

 

 

“But it’s too late to go back now, Sica. My feelings for you…they’re too strong for me to suppress. Even…even if you leave, it’s not certain that I would go back to my old life and live a happy life with Junsu because...because once you’re out of my life…I…I’d probably spend more of my time thinking of you…and missing you.” Taeyeon said tenderly.

 

 

Jessica stiffened.

 

 

Tentatively walking up behind Jessica, Taeyeon s her arms around her waist and rested her chin on her shoulders. Planting a chaste kiss on Jessica’s shoulder, she whispered. “I love you, Jessica. I love you so please don’t leave me.”

 

 

Jessica shuddered upon the feeling of Taeyeon’s warm breath on her skin. Taeyeon was making it very difficult for her to leave her. She can feel herself slowly submitting to Taeyeon’s gentle words and soft caresses. But as much as she wants to say ‘I love you too’ back to Taeyeon and reciprocate Taeyeon’s affection, she knew she shouldn’t. She couldn’t.

 

 

After hearing Taeyeon and her cousin’s conversation last night, Jessica realized something. The old lady was right. All this time she has been acting selfish, only wanting to achieve her own happiness instead of thinking about other people’s happiness. She always put herself first before the others and that made her blind from the negative things she has been inflicting towards her loved ones.

 

 

That’s why this morning, she decided to let Krystal go with the Lees because she knew Krystal has more opportunities with the them than if she were to stay under her care. It was the same reason why she decided to let go of Taeyeon; deep in her heart, she knows Taeyeon will be able to live a happier and more comfortable life with Junsu than with her. If Taeyeon were to choose her, she’ll only become a burden to Taeyeon and she’ll only end up giving Taeyeon endless heartaches, like how she has done to her own wife in the other universe. This was for the better.

 

 

Jessica lowered her hands, resting it on top of Taeyeon’s forearms. Taeyeon smiled at the gesture, believing that Jessica was going to reciprocate the hug. To her dismay, Jessica grabbed hold of her forearms and pried her arms off her waist. Jessica turned around to face her and took two steps back.

 

 

“Jessica?” Taeyeon asked feeling lost.

 

 

“I’m sorry, Taeyeon, but this is for the best.”

 

 

Taking one last look at Taeyeon, Jessica spun around and began walking away from the latter.

 

 

“Sica!” Taeyeon called out. She marched towards Jessica and grabbed her by the wrist. Gathering up all of her strength, Jessica succesfully pulled her arm away from Taeyeon’s grasp.

 

 

“Jessica, please don’t do this. I love you. I really do.” Taeyeon said desperately as she followed the girl from behind. Jessica ignored her cries and continued walking away. This tore Taeyeon’s heart even more. As she mindlessly watched Jessica’s back walk farther away from as she called out her name over and over again, an epiphany came to her.

 

 

“Omo! Jessica! The portrait? Do you remember the unfinished portrait? I know now why I never finished it! This. You walking away from me, this is exactly what happened in my dream! The reason why I was never able to finish the portrait was because you never turned around. It’s you Jessica. You’re her. You’re the girl of my dreams!”

 

 

Jessica’s steps faltered a bit when she heard Taeyeon say that. But she quickly brushed it off and continued walking away.

 

 

Taeyeon frowned. “Sica. Please don’t leave. If…if you turn around, I’ll…I’ll be able to finish the portrait. Please turn around. Please let me finish my portrait…my life. Come back to me. I love you! Please Jessica! Jessica!”

 

 

By this time, Jessica has resorted to a sprint. The distance between Taeyeon and her grew bigger and bigger as she sped up.

 

 

“Sica! Sica! Sica!” Taeyeon continued to call out.

 

 

As she went further away, Taeyeon’s voice slowly faded away.

 

 

Before long, her voice has completely disappeared.

 

 

As she continued run, she noticed her surrounding slowly dissolving into the darkness.

 

 

Confused and scared at what was happening around her, she started panicking.

 

 

She tried to stop running but her feet won’t stop. They won’t let her stop.

 

 

Soon, everything around became consumed by the darkness.

 

 

She couldn’t see anything.

 

 

All she could hear was Taeyeon’s faint voice echoing in the darkness.

 

 

“Sica! Sica! Sica!”

