Committing Suicide: Part 4

[Collection] Stories From The Universe That Aliens Tell About Humans

Soojung almost couldn’t handle the awkwardness of walking back to her parents’ house, side by side with Junmyun. The absurdity of the fact that this random stranger would be staying at her house, pretending to be her boyfriend to her parents, still messed with her brain.

Bits of what Jiyoon had said to her earlier that day kept swimming through her thoughts. Why didn’t she just dump him off at the rehabilitation center? Soojung stole a quick glance to her side, just catching the pale white skin and smooth red hair of the guy walking beside her. She wondered what had happened to him to make him want to end his life. She wondered what was going through his mind right now. She wondered how he planned to get his mind and life back together, staying with Soojung.

“I…” Junmyun’s hesitant voice snuck its way into the silence between them, and Soojung looked up, meeting his eyes. When she did, however, he quickly switched his gaze to the ground.

“I wanted to tell you, that your voice is phenomenal,” Junmyun mumbled, a shy smile overtaking his face.

Soojung continued to look at him. She had received compliments from so many other people that day, but for some reason, this one, from Junmyun, made her heart leap faster than ever. Of all people, a suicidal man complimenting her singing made her feel the most flattered. She couldn’t believe herself.

“Jiyoon is right. It would be such a crime if more people didn’t get a chance to listen to your voice,” Junmyun added, making Soojung curse herself for her face heating up. But this was what she had wanted all her life, anyway. She wanted to sing and touch people. Maybe she had touched this suicidal man in a positive way, and that was why she felt so flattered.

 


 

Soojung’s mother seemed so excited about having Junmyun as a guest for dinner, it made him momentarily wonder if he had done something wrong to her brain when he’d used his powers on her and Soojung’s father earlier. But he decided against it. He was an angel; how could he harm a human’s brain?

“How do you like the food, Junmyun? I hope you can get used to my cooking, since you’ll be staying for a while,” Soojung’s mother chimed.

Junmyun couldn’t taste anything he put in his mouth. Angels didn’t eat, and so even though he went through all of the motions of processing the food like Soojung’s family, he knew that the contents would eventually just dissolve inside him. He watched Soojung’s younger brother and copied everything he did, moving his mouth and feeling odd substances being reduced to even smaller substances under his teeth, swallowing when the substances couldn’t get any smaller. Truthfully, Junmyun didn’t find it a very enjoyable experience, but he managed to force a smile. “Everything tastes wonderful. Thank you so much for the lovely meal,” he replied. Soojung’s mother beamed at him, while Soojung let out a small chuckle beside him.

“Well, any luck apartment hunting, Junmyun?” Soojung’s father asked.

Junmyun opened his mouth to speak, but before he did so, Soojung cut him off. “We were too busy today to go looking!!” She cried, a little too forcefully. Junmyun noticed her father raising his eyebrow in question.

“Yes, and I also got to hear Soojung sing today!” Junmyun added, smiling at Mr. Lee, readying his mind to influence the man’s thoughts, “She’s amazing. She’s going to perform with several other singers at a performing stage next week! All of you should come watch her!”

The minute the words left his mouth, a signal went off in Junmyun’s mind, telling him that things had gone wrong. He felt a force weighing against his angel powers; a barrier preventing him from letting his influence overtake the minds of Soojung’s parents.

“Dad, I can explain,” Soojung uttered, the trembling in her voice startling Jumyun.

“Lee Soojung, come to our room, now.” In a flash, Mr. Lee had raged up from his chair and stormed away, the loud crack of a door slamming shut making everyone flinch. In shock, Junmyun eyed the fallen, wooden chair that Mr. Lee had just been sitting in. When he turned to Soojung, he found her shade terribly pale, the color draining the life and light away from her at a daunting speed.

“I can’t believe this Soojung.” Soojung’s mother stated, the vivacity of her earlier tone completely replaced by a coldness that chilled Junmyun.

Without another word, Soojung’s mother followed Mr. Lee’s suit, and then, Soojung was sliding out of her chair, her trembling figure stumbling toward her parents’ room.

