Keep Your Head Straight

Don't Undermine Me

“Ivy, I could watch you dance for hours! You have so much raw passion which really shines through when you dance,” he said.

“Well, dance is something that I’m very passionate about so I’m glad that you were able to recognise that,” I said.

“Not only are you smoking hot, but you can dance as well; a killer combination. I must have struck the jackpot!” he said.

”I’m not yours, am I? So I guess you haven’t stuck the jackpot,” I said.

“Oh, stop it,” he said.

“Stop what?” I asked.

“You know, I can see everything; you’re being such a tease, why?” he asked.

I looked down and realised that I was just in my leotard, stockings and ballet shoes. If I was having a ballet lesson, it’d be fine with wearing it but I’m not so I felt really bare.

“Um, I’m going to change,” I said.

“No, it’s fine; wear whatever you’re comfortable in! I won’t e at you or anything if that’s what you’re worried about. If you can wear your ballet clothes around that ‘Marc dude’, you should be fine with wearing it around me,” he said.

“I know that you wouldn’t even hurt a fly; that’s not what I’m worried about but I really can’t dance hip hop in these Pointe shoes. A bit of notice would have been well appreciated, Kris!” I said.

“You wouldn’t have come here if I gave you notice, would you?” he asked.

“Oh, that’s true!” I replied.

I looked through my bag and could only find a pair of casual ugg boots.

“Hey, are ugg boots alright to dance in?” I asked.

“Yeah, they’re fine. Do you always just wear a leotard to dance in?” he asked.

“I thought you said you weren’t going to e!” I said.

“Oh please! I’ve seen women with much better, defined bodies than yours so please don’t act like its’ amazing or something! Don’t get your knickers in a twist! Your whole body is so flat, yuck,” he said.

“Go! What are you doing here? You should be out partying, getting high or something! I’m sorry that my body isn’t as defined, perfect or voluptuous as some of the bodies you’ve seen but I really don’t need you to tell me how inadequate my body is! I couldn’t care less what you think because I’m sure that some guy out there will appreciate my body more than you do and for what it’s worth! How about we just focus on the dance lesson at hand,” I said.

I quickly changed my shoes and stood up. Kris looked furious; I guess what I said struck a chord.

“Okay, let’s get started,” I said.

“What? Aren’t you going to wear pants or a jumper?” he asked.

“It’s not like its cold or anything and we’re going to develop a sweat dancing. Look at yourself; you’re wearing just a wife beater and shorts. There’s no reason for me to wear pants or a jumper. I couldn’t care less about what I’m wearing since I’m around you. You have the pleasure of looking at just how ‘ugly’ my body is. Yay for you!” I said.

Kris walked over to the speaker system and chose the song Turn Around by Ne-Yo.

“Okay, teach me, sensei,” I said.

The lesson went on pretty smoothly; I learnt numerous things from Kris. He’s a really patient teacher so I’m very thankful towards him. Now I don’t look like a dying retarded whale when I dance hip hop which is great! I can use some of these moves on the dance floor at a club. I knew that something was bothering Kris since he seemed a bit tense and angry. When we finished our lesson, we packed up and I put on some track pants and a long sleeved jumper.

As we were walking out of the studio, I decided to ask Kris a question, “Hey, what’s wrong?”

“Nothing,” he replied.

“Please, don’t try and lie to me,” I said.

“I’m right in front of you! Why do you think that I’m going to go anywhere? Why would you bring some other guy into this?” Kris asked.

“Kris, you can’t go telling me that I’m hot then have a change of heart and tell me that I’m ugly. Who are you to compare me to one of your girl toys?” I asked.

“I didn’t mean that!” he said.

“When people are angry they tend to blurt out the truth. But, can I just tell you something?” I asked.

“Yes, you can,” he replied.

“When you love someone you need to treat them with respect and look at them. Look only at them. Don’t go comparing them to someone else because in your eyes they should be the most beautiful person in the world! What sort of man thrives on hurting a woman’s feelings? A coward, who is too shy to show his true feelings, anyways, I’m going home now. Have a good night and call or text me next time if you want to hang out,” I said.

I walked over to my Ferrari.

“Wait, I honestly think that you’re beautiful and your body is quite frankly a work of art shaped by a God. I’m truly sorry for comparing you to other women that I’ve met when you surpass all of them easily. You’re such a tease though; you should know how attracted I am to you! Why else would I be here if I didn’t like you? I tend to say the wrong things when I’m angry! You look beautiful even when you’re sweating and have your hair in a messy bun!” he said.

“Do you really mean everything you’ve just said?” I asked.

“Every single word,” he said.

I walked over to him and kissed his cheek, “Goodnight,” I said then hopped into my car and drove home. I don’t know how to explain it but I guess you just feel euphoric to know that someone likes you. Is the great Ivy Li falling in love? HAH as if.