 

 

Jessica whirled her head around trying her best to locate her lover but to no avail. She can’t see a thing.

 

 

“Taeyeon! I’m here, Taeyeon! Taeyeon!” 

 

 

“Sica!”

 

 

All of a sudden, Jessica felt a gentle push on her arm.

 

 

“Tae…”

 

 

“Sica-ah.”

 

 

The voice was becoming louder and the force on her arm became harder.

 

 

“Yah, Sica wake up.”

 

 

Jessica jolted awake upon hearing the voice resonate loudly next to her ears.

 

 

She craned her neck from side to side, her blurry gaze settling on the female figure standing before her, staring at her with a raised brow.

 

 

Jessica stared at her with wide eyes.

 

 

“T-Taeyeon?” She asked in disbelief.

 

 

“Uh, yeah?”

 

 

“Omo. I-It’s really you…T-Taeyeon…Taengoo…” Before she knew it, the waterworks has begun. Tears fell from her eyes dampening her cheeks and her shirt.

 

 

Taeyeon was shocked. “S-Sica? Omo. What’s wrong? What happened? Why are you crying?” She quickly bent down to Jessica’s eye level and began wiping the tears away that were trickling down her lover’s cheeks. “What’s wrong, baby? Why are you crying?” Taeyeon was genuinely worried. She came in here to see if Jessica was already getting ready but to her dismay she found her sleeping on top of her laptop. And now she was crying. But she doesn’t know why. “Please, baby, don’t cry.” She cooed helplessly.

 

 

This only made Jessica sob even louder. Shebrought her arms around Taeyeon’s waist and buried her face on Taeyeon’s shoulder as she sobbed.

 

 

Taeyeon reciprocated her gesture by wrapping her arms around Jessica’s body and pulling her closer.

 

 

Jessica begun mumbling incoherent things.

 

 

“I-I thought I lost you. I thought I lost you and Krystal. I miss you. I miss you so much Taengoo. I-I thought…” The rest of her sentence became muffled by her sobs.

 

 

Did she have a nightmare?  Taeyeon wondered. With her palm, she Jessica’s back comfortingly.

 

 

“Sshh.” Taeyeon cooed. “It’s okay. You’re safe now. I’m here. You didn’t lose me okay? You didn’t lose Krystal either. Sshh. I’m here. I’m here.” She repeated over and over again to calm her distraught wife.

 

 

After crying for some time, Jessica finally pulled away and wiped her tear-stained cheeks with her palm.

 

 

Taeyeon helped by brushing the remnants of Jessica’s tears with her fingers.

 

 

“You okay?” Taeyeon asked as they finished.

 

 

Jessica nodded.

 

 

“Was it a nightmare?”

 

 

“I-I supposed. It felt so real though. I-I thought I really lost you guys. I was so scared.”

 

 

“Don’t worry. We’re still here.” Taeyeon said giving her a warm smile.

 

 

Jessica looked behind Taeyeon, her eyes searching for something. “W-where’s Krystal?” She frowned.

 

 

“Ah. She’s outside, probably getting doted by her—”

 

 

Before Taeyeon could even finish her sentence, Jessica dashed out of the office towards the living room where she found Krystal on top of Tiffany’s lap.

 

 

“Omo. Jessica, I can’t believe you’re still in your paj—”

 

 

Jessica disregarded her cousin’s comment and went straight to Krystal, scooping her up from Tiffany’s arms. The little girl instantly latched her limbs around her mother’s body as Jessica pulled her close and hugged her tight.

 

 

Tears streamed down Jessica’s face as she hugged her little girl with the utmost affection she can muster. Soon, sobs could be heard emitting from Jessica.

 

 

Everyone in the living room stared at the scene in front of them, wondering why Jessica was being emotional all of a sudden.

 

 

Taeyeon came jogging into the living room by this time, only to witness her wife and her daughter engage in an embrace. She scratched her head as she wondered what was going on.

 

 

Shrugging her shoulders, she walked towards the two to see what’s up. She was stunned when she saw Jessica in tears again.

 

 

Okay, now she was really confused. What was happening to her wife? Why does she keep crying? Did her nightmare really frighten her that much?

 

 

She looked towards her friends for an explanation, but they just shrugged.

