Butterflies

Belong To Me

 

During the drive from the airport to their family home in Quezon City the chatter did not stop.  Everyone continued to question Gerald:

Ken: So why did you break up with Nina?

Gerald: Nosey!

Ken: Seriously, why?  You were with her for 2 years.

Gerald: Let’s just say that she did not look favorably on the Philippines even though she was born here.  And you were right about the whole materialistic thing.  I am pretty positive that she is going to pack my entire condo’s contents for hers.

Mom Vangie: WHAT?! What do you mean?

Gerald: Mom, don’t worry.  I can replace everything.

Dad Randy: You are paying her to break up?!

Gerald: Let’s just say it is a parting gift.

Ken: See. Broke before you even know it.

Gerald:  To be honest, there is not much for her to take.  She was always hounding me to go furniture shopping or art shopping, but I always got out of it. I don’t think I gave her a big enough allowance to do what she really wanted to do to the place. Thank goodness then you would be right Ken.

Mom Vangie: You are not settled into your home.

Gerald:  I actually want to buy a bigger place.  Thank God I didn’t tell her that. I will go searching once I go home. I don’t want to live in a condo anymore.  I want a house with a yard.  I want to get a dog.

Dad Randy: Sounds like someone is ready to settle down.

Gerald: With who?

Ken: Kim is here.

Gerald: You need to stop that.  Kim might be offended.

Mom Vangie: Why should she be offended?  You are handsome, accomplished, intelligent, sweet, a gentleman and you come from good genes.

Gerald laughed out loud and blew his mom a kiss.

Mom Vangie: Why are you laughing? It is true.

Gerald: Mom, you are biased.

Mom Vangie: You may think I am biased but look in the mirror, you’re handsome, anak.  And I raised a good son who is a good friend to people regardless of how far they are away from each other. Joven told me.

Gerald: Joven. That was between us.

Joven: You try keeping things away from Nanay Vangie.

Gerald: True… you’re forgiven.

Joven: I can’t believe you helped me despite the distance.  You were the only person I could turn to.

Dad Randy: You could have come to us.

Joven: I was too embarrassed about the situation so I called Gerald.

Mom Vangie: At least you called Gerald.  That girl would have continued to accuse you of being the father to her child had not Gerald hired a detective and lawyer, and had the girl submit herself and the baby to a DNA test.  She finally admitted that all was lie in front of her parents. She was too scared to admit who the baby’s father was because the parents forbade her to see him.  Joven was her closest friend.

Joven: Some friend.  I wanted to help her but she was also blackmailing me that if I didn’t pretend to be the father and marry her, she would tell you Nanay.

Mom Vangie: I wouldn’t have believed her.

Joven: I know that now but I didn’t want to hurt you after everything you all have done for me.

Gerald: Well, it’s all taken care of and the truth is out.

Joven: Thanks to you bok.

Gerald: You know I would do anything for any of you.  I’m always here even though an ocean separates us for most of the year.

Dad Randy: Well the ocean does not separate us anymore. So let’s make the most of the time.

Gerald: That’s right dad. I’m really glad to be home.

Mom Vangie: You still call the Philippines ‘home’?

Gerald: It’s where you guys are.  And to be honest, it is where my heart is. Philippines will always be home even though we’ve lived in other parts of the world.  I don’t know.  I feel most comfortable with myself here and my best memories are here.

Ken: With Kim. Seriously kuya.  You have to do something about that.

Gerald: You nut! Leave it be. 

Ken: Nope.  I’m telling you. You are going to die when you see her because man, she looks hot even though she is my ate and all.

Gerald: You are lucky I am sitting here in the front seat.  I ought pop you in the head. 

Ken: Protective are you?

Gerald: Oh be quiet.

