o16 - part I (Hell on Earth)

C H O S E N

 

I’ve been to hell and prison.   A prison that was like hell.  A hell that was like prison.

There was smoke caused by a canister thrown in the middle of the road.  The street was cracked and buckled, no vehicle would or could drive on it, hardly manageable to walk.  The cars that were on the street were either tossed over or smashed.  The buildings on the side were in the same state. Toppled or toppling.  There were no people, no form of structure or civilization.  Only chaos and the sounds of monsters conducting it.

“What is this?”  Sohyun found herself in the middle of it all, the smoke dispersing where she stood.  She could see the black sky filled with gigantic bird like creatures, and monsters residing on the remaining buildings that had at least two stories to its build.  She had never seen so many creatures about, filling the spaces that were supposed to be occupied by human beings.  This was no longer a world that belonged to mankind.

A girl ran past her and then stopped.  She was wearing a torn leather jacket with a dirty black shirt and ripped black jeans.  But what startled Sohyun more about the girl was that she had a gas mask over her face.  The girl tilted her head, blatantly staring at Sohyun and then ran up to her.  She grabbed her arm tightly and pulled her into a narrow alley between two buildings where they could not be seen.

“Who are you?”  The girl asked.  She was taller and sounded older.  She had an authority about her that made Sohyun want to give her a good explanation…but she didn’t have one.  “Where did you come from?  How did you get here?”  She continued to ask questions Sohyun couldn’t explain. “What are you?”

Another thunderous roar sounded from a monster the size of a building.  It was close.  The girl instructed Sohyun on what they were to do.  They needed to leave fast.  Sohyun had not said a word since she first ended up…wherever she was now.  Her breathing was getting heavier and she wanted to speak but even if she had words then, they wouldn’t let out.  The girl had grabbed onto her arm forcefully once again, pulling her quickly about in the ruins of the city.  This is what the world looked when it ended.

“This way!”  The girl quickly stated, not giving Sohyun a chance to catch her breath.  As soon as they bounded behind one building, they took off the moment after.  The girl was very familiar with the situation.  Run or