six ★ not what it seems

My Angel Boy

 

I knew it was a bad idea letting Luhan sleep on the same bed as me. He had taken up most of the bed and I was literally on the edge of the bed about to fall off; the only thing stopping me from falling face first on the floor was Luhan’s hand around my waist.

 

I groaned as I tried to pull his hand away from my waist as I tried to get out of bed. As I tried to free myself from his grip, he suddenly let go of me and flipped to turn onto the other side of the bed. My met the cold, wooden floorboards with a loud thud. Luhan turned and began mumbling in his sleep. I couldn’t understand what we he saying since his face was stuffed into my blue pillow.

 

Remind me to change the pillow cases.

 

“Minyoung noona,” I heard a voice calling out from the living room.

 

“What’s he doing here?” I muttered to myself, slightly panicked. I quickly grabbed my bathrobe and threw it on before pulling the covers over Luhan’s head. I ran out of my room and entered the living room. Tao was lying on the couch, flicking through the channels with a packet of chips in one hand.

 

“Y-yah, Huang Zitao!” I yelled out, sounding a bit too agitated.

 

“Noona!” He smiled, getting up from the couch and dusting off the chip crumbles from his shirt. I watched as the crumbles fell onto the carpet.

 

“What are you doing here?” I questioned.

“You left your laptop at the office and I came over to drop it off since you still gotta finish the presentation for the board meeting.” He replied, handing me my laptop. I looked at the laptop in my hands, confused.

“What board meeting?” I asked. Tao stared at me with worried eyes.

“Stop staring at me like that.”

“Noona, are you okay?” He asked, holding a hand up to my forehead.

“I’m fine,” I rolled my eyes, brushing his hand away from my face.

“I thought you remembered. There’s a board meeting in two weeks for the new hotel branch your father is opening in Shanghai.”

 

“What?! That’s in two weeks?!” I blurted out in complete shock.

 

“Are you really okay?” Tao asked.

 

“Stop asking me if I’m okay!” I said, irritated.

 

“I’m sorry but you’re usually on top of everything. Normally, you have everything ready days before the event.” I let out a sigh as I ran a hand through my hair. I’ve only starting becoming disorganised when Luhan suddenly entered my life. This was not good; I needed to find a way to get rid of Luhan fast before my life started to get even messier.

 

Tao gave me my schedule for the week and everything I needed for the board meeting next week. He helped me finish the presentation and complete all the paper works I needed to sign off.

 

“By the way, Chen hyung has been trying to contact you,” Tao said.

 

“I know.” I mumbled.

 

“Give him a chance to explain everything. I’m sure he has a good explanation to why he did what he did.”

 

“Tao, please just drop it.”

 

“Hyung’s not a bad guy. He had his reasons.” I looked up at Tao. I could sense there was something he wasn’t telling me.

 

“Just talk to him.”

 

“Minyoung!” I suddenly heard my name being called out from hallway. “I’m hungry!”

 

“Luhan,” I gasped under my breath.

 

“Who’s that?” Tao asked.

 

“No one!” I shrieked as I got up and ran into the hallway leading to my room. Luhan was rubbing his eyes when I realised he wasn’t wearing his shirt.

 

“Minyoung, I’m hungry!” He whined as continued to rub his eyes.

 

“I can’t let Tao see you,” I said, my voice shaking.

 

“Who’s Tao?” He asked.

 

“Minyoung, who are you talking to?” I could hear Tao walking over.

 

“Luhan, I’ll feed you later but you need to go back into my room.” I told him. Luhan frowned as he reluctantly and slowly walked back into my bedroom. As soon I managed to push into my room, Tao came over with a worried look on his face.

“Who was that?” He asked sternly.

“Who was what? There’s no one here.” I smile nervously as I held onto the bedroom door. I could feel the door knob twisting and turning under my grip. I tried my best to hold the knob tight but Luhan was desperately trying to open the door. I kicked the door with the back of my foot as Tao looked at me suspiciously. Suddenly, there was a loud thud against the wooden door.

Seriously, Luhan?

Then came an even louder banging on the door.

“Let me out!” Luhan whined from the other side of the door.

There was no way I could get out of this one. Tao was standing at the end of the hallway with a stupid smirk on his face. He walked over to me, pushed me out of the way and swung the door open. As the door opened, Luhan was now on the floor, rubbing his head in pain. Tao let out a laugh before shaking his head at me.

