Princess' Disappearing Act

Royal Treatment

 

 

Grand Entrance? Check.

Dance with the King? Check.

Dinner? Check.

Few minutes of socialization before the program resumes?  In process.

 

I stood awkwardly in a tight princess dress that the royal stylists forced me to wear. Would you believe they had me wear a corset to (as they say) keep an hourglass figure.

 

I could not forget the pre-event preparation they done to and for me. And by ‘they’ I mean those stylists who did this to me. They started with a thorough body scrubbing then another thorough procedure came into the picture – The very painful waxing. Plucking my eyebrows, to be shape into perfection, was next. And then there’s the portion where they had the manicure and pedicure session, which frankly is my favourite part. Then there’s the gown fitting.

 

Remembering what they’d done to me makes me squirm a little. Or is it just the dress?

 

Damn this tight corset.

 

“Nice party, right, your highness?”  A tall handsome man in his 40’s spoke out.

“Indeed, it is, sire” I replied stressing the last word.

“How rude am I?” He nervously chuckled scratching the back of head shyly and apologetically. “Kim Sung Soo, Secretary of the State for the Department of Business, Innovation and Skills, your highness.” He bowed with utmost care which forced me to respond to bow back.

“No need to be sorry” I giggled.

“Who wouldn’t be sorry for what I had done to the princess?” He joked which made me giggle once more.

 

From there, we started to converse about anything under the sun. From the party attendees to the food catering. We even discussed foot sizes. Well – don’t ask how we got there. I never really realized that we talked for more than half an hour already. To make things interesting, 7 more government officials joined the bandwagon and chatted with us nonstop.

 

So this is what socialization is all about.

 

--

 

I’m now stuck in a crowd surrounded by our government’s officials. It’s kind of awkward at first (mainly) because I’m the only girl – I mean lady in the conversation. Our topics change as fast as a speeding car late for work – whatever that means. The string of topics runs long and interesting.

 

I started to space out and ignore their conversation regarding politics. Honestly, Politics never interest me. Although according to my dad, I should start paying attention to it because it would own a whole chuck of my life once I had my chance to sit on the throne.

 

“Come on guys. Give our crown princess a break.” Someone said pulling me back to reality.

“How awful are you for surrounding the princess?” He jokingly asked.

 

Everyone in the group let out a chuckle.

 

“Good Evening, your highness. I’m Kim Jonghyun.” The guy who’s responsible for disturbing my thoughts introduced himself.

 

I looked at him carefully studying him -- Brownish hair, puppy eyes, prominent and sharp jawline that made him look like a cross breed between a dog and a dinosaur, oh and his height is noticeable because he’s short for a guy in his 20’s. I started asking myself how someone can look so y and cute at the same time.  

 

He held my hand and kiss the back of it. I flash him a smile thinking it would hide my slightly blushing cheeks.

 

“The son of the greatest duke is here.” Sung Soo (sarcastically) commented.

Jonghyun let out a chuckle before smirking at the older male. “Well – Mr Secretary of the State, the son of the greatest duke is now the new duke.”

“Oh really?” the older male raised his brow at him showing him that he’s a little bit sceptical about what he said.

“You can ask my dad if you want to.” The younger guy replied.

 

So he’s a duke. Well that’s interesting.

 

He held my hand once more, caressing it. “So your highness. I hope you don’t mind me stealing you away from these old men.” He said earning him deathly glares.

 

For some unknown reason, I nodded my head and left the group with him.

 

What am I going to do now?

 

Moreover, what is he planning?

 

--

I think going with Jonghyun was a good idea. He keeps on telling stories about his friends and how they goof around. Like one time when they have a drinking session their oldest friend got drunk and kept on wrestling one of their friends whom they love to bully a lot.

 

I wish I could experience that – having more friends. Not that I don’t have friends. I actually have but they are like facebook friends, you don’t know most of them. I sometimes think they are just hanging out with me because of my status.

 

I should make a mental note of making real friends not the fake ones.

 

Back to Jonghyun, I’m enjoying his company. I kept on laughing my head off from his crazy antics and jokes. He’s a fun guy to be with.

 

“Your Highness?” I heard a familiar voice called my attention – Suho.

 

He stood beside me wearing a white dress shirt, black vest, black jacket and black pants. My subconscious droll over his presence as my heart behave abnormally.

 

What in the world is happening to me?

 

“May I have this dance?”

 

Wait! Did he just ask me to dance with him?

 

“Excuse me?” That’s the only words my brain could come up.

He let out a chuckle. “Your Highness, may I have this dance?”

 

I smiled at him and stared at his wonderful eyes. God. They are mesmerizing. I think it hypnotized me. We look at each other’s eyes and I swear to God, I feel butterflies in my stomach and sparks flying everywhere – if you can get what I mean. For a moment there, I felt that we were the only one people in the hall.

 

Why am I feeling this way?

