Full-Time Coach: Part 3

[Collection] Stories From The Universe That Aliens Tell About Humans

URGENT!

So it turns out I completely left off a really small part in the last update. It's really short but it does need to be in the story for the plot to flow on, so I would very much appreciate it if you could please go back to Part 2, and just read that very last part I left off (it will be marked). 

Thanks so much~

 


 

“Free food! Free food! Free food!” Jongdae wiggled his eyebrows, happily trudging next to Choa’s shopping cart.

“Shut up and go get me three noodle packs.” Choa barked.

Pouting, Jongdae stalked off and returned with three identical packs of rice noodles, tossing them on top of the carrots.

“Are three packs enough? Aren’t your roommates gonna be hungry?”

“They’re both out. One and a half packs is plenty for you and me tonight, and the rest will be for the real date.”

Choa steered her cart into the frozen section, scanning over packets with slimy squids squished in plastic.

“Your roommates aren’t in? Wait, so I get to be the first man you bring to your apartment, all by yourself, even before Yonghwa-nim?!”

Choa stacked squid packets in the cart and motioned for Jongdae to lead the cart out. He rubbed his arms and hurried out of the frozen section, stopping abruptly at the ice cream rack. He pointed to the small tub of chocolate swirl with a pout. Choa narrowed her eyes threateningly.

“Correction, I brought that freshman in my apartment last year while he waited for me to change for the fraternity rush. And since he was just a freshman, he doesn’t count. And considering you’re just a tiny little freshman too, not, a, man, yet, you don’t count either. Which still means Yonghwa sunbae will be the first man in my apartment. Got it?”

Jongdae sulked until Choa reached up and added the chocolate swirl ice cream to the cart. Brightening, he sped up to the register, mumbling, “Whatever you say.”

Choa’s apartment was slightly crammed for one shared by four. Jongdae liked the cozy, neatness, lugging the groceries on the kitchen table and helping himself to a quick footed tour.

“Quit snooping in my room!”

Jongdae chuckled and shuffled out of the room in the leftmost corner of the apartment, a door marked with a hand decorated sign that read, ‘Choa & Jimin’. He’d managed to catch an eye-full of a bunk bed, a dresser and mirror, wrinkled clothes stacking huge portions of floor space, an airy window catching the last of the orange sunset.

He sat in one of the kitchen chairs, watching Choa work in her teddy bear apron, setting her ingredients here and there. Cutting vegetables and arranging them according to color, occasionally brushing back loose strands of that orange-gold hair.

“So your next date with Jisook is the show tomorrow night?” Choa asked, slipping a slice of cucumber in .

“Yep. We’ll catch you guys’s show, and if she’s hungry afterward, get something to eat. She’s been looking forward to this. She says she’s never had a lot of friends in the theater department.”

“That’s exciting! But it makes me nervous! Her first Kyunghee University musical has me in it!”

She sat a large pot on the stove, leaving the noodle packets open next to it, tossing used utensils in the sink and stacking new ones into place with the ingredients.

“That was my plan all along, you know? To get you as nervous as possible, with Jisook coming to see the show, and Yonghwa sunbae acting with you, and most importantly, me being there…”

Choa rolled her eyes. “Yeah since I get so nervous performing for you.”

Jongdae helped himself to bottled water on top of the fridge, peeping closer at the sauce mixture Choa was stirring.

“I’ve never seen you cook, noona.” Jongdae circled the kitchen, examining Choa’s work like a critic. “I’ve had your cooking before, but I’ve never seen the process. It’s interesting.”

Choa slapped Jongdae’s hand away from swiping too many bell pepper slices.

“Oh yeah! Is your ideal type still a noona who can cook? Remember how disappointed you were when you tasted Jiyuel’s cooking, and she felt so bad she started taking cooking classes?”

Jongdae didn’t feel the need to join Choa’s laughter.

“You should ask Jisook to cook for you sometime! She seems like a homey, kitchen lover. Don’t you think?”

