Not In Touch?

Belong To Me

 

Ken: Ate Kim’s in town

Ken’s words continued to play over and over in Gerald’s mind. He was shocked, stunned, pleased, curious…

Gerald: Kim’s in town. (clearing his throat) When did she arrive? (trying to ask nonchalantly)

Mom Vangie: She arrived actually just yesterday.  She is here unfortunately because her lolo passed away. 

Gerald: Lolo Boy died?  Mom, what happened?! (looking shocked)

Mom Vangie: He passed in his sleep peacefully.  He had been sick off and on and then he took a turn for the worse.  I am hoping that after breakfast, we can go as a family to pay our respects to their family.

Gerald: Definitely.  

Mom Vangie: Kim was so sweet to even stop by the house to bring us a gift for the family despite how busy they were at their house. 

Ken: And you should see her! She looks GOOOORGEOUS!

Mom Vangie: She is as beautiful as ever. Looks more mature but she is still your Kimmy.

Gerald: My Kimmy (he said softly)

Dad Randy: She asked about you. (trying to hide his smile)

Gerald: She did?

Ken: She did. She was surprised to hear that you were arriving today. Are you guys not in touch?

Gerald: It’s hard.  She lives in L.A. I’m in San Francisco.  Our lives are busy.

Ken: I always thought you guys were going to get married.

Gerald: (knocks him over the head) We are only childhood friends.

Dad Randy:  That were attached at the hip since you first met. I agree with your brother, RJ.  Kim is the perfect girl for you. Plus didn’t you have the biggest crush on her?

Gerald: (trying to hide his discomfort – laughing) That was childhood puppy love, dad. I was 13 years old. Kim was only 12.

Mom Vangie: Yes, you guys were young but now you are not.  You have established careers.  You both ended up in the States in the same state.

Ken: And you can’t call that childhood puppy love when you still love her until well… until forever.

Gerald: Oh be quiet, Ken.  And Mom, California is big.

Mom Vangie: Kim said that she goes to San Francisco often because they have an office there.

Gerald: She does? (thinking to himself-Why doesn’t she call me?)

Mom Vangie: She seems to be doing well as an accountant for this huge accountant firm.  I can’t remember the name. 

Gerald: Ernst & Young LLP

Dad Randy:  Prestigious firm.  You seem to know what she is up to.

Gerald: Dad.  The last time I saw her was when she came to San Francisco to visit, almost two years ago and she was just offered the position to work with them.  She was so excited. We spent the weekend celebrating.

Gerald smiled at the memory.  Kim had flown up to San Francisco after much coaxing.  Gerald wanted to celebrate her new job before she got busy with her new career. Kim had stayed over at his condo and they watched movies, reminisced, dreamed, stayed up talking all night long, played tourists all across town.  It was just the two of them even though he had just started dating Nina.  He told Nina that he was not free that weekend because his best friend was going to be in town. It was one of the best weekends he had in his life.  It was also the last time Kim and he spoke to each other. 

Dad Randy: (pulling Gerald out of his reverie) That’s wonderful but I get a sense you guys haven’t talked in awhile. Why?

Mom Vangie: You and Kim are not talking to each other? What’s going on?  I was a little surprised that you didn’t know she was here. And that she didn’t know that you were arriving. What happened between you two? And now that I think about it, she didn’t make any comment about visiting you when she had to go to San Francisco for work.  I just automatically assumed.

Gerald: Ummm… mom, it’s not that. (thinking to himself)  To be honest  I don’t know what happened.  (to his mom)  We both have been really busy with our careers. She’s probably too busy when she comes to the City especially if she’s there for work.

Dad Randy: Too busy for your friendship?

Gerald: Dad, we do live far from each other.  I guess with me in San Francisco and Kim in L.A., it doesn’t work. It’s probably as challenging to keep a friendship strong just as it is keeping a long distance relationship strong.  She’s probably busy with friends, of course work but then she might also have a boyfriend who keeps her busy. I don’t know. (feeling uncomfortable with what he just said out loud)

Ken: You know, there is this thing called a ‘phone’.  You might have one.  You might have that type of phone you can even carry with you – I think that they call it a cell phone.  You can write letters, even email.  You have heard of email, right?  It’s called electronic mail that you send over the internet.  The person can actually receive your message instantly.  And we haven’t even begun to talk about texting. It’s amazing!!

Gerald: Quit being a smart . (grabbing Ken’s head in a headlock)

Mom Vangie:  Boys! (Gerald lets go of Ken) Well, at least you will have time to spend together now that she is here.  I think she is here for the same amount of time that you are. Be there for her.  I know she is really sad that Lolo Boy passed away.  She couldn’t stop crying yesterday when she was talking to us. He practically raised her and her siblings.

Gerald: I will mom. (thinking to himself – Kim crying. She never cries.)

Ken: I still think you need to marry her.  There is no one else who would put up with you.

Gerald started chasing Ken the short distance to the car.  Ken’s savior was Joven.

Gerald: (running straight to his childhood friend)  Joven!! What’s up bok? (giving Joven a huge bear hug)

Joven: It’s good to see you bok!  You look good. Welcome home! 

Gerald: Thanks Bok! It’s good to be home!

Joven: It’s been too long. By the way, Kim is in town.

Gerald: I heard. It seems to be the news of the day.  Come on. Let’s get home. (loading his luggage into the van) I’m ready for mom’s cooking.

Everyone jumped into the van, with Joven driving and Dad Randy sitting shotgun.