o20

C H O S E N

Haeyoung was in the study room, re-arranging the books on the shelf.  He had slipped away from his family and quietly crept into the small library to have his own peace and relaxation.  The books were in disarray and out of order.  He switched them around so they were alphabetical.  There was a fireplace on the other side of the room, so he burned some wood in it, utilizing the light instead because the electricity was finally out.  Haeyoung didn’t hear Sohyun come in but he looked over his shoulder and saw her standing at the doorway.  She was leaning up against the entrance idly just watching him.  She had probably been standing there for some time without him noticing.  He grabbed one of the books he placed in the shelf and stood.

“Chunhyangga.” He paused and grinned to himself sheepishly.   “It was one of your favorite books.”
Sohyun nodded, not surprised that her older brother was familiar with her interests.   She made her way to the daybed sofa and patted to the seat next to her.  Haeyoung blinked and found it odd that his sister was the first to attempt a heart to heart.  He sat next to her and waited for her to speak first.  The only sounds made the next twenty seconds were the sounds of the fire cracking while it burned wood, then Sohyun began.

“We…aren’t that close anymore.”  She admitted truthfully.  It pained Haeyoung to nod his head in agreement but he couldn’t deny her statement.  She went on.  “Truth be told, after you got back from your military service, and joined the security force soon after, we never got a chance to rekindle our brother and sister relationship.”  Sohyun sighed and stood, remembering how her brother left for his mandatory two year military service when she was twelve years old.  She missed him during the first year it hurt too much thinking about it.  In order to cope with his absence she convinced herself to forget him altogether.  When he came back she had a hard time getting to know him or care as a teenager, but he also began working avidly.  Sohyun took the book Chunhyangga  from Haeyoung’s lap and placed it on the shelf.  Her hands began to shake and she felt a tightness in her chest.  “It was really annoying.  You were always so busy with work it didn’t seem like you cared anymore.”

“I’ve always cared.”  Haeyoung quickly protested.  He was well aware of the distance formed between himself and his sister.  Already introverted, it was hard for him to adjust to her as a teenager and though he tried, he never seemed to have the right words or timing.  “I worked really hard because I cared.  I’m sorry if I’ve seemed like I neglected you all this time.”

Sohyun shook her head and grinned.  “No, I understand.  I was just stubborn.  I knew that everything you did was selfless and for the family.  I was angrier with myself for being the one to neglect you.  You always tried, and though your attempts were really lame, at least you put in the effort.  But I had already felt that we were beyond being close siblings again, so I never gave in to you.  I always ignored your sentiments or blew you off.  For that, I’m sorry.”

Haeyoung told his sister that she needn’t be, and hugged her.  He knew she was forcing herself not to cry, so when he had her in his arms she was free to cry without him seeing.

“Out of everyone,” She said without controlling the hurt in her voice, “I’m going to miss you the most.”