Junmyun was now left with Soojung’s younger brother, and a table full of half-eaten food items. All he could think was, what had he done wrong?

 


 

Things weren’t looking good at all. Junmyun confusedly got up from his chair, feeling the urge to follow Soojung, to try to influence her parents’ thoughts again. But he was stopped by the severe yelling of Soojung’s younger brother.

“What the heck do you think you’re doing!?!?!” the younger boy shouted, staring daggers straight into Junmyun’s face.

Soojung’s younger brother was the spitting image of his father, in a younger, middle school teen in his prime version. The boyish, almost baby-ish features of his thin eyes and full cheeks gave the impression that the young boy had years before he could mimic the wrath of his father, but the menacing glare he gave Junmyun said otherwise.

Junmyun found himself at a total loss for words. “I… what… Sanghoon-ah, what’s… what’s the matter?” he finally let out, “What did I do?”

“You don’t deserve to be my sister’s boyfriend. You’ve caused enough trouble as it is! You don’t even know what she’s gone through, do you?! She’s too nice and too fragile to tell you,” Sanghoon continued to glare at Junmyun. A terrible, heart wrenching sound from the hall made Junmyun jump. He desperately tried to deny that it was Soojung crying.

“My sister was scammed by a crook,” said Sanghoon, his gaze now shifted away from Junmyun. “That crook told her he would make her a singer if she paid him… he was so convincing, we all believed it. Dad was the most excited. We ended up paying him 500,000,000 won… and he ran off with all of it. Leaving my sister heartbroken. And Dad told her she couldn’t major in performance music any more, and she couldn’t dream of being a singer, ever again.”

The aora flashed through Junmyun’s mind, clearer, with more rawness this time. Sanghoon’s bitter voice clawed in his ear, “My sister is still too broken. She wants to sing so badly… but you’re not doing her any favors right now by spilling her secret to our parents, Mister so-called-boyfriend.”

Sanghoon let out a frustrated grunt, scowling at Junmyun with hostility. Junmyun stood there, baffled, not knowing what to do. What jolted him out of his confusion was the soft click of the door opening. Soojung walked into the dining room, eyes and cheeks red.

“Noona…” Sanghoon muttered, his tone immediately getting softer.

Junmyun moved toward Soojung, unconsciously taking her hand in his. “Thanks for letting me know, Sanghoon,” he said, hoping Soojung’s younger brother would genuinely feel Junmyun’s appreciation. He then pulled Soojung with him to the front door, and led her out of the house, feeling painstakingly numb as he gripped Soojung’s thin hand in his and felt her trying to muffle her quiet sobs.

 


 

Junmyun found the two of them sitting on a bench in the cold evening chill, dazed and shaken. In what felt like a trance, he listened to Soojung’s raspy breaths, forceful sniffs, shuddering skin.

“I’m sorry…” Junmyun breathed, feeling a storm brewing inside him. He felt himself pulling Soojung into his arms, just like the countless times Junmyun had watched humans embrace each other. Wet tears fell onto his shoulder. A mixture of emotions swirled inside Junmyun so disconcertingly, it took him a while to realize, his own body was shaking.

“Junmyun…?” Soojung spoke up, pulling her head back from Junmyun’s shoulder to give him a tearful frown. “Why are you crying?”

Junmyun tilted his head at Soojung. He didn’t understand the question. He just watched the clear water drops run down Soojung’s cheeks for a while, until he finally put up a hand to his own face.

His hand pulled back, wet. His vision was slightly blurred. There were human tears in his eyes, dripping from his pupils just like Soojung. He had to be hallucinating. Angels didn’t cry. Tears were human things. So then, why were his cheeks wet?

“Wha… what’s happening to me..?” Junmyun let out. His voice sounded foreign and unstable.

“Junmyun-sshi, are you okay?” Soojung had collected herself. Her eyebrows were set in a deep frown, her teary eyes, full of worry.

