Interrupted Reunion

Belong To Me

 

Kim fit perfectly in his arms. She could not help but shed a few more tears.  She lost her Lolo Boy but she was very happy to have her best friend back.

Someone: Ehem

Kim and Gerald separated immediately. Matt, Mel, Erich, Enchong, Beauty, Alex, Rayver, and Maja were standing there smiling at them.

Mel: Are you two okay?(noticing their tearing eyes)

Alex: Seemed like they are okay to me.

Gerald: (smiling at their friends)  Sorry guys. Just grieving.

Matt: We were wondering where you two went so we went a hunting.

Kim: I’m sorry guys. Do you any of want anything to drink? Something more to eat?

Beauty: Ay inday… we’re okay.  Both of you just got here and we are being a little bit impatient with waiting for your presence.

Gerald: Sorry again. I guess Kimmy and I were being a little bit selfish with our reunion.  Join us. How have you guys been?

Enchong: We want to know about you guys. How have you guys been? Gerald, how’s the business?

Gerald: Business is actually doing great. We are getting new clients all the time.  I have been thinking about expanding here in the Philippines.  Gives me more reason to come home and visit more often than I normally can.

Erich: What do you mean?

Gerald: Well, our business is web-based so regardless of distance, we can provide the services that many companies look for and still get that unique need met. We are able to create websites based on each business’ unique need and personality.  There is no cookie cutter.  We have staff that is fluent in every computer language out there, as well as foreign languages to help us move towards being a more global company. So we build what they need based on their systems they already have.  It’s pretty awesome. And we work with each client individually and provide them that ‘red carpet’ treatment so that they know they are a priority for us. Because of that, we have been on companies’ radars.  I hired a bunch of new staff right before I left for here.

Everyone was looking at him in awe.

Gerald: What?! Sorry… it sounds like a pitch. I’ll shut up now.

Rayver: Wow!

Mel: I’ll say.

Gerald: What?!

Matt: Bro. You sound like a pro.

Gerald: (laughing)  I hope so, so thank you for the compliment. I have to be in order to make this work. So… do you know of any company that needs tweaking for their websites?

Enchong: Actually bro. I have been wanting to do something different for my company’s website.  I want people to be able to navigate more easily and I need a system that will allow clients to purchase the items we offer, worldwide.  I question our website’s security and user-friendliness for our clients.

Gerald: That’s exactly what we do. We can meet sometime while I am out here. I can show some of the things we have done for our other clients.

Enchong: Great! Wow!

Beauty: I’ll say that again. So we’re guessing everything is going well.

Gerald: Everything is going extremely well. There are still a few hiccups here and there but nothing so far that my team and I can’t handle.  I am hoping to replicate the same team that I have in the US with a team here in the Philippines.  I need a corporate lawyer to determine what I need to do to legitimize my business here.

Rayver: I’ll say it again – Wow! I felt like I just grew up in a span of a couple of minutes.

Maja: (laughing)  It would take more than a couple of minutes for you to grow up!

Rayver: Funny! (As he began to tickle Maja on her sides)

Alex: What about you Kim? How’s the States?

Kim: Malungkot. But busy. Work is going great. The firm I work for keeps me busy. I travel a lot between San Francisco and Los Angeles.  Things are going great at work. Stressful at times but for the most part I enjoy my job and the people I work with. It’s cool now because of how busy I am, I have been given an assistant to support me with a lot of the minor details such as my schedule, handling my travel details…

Mel: Filing, getting you coffee, picking up your dry cleaning, walking your dog.

Everyone started laughing.

Kim: (looking sheepish) Actually that’s true, minus the dog thing.  I don’t have enough time for a dog.

Everyone laughed even more.

Kim: You know, when you think of the US, you think streets paved with gold.  But you have to bust your to make a living whether it is working at McDonalds or CEO of a company.  Those who slack, have experienced no change or resist it.  And those who do not moved with change, do not grow and are left behind.  It is the nature of the beast.

Alex: Damn. That was pretty deep.

Erich: Do you guys ever think of staying here and making your living here?

Kim & Gerald: Every day. (looking at each other in surprise with a smile)

Gerald: (squeezing Kim’s hand)  Which is the reason I want to expand my business here so that I have a reason to be here more often than I am.

Kim: I think that is a smart way to carve out the life that you want for yourself.

Gerald: There are more things I want for me (looking directly at Kim) but I am patient, yet persistent.

Mel: Good. I hope you can take care of everything to make things right for you. (looking at Gerald with approval)

Gerald: Enough about us, what’s up guys?

Matt:  Nothing much.  Just work and at least once a week dinner together as a group.

Kim: I miss that.

Mel: Nothing’s changed.  Sometimes the restaurant is a little bit fancier than what we use to do.  The Lord has blessed all of us so it’s good.

Gerald: Mel, how’s your practice going?

Mel: Busy! I think I need to hire another nurse and maybe find another doctor to expand our patient care.

Kim: I can’t believe that my best is a doctor.

Mel: I can’t either to be honest but I love it, especially the kids. But I love it even more when I get the whole family. You get to treat them as a unit.  Who you are with.  Who you love.  It makes a difference in how you live.  Don’t you think?

Matt: That’s my girl! How right you are! Look at me – healthy, happy and in love. (pulling Mel close to him)

Kim: Beauty, you’ve been quiet.

Alex: Hon, you have been quiet. Quite unlike you. (rubbing her back)

Beauty: I don’t know. Just weirded out I guess.

Erich: Why?

Beauty:  I am so happy that we are all together again.  I am so amazed at all our accomplishments but it’s weird doing this at Lolo Boy’s wake.  Sorry Kim.

Kim: Don’t be sorry Beaut.  You guys have been wonderful being here. I don’t like the circumstances of our reunion but I love that we are here together. I thank all of you for being here by my side. It means a lot to me.  And I have to say I think Lolo Boy is pretty happy you are all here too.

Enchong: Hey. We loved Lolo Boy too.  Gosh, since we were kids, he use to make us, especially all the guys, promise to take care of all you girls. 

Rayver: Tell me about it.  He used to grill us, especially when we were in high school, if there were any guys trying to court you guys.  And it wasn’t just Kim he was talking about.

Gerald: Oh yeah.  I remember one time when Robi would try to come and bring Kim flowers. He would take the flowers from him and tell him to leave.  Then he would turn around and throw it in the garbage. 

Kim: Ge! You never told me this!

Gerald: Sworn to secrecy by Lolo Boy. I would be off to the side of the gate, hiding, laughing. He would just wink at me and go back to his little garden.

Matt: I think he did the same thing to Jake.

Erich: Speaking of Jake. Has anyone heard from him or seen him.

Kim: He emails and texts me now and then to see how I am doing.

Gerald: You still keep in touch with him?

Kim: Yeah. Not often.  He calls every once in awhile too.

Gerald: He does? Oh. Okay.  (standing up)  Does anyone want anything to drink?  I’m going to get a coke.

Kim: I’ll get it for you.

Gerald: It’s okay. I’ll be right back. Anyone?

Matt: I’m good bro.

Gerald walked back to the house. As Gerald walked back to the house, Kim watched him walk away, looking confused.