o13

C H O S E N

 

tumblr_mglw45R0221qbckpfo5_250.png“Sohyun!”  Ilhoon barely saw the process of Sohyun falling—it happened too quickly, but he made his way over to the land she fallen into.  It was the size of a pool made of steel.  It was completely dark inside, only the flashlight aided Ilhoon’s sight.  He looked for Sohyun who was sitting at the bottom of the container.  She groaned in pain from the hard fall her bottom had taken.  “You ok?”

“The hell is this?”  She turned toward her surroundings and could barely see, but she had a familiar feeling about it.  “This…is the place…”  Her voice was low, and Ilhoon asked her to repeat herself.  He threw his hand over the opening, demanding her to reach for it.  Sohyun stayed sitting, observing the pit she’d fallen into.  She could see that the container was actually a containment cell that was recently just opened.  Whatever was in it was now out.  “This is where the laughter came from.”

“Sohyun, grab my hand.”  Ilhoon demanded impatiently.  Sohyun finally stood and reached for his.  Their fingers intertwined, barely capable of getting a good grip, and then Sohyun stopped completely.  “What’s wrong?”

“Do you hear that?”  She whispered.  They both kept still, trying to listen for the noise that sounded from a distance.  Ilhoon couldn’t hear anything.

“What is it?”  He asked anxiously.
“It’s…big and…running…”

She could hear the quick steps coming toward them.  She urged  Ilhoon to be quick about it.  She jumped high enough for him to get a tight grip on her forearm.  He struggled to pull with what little he had, and Sohyun, scared out of her wits, begged him to hurry.

Frustrated, he let out, “I’m trying.” But then he wasn’t able to try anymore.

“It’s here.”

Sohyun was let go completely as Ilhoon was swiftly kicked over by the legs of a large spider like creature. The only difference with this particular gigantic spider was that it had a face, and a voice.  It had laughed hysterically at the result of its kick causing Ilhoon to soar a few yards until he hit a tree.  Sohyun had fallen back to the bottom of the containment cell on the verge of going into shock because of the events unfolding in front of her.  She yelped at the sudden movement from the creature going toward Ilhoon.  It stopped and turned its interest to the cell.  Sohyun covered and limited her breathing.  She threw herself into the closest and darkest corner she could get to, at the same time the monster had jumped into the pit, attempting to sniff her out.  She could see its face.  A mouth, nose and eyes arranged like a human’s but something incredible inhumane about it.  Sohyun was more frightened this time because unlike the bird creature, this creature was a bit different.  There was too much coincidence surrounding the current situation and that god awful premonition she had earlier was coming to light.

“You…have her ring.”  It spoke in various voices at once.  It knew where she was, it just wanted to tease.  “She let you have it.”

Sohyun clasped her other hand against , trying to eliminate as much sound as possible.  It became an extremely difficult task when she was scared to the point where it could drive her insane.  The creature turned its back toward her, pretending to have found her elsewhere.  It continued talking.  “I was locked in here with her for years and years and years.  I tore her body into shreds many many many times. And still she waited for someone like you to come along, so you could possess the very thing that could have saved this world before it ended the first time.”

The teenage girl almost asked what did the creature mean by that but she only tightened her hands around more.  She turned toward the corner she was in and looked up at the opening.  She wasn’t able to reach or jump without making much noise.  She was trapped.

“Curious?”  It asked, as if reading her mind.  A smile came across its face.  “She chose you to be the savior. A young thing like you…funny.  It made me laugh until I died.”  It laughed its hysterical laughter that was frightening at best.  Sohyun surely needed to find a way to get out of there.

Can I fly my way out?

“Fly?”  The creature laughed again, startling Sohyun even more at its choice of words based on what she had thought.  “Someone like you…can do everything and anything.  However…”

Silence fell over.  Sohyun could see the creature stretching out its face from its body and then turning it to where it looked directly at her, like a person looking over their shoulder.

“You’re going to die now.”

A loud scream came from Sohyun and she bent down, her hands now cupping her ears.  She didn’t want to die seeing or hearing how it happened, and she anticipated the worse, already feeling defeated for where it had started, it would apparently end.
 

Lord, our farther god in heaven,

“Do you believe in Angels?”  Sohyun could see Ms. Heo asking her this question at the school running field.  “Do you believe in Angels?”