Joven finally pulled the car in front of their home in Quezon. Gerald breathed a sigh of relief and felt so settled now that they were finally home.  Joven and Ken helped Gerald bring his things up to his room while Mom Vangie went straight to the kitchen to make sure their meal was ready. Gerald took a quick shower to shake off his long flight and got freshened up.  By the time, he reached the bottom of the stairs, he was happy to be greeted by a dining table filled with all his favorite foods: lechon kawali, garlic fried rice, chicken with calamungay in coconut milk, fried fish, adobo, sisig, pancit, lumpia, torta, mocha cake and fresh fruit.

Gerald: Wow! Mom! Who did you invite?

Dad Randy: Your mom went to bed really early yesterday and then woke up early to cook all this food.

Gerald: Mom. (hugging her and kissing her on the temple)  Thank you so much for making my welcome home so special.

Mom Vangie: (sniffling)  I missed you anak.  I’m glad you’re home.  I hope you like the food.  Come on. Come on. Let’s eat.

Gerald: I’m ready!

The family had a great brunch together, talking, laughing and reminiscing. The subject did not come up but Gerald could not help but feel his nerves building knowing that once they were done with their meal, they were going to go to Kim’s home to pay their respects.

Gerald: (patting his stomach)  Mom, I’m going to gain weight before the day is through. 

Mom Vangie: With how active you are, you are most likely going to lose weight on your vacation.

Gerald: Mom, before we go to Kim’s home.  Do you mind if I go run some errands real quick?  I don’t want to go there empty handed.

Mom Vangie: Don’t worry anak.  I bought some fruits that I put in a basket, as well as some sweetbreads to give to them.

Gerald: I want to get a condolence card for the family.

Mom Vangie: Okay.  Why don’t you go.  Have Joven take you while I clean up here.

Gerald: Joven, do you mind driving me?  I can drive myself if you are tired.

Joven: I’ll take you. 

Gerald: Great. I’ll be back. Mom. Dad.

Gerald had Joven drive him to the nearest florist shop so that he could buy a plant, as well as order a wreath for the Lolo Boy from the family.  He bought 1 dozen pink roses for Kim as well. He was able to pick up a condolence card there too.  They headed back to the house and picked up Ken, his mom and dad.  They decided to walk to Kim’s house since it was just down the street from their home.  They could see from far away that there were many guests at Kim’s home, especially since Lolo Boy was such an active community member and the family was well-respected and loved.

Gerald’s butterflies in his stomach seemed to multiply as they neared Kim’s home. A lot of his friends did not know he was coming to visit and he could see some people looking over their way out of curiosity.  As they got closer to their home, people began to recognize the group of people walking towards them and small smiles and waves were exchanged.  Gerald began to slow his pace and ended up in the back of his family.  If he was trying to hide, it wasn’t doing any good considering he was the tallest among them. 

Gerald scanned the crowd standing in the street and saw old friends. Matt, Mel, Erich, Beauty, Maja, Alex, Enchong, and Rayver were standing off to the side of the street just talking. They had not noticed Gerald walking over with his family. Then everything stopped for Gerald, as he saw Kim exit from the opened gate to join their group of friends. Gerald continued to walk behind his family towards Kim’s house and now he had the opportunity to study her.

Gerald: (thinking to himself) She looks even more beautiful than I last saw her. How could I have let 2 years slip away between us? How is she going to react when she sees me?

Gerald continued to stare at her. He was mesmerized by her long black hair, porcelain skin, pouty, pink lips and slender frame.  She hasn’t changed.  She looked a little more like a woman than the child he always pictured in his head but regardless, Kim hadn’t changed. Despite looking great, Gerald also noticed the sadness in her eyes, despite the smile that was plastered on her face. He noticed the tiredness in her body language though she stood in full posture. And then he noticed her looking straight at him with the look of utter surprise.

Kim: Ge?

Gerald: Hi Kim.

Gerald stepped in front of his family and as he did, Kim ran straight into his arms and buried her face into his chest, sobbing. Gerald folded her into his embrace and held on for dear life.