o18 - part III (Answers)

C H O S E N

 

Eunji got out the car first and Sohyun copied.  She followed the older girl until she stopped and looked down at the ground.  Below their feet was metal.


Sohyun spoke softly, “This is…”

“The underground containment cell…what it looks like when it’s closed anyway.”  Eunji’s face was grim and her tone more serious.  She walked across the metal roof until she came to an end.  She opened a latch on the ground and pressed in a code.  The metal opening began to shift and made a noise.  She stood when it started opening.

Sohyun took a few steps back, afraid of what was going to be inside.  Eunji smiled and gave her a reassuring look.

“Don’t be afraid.  Take a look.”

Sohyun timidly walked over to the edge and slowly peaked over.  She looked into the pit of the containment cell where she could see someone lying on the ground, they seemed dead.  There were huge white and yellow wings sticking out of the person’s back and they were dirty.  Sohyun looked up at Eunji for answers.

“Is that an Angel?”
“Yes, Sohyun.  You are quite the clever girl.  But more importantly, you should know that, that Angel is me.”  Eunji nodded at whatever question Sohyun was going to ask next and she went on before the girl could get words out .  “That’s me dead or…dying.  I’m not sure, the process of my passing didn’t turn out as I thought it would.”

“But…your body…it wasn’t here last night when I fell in.  Is it because you’re here now?”

As if Sohyun had made a point, Eunji thought for a moment and looked confused.  “No, I’m good and dead.  I’m just a spirit now, like, not even a real Angel spirit but more like a ghost or a memory.  My physical body is…who knows.  I have no idea where I am or what I’m doing right now.  I’m probably alive.”  She did that thing where she laughed at her own joke again.  Sohyun tilted her head.

“Did Arachane kill you?  The spider?” She asked.

“Heavens no.”  Eunji retorted like it was an obvious answer.  “Arachane was a monster that was born from the darkness of my heart.  That’s where monsters come from.”

“Angels…”
“Correct.  I was dying because I was fighting the darkness.  I didn’t want Arachne to be formed because she was unlike any other monster.  Me being a descendent of Michael, the angel of nature, justice and power held a lot of intimidating strength so therefore, the monster would too.  That would not have been good for anyone, even if the world was already doomed.”

“But I…a monster was formed from me.  How is that so?”

“Because you’re an Angel, Sohyun.  I chose you to become one.”  The smile was back on her face and Eunji jumped into the containment cell.  Sohyun followed, dropping to the pit with a fall unlike Eunji who landed gracefully.

“I was locked in here for millenniums.” She spoke as if she was talking to herself, bitter at the facts she was stating.   “It drove me mad.  I could have saved this world…but she was too stupid—too afraid.”

“Who is she?”
“Not important.  It happened so we must get over that.  However, we mustn’t let it happen again.”  She turned to Sohyun and walked over to her until they were only a few inches away.  “You must do what I wasn’t capable of doing.”
Sohyun gulped, swallowing a mouthful of dryness. “And what would that be?”
“You will figure that out soon enough.  In the meantime, you have something that belongs to me.”

Eunji grabbed Sohyun’s forearm and brought her hand up.  The ring that caused her life chaos was on her forefinger and Sohyun had no idea how it had gotten there.  Eunji took it off.

“You won’t be needing this anymore.”
“How…why…”

Eunji sighed, the mass of questions being thrown at her seemed to have taken its toll and Sohyun worried but Eunji obliged.  “Before I was thrown into this eternal prison I knew this world would be destroyed. Most, if not all of the Angels were doing the will of God, and that was to get rid of mankind since God didn’t love man anymore.  There was nothing I could do and I believed I was the only one of my kind left.  The kind that still cared and wanted to help.”  She held on to the ring tightly in her grasp and looked up toward the opening.  “I cut my hair and turned it into a ring my last moments of “freedom”.  I dropped it on the ground and told the woman who put me in here that she would never find that ring, but the person who does will save this world.”  She glanced at Sohyun.  “And that’s you.”

Sohyun felt tightness in her chest and shook her head.  She had one more question, the question that seemed to trump all and even made her start crying.  “Why me?”

Eunji smiled again.  “Because I know you’ll do the right thing.”

Sohyun shrugged and sneered.  Just like that?  She gestured, even laughing at the thought.  Her life was forced to take in abilities all because of her decision making skills?  That made sense.

“So what now?” She chided, her face stained with tears.  “What’s next?  We have one day until the world “ends” again and I’m supposed to figure out how to stop it before it happens?  I hope you have a plan B because I don’t think picking me as a savior was the right choice.”

“Sohyun, in 20 seconds you’re about to wake up and when you wake, you will be a complete Angel and know what you have to do.  Know this: there is a war happening and you are in the middle of it.  We can do all that we can to stop it, but we cannot escape.  Goodbye, Sohyun.”

“Sohyun!”

She was being shaken by Ilhoon who was hovering over her in her bedroom; just where she had been after breakfast and decided to take a nap.  She had finally woke from her dream and fell back into reality.  Ilhoon was looking at her profoundly, a bit too intense with a hint of fear.

“What?”  She asked.

“Your…hair…”