Junmyun couldn’t even begin to put together what was happening to him. He felt so alien, experiencing so many things that he had never experienced before, that he should not be able to experience. Human emotions so wild and raw, they made him want to throw up. Human tears, hot and sticky. And what disturbed him the most was the fact that despite all the problems and the new wounds Junmyun had caused for Soojung, she was still worrying about him. She was putting her hands on his shoulders, trying to calm him down when she had just been the one in need of comfort, moments ago.

Nothing seemed to make sense, as Junmyun leaned his face into Soojung’s and touched his lips against hers. The new experience was enough to make Junmyun question all he knew about the relationship between angels and humans.

Junmyun felt himself back by Soojung. They locked eyes, just for a moment. Then, Soojung darted away, escaping Junmyun’s sight in a matter of seconds. Junmyun was left on the bench by himself, the sensation on his lips throwing him to his feet, his white wings spreading out behind him in one, powerful motion.

He took off toward the skies, part of him, lingering behind with Soojung, somewhere on the ground.

 


 

When Earth disappeared from Junmyun’s view, he realized, that he didn’t have control of his wings. They were leading him somewhere, without Junmyun getting any say as to where. He feared it was some sort of summon from the angel council. To banish him as an angel, for… for kissing Soojung.

In the clear, purplish blue evening sky, Junmyun made out the beginning of a vast stretch of clouds, light gray, almost blending into the heavens. His wings slowed to a stop at the edge of the clouds, and Junmyun’s feet landed, the weightlessness of being back in the heavens a little unfamiliar. He drew his wings into his back, and waited.

“Junmyun,” the voice was both monumentally booming and beautifully gentle at once. Junmyun immediately knew it was His voice. His heart knotted, and his neck craned upward, even though he knew all too well that he was going to see nothing.

“You don’t have to feel guilty. You haven’t done anything wrong,” The voice said.

“I… I didn’t mean to. I don’t know what happened. I know I can still…” Junmyun stuttered, his own voice so small and feeble in the silence of the night.

His voice interrupted, “Yes, you can still help her. I know you will. But before that, you have to understand what’s happening to you.”

Junmyun shut his mouth. He felt as if he had to listen, as if what he was going to hear was going to change everything he knew.

“You’re not the first angel to be born in an inappropriate place. Sometimes, the cycle of nature makes mistakes. Angels who were meant to be humans are put in the heavens. Humans who were meant to be angels are put on Earth. No cycle is absolutely perfect.”

Humans who were meant to be angels… Junmyun immediately thought of Soojung. And then, a thought flashed through his mind, making him gasp.

“But nothing in nature is purely accidental, either,” His voice continued. “When you got hit by that lightning, that wasn’t just an unfortunate accident, you have to understand. So much more came from that for it to be wholly accidental.”

Junmyun had heard stories of angels who had abandoned their angel lives and duties to go down to Earth, and live as human. They abandoned their wings, their much longer lifespans, their superior knowledge of the world, just to live the simple life of a human. Now, Junmyun not only believed those stories, he understood them. It wasn’t just how much Soojung had cared for a stranger like him. It was her voice. It was her and Jiyoon and their performing group. It was Sanghoon and his love for his older sister.

“I’m going to change you, Junmyun. I’m going to send you back down to Earth. Ask your three friends for help. And help her, not just in this one task that you know of, but at all times. You have a new role now, Junmyun. Human life is much shorter than what you’ve become used to, so live it to its fullest.”

And with that, Junmyun’s body was shooting down from the sky, nothing but gravity pulling his weight down to ground level. The rushing wind pummeled his face, and he felt infinite, falling. Just at the last second, Junmyun gathered himself together and let his wings loose, gaining control of his flight. His wings moved up and down, in confident , as sunlight moved into Junmyun’s vision and lit up his snowy white wings in a blanket of glittering, gold reflections.

 


 

Nothing about Soojung’s university seemed to have changed. Students went about their business just like the day before, and Junmyun observed them, in his same manner. A student couple who passed by Junmyun with their hands tightly woven together made Junmyun think of Soojung. He would have started looking for her, making his way to her and Jiyoon’s practice room, if he hadn’t spotted his friends arguing in the midst of the university students, invisible to human eyes.

