I've Missed You

Belong To Me

 

And then he noticed her looking straight at him with the look of utter surprise.

Kim: Ge?

Gerald: Hi Kim.

Gerald stepped in front of his family and as he did, Kim ran straight into his arms and buried her face into his chest, sobbing. Gerald folded her into his embrace and held on for dear life.

Gerald and Kim’s friends looked on in shock; the shock of seeing Gerald standing there before them, the shock of hearing Kim crying who they never heard cry and the shock of seeing the two of them in each others’ arms.  Gerald’s family looked on with mixed feelings… in sadness, feeling Kim’s pain and yet they felt so happy to see the two of them together again.

 As Kim continued to sob, Gerald just kept her close, kissing the top of her head and murmuring words only meant for the two of them.  They forgot that there was an audience of their friends and family. It was finally Gerald’s mom’s voice that made them realize that they were not alone.

Mom Vangie: Gerald, let Kim breathe.

Gerald slowly released Kim and before Kim and Gerald could even look at each other, Gerald’s mom pulled Kim into a huge hug.

Mom Vangie: Kim, anak. (giving Kim a kiss on her cheek) Condolences, anak.  We brought fruits and cakes for your family and for your guests. We are here for you and your family.

Kim: (looking embarrassed)Tita, thank you so much. You didn’t have to do this but please know how much our family, how much I appreciate this(accepting the huge basket of fruits and giving Gerald’s mom another heartfelt hug).

As Kim was receiving condolences, hugs and kisses from the rest of Gerald’s family, Gerald was getting hugs, high fives and cheek kisses from his friends. And in between Kim and Gerald’s eyes sought for a glimpse of each other.

Matt: BRO!!! Why didn’t you tell me you were coming to visit?

Gerald: Sorry bro. Things have been so busy and too be honest, at one point, I almost thought I wasn’t going to make it home.

Rayver: Bro! I thought I saw a ghost for a quick moment.

Maja: Don’t say that here! We’re at a wake and you talk about ghosts. (kissing Gerald on the cheek) Welcome home Gerald! It is so good to see you.

Enchong: Man, bro, we missed you! How’s California treating you?

Gerald: Not as good as the Philippines. I’ve missed it here so much and most definitely because of all of you.

Erich: (kissing Gerald on the cheek)  And I’m sure one person in particular has made you miss it more when you found out she was here.

Gerald just smiled at Erich, kissing her back on the cheek.

Mel: I’m glad you are here. (giving Gerald a hug)  Now you can take care of my best friend. And you better take care of her. She needs you. (giving Gerald the ‘LOOK’)

Gerald: I missed you Mel! (hugging her back even more and then whispering in her ear) Don’t worry. I’m here to take care of Kim… forever.

Mel just looked up at Gerald and hugged him even more with tears in her eyes.

When Gerald was done greeting their friends, he turned around and found himself facing Kim once more. Without any words, he took the basket out of her hands and passed it to Ken.  He then pulled Kim back into his arms and held her close.

Gerald: I missed you Kimmy.

Kim: I missed you too Ge.

Mom Vangie: Kim, Gerald. Let’s go inside. I want to see your dad and your brothers and sisters and your lola. 

Gerald: (turning back to his friends, not letting Kim’s hand)  We’ll be back guys.

Kim and Gerald led the way for Gerald’s family to enter Kim’s grandparents’ home where she was raised.  As they walked by the many guests, many stopped them, whispered their condolences to Kim and greeted Gerald and his family. When they finally reached where Kim’s family was sitting, Gerald’s dad stepped forward to offer Kim’s dad their condolences. Kim’s dad stood up right away and hugged Gerald’s dad.

Dad Randy: William, please accept our family’s condolences.

Dad William: Thank you Randy. I’m a grateful that you came today.

Mom Vangie: (kissing William on the cheek)  We would have been here sooner but we had to go to the airport and pick up RJ.

Dad William: (not realizing that Gerald was standing hand in hand with Kim, looked up in surprise) RJ?!

Gerald: Hi Tito William. (Reluctantly letting Kim’s hand go)

Kim’s dad pulled Gerald in a bear hug, slapping him on his back.