“Well, well, well…” Tao taunted as he paced in front of us. Luhan was now, thankfully, wearing a shirt and had an icepack stuck onto the back of his head. Luhan and I sat on the couch; it almost looked like Tao was a detective interrogating his main suspects.

“I didn’t expect you to move on so quickly, Minyoung noona…” Tao teased with a sly grin.

“What’s he talking about?” Luhan leaned over to whisper in my ear.

“Don’t talk to me,” I groaned in annoyance.

“Yah, Huang Zitao. It’s not what you think.” I began only to be cut off my Tao.

 

“Don’t worry, your secret is safe with me. I won’t tell anyone.” He winked at me.   

“Let me explain!” I said, getting up from the couch.

“You don’t need to explain anything. I completely understand.” Tao conceded, putting his hands on my shoulders, pushing me back down to sit on the couch; I fell back onto the couch. I couldn’t take Tao’s nonsense any longer so I grabbed the nearest pillow began to whack him with it.  

“Stop jumping to conclusions and let me explain the situation!” I barked at him as I continued to abuse him with the pillow. Although Tao was much taller than me, I managed to do him some damage when I kicked him in the shins. He crouched over in pain and I quickly managed to capture him in a headlock.

“You’re so annoying, you know that?” I muttered as I locked my arm around his neck.

“Yah, that hurts…” He began to whine as I tightened my hold on him.

“Minyoung, stop! You’re hurting him,” Luhan said in a worried voice. He tried pulling me away from Tao but that didn’t help Tao at all since all I did was hold on tighter.

“Ow, let go noona!” Tao cried out.

The next thing I knew I was up in the air and over Luhan’s shoulder. I had lost my grip around Tao’s neck and I was off the ground. Tao coughed out and held onto his neck and glared at me.

“Luhan, put me down!” I growled as I faced his back.

“No,” was his simple answer. Tao turned to me and stuck his tongue out at me. I gave him the finger before I began to whack Luhan in the back. I struggled for awhile but failed to free myself from Luhan. He was much stronger than I expected; Luhan looked like a weakling.

“I’m so going to strangle you when he lets go.”

“Thanks man. I seriously thought she was gonna kill me. I think I almost saw my life flash in front of my eyes.” Tao said to Luhan, totally ignoring my statement.

“Luhan, if you know what’s good for you, put me down this instant.” I said through gritted teeth.

“Only if you promise me that you won’t hurt him.” Luhan replied casually.

“No.” I replied, stubbornly.

“Sorry Minyoung, I’m not putting you down.” Even though, I couldn’t see Luhan’s face I knew he was smiling.

“Noona, you seriously have anger problems. I was only joking.” Tao complained. “Ahh, my neck hurts.”

“Why do you think I see your mother all the time?” I replied sarcastically.

“That’s because you’re mentally unstable.” Tao snapped back. This kid seriously makes my blood boil.

“My name’s Tao by the way.” Tao said as he held out a hand to Luhan.

“I’m Luhan.” Tao noticed Luhan holding onto me and decided not shake his hand in fear that I would pounce on him as soon as Luhan would let go of me.

“Hey guys, I’m Minyoung.” I mumbled sarcastically. Although Tao made it clear that he was joking about the whole situation, he still insisted on taking advantage of my current state and took the joke further to my dismay.

“How’d you guys meet?” Tao asked, directing the question to Luhan. Luhan didn’t understand the context of the question and paused for a moment. I could feel all the blood rushing into my head as I started to get dizzy, being held upside down.

“I flew into her,” Luhan replied nonchalantly.

“Ran into me,” I corrected him as I whacked him in the back. Luhan gasped in pain and slapped my leg.

“She hits like a man.” Tao scoffed.

“Put me down, I’m getting a headache,” I yelled at Luhan once more.

“You have to promise you won’t try to hurt Tao.”

“Fine,” I grumbled. Luhan dropped me onto the couch but he didn’t stop there. He took a seat on top of me, not next to me, right on top of me. He sat on my legs to prevent me from getting up.

“Are you serious?” I deadpanned as I looked up at him.

“Making sure you don’t do anything.” Luhan grinned at me. Tao sat on a chair to the left of the couch as he stared at us.

“If he’s not your boyfriend then what is he?”