“He’s gone mad I tell you, mad!” Jonghyun was shouting, shaking Kyuhyun’s shoulders wildly, while Sungjong watched them with baffled amusement.

Junmyun approached the three angels. “Talking about me?” He said.

“Yah, Junmyun!!!” Jonghyun cried, clamping his hands down on Junmyun’s shoulders as soon as he had gotten near the angels, “What in the flipping heavens did you DO!?”

Junmyun blinked at his friend. Sungjong spoke up in explanation, his voice much calmer. “We received new orders from the angel council this morning, Junmyun… we were sort of shocked with what we heard… they want us to help you with the process of you transforming into human?”

The three angels looked at Junmyun with confusion and worry in their eyes. Junmyun gave them a reassuring smile, although he couldn’t shake the feeling that he was in a sense, abandoning his friends for this new life he was choosing. “You heard right. I need you three’s help to become human,” he said.

“What? Why? What did you do wrong?” Jonghyun demanded.

“Nothing,” Junmyun replied, then let out a small chuckle. “Well actually… a lot of things. But I’m not becoming human as any sort of punishment. I want to. It was… fated.”

Junmyun told his friends about Soojung and everything that had happened in the last few days, all up to his meeting with Him. He couldn’t tell whether his friends understood what this new life meant for Junmyun, but he finished his story, looking at each of the angels’ faces expectantly.

“Wow…” Sungjong mumbled, scratching his head absentmindedly. “Giving up your life as an angel for this… Earth.” His blank expression circled his surroundings briefly, taking in the university students, passing by the visible angel talking to the three invisible angels with no interest whatsoever.

“You are one crazy old man,” Jonghyun remarked. He gave Junmyun a crooked grin. “But you know what, if that’s what you want and what He says you need to do, then, we’ll help you out.” He bumped Junmyun’s chest with his fist lightly, and turned to Kyuhyun.

“No offense Junmyun, but to be honest, you really were a terrible angel,” Kyuhyun added, smirking at his friend. “I mean, the three of us were a pretty reckless trio of angels to begin with, but you were the worst. All you ever did was mingle with the humans,” the gold-winged angel crossed his arms and laughed, Jonghyun and Junmyun joining in.

“I don’t think you need to worry about all the angel duties you’re leaving behind, Junmyun,” Kyuhyun continued, “Mister goodie goodie angel here should do a much better job at them than you would have ever.” He indicated to Sungjong, who perked up at the mention of his name, and then smiled at Junmyun wryly.

“I’ll miss those storm races,” Junmyun said, rubbing the back of his head sheepishly. It wasn’t time to say goodbye to his friends just yet, but he could already feel the weight of this new transformation in his life, heavy on his heart. “And take care of my juvenile friends, Sungjong,” he told Sungjong, knocking Jonghyun’s and Kyuhyun’s heads with his hand.

“The process of an angel becoming human...” Sungjong said, his chin. “There are a lot of small details involved, but it shouldn’t be a hard process. A birth certificate, a bank account with human money, a record of education… We’ll take care of things for you Junmyun. Just don’t screw things up with this last aora, and soon enough, you’ll be living as a human.”

And with small, playful exchanges of ‘see you soon you old man’s, the three angels flew off, leaving Junmyun in the human world.

 


 

[Ranting A/N:]

Something I've recently become enlightened to, you guys. So it turns out...

SM Entertainment just DOES NOT ship my couples.

It's the cold, harsh truth T^T

First, Minsul in To The Beautiful You.

And now, Taemin and Naeun on We Got Married.

Guys, is it SM that's doing this, or is it the SHINee boys, who are just getting in the way of my ships? Which would pain my heart terribly, because I love those boys to death.

Okay, well, I mean, it's okay. Ships are afterall only ships, and I'm completely open to new ships.

I just hope people won't shy away from trying out my ships, because of those more 'real' ships. Emphasis on 'REAL', eh-hem. (As in not really real, I mean cummon you guys.)

Yepp, so the next part will be the last part of Suho and Soojung's Committing Suicide~!

Thank you so so much for reading, as always ^^