The Secret Dance Partner

Royal Treatment

 

 

 

I have a book on my head and a stiletto on. Today’s session is to learn how to walk like a royalty courtesy of no other than the Queen, herself.

 

I took five steps from the bookshelves towards the fireplace, which is by the way at the end of the great hall. And on my sixth step, I almost tripped. My mom let out at disappointing sigh and motioned me to continue. “A Princess must know how to walk elegantly and gracefully.”  

 

Ever since I turned 20, my mom started this walk like a princess 101 sessions. After a year, I still at it, big time. I was never a heels, moreover a stiletto type of girl. I am more of a flats, fliptops or my personal favourite, chucks. I used to get teased by my brother a lot because one, I like guys’ shoes than those high heeled shoes that normally girls like and two, I wore chucks under my dress all the time without my mom noticing me.

 

“Why can’t I just wore chucks underneath my dress?” I murmured to myself.

“I heard that, young lady!” She exclaimed as she crosses her arms. Oopss! I should mind my volume next time. “A princess should never wear un-lady like shoes under her dress.”

 

I rolled my eyes at her statement. Only if she knew what I wear during Royal functions. I laughed mentally at her. Am I a meanie or what? Haha.

 

“I saw that!” My mouth gaped open hearing her statement. “A Princess never rolls her eyes at anyone.” And that’s another reminder from my mom. Seriously, she should write a book about what princess should and should not do.  

 

---

 

After two hours of torturing my foot, it is now time for my mom’s second favourite session, the dance class. Every princess must know how to dance waltz and all that fancy stuffs.

 

“You are not dancing ballet, Mia. This is waltz!” I got scolded once more. “You are not wearing your ballet shoes, so do it properly!”

 

Yes, I did ballet since I was 5 years old but I had to stop my private lessons at the age of 20 because I could not stand myself seeing too thin than normal. I look like an anorexic or something. No offense to all the ballerinas out there but dancing ballet forced me to maintain a very thin body weight because of the routines we do. Remember Natalie Portman in ‘Black Swan’? She lost a lot of weight at that time just to portray her role as ballerina. Do not fear. It was my choice not my mom. Oh and I still dance ballet whenever I like to – you know, just like a hobby.

 

The music stopped and a gasped for air. “Can we take a break?” I pleaded.

“Yes you can, but you may not.” My mom replied smirking at me. Like seriously mom.

“Mom, please!” I pleaded once more.

“Honey! Check your grammar first.” She smiled at me as she lectured me.

 

I looked at her dumbfounded. Earlier she was scolding me for my dancing and now, she’s scolding me for my grammar. She is definitely consistent being inconsistent.

 

“Your Majesty, may we please take a break?” I asked her with a small hint of sarcasm.

She smiled and nodded her head. “Oh sure honey! Let us take 10”

 

“Thank you!” And with that I collapse to the floor, breathing wildly for air.

 

---

 

“Has anyone saw mom?” I asked everyone at the dining hall.  

 

It was lunch time and I found myself seating beside my brother and my dad eating. Hmm! I wonder how the cooks make these meals into a scrumptious feast.

 

“She is with Sebastian finishing up last minute preparation for the big feast on my birthday.” Dad said in between chews.

 

Joonmyun lowered his head towards my ear. He smelled so wonderful. “Your Highness, would you like us to call the Queen then?” ! Can someone please keep him away from me? My heart is beating fast and I do not know why.

 

“No-no. She hates being disturbed from her work. Let her be.” I managed to stutter out earning a chuckle from Taemin. I swear if he does not stop, I will shove a fork down his throat.

 

Trying to ignore my brother, I look at dad and changed the topic back to my dad’s birthday “How many guests are we expecting?”

“I think your mom invited a hundred or two.”

“Whoa! That many? And the security?”

“Heavier than before.”

“I see.”

 

I placed my utensils on my plate and motioned one maid to pick it up for me and deliver my dessert. I look at everyone the room as I fondle with my fingers under the table. Behind my dad was Wu Yi Fan, Xiumin and that panda looking guard named Tao. As for me, I have Mr. Handsome on my right side, Baekhyun by my left and Kyungsoo behind me. Taemin has Sehun, Chanyeol and Jongin behind him.

 

Hmm! Wait. Jongin looks familiar.  He looks like someone I know. I tapped my chin and drifted my sight to Taemin. I blink my eyes.

 

“Yah! Noona! What’s with the look?”

 

I squinted my eyes at him and looked back at Jongin. I stare at him for a minute before bursting out laughing. Everyone was caught off guard and looked at me weirdly. My dad almost choked from my sudden outburst. “Why are you laughing?”