Jongdae returned to his seat at the kitchen table, looking through his phone. He pulled up his message thread with Jisook. She’d texted him during her internship, saying she wanted her work to end soon so she could enjoy her date with him tomorrow. A couple cute emoticons.

“I just don’t want to overburden her with anything. She’s so busy all the time. I feel like asking her out to dates is even bothersome sometimes, you know?”

Choa stopped and thought for a minute. She looked sharply at Jongdae, causing him to stare back quizzically.

“Kim Jongdae. You’re a great boyfriend. I guarantee you, she doesn’t think you’re overbearing at all. If anything, because she’s so busy, she needs to be taken out every so often. And little things like asking her to take time off from all her work to do something for you, like cook, will excite her! Trust me, she’ll feel like you’re important to her, and she’s important to you. Doesn’t that sound so nice and cheesy?”

Choa shuffled to the fridge and took out a slice of cheese from the racks, eyes wide and twinkling. Jongdae’s thoughtful expression fell.  

“Noona. Please do not do that in front of your Yonghwa sunbae-nim. You’ll run him out of the door before the noodles finish cooking. Please don’t.”

Choa’s shoulders plummeted, her lips puffing in a huge pout. She tossed the cheese slice back in, checking the bubbling noodles unenthusiastically.

The exasperation quickly boiled to that short tempered anger Jongdae had expected. She sneered, turning toward him, lunging for him with a long chopstick she’d been using to stir the noodles. The thin wood piece almost came down on him. Almost.

“Yah! You!” She yelled.

“Noona! Sorry! Noona! I’m just trying to coach, remember?”

Choa scoffed at him silently, mouth twitching in annoyance. Jongdae watched her quietly, holding in the snicker, as she finished the bibim-myun. They sat together at the table, Jongdae clicking his chopsticks eagerly.

“The moment of truth!”

The smooth, cold noodles slid into his mouth easily. Choa’s bibim-myun was out of this world. Jongdae chewed, swallowed, and met Choa’s gaze, his jaw gaping. She glowed, not just her orange-gold hair but the expectation and the anticipation, the light in her eyes.

“It’s delicious.”

“Really?”

“Really.”

Jongdae laughed. Choa bit her lip and pumped her fist proudly, digging in herself. Jongdae complained that in all these years he’d known her, Choa had barely cooked for him a few times. Choa waved him off with a giggle, changing the subject to her date plans with Yonghwa, to Jongdae and Jisook.

“Do you think Yonghwa sunbae will offer to help me with the dishes?”

Choa handed Jongdae a slippery, soapy bowl, Jongdae almost dropping it in his already foam covered hands, just catching a hold of it safely to rinse it under the cool faucet water.

“I don’t really know him too well, so I can’t say.” Jongdae fumbled, trying to stack the washed dishes so they wouldn’t fall. “But most guys, I’d say, wouldn’t in this kind of situation. Especially college guys.”

Choa nodded. She ran over details of how she wanted their date to go over chocolate swirl ice cream. Jongdae unconsciously brought up images of him and Jisook on their first date at the ice cream shop, vanilla and chocolate melting on his tongue. For her date with Yonghwa, Choa wanted to bake for dessert too, which Jongdae opposed. He got her to agree to fruit instead.

Choa leaned against the small couch in her living room while Jongdae pulled on his shoes, straightened up, and waved. Seeing her still in her teddy bear apron, still dimly glowing from her cooking success, Jongdae could imagine it happening. Yonghwa, reluctant to leave after the dinner and desert, giving Choa a long kiss before he finally got out of the door. And afterward, Choa standing in the doorway for a while, replaying the date in her head, and then, texting Jongdae with her initial reaction.

“Kim Jongdae! Why are you just standing there? Aren’t you gonna leave?”

Choa had walked up to him, just beyond the doorway, peering up. She’d always been so short for a mean, charismatic theater sunbae.

“You’re so eager to kick me out, noona.”

