thirteen ★ deep & meaningful

My Angel Boy

 

"So, you're saying Yixing is the ZHY Group's heir?" Luhan repeated the same question for what seemed like the hundredth time. 

"That's what I just said!!" I yelled at him before proceeding to whack him with the kitchen towel in my hand. 

"Wow... what a plot twist." Luhan commented as he leaned on his elbows on the kitchen bench.

Yixing's parents and my father decided not to force us into a marriage since Yixing and I have vocally expressed our desire not to get married however I could sense that my father was hoping that we'd get married in the future. Ha, like that's going to happen. Hell would freeze over before I agreed to anything he was planning.

Yixing managed to accidentally slip that we had lunch together and after hearing that piece of news, his parents happily agreed with the merge and signed the contract faster than I could even blink. My father was happy. I was just glad that I wasn't being forced into a marriage of convenience... for now. 

I didn't realise Luhan was saying something since I had spaced out into my own thoughts and I didn't realise he was waiting for me to answer his question – one that I didn't even hear. 

"What did you say?" I asked as I began stirring the sauce for the pasta I was making. Luhan was a heavy eater and so cooking saved me money instead of taking him to restaurants and fast food chains. For someone who isn't exactly human, Luhan ate more than a bodybuilder would and yet he remained the same size to the point that I was kind of envious.

Oh, the perks of being an angel. 

Luhan sighed. "I said, would you ever consider actually getting married to Yixing?" 

"No." 

"Why not?" He pressed. 

"Why would I marry someone I don't even love?" I asked him. 

"You could always learn to love him." Luhan replied. I turned to look at Luhan who had a blank face as he stared back right at me. 

"I would be cheating myself." I told him, looking away. 

"What do you mean?" 

I stopped stirring and paused for a moment, thinking about Luhan's question. Luhan cocked his head to the side and innocently blinked his eyes at me.

"I would be cheating myself because I would be forcing myself to love someone I don't love. It's like pretending you're friends with someone you don't even like; just as the friendship isn't real, the love for that other person wouldn't be real either." I said.

"I wonder what it's like to be in love..." Luhan said absentmindedly.

"You've never been in love before?" I questioned, setting the plates of pasta down onto the table. I kinda regretted asking a stupid question. Of course, he's never been in love before! He's not human, you idiot. 

"Nope but I've heard that it's a wonderful feeling." He smiled, picking up his fork. 

"Where did you hear that from?" 

"Some of the guardians were humans before they became angels. They'd tell us stories about what it's like to on Earth before they died. Angels can feel the simple emotions - what it's like to happy, sad, angry and even scared but we can't experience the more complex emotions like romantic love, lust, guilt and greed." Luhan said after swallowing the lump of pasta in his mouth.

"Interesting..." I mumbled under my breath. 

"There's still one story that went around for awhile about one of the head Archangels who fell in love with a human." Luhan mentioned. I couldn't help but crack a smile because it sounded too good to be true.

"Really?" I scoffed in disbelief. "But I thought you just said that angels can't feel what it's like to be in love. How did one of the Archangels fall in love with a human?"

"No one really knows how it happened. Some of the others say it was God's doing while others will say that angel may be actually capable of feeling love but it's very rare." 

"What happened?" I asked, suddenly very interested. 

"Kris was assigned as a guardian angel to a human girl as his last mission," Luhan paused for a moment before continuing.

"Now that I think about it, it was very similar to us. It was Kris' last mission before he could become an Archangel. Anyways, Kris started developing the more complex human emotions, the longer he stayed with the girl. One day, Kris went back to Heaven to search for God, he wanted to know if there was a way he could stay with the human girl. You see if an angel wants to stay on earth and live in the human world, he or she will lose their wings and powers and basically become a fallen angel. There's also this thing where you basically wander the earth and you may or may not find the person you love. So Kris had a choice - he could join the human girl on earth and lose his wings or complete his mission and become an Archangel. Well, obviously Kris didn't join lose his wings because he became an Archangel. Kris was scared of the possibility of not being able to find the human girl once he had fallen onto earth so he remained in Heaven and that's the end of that." 

"Wait, what happened to the human girl?" I asked, my brows crossed in confusion. 

"Apparently after a few months Kris left her, she fell into depression. A few years later, she got married and had a kid. No one really knows any of the finer details except for Kris himself. Also the question of 'Did Kris really love the human girl?' always came up whenever the other angels discussed his story." Luhan mentioned. 

"Poor guy..." I muttered.

"It's really sad. Ever since he left the human girl, I've never seen him smile." Luhan revealed as he finished the last of his food.

"How long has it been since Kris became an Archangel?" I inquired.

"In human years, probably about twenty years. Give or take a few years." That's a long time to be broken hearted.

When Luhan finished up, he offered to wash the dishes but since I didn't trust him anywhere near my fine china so I told him I'd wash and that he could dry instead. 

"Would you ever give up your wings?" I asked as I scrubbed on a plate.

"Probably not but once you become an Archangel, you lose your wings. That'll probably do me some good because I never really got the hang of my wings anyways." Luhan grinned at me as I passed him the wet plate.

"You're always smiling when you're cooking." Luhan commented when our eyes locked.

"Right... Do you want to watch a movie after?" I said in attempt to change the subject of the conversation. 

"No, I'm really tired. I'm going to bed after this," Luhan said with small yawn. However, that didn't stop him. "You look really happy when you're cooking."

"Well, it's one of the only things that I enjoy doing." I told him truthfully as I scrubbed on a pot. 

"You're really good at it. All the meals you've made are delicious." Luhan was complimenting me and I had no idea how to react; it was a strange feeling.

"Thank you, I guess..." I mumbled, unsure of my reply. 

"How did you learn to cook?" Luhan turned his head to look at me. His gaze felt like fire burning into the side of my head. I always felt uncomfortable when people would stare at me; it was like they were trying to stare into my soul. 

"I took lessons when I was younger. I guess that explains how I know how to cook since my mother was never around to teach me." I replied.

"What happened to your mother? Where is she now? Why don't you visit her?" I was kind of taken back my Luhan's queries. I couldn't really blame him though I never told him about my mother.

"She's probably in the clouds with your other angel friends. She died when I was about two years old." I said in a low voice. 

Next thing I knew Luhan s his arms around my waist and leaned his head into my shoulder. My arms were still extended over the sink and covered in dishwashing soap. If hugs with Luhan could possibly get anymore awkward, he began to my hair. I stoppped scrubbing the plate in my hand and stood there in silence as Luhan repeatedly my hair as if I was a cat. 

"Luhan, you can let go now..." I said, clearing my throat. Despite the awkward gesture, I was glad Luhan didn't apologise like what normal people would do. What was the point of being sorry for someone's loss when you don't really mean it? People just say sorry so they don't feel bad. 

"Shh! Don't ruin the moment." He hushed me as I rolled my eyes at him. 

"You ruined the moment yourself." I snapped back when he finally let go of me. Luhan just shrugged his shoulders at me and went back to drying the pot as if nothing happened.

Is it weird that Luhan's presence in my life was starting to grow on me?

 


wordcount: 1.5k

a/n: not edited! shorter chapter because it's bit of filler but still equally important as the other chapters! just to clarify: whatever i say about angels or heaven is completely made up; there's no truth to anything i mention... well at least, i don't think so...

i passed the 50 subs mark! i didn't think i'd actually reach 50 subs considering how slow i update but i'm really grateful to everyone who has supported by subscribing, voting and commenting ^^