 

I was tearing up. I could not breathe properly. “Dad, look at Jongin.” He looked at me in a confusing manner before looking at Jongin. “Now look at Taeminnie.”

“Ok, Now what?”

“They look like twins.”

 

He blinked his eyes a few times before he started laughing with me. Everyone took notice and started to laugh as well – except for Taemin, of course. He gave me a death glare and reward him with my tongue sticking out.

 

“Jongin, I’m sorry you got compared to my annoying brother.” I laughingly said, wiping my tears.

“HEY!” Taemin shouted at me.

Dad looked at him wiping his tears as well “watch your manners, Taemin. She is your noona.”

 

Poor Jongin, getting compared to my brother like that. Sorry bro, I have to sympathize Jongin right now. But I still love you, ok?

 

---

 

I stood up from my bed ruffling my hair in frustration. I cannot sleep at all. I looked at my digital clock on my table top and saw it was 1:14 in the morning. Why won’t my brain let me sleep tonight?

 

I groan in frustration and decided to grab my iPod and my dancing shoes a.k.a. foot killer. Tiptoeing outside my room and through the hallway, I quietly went to the practice room. Maybe I can use this time to practice a little more of those fancy waltz footsteps that I cannot seem to perfect.

 

As soon as I saw the coast was clear, I immediately run inside the practice room, closing and locking the door shut. The lasting I wanted to happen is being caught in a middle of a secret practice.

 

I some lights but not all of it. I wore my shoes before plugging in my iPod on the speaker. Within seconds, I started dancing. I closed my eyes trying to remember the steps. I imagine myself with a dance partner – more like Joonmyun in my opinion. I waltz around the dance floor hearing only the music and my heels clacking.

 

I might look stupid right now dancing alone to waltz like an idiot but who cares. No one is watching me right now to say that or even witness it. At least, I am practicing.

 

After a few minutes of dancing, I stopped right after I heard the last note. I slowly opened my eyes. I stared at myself in the mirror. I dropped my hands to the side. “Look at you! You are going to be a queen someday and yet you do not know how to simply dance a freaking waltz. Shame on you.” I scolded my reflection.

 

Suddenly, out of nowhere, I saw a silhouette of a man behind me. “Maybe you need some help, your highness.”

 

Scaring the hell out of me, I step backwards towards the mirror. “Who are you?”

“It is me, Joonmyun”

“What are you doing here?”

“I should be the one asking you that question, madam.”

 

I crossed my arms trying to act upset and cool as much as possible. “I’m practicing.” I arrogantly replied.

“How about you?”

 

“I was doing my last round of the night when I saw you sneaking out of your room, your highness. So I followed you.” He explained flashing me his oh so sweet smile.

“I remembered locking the door. How did you get in?”

“I have spear keys, your highness.”

“Why do you have those keys?”

“I’m one of your guards, remember?”

 

I looked at him dumbfounded. Of course, he has those keys. Stupid. My subconscious tell me off.

 

As I was busy arguing with my subconscious, I heard the waltz music play once more. I diverted my attention to him coming closer to me. Offering his hand, he courteously bowed “May I help you practice, your highness.”

 

I blushed at his actions “Please call me Mia instead.” He looked at me and smiled once more before holding onto my right hand with his and placing his left hand by my waist.

 

“Alright then, Mia. Just follow my lead and you will be fine.” He told me and I nodded in response.

 

From the time we started dancing, we were drawn to each other’s eyes. We danced maintaining the eye contact that we have. God! My heart is beating fast again and I feel so tingly inside. Why am I feeling this way?

 

After the song ended, we still continued dancing. “Ah, Suho? The music stopped already.”

He knitted his brow together in frustration “Suho? Who is that?”

I mentally facepalm myself.

 

“It is actually you. I mean you are Suho. What I really mean is that, that is the nickname I giving you. Suho – as in guardian.” I stuttered a bit.

He let out a chuckle “Sure! From now on, I’ll be Suho.”

 

Yes! You are my Suho – my one and only guardian.

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

I know I’m a few hours late but oh well. Hahaha! And to compensate for my late update I uploaded a poster and a background courtesy of ▸ abundant felicity designs & reviews. Thank them for their wonderful artwork. I suggest you give them a try. They are awesome!

I guess I have to go now. I have to wake up early later. It’s already 3:15 am here already. I’ll upload the next chapter by tonight or tomorrow.

Oh and don’t forget to comment, alright?

I’ll see you on the next chapter then! J

-AyaTenshi