Gerald: I am so sorry I didn’t make it sooner. I have missed Lolo Boy so much. I’m so sorry.

Dad William: We are so glad you are here though not the circumstances to reunite with you. He missed you too. Thank you for being here. We missed you.

Gerald: I missed all of you so much.  How are you?

Dad William: I’m here.  It’s been hard with my dad passing away but I know he is in a good place now.  I’m glad you are here.  (whispering to Gerald)  This has hit Kim really hard. She didn’t make it in time to say goodbye to her Lolo Boy.

Gerald: (understanding Kim’s dad’s message)  Don’t worry Tito.   I am here now. I’ll take care of her.  Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you and the family.

Dad William: Thank you RJ. It’s good to see you.  And I’m glad you are here.  What a way to come home but I’m really glad you are here. (looking over at Kim who was talking to one of their guests)

Gerald: Me too, Tito. Me too.  (looking over to where he was looking with a sad smile on his face)

Gerald then went to say hi to all of Kim’s family members: Kim’s Lola Ayling, William, Jr., JP, Twinkle and Lakam.

Ate Lakam: RJ… how are you?! What a surprise!

Gerald: I’m good Ate. I’m really glad to be home.  I’m really glad to see all of you but these are not the conditions I wanted that to happen.

Twinkle:  I know RJ but we are sure happy to see you.  (giving him a hug) Thank you for coming here today.  We are happy to see you and Kim and that both of you are here, regardless.

William Jr.: You know… it would be nice if you could move where Kim is or vice versa so that we don’t have to worry about her.

Gerald: Would you guys be okay with that? (looking at them in surprise)

Ate Lakam: (knowing what he was asking)  We’ve been waiting.

JP: What’s been taking so long?!

Gerald: You know. I’ve been asking myself the same thing. Please don’t say anything. I know that we have things we need to clear up.

Kim finally joined where Gerald and her siblings were huddled in the corner.

Kim: Ge? You didn’t get a chance to eat. Let’s go fix you a plate.

Gerald: I was just waiting for you. (taking her hand back into his)

Kim looked at their fingers intertwined and looked up at him and smiled. Gerald smiled back and squeezed her hand as she pulled him towards the food buffet. Kim’s siblings smiled watching them walk away.

William Jr.: Please Lord let them work out.

Ate Lakam, Twinkle & JP: Amen!

They all looked at each other and quietly giggled.

Kim led Gerald to where all the food was laid out for all their guests. She served him as they walked around, saying ‘hi’ to people welcoming them back but trying not to get caught up in a conversation with others. Gerald could read Kim’s mind. He was thinking the same thing.

Gerald: Kimmy, let’s go to the salakot out back.  It’s still there right?

Kim: It’s still there. (smiling up at him)

Kim and Gerald exited discreetly from the back of the house and walked through the gardens toward the small salakot that Kim’s dad and brothers built for fun one summer. They sat down and were amazed that the noise from the house seemed like a million miles away. There was a gentle breeze tossing Kim’s hair gently, bringing the wonderful smell of Philippines to their nostrils. The salakot was graced by a mango tree they planted when they were children, offering them shade and a sweet smell in the air.

Gerald: Man… (taking a deep breath)  I missed this smell.

Kim: Doesn’t it feel good to be home?

Gerald: It sure does.  I don’t know what it is but the moment you smell … I don’t even know how to describe it – burned trash, smoke, mangos, plumerias… I don’t know.  I guess it’s just a combo of a lot of things. 

Kim: I know what you mean.  I don’t regret immigrating to the U.S. to go to school and making my life there but this will always be home.  You know…

Gerald: Yeah, I know what you mean.

Silence sat comfortably  between them as they let the Philippines air envelope them.

Gerald: Kimmy…

Kim: Ge…  you first.

Gerald put down his plate of food and took Kim’s plate from her as well. He then pulled Kim to sit closer to him.

Gerald: (turning toward her, gently placing her hand in his) Ladies first?

Kim: (smiling up at him) No, I insist.

Gerald:  Thank you my lady. (chuckling softly)  It’s just that I’ve missed you.  (looking deeply into her eyes)

Kim: (smirking at him) I’ve missed you too.  (immersed in his gaze)