 

“Trying to steal my lady, young man?” Jonghyun interrupted with a hint of threat.

 

Darn it. I forgot about him. I blame it all on Suho.

 

Suho smiled “No, sir. I’m just doing my job.”

“Ha! Job? Asking your highness to dance is your job? Are you a dance instructor by any chance?” Jonghyun smirked at him.

“Jonghyun, stop it.” I tried to in but to no avail, they still continued with their pissing off contest.

 

Are they doing their testosterone pissing off battle here?

 

Suho suddenly glared at him. What the --? This is not good.

 

“Just so you know, Kim Jonghyun – the new addition to the cluster of Dukes, I am Princess Mia’s personal guardian. I’m here to take her away from all possible threat and harm around her.”

 

Guardian? Threat? Harm?

 

Jonghyun snickered. “And I’m not that dense not to figure out that I am a threat and harm to the princess that you are pertaining to.”

“At least you got my point, sir.” Suho smirked at him.

 

For some apparent reason, Jonghyun found this very funny and laughed out loud clapping his hands like a retarded seal. “I think that’s my cue to leave.”

 

“Until we meet again, your highness” He bid farewell kissing the back of my hand.

 

I watch Jonghyun as he walks away from me into a crowd of ladies. In no time, he (just) disappeared into thin air as all the ladies swarm around him.

 

What on earth is happening now? There’s something strange about this evening.

 

Suho fakely let out a cough and ask “So how about that dance?”

 

I stared at him blankly. WHOA! Why is that question so y than the original one?

 

--

As soon as we hit the dance floor, the orchestra played a slow music. He smiled at me and I smiled back hoping he doesn’t notice me blush immensely. Like all the dance protocol, Suho showed his utmost respect and courtesy by slowly bowing as he held my hand. Panicking, I bowed in a hurry bumping our heads.

 

How clumsy can I be?

 

“I’m sorry. Truly, I am. I’ll make it up to you, I swear!” My mouth started to blurt out these words.

He rubbed his temple laughing hysterically. “It’s alright. Shall we dance now?” And with that, I just nodded.

 

We swayed slowly to the music as his hands were around my waist and mine around his neck. Isn’t this how couples dance?

 

“Let me guess. You changed your shoes again.” Suho jokingly said out of nowhere.

I laugh throwing my head back. He knows me very well. “You got that right.”

“Converse?”

“Yup! Chuck Taylor Platform Black Multi“

He laughs. “No wonder you’re a bit taller than me.”

 

God! His laugh is contagious, He is making me laugh as well.

 

“You better change your shoes. The queen might found out that you’re wearing a guy shoes.” He teasingly remarked.

“Pft! Like that’s going to happen.” I pouted.

 

I won’t get caught. Mom is too busy socializing with our people, so I’ll definitely get away with this. Although mom got me the last time, I’m confident enough that I will get away with this.

 

“Stop doing that.” Suho suddenly disrupted me thoughts.

“Doing what?” I cocked my head to the side.

He turn his head to the side. “That – pouting your lips.” He manage to stutter out.

 

Did he just stutter? Seriously?

 

“What’s wrong with pouting my lips like this?” I teasingly asked as I pouted my lips some more.

 

He looked at me with his eyes wide as if it was about to pop. He abruptly turned his head to the side coughing fakely.

 

What’s happening to him?

 

“What? Yes? I got it.” He suddenly spoke.

I questionably looked at him. “Did someone radioed you?”

“Kris, to be exact. I shall you to the dressing room now.”

“But why? We’re still dancing.”

“As much as I want to dance with you all night, we have a program to follow.” He formally informed me before leaning into my ears and whisper “You need to prepare for your performance for the king. Or did you forget that?”

 

I shivered not only because of his oh-so-sweet voice but (as well as) the fact that I totally forgot about our surprise performance for our dad.

 

I’m so dead.

 

--

Our special surprise for our dad should start any minute now. But why am I shaking and sweating badly?

 

“You know, if you continue doing that for the rest of the night. You’ll lose all those fats of yours.” Taemin remarks as I began to pace back and forth.

I glared at him. “Haha. Very funny. And for the record, I’m not fat!”

“Noona, Stop! Why are you walking back and forth, anyway?” I heard my brother asked jokingly.

“We practiced for one day – ONE FREAKING DAY! What if I made I mistake? What if my voice crack? What if I –“

He let out a loud chuckle “Calm down. You’ll do great.”

“Easy for you to say. You never had experience stage fright before.” I roll my eyes at him.

“Well that’s true.” He smirked at me.

 

I narrowed my eyes at him. Isn’t he too conceited?

 

“Ma’am? Sir? Everything is set.” I heard someone called out.

 

“Better get your act together, noona.” Taemin smirked at me. “There’s no turning back.”

I gulp down hard. “I can’t believe I’m stuck with a brother like you. I hate you so much.”

