His Parents' Concern

Belong To Me

 

Gerald continued to look out the window, slowly sipping on the ice cold beer the flight attendant just brought him.  His thoughts to the argument earlier that day made him sad though relief eased the burden he didn’t know he carried on his shoulders.  He could not help but wince at the timing. He didn’t even give Nina a word in edgewise. He’ll deal with it when he returns.

Gerald: (thinking to himself)  So what is it that is bothering you? Nina? Family? Work? Nina? Well… that chapter is now closed, I hope. Family? I have missed them but thanks to technology we’ve had a standing date every Sunday evening to chat via webcam.  Work? No. That can’t be it.  Everything is going smooth there and my strong team of employees is the reason why I feel comfortable leaving for such a long period of time. Damn! What the hell is wrong with me?! I’m not depressed am I?  What is there to be depressed about?  Well… I did just break up with my girlfriend of over 2 years. I did want it to work but oh well… People always expect me to be a player but I can’t play with people’s emotions. She however played me.  I’ve ignored her indiscretions, her party life, and her materialistic needs. I guess I played stupid for too long. It’s my fault. It was my choice to play stupid.  Maybe that is what I am sad about… I did play stupid for such a long time. Such wasted time. Oh well… God will lead the way.

Gerald finally fell asleep the rest of the way of the flight, just waking up in time for an early breakfast.  It was a perfect Filipino breakfast of arroz caldo, tocino and garlic fried rice, and fresh fruit. Right after breakfast, the pilot made an announcement over the intercom.

Pilot: We are on our final approach.  Please return to your seats and fasten your seat belts.  Thank you so much for choosing Philippine Airlines. I hope you enjoyed your flight with us and we look forward to seeing you again.

Gerald didn't realize that he slept almost the entire flight to the Philippines. He was surprised at how tired he was.As the plane gently touched down on the runway, Gerald watched the creeping sunrise over the horizon. Once the fasten seat belt sign was switched off, he unfastened his seatbelt, grabbed his backpack and exited before the other passengers. He hurriedly grabbed his suitcase and balikbayan box and went through customs without a hitch.  When he exited customs, there standing at the arrival terminal, waiting for him, was his family.  His mom Vangie, his dad Randy and his brother Ken were standing there waving their hands and screaming his name. Gerald ran forward with all his things and threw his arms around all three of them.

Mom Vangie: Ah… anak… I missed you so much(through her tears)

Gerald:(getting misty eyed)  I missed you too mom.  Holding you is so much better than the webcam.  Dad, how are you?

Dad Randy: Son, I’m doing great. Even better now that you are here.

Ken: What am I? Chopped liver?  (jumping on his older brother’s back)

Gerald:  Bro! No, not chopped liver(wrestling around with him) Just a punk! But damn! I missed you!  (grabbing him into a bear hug)

Ken: Can’t breathe. Can’t breathe. (being overly dramatic)

 Dad: Come on boys.  Let’s get your kuya home Ken.  He looks tired. (looking over at Vangie with concern)

Gerald’s parents, though divorce, have continued to be good friends and still had their way of silently communicating with each other. They both saw a sadness in their son that wasn’t there before and both were concerned and curious about what brought it on.

Vangie: I hope you are hungry RJ. We have prepared a wonderful welcome home meal.

Gerald: They served us a great breakfast on the plane. Can’t beat business class but I can definitely eat again.  I am still hungry.  I’m sure I could have asked for more but their portions are meant for people who are on a diet.  By the way, where is Joven?

Ken: I was wondering when you were going to ask about him. He’s with the van.  He let us be the one to greet you first.

Gerald: It was great to see all of you there waiting for me. Thank you.  What a wonderful way to come home.

Mom Vangie: (holding on to her son’s forearm) Anak, we have been so excited for your visit. We’ve missed you terribly.  You are right. This is so much better than the webcam. Just look at my handsome son.  You are getting even taller than I last saw you.  And you know what.  You look like a young man now.  But you will always be my baby.

Ken began to snicker in the back as he was pushing the cart with Gerald’s luggage and balikbayan box.

Mom Vangie: I hear you laughing there Ken.  Both of you will always be my babies.  And Ken, you still look like that little boy that never wanted to have his diaper changed though Lord knows how badly it needed to be.

Gerald busted up laughing as his dad tried hard to hide his laugh.

Gerald: Boy did I miss you guys!!! I am much better now that I am with all of you.

Mom Vangie: What do you mean ‘much better’? Is everything okay, anak?

Gerald: Everything is fine.

Mom Vangie: Are you sure? How is work? I hope you are not working too hard.

Dad Randy: Yes, son. Is everything okay?  How is your business running?

Gerald: Actually, everything is going great there.  I have great team and have made some recent hires that I think will benefit the company and the direction we are heading.  We are about ready to go global and it’s amazing considering that this has all happened in the past 2 years.  The service and technology we are able to provide to every business whether they are small or large corporations has been developed with each customer in mind.  I’m starting to sound like I am doing a pitch to a new customer. Sorry. (looking sheepishly at his parents)

Dad Randy: Son. I am so proud of you. (cupping his shoulder) You have made something out of an idea you and your friends have come up with. Congratulations.  I want to hear more but your mom looks worried.

Gerald: (turning to his mom) Mom, don’t worry.  Everything is okay.

Mom Vangie: Well if it is not work, then I know it is your personal life.  I can see that Nina did not join you. (wriggling her nose trying unsuccessfully to hide her distaste)

Gerald: Mom. (hugging her close to his side)  Let’s be honest here. I know you did not like her for me.

Mom Vangie was trying to interrupt with a protest.

Gerald:  Don’t interrupt me mom.  I know you did not like her for me. I am positive that you didn’t like her period. Well, you will be happy to know that Nina and I are no longer an item right to the time the airport shuttle service came to the door.

Dad Randy: Are you okay RJ?

Ken: Thank goodness!! (simultaneously)

Gerald looked at Ken and busted up laughing.

Gerald: I guess you didn’t like her either.

Ken: Sorry kuya.  She was a knockout. Gorgeous but with a personality of a rock. You were going to be broke before the end of the year despite your blooming business.

Gerald looked at his younger brother in shock and then laughed even more.

Gerald: Ah. My family.  The truth knows no limits with us.  (laughing)  Thank you bro. And you are right. I can’t believe you picked up on it just through the webcam.

Mom Vangie: She didn’t even want to talk to us. We could see that. And when she did, her voice was too sugary sweet that we wanted to throw up. Sorry anak but I am very happy that you are no longer with her.

Dad Randy: Well son.  I don’t know how devastated you are, though I must admit that you don’t seem to be, we are still concerned about what is bothering you.

Gerald:  You know Dad.  Thank you for your concern and you are right. Something is bothering me and I can’t figure out what it is.  I hope my time home with all of you will help me figure that piece out.

Mom Vangie: (looking at Randy once again with concern) Well, we are here for you anak.  By the way, we do have a surprise for you. It’s not the way we want you to be surprised but I thought you would want to know.

Gerald: What’s that mom?

Mom Vangie: Maybe you would like to see your surprise in person.

Gerald: Ah come on mom.  You know how I am with surprises.  I want to know.  I need to know now.

Mom Vangie: You’ll ruin the fun.

Gerald: Mom…

Ken: Ate Kim’s in town.  (with a big smile on his face)

Gerald froze in one moment… took a deep breath, and then continued to walk towards the van in silence. He didn’t trust his voice. Not just yet.