Jongdae smiled, patting Choa’s head, soft strands of orange-gold smooth against his palm. Choa raised her eyebrow, pushing Jongdae’s hand off of her, and sent him out, giving his arm a light squeeze.

“See you tomorrow Jongdae.”

Jongdae wanted to watch her close the door before he took the elevator. “I can’t wait to see the show.”

She stuck her tongue out at him, and then her bright head disappeared.

 


 

Jisook’s hands fit even in between Jongdae’s fingers. She lit up when the musical began, sitting up in her seat, eagerly watching classically dressed students hopping on stage, opening with a vibrant dance number.

Jongdae’s eyes trailed the charming lead male from his first appearance. He was handsome in such a human way; friendly aura, strong voice.

“That’s the guy you told me Choa was seeing, right? Here she comes out! Wow, they have almost perfect chemistry.”

Choa twirled to the center of the stage in a baby blue dress, confidence radiating with the sly expression, actors around her toppling over dramatically at her beauty. Yonghwa, in the very center of all the guys checking Choa out, swept her up and down with an awed smile, breath catching with exaggeration.

Jisook loved the show. She laughed generously with each extensive dance number, over-the-top body and facial expressions, unreasonable romance twists, the whole package.

The main female character of the show fit Choa like a glove. She danced on stage like she was home, brushing past, shyly conversing, and finally falling into the arms of, the male lead, who gave up the future his father had wanted for him to be with Choa.

In the very last scene of the show, Yonghwa tiptoed to a lone bench on the right edge of the stage, where Choa sat, face glum, hands interlocked. Yonghwa explained to her how he’d settled his differences with his father. Choa listened, shocked, the astonishment growing as Yonghwa went down on his knees, drawing out a small box. The audience ‘aww’-ed, Jisook included, and Yonghwa pushed the ring in her finger.

They shared a kiss. Jongdae’s mouth twisted. Mostly, casts planned their performances so that actors and actresses didn’t have to actually kiss. But the kiss Yonghwa and Choa shared was real. Jongdae hadn’t expected it.

The applause died down with the cast heading off backstage for the second time. Jisook turned with a bubbly smile.

“That was amazing! We have to go talk to Choa, right?”

Jisook tangled her hand with Jongdae’s and led them out to the hall.

Choa hadn’t changed out of her last stage costume. Being the first night of showing, peers, underclassmen, and faculty swarmed her. The hall light shown on her glittery stage makeup, brightly colored dress, and most prominently, her orange-gold hair.

“Choa!” Jisook cheerfully greeted. Choa brightened more when she saw them. Yonghwa stood just beside her, light hand on her shoulder.

“That was phenomenal! I wish I’d known about theater department shows before! I really liked it a lot. And your acting, Choa, it’s marvelous. Two thumbs up!”

Jongdae chuckled at Jisook’s enthusiasm, and Choa led introductions between Jisook, Jongdae and Yonghwa. It didn’t feel like it was the first time Jongdae was meeting the guy. His handsomeness intensified up close. He was broad and built, but his brow and voice were gentle; everything a girl could fall for in one man.

Jisook lent similar compliments about the show to Yonghwa after being formally introduced. The guy was modesty wrapped in ribbons. Jongdae wished the guy would just admit he was a talented actor. While the three chattered on, Jongdae mindlessly played with Jisook’s hand in his. Choa and Yonghwa’s chemistry seemed to be the center of conversation.

“The cast is heading out for pork grill and soju. Do you guys wanna join us?” Yonghwa finally turned to Jongdae, looking back and forth between the couple, and Choa. Cast members around them in the hall had begun threading off into changing rooms.

“They have their own date planned for tonight. I’m sure they wanna be off by themselves than with a mob of theater kids.” Choa teased.

“It has been a while since Jisook and I got to have a proper date. Don’t mind us, we’re not even part of the cast.” Jongdae wound his arm around Jisook’s waist, turning away from the couple in front of them.