“I love you too, noona.” He teasingly chuckled.

 

Kill me now. Please!

 

--

 

The stage was big enough for an orchestra to perform on but the only people on the said stage was me and my brother. I would greatly appreciate it if we were situated at any side of the stage. Well, that did not happen. We have to stand frozen in front of the crowd thinking to myself why did I even agree on doing this?

 

I scan the crowd finding any answer to my stage fright remedy but nothing could save me from what I am going to do.

 

Just when I was supposed to lose my sanity, my little bro whispered “Don’t make fool out of yourself. The media is here. The entire kingdom is keeping their eyes on you.”

 

Jeez! Thanks bro! I’m now more nervous than ever. I hate you so much right now.

 

“Shut up. Let’s get this done – and fast”

 

--

 

The music stopped and silence filled the room. Me and Taemin look at each in a puzzled manner. Don’t they like the song? Did I sang out of tune? Did I mess up this time? Questions of doubts runs inside my head. Until our dad caught my attention as he abruptly stood up from his throne.

 

He clapped his hands with a huge smile on his face. And with that, the crowd went wild. Claps and (some) howling filled the great hall.

 

Taemin rested his hand on my shoulder. “See! They love us.”

“Ha! Look who has that ‘do-I-ed-up-because-I-never-ed-up-any-performance’ face?” I retorted taking his hand off my shoulder.

 

He chuckled making me join him in the process.

 

Honestly, even though my brother can be a pain on the bottom he is still the best brother anyone can have. Sure he can a handful and can piss me off -- big time -- but in the end he never fails to make me smile. I thank God for giving such a at the same fun brother. Haha!

 

“Let’s take our bow, noona.” He smiled at me while holding my hand in the process.

 

--

 

After getting down the stage, I was crowded by a lot of guess complementing how good I am and my brother was. I kept my smile on and thank them for their compliments. However, at the back of mind, I can’t help but think, are they saying good things in front of me because I’m the next heir to the throne?

 

So, I hurriedly (yet gracefully) escaped the crowd and found my way to one of the castle’s balcony. I took a deep breath and found myself sighing loudly. All this socialization is making me dizzy. A little time alone here at the balcony wouldn’t hurt that much, right?

 

“Hi there! Crown Princess.” Someone out of nowhere spoke.

 

Guess I was wrong.

 

I turned my head to the direction of the voice. I couldn’t clearly see his face. All I could see is a silhouette of a tall man. I sure enough that I don’t know him. But why is that I had this strong feeling that the voice sounds very familiar?

 

“I know you’re curious who I am.” He ask.

I took a step back. “You’re right about that. Who are you?” I spoke trying to sound oh-so-tough.

“A family friend.” He arrogantly replied.

“Show yourself!” I demanded.

He let out a chuckle. “If I show myself to you, you have to promise me one thing.”

I rolled my eyes at him crossing my arms across my chest. “I don’t make promises to strangers.”

“Then you leave me no choice but to carry you out of here.”

 

Before I could even react, he lifted me up to his shoulder carrying me down the balcony and into garden and out the castle grounds. I started hitting his back, shouting and screaming for help.

 

“That’s no use.” He laughingly said.

“Let me go.” I shouted as I hit his back repeatedly.

“All in time, baby.” He replied with a hint of humour in his voice.

 

I think I know who he is. Darn I hate this guy.

 


This update is long over due. Please forgive me. I got stuck with work lately -- making lesson plans, modules, worksheets, grades and annecdotal reports for my students. (Yes, I am a teacher by profession). I hope this chapter makes up for my absence. I'll update the next chapter by tonight or tomorrow -- as soon as I am done proof reading.

Anyway, noticed I added two new characters in the story? Please make sure to remember them. They'll have a crucial role in the future chapters so be prepared. I'll be introducing them below so you'll a reference afterwards if you suddenly forget them.

Oh and did you read the mysterious character who kidnap Mia?  Any guesses who is he?

Clue: Here's my confession to everyone-- I swear, every night is a sleepless night for me. 

Don't forget comment, subscribe and/or upvote -- if you can. Pretty please! GROWL! LOL!

-AyaTenshi <3

Kim Sung Soo

He is the Secretary of the State for the Department of Business, Innovation and Skills. Although he is already in his forties, he is still single -- and perhaps -- ready to mingle. A gentleman who has this charming looks and a mouthwatering body making him one of the top elligable bachelors throughout the kingdom. He has a strong reputation for being strict when it comes to business but all ends when it comes to partying.

 

 

 

 

Kim Jonghyun

The only child of the greatest duke in the kingdom. People think of him as a playboy because of his physique and looks but its the other way around. Everyone knows him as the life of any party and a chick magnet. He love music -- particularly singing (and he's freaking good at it). He is an absolute canine lover -- even confessing that his dog, Roo, is his girlfriend (not that he is a zoophiliac, ok?)