He has forsaken us and abandoned his children. 

“Angels are frightening things.”

we are all fated to burn in hell. 

“There are some good and some bad.  The good are the ones who still believe.”  Ms. Heo was smiling, and saying words she did not say in the original conversation she had with Sohyun.  “The good ones who still believe like you.”

Both our physical bodies and our spiritual for all eternity; we are doomed starting with Earth.

“The world really is ending.”  Ilhoon said with an exhausted tone.  He looked at Sohyun and made a joke asking if there was something on his face.  “You’re the only person I know whose nonchalant about dying.”

We cannot escape.

“No.”  Sohyun said standing, answering to no one.  The creature was only a few paces away.  It mocked her asking who she was talking to, but then it noticed the strange look in her eyes.  How they weren’t like they were just a few moments ago.  What were originally brown pupils were now just eyes filled with white, and then they began glowing.

“What are you doing?”  The creature demanded.  It felt itself having a hard time getting closer to Sohyun.  “You won’t win.  Your fate is like the rest.  You will all perish in hell!”  The hysterical laughter came for the last time as Sohyun spoke her last words to it.

“Not before you do.”  The creature broke off into pieces, which instantly became dust.  Sohyun stood while the echo of its laughter disappeared, and her eyes went back to normal.  She had no idea what had overcame her so suddenly, but she managed to protect herself and get rid of the creature before it could to her.  She still had the dilemma of being stuck in the pit of the containment cell, and she called Ilhoon for his help.

“Yah.  You can come out from hiding now, I got rid of the thing.” 

She waited a few moments and then she became overwhelmed with fear.  She hadn’t been able to see the complete impact of the blow Ilhoon had taken when he was kicked but she concluded that he was badly hurt.  “What to do?”  She panicked, trying to figure out a way to get herself out.  She jumped up several times, trying to get herself a boost to see if she could fly her way up.  She felt herself floating a bit and she managed to reach the ledge of the cell.  The rest she had to do on her own.  She had climbed the highest wall at school once, but it wasn’t an easy task.  She threw her leg to the top so that she had a three point contact with the ledge.  Barely.  After five minutes of struggling and self-motivating screaming, she got herself to regular ground level.  To her dismay, Ilhoon had been lying a few yards away the whole time from the result of his kick.  She ran up to him and dropped to her knees to assess the damage.  He was complete still with the exception of his chest rapidly heaving and dropping from his breathing.  He was drenched in his sweat and he could not turn his head toward Sohyun.

“Ilhoon…what’s wrong with you? Where does it hurt?”
“Everywhere.”  His voice was shaky and quiet.  He could barely get the words out. “My ribs…something…it’s hard to breathe.”

Sohyun couldn’t tell what he was talking about at first, but she gently tucked her fingers under him, tracing from the neck down.  When she got to his back area, she removed her fingers and they were covered in blood.

“You…”  She couldn’t take her eyes away from the blood on her fingers; she didn’t dare look at him knowing he was in that state because of her. “Ilhoon what do I do?  There seems to be a lot of blood.”  His ribs on the left side of his chest were broke, but the vital issue had been caused from hitting the tree, his back piercing into an inapt piece of bark, basically stabbing him.  “So much blood.”

“Try to…heal me.”

She began sobbing because everything she had done with her abilities up to then had happened by chance.  She couldn’t even get herself out the cell on flying ability correctly and she had no idea what caused her to heal the bird creature that day, or to what extent she could heal.

“What if I can’t?”  She cried.  “I don’t know, I don’t know.”

Ilhoon managed to bring up his arm and place it on Sohyun’s lap, and then he grabbed her hand.

“Try.”  He, too, was just as afraid as she was (BECAUSE HE WAS DYING) but gave her a brave smile with tears streamed down from his eyes.  “At least I get to hold your hand.”

 

The sobbing wouldn’t stop, and Sohyun held on tightly with both hands, bringing them and her head to her lap.  She didn’t know what else or how else to do it, so she began praying.  She prayed that she could save his life and that she could be forgiven for bringing such harm to him.  She prayed for peace of mind for both characters, and for weird to stop happening to them.  She prayed and cried for a period of time, what was probably ten minutes, and then she could feel the hand she was so desperately holding on to slip from under her and pet her head.  She looked up to see ilhoon sitting upright, a thankful smile planted on his face.


“You did it.”