“Oh, alright then, we won’t keep you guys from enjoying your date! Nice meeting you, Jisook, Jongdae.” Yonghwa said, Choa waving both hands cheerfully with Yonghwa joining in. Jisook returned them a bright smile, and leaned into Jongdae, following his lead out of the theater building.

The exit at the end of the hall seemed distant. Jongdae’s grip around Jisook’s waist loosened momentarily, his neck craning back to watch arms drape around Choa from behind, Yonghwa trailing at her back with the two of them glued, vintage-looking in their costumes, hall lights illuminating the pair like center stage.

 


 

“When do I get to see you in a show, Jongdae?”

Jisook paused eating when she talked. If she directed the question, she only resumed eating after Jongdae began to answer. She had a cute way of eating her pasta, like a shy puppy feeding. And she was the opposite of Choa, who focused on looking at her food and eating when they talked, and who, more or less, ate like nothing shy of a boa constrictor devouring a young elephant.

Jisook’s eyes sparkled, waiting for his answer. Jongdae felt iron in his chest with the weight of her expectation. He breathed out.

“I don’t know noona. I hope you’ll get to see me in one, maybe by the end of this semester. Actually… I’ve been thinking about changing my major.”

The confession was sudden. Jongdae had hidden most of his conflicts with his theater and acting classes from Jisook, having poured them out to Choa instead. All at once, here he was, having to explain himself. Jisook nodded and listened well, as he told her about his troubles acting, finding motivation, seeing into his future.

The disappointment he’d expected to settle in the twinkle in her eyes didn’t come. The light only shifted, to worry and understanding.

“I didn’t know you were having so much trouble, Jongdae. I should’ve asked you how you were doing more, huh? You were always so good at cheering me up when I have to spend hours in the library.” Jisook pouted, gaze circling about.

“You were just busy. I wanted to cheer you up, you know I’m an expert at it.”

Jongdae smiled and Jisook smiled back, but the lump in his chest stayed.

“At least… you didn’t have to keep it all to yourself? Right? You must have talked to your theater sunbaes…” Jisook’s eyes fell into the plates on the table.

This was what differed with Jisook and Choa. The timidity and uncertainty, against confidence. Jongdae tried hard to push Choa out of his mind. But he knew Jisook was referring to her. Not at all times but on occasions, Jisook had a knack for reading Jongdae. She had always tried to understand Jongdae and Choa’s relationship, and with optimism at that, even when Jongdae sometimes couldn’t.

“Yeah… it did help a lot.”

Jongdae laced his hand with Jisook’s as they walked to her car, parked on a campus lot. Again, he refused her offer to drive him to his dorm. Jisook was never insistent, but she seemed more disappointed than any other time. Jongdae tried not to think too much of it.

“I’m sorry I didn’t know about things until now, Jongdae. I’m sorry I didn’t pay you enough attention the way you did. But you know, I really do care, and you can always talk to me. You don’t have to think I’m too busy for you.”

It wasn’t her fault. They squeezed into the space between her Hyundai and a rusty Rexton, standing by her door.

“Jongdae, you’ll be alright, right? Don’t stress too much over things, okay?”

He gave her a nod and an eye-wrinkling smile.

Jisook brought her hands up to the sides of his neck. Jongdae followed her lead, gently holding her waist. Their lips met, softly, unspoken guilt meeting with them, subtle touch coarsening Jongdae’s senses.

And he pictured Choa and her Yonghwa sunbae, in the same type of position and mood as him and Jisook, but without the guilt, the differences.

“Thank you for the date, Jongdae.”

Jisook pulled out of the lot and drove off, and Jongdae trudged back to his dorm, footsteps heavy. Why he dreaded the text he’d receive any minute from Choa now, asking how his date with Jisook went, he didn’t know. Jisook and Choa were very different people. Jongdae knew that. Jisook was the one he had just kissed. Jisook was his girlfriend. Choa, was the one who’d been on his mind.