Last Days of Summer [ONE-SHOT]

KYUYOUNG ONE/TWO SHOTS

One-Shot | Romance, Drama | G | Summer was ending, and Kyuhyun doesn't like it.


He stood by the veranda of the beach house, staring at the horizon ahead. The hot sun shining brightly that blinded his eyes, the clear sea sparkling under it, which was full of people, splashing and playing in the water. It was summer, the time for sunshine, beaches, swimsuits, having fun… but all of it doesn’t have any effect on Kyuhyun.

The warmth that summer offers, he can’t feel it anymore. Instead, he felt cold and empty, it was like all the happiness in him vanished. Nothing that happened all summer ever made him happy, except her.

She’s the only one that made him feel happy. Her smile, the way she talks and looks at him. It was more than enough.

“Kyuhyun-ah~”

Kyuhyun heard someone call him, but he ignored it. He was still sleepy, and wanted to sleep more.

“Kyuhyun-ah~!”

The voice was familiar, he knows he should get up, but his body refused to do so. He stirred.

“Ya! Cho Kyuhyun!”

The voice was now clear, and he recognized it. He chuckled weakly as he felt something soft hit his head. She was hitting him with a pillow. He stirred and willed himself to open his eyes and look at her, bedface and hair, it was the sight he liked to see every morning.

“Sooyounggie~ I want to sleep more~” he said, adding aegyo teasing her a bit.

“Ya! Don’t do aegyo on me! It doesn’t suit you!” Sooyoung shouted at him, while trying hard not to laugh. But it was still obvious.

Kyuhyun smiled, the fact that she’s energetic means that her condition is okay. He prayed and wished so hard that she’ll be always be like this.

“Kyu… I’m hungry…” Sooyoung lied back down, her face facing his, pouts at him.

Kyuhyun looks at her, just seeing her face and being with her, he was happy. “Should I cook something?” he asked, cuddling close to her.

“Mmm…” Sooyoung nodded, also cuddling to him.

Kyuhyun wrapped his arms to her and hugged her tight. “Maybe a little while later… I wanna sleep more.” He said, closing his eyes.

“Ya… I’m hungry…” Sooyoung pouted more and pokes his cheekc repeatedly. “Ya! Ya! Ya!”

“Arasseo, arasseo…” Kyuhyun chuckled and opened his eyes again. He looks at her smiling face. He leaned in for a quick peck. “Good morning.” He said, “Come on, let’s have breakfast.” Sooyoung smiled and they both got up and proceeded to the kitchen.

He’ll never get tired of waking up each day, just with her, forever.


He missed a lot of their happy moments together, because it was gradually fading, as summer was going to a close in a few days.

He drew a deep breath and decided to go inside. He immediately goes to their room. Once inside, he instantly saw her, sleeping peacefully on the bed. He watched her as her chest go up and down as he approached, afraid that it might suddenly stop.

Kyuhyun sat down at the chair close to her. And he just sat there, staring at her. His heart breaking into tiny million pieces as he saw how bad she looks, she looks worse than the week before. Her face was the palest he’d seen from her, she has bags under her eyes, she was thinner, the shikshin she’d known for years was not there anymore.

He’d never expected that this kind of thing would happen to her. He couldn’t find any reason why it happened. He felt betrayed by fate, why of all people, it had to be the one that he can’t live without, that she had to have this incurable disease. 

He reached for her hand and took it to his, he felt her soft thin hands, and caressed it to his cheek. In the past, he didn’t do anything to help her, he didn’t know. It was just too much to handle, and it hurt so much. But he realized, that she was the one hurting the most.

“Doctor, please no more… it… it hurts so much…” he heard her sob when he went to her room. He was standing outside the door.

“Ms. Choi, you have to do the chemotherapy, it’s the only thing that can save you. I’m sorry, but it’s the only thing that I could give.” The doctor said.

Kyuhyun felt his heart squeezed as he heard her cry, it was a pain that felt ten times worst than before. He felt guilty for not being there for her, he felt helpless, he was useless.

Suddenly, the door opens and the doctor stood staring at him. He looks back and bowed, “Hey Doc.”

The doctor just smiled and excused himself.

Kyuhyun looks inside, and found her lying on the hospital bed, crying softly, her back facing him. He felt another squeeze. He drew a deep breath and approached her.

“Soo…” he called her as he stood beside her bed. Reaching out to touch her, but he can’t, he felt he didn’t deserve it.