“He’s my guar- ” Before I could finish my sentence, Luhan slapped a hand over my mouth and immediately, I did the same. My eyes widened when I realised that I had almost let it slip. I completely forgot about the not-telling-anyone-that-Luhan’s-an-angel part. Tao was surprised at first but then grew suspicious when Luhan finally dropped his hand on my mouth.

“I mean, he’s my cousin.” I coughed to clear my throat.

“From your mother’s side?” It took me a couple of seconds to realise – my father didn’t have any siblings, I didn’t have any cousins on his side of the family.

“Y-yeah.” I mumbled quickly.

“What’s he doing here? Does your father know about him?” Tao began to interrogate me, firing multiple questions at once. “When did he get here? Why didn’t you tell me? Why was he sleeping in your bed?!”

“He’s staying with me for awhile. No, my father doesn’t know. A few days ago. I didn’t tell you because you’d blab about it at work and my father would found out through your gossip,”

“I do not gossip!” Tao cried in defence.

“Yes, you do. You told everyone that Chen and I broke up the moment I confirmed it.” I retorted and I also managed to avoid answering his last question.

“Luhan, go to your room. I need to talk to Tao alone.” I told him.

“Don’t worry, I won’t hurt him.” I added, assuring him that I wouldn’t hurt Tao even though I really wanted to. Luhan obeyed and headed straight into the guest room.

“So, I heard the meeting with Joonmyun didn’t tell out so well,” Tao began.

“How’d you find out?”

“Everyone in the office was talking about it. Apparently, one of the workers saw you two at the restaurant.” Workers in the office had nothing better to do than gossip about other people’s private lives and I have to always be the centre of attention even though, I try so hard to avoid being in the spotlight but it’s not easy when you’re the daughter of the big boss.

“Some people are sure nosey.” I commented.

“Did you get into a fight with your father again?”

“Yeah.” I didn’t want to say much but Tao was really pressing on the issue.

“Well?” I ran a hand through my hair as I let out sigh.

“I told him I found out about the changes to the heir rights.” Tao looked at me like I had committed a terrible sin. I knew I made a mistake, telling him that I knew about the recent changes; that information was confidential so my father was definitely surprised when I told him back at the restaurant.

“I thought you said you weren’t going to tell him,” Tao said in a worried tone.

“I didn’t mean to. I slipped. I was just so frustrated.” I said with a sigh.

“Have you talked to your father since?” He questioned.

“No, his secretary did though. She called to check if I was alright.” I didn’t tell Tao about the part how my father was raving havoc back in his office that would just scare him even more. Tao scratched the back his of neck before getting up and stretching his arms.

“You should get back to the office,” I told him. Tao looked at me pointedly.

 

“Are you coming in today?” Tao wondered.

 

“No. I’m only going to come in for the meeting with the board. I’m gonna take a few days off.” I told as I escorted him to the door. I really didn't want to run into my father in the office and cause a big mess at the company. It was best that I didn't see him for a couple of days to give him the chance to cool down and relax. 

 

"I'll just email you everything for the time being then." Tao said as he entered the elevator. As the doors began to close, I remembered something. 

 

"Don't tell anyone about-" I yelled down the hallway only be to be cut short by Tao. 

 

"I won't!" He yelled back, sticking out his tongue. 

 

 

 

I managed to start working on the presentation for next week's board meeting without Luhan interrupting me. He kept himself busy watching Disney movies. He became obsessed after watching the Lion King yesterday; now he was having a Disney marathon. He managed to finish all of the Toy Story movies, some of the princess movies and now he moved on to watch some movie about a deer.

 

“I’m hungry,” Luhan said, barging into my room. I looked up at him from my laptop and noticed the cookie crumbs around his mouth. “Can we order pizza?” He asked, plopping himself down onto my bed, making the mattress sink on one side.

 

“Fine,” I mumbled as I passed him my phone. Luhan made the order. I knew I’d regret letting him do that. He ordered three large pizzas (he said one was for me), three rolls of garlic bread, a large order of spicy chicken wings and large bottle of Coke. When he got off the phone with the pizza place, he handed me my phone back with a big grin.

 

“What the hell was that? You just ordered food enough to feed a family of ten!” I yelled at him.

 

“But, I’m hungry…” He sulked.

 

“Next time, I’m cooking because the way you eat, half of my salary is going to go towards feeding you.” I sighed as I closed my laptop and placed it on my bedside table.

 

“Yay!” He exclaimed happily, getting up on my bed. “Minyoung’s gonna cook for me!” He cried out, jumping up and down on my bed, making the whole bed shake.