 

 

Not knowing what else to do, Taeyeon approached the two girls and pulled them into her arms.

 

 

Feeling her wife and her daughter's warmth on her body, Jessica felt content.

 

 

After a while, the family pulled away from the hug.

 

 

Despite the odd behavior Jessica displayed, everyone just shrugged it off and commenced with the party instead. Throughout the rest of the day, Jessica has been excessively clingly towards Taeyeon. She has also spent most of her time playing with her daughter. This was such a shock for Taeyeon. She has never seen Jessica behave this way in such a long time. She even disregarded her work! What was going on?

 

 

"Sica, are you alright? You've been acting really weird since you woke up." Taeyeon asked her wife as they laid in bed.

 

 

Jessica nuzzled her head further into Taeyeon's neck and tightened her hold around Taeyeon's waist.

 

 

"Never felt better." Jessica said as she breathed in her lover's scent.

 

 

"You sure?"

 

 

Jessica nodded.

 

 

"Taengoo?"

 

 

"Hm?"

 

 

"Wanna go on a vacation?"

 

 

Taeyeon stared down at her wife incredulously. "Are you serious?"

 

 

Jessica nodded. "Let's go to a resort or something. Just the three of us."

 

 

Taeyeon was stunned. Jessica was acting really weird, but nevertheless she was ecstatic at Jessica's sudden change of heart. She could really get used to this Jessica.

 

 

"What do you think, Taengoo? Wanna do it?"

 

 

Taeyeon smiled. "Anything for you."

 

 

======

 

 

A week later…

 

 

“Krystal! Come back here!”

 

 

Krystal stuck her tongue out at her mother who was chasing her from behind and continued running away.

 

 

Jessica pouted and pumped her legs faster. Before long, she finally caught up with her daughter. Opening her arms wide, she captured her daughter in her embrace, eliciting fits of giggles as lifted her up into her arms. As she did so, she failed to notice another woman walking her way. She accidentally bumped onto the woman, causing her to fall.

 

 

Shocked, Jessica quickly put Krystal down and went to the woman’s aid. “Omo! I’m really sorry!” Jessica apologized as she helped the woman back on her feet. “I’m really, really sorry. Are you okay?” She asked worriedly as she scanned the woman’s body for any injuries.

 

 

“I’m fine, thank you.” The woman said as she brushed the dirt off her pants.

 

 

“I’m really sorry again for bumping into you. I ought to be more careful next time. I’m really sorry.”

 

 

The woman smiled warmly at Jessica. “It’s fine, really. I wasn’t watching where I was going either. Sorry about that. Anyway, I should go. Bye.” The woman waved goodbye and walked away.

 

 

As the woman walked away, Jessica returned her attention back to her daughter. “You okay, Krystal?”

 

 

Krystal nodded.

 

 

Jessica smiled. “Good. Now come on. Your Taeyeon umma is probably hogging all of the ice cream right now.” She said as she took hold of her daughter’s hand. Hand in hand, the mother and daughter skipped away to where the other mother was.

 

 

From afar, the woman watched the mother and child with a satisfied smile on her face. She turned around to continue on her way, when someone bumped into her again. She fell on her back.

 

 

“Yah! Watch where you’re going old lady!” A young girl yelled at her.

 

 

“Yah, Yoona! Be polite! You bumped into her! You should apologize!” Her friend scolded.

 

 

“What!? No way! I ain’t apologizing to that old geezer Seo!”

 

 

The two friends continued to bicker as they walked away from the old woman who was still lying on the ground.

 

 

“Looks like I have another brat who needs to be taught a lesson.” The woman smirked. “Hyoyeon, time to work your magic.”

 

 

 

 

The End

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------


A/N: Phew! It's finally finished! Yay! Accomplishment! I procrastinated so much on this one. Sigh. Sorry folks! Anyway, now that the story is finally finished, what do guys think about it? Was it okay? Did you like it? It would be really great if I could get your input on this one. I really hope you guys enjoyed it because I totally enjoyed writing it. ^^ Btw, I'm working on a new TaengSic one shot. Dunno when I'll get it up, but definitely look forward to it! Thank you again for reading and commenting! You guys are awesome! Til next time! =]