Sooyoung moved and looked at him, her tears unable to stop. She reached out and took his hand, and squeezed it. “Kyu… I missed you…” she said, her voice barely a whisper.

He couldn’t help it, tears started to fall, and he didn’t care how he looked in front of her. He just cried, holding her hand. “Soo… I’m sorry… I’m so sorry…” he said, repeatedly, until Sooyoung had to soothe him.

“Shhh… Kyu… please, stop it…” she said, sitting up and reaching to wipe his face. “Just be here please… I need you badly…”

Kyuhyun nodded, “I promise… I won’t ever stay away ever again…”


And he didn’t leave her side ever since that day, he promised, not only to her, but also to himself. He promised to be there and to help her in every way he can. If she didn’t give up, he won’t either.



*****

He woke up after feeling something in his hand move away, he didn’t realize that he fell asleep. He opened his eyes and saw Sooyoung sitting up. He immediately stood up to help her, it was hard for her to move, since she felt weak all over.

“Kyu… thanks…” she said, and smiled weakly at him.

“Anything for you.” He said and kissed her forehead. He sat down on the bed, opposite to her. “Do you want anything? Are you hungry?” he asks eagerly.

Sooyoung smiled again and shook her head. “No, I’m fine…” she said softly. She turned to the window and looked outside, it was already sunset. She looks back at Kyuhyun who was also looking outside.

“Kyu…” she called.

Kyuhyun looks back at her, “Yes?”

“I wanna go outside… I want to see the sunset.”

Kyuhyun was shocked, not by her request but because he suddenly felt scared after hearing it. And he didn’t like to think about what would happen.

“Are you okay? I mean, are you up to it?” he asks, he would do her request, but his concern was always that if she could do it. She was really weak.

She nodded eagerly, “Please…” she pleaded, afraid that he might not do her request.

“Okay… wait…” Kyuhyun said and stood up, and goes to the closet to get her a jacket. She draped it onto her. “So you won’t get cold.” He said and gave her a small smile. She smiled back, “Cold? It’s the summer, pabo-ya!” she giggled softly.

He chuckled a bit, he was really amazed at her, she can still joke and laugh if she wanted to. She had a positive outlook even though she knows about her condition, never did she give up. 

Kyuhyun helped her walk through the house, until they were outside. They sat down on the swing that was on the veranda. They were leaning on each other, or rather, Sooyoung was leaning on him. Her head was on his shoulder, arms intertwined.

They stared at the sunset, good thing the house faced the sea, it was really beautiful. It was Sooyoung who picked it out, and requested to live at the beach. It was quiet and calming as she said.

Minutes and seconds passed, but none of them noticed it. For them, it was like time stopped suddenly, just staring at the horizon ahead.

“Kyuhyun-ah~” Sooyoung called him after a while.

“Hm?”

“Sing me the song you wrote…” she said, lifting her head up to look at him.

“Did I write a song?” he asks, pretending to not know.

“Ya… it’s my favorite song… don’t pretend like you don’t know it.” she said, pouting at him.

Kyuhyun chuckled, “I know…” he said, and changed their positions, his hand were now behind her, securing her to him. He pulled her gently, closer to him. Sooyoung then leaned again to him.



 
[Your Eyes - Super Junior]
Bujokhaeteon naye moseup moduji ugo shipeo
Naran saram neoyegen baral georagon eopgeji
Neol wonhaneun mankeum sumgyeo on nae jimshim majeodo
Geu hanbeondo neoyege boyeojun jeogeobseo sseunikka

Hanbeon nal dorabwa neomu meolji anheun geose yeojeonhi seo ineun deuthae
Ajik giyeok haneunji neomani jeonbu in nal mineunji
Eonjekkaji ni gyeote naldulsu ineun geonji
Neolbeun sesange danhan saram, neoman won haneun na, ireon nareul algo ineunj
i


As Kyuhyun sang, he didn’t realize that he was already crying. He felt scared, that as summer was close to its end, so did she. He didn’t like to think that. 

But at the back of his mind, there was one thing that keeps circling in his head. It was the one that the doctor said when he talked to him.

“Her days are numbered. It will be a miracle if she could last until after summer…”

He looks at her and found that she was already sleeping. He kissed her on her head, as long as she was still there, he’s going to cherish every second, minute.

He continued to sing until the sun completely set, and another day has ended.
 
-END-
 
a/n: i dunno if you know, but anyway, this was my entry for a contest in lj, i didn't win though.. >< but it's okay~ ^^ hope you guys'll like it though~ ^^
 
ps. updates: SOON!