 

“Stop jumping!” I said as I grabbed the side of his shirt and tried to pull him down.

 

“Are you always this energetic?” I muttered under my breath.

 

“Yes!” He yelled at the top of his lungs.

 

“Get down!” I cried at him. I didn’t expect Luhan to drop dead onto the bed as soon as I yelled at him. He collapsed on the bed, laughing.

 

God if you’re listening, please tell me why are you’re doing this to me?

 

“So…” Luhan began when he sat up. “How was your blind date?” He looked at me curiously, waiting for my reply.

 

“I don’t want to talk about it with you.”

 

“Why not?”

 

“You never take anything seriously.” I said, rolling my eyes at him.

 

“Yes, I do.”

 

“Uhh, no. You don’t.”

 

“You had a fight with your dad?” He suddenly asked.

 

“You were eavesdropping on my conversation with Tao.” It wasn’t a question.

 

“Yes.” I was taken aback by his answer, I didn’t expect him to reply that truthfully but I guess it was his angel nature. “Anything that concerns you, concerns me too. After all, I am your guardian angel.”

 

“Yeah about this whole guardian angel thing… When are you going to go away?” I didn’t mean to sound so rude but having Luhan around wasn’t exactly great for me.

 

“Well, I’m not so sure yet. Usually, I stick around for awhile until everything is okay.” He replied.

 

“How long is awhile?” I was slightly nervous to ask how long he meant by that.

 

“Oh, I don’t know. Sometimes a few weeks or months, maybe even a year. It really depends on the person.” He said.

 

“You’re actually my last mission. Once I go back, I’m going to become an Archangel.” He smiled.

 

“How many people have you been with?” I wondered.

 

“Including you, seven. But, you’re the only adult human I’ve been assigned to. The other six people were children and young teenagers.”

 

“Oh…” I guess that’s why he acts like a child all the time; he’s only ever been assigned as a guardian angel to kids.

 

 “Have you always been an angel or you were you human before?”

 

“They say I was a human before. I don’t remember anything about my life before I became an angel. I had a little sister. Apparently, she died because of me. I don’t remember anything else.” He said with a small smile.

 

It was the first time, Luhan had ever spoken so seriously. There was no fooling around and joking around like his usual playful self. Even though he was smiling, I could see past that and tell that he was blaming himself. Although, he might not remember anything, there was that feeling of guilt that was eating him way.

 

“Enough about me. You’re my priority. Tell me what happened at the meeting with Suho.” He asked, plastering a huge grin on his face.

 

This time, I actually told him what happened – every single detail from how Suho ordered a salad for me to Mrs. Kim’s reaction when Suho told her that I couldn’t have children and even about the argument my father and I had.

 

“You really don’t like your father, do you?” Luhan inquired.

 

“I hate him.” I hissed.

 

“Have you ever tried talking to him?”

 

“There’s no use. He has to have everything his way. No exceptions.” I said.

 

Suddenly, the doorbell went off.

 

“That must be the delivery guy,” I mumbled as I got off the bed.

 

“I’ll get the door!” Luhan shouted as he bounced off my bed and dashed out of my room to answer the door.

 

I went over to my desk and pulled out a couple of notes from my wallet, hoping I had enough for Luhan’s massive order. Walking out of my room to the front door, I heard Luhan talking to the man.

 

“Who are you? Where’s the pizza?” Luhan questioned.

 

What’s going on?

 

“Where’s Minyoung?” I stopped in my tracks when I recognised that voice. I took a few steps back into the hallway and leaned against the wall as I listened to the exchange of words between the two of them.

 

“You’re not the delivery man.” Luhan commented.

 

“Do I look like a delivery man to you?” Chen retorted, slightly irritated.

 

“No.” Luhan replied casually.

 

“Where’s Minyoung? I need to talk to her.”

 

“She said she doesn’t want to see you.” Luhan replied. “So if you don’t mind, please leave.” He added.

 

“Who the hell are you?” Chen spat at Luhan.

 

“I’m her co-” Before Luhan could finish, I walked to the front door and finished his sentence for him.

 

“He’s my boyfriend.” I said with a straight face as I slid my arm through Luhan’s.

 

“WHAT?!” The two of them chorused.

 


word count: approx. 3.4k

a/n: sorry for the massive amounts of dialogue in this chapter.

comment, vote and subscribe. thanks for reading.