o21

C H O S E N

“Hurry up!”
“I’m in no rush to see the end of the world, thank you.”

It was the next day.  The last day.  Ilhoon with Ace along his side kept running ahead of Sohyun who walked nonchalantly.  They kept stopping to run back to her and urged her to walk faster.  She ignored them completely and said they would get there when they got there. When they arrived at their destination, a swarm of people were already at the bridge of Han River.  They were the people curious to see the last moments of Earth before their very own.  Ace retreated back to Ilhoon’s pocket where it was safe”er”.

“This is ridiculous.”  Sohyun agreed with Ilhoon’s judgment as they pushed their way through crowds of people to find a good spot on the bridge.  It was packed and violent.  People were angry and excited.  The two teenagers became nervous, scared of the people becoming more reckless by the minute.

“You should stay close to me.” Ilhoon informed Sohyun who didn’t need to be told twice.  There was indeed an increase in rash behavior the last few weeks.  Losing your humanity...Sohyun thought of the thugs again.

Sohyun grabbed on to the rail of the bridge, finally a small space to look out toward the horizon.  Ilhoon squeezed himself into the small void and stood behind her, pressing himself against her as closely as he could.  Sohyun rolled her eyes.  “It is not that serious.”

“I know.”  He joked making it clear that it was all an excuse and Sohyun elbowed him in the ribs.

“I need to find someone.”  She left her post after telling Ilhoon to guard it.  She could sense the person she was looking for just a few paces away.  She passed by a few group of people and then finally came in front of a bunch of familiar faces.  Her friends, a few of her other classmates and Sungjae all gathered together on the bridge.  They cheered when they saw Sohyun.  One of her friends scolded her.

“Yah, where have you been? We didn’t think you’d make it.”
“What happened to your hair?  Why’d you cut it?”
"Yah, Sungjae oppa encounted a real monster! Can you believe it?"
“Sorry,” Sohyun apologize and laughed off the 21 questions game her friends attempted, “I came to say my goodbyes.”

Her friends began sobbing and suffocating her with hugs.  She brushed them off after a few moments and then she approached Sungjae.  She could hear some of her classmates lowering their voices, actually pleased that they could gossip at a time like this.  She took a deep breath while she gathered all her strength for her next choice of words.

“Sungjae oppa…”
“Hi, Sohyun.”
“KIM SUNGJAE!”
The outburst caused the group to fall silent and Sungjae looked at her confused, waited for her to explain.
“I love you.”
One of Sohyun’s friends began coughing.  Sungjae gazed at Sohyun surprised and taken aback.  He remained speechless while she finished her sudden declaration of love.
“I’ve loved you since the start of high school and I wanted to confess.” She continued. “So here it is.  Me confessing!”
Sunjae nodded nervously, not quite sure how to respond.  Sohyun brought her index finger to her lips.
“Don’t say anything.  This is already embarrassing as it is.  Have a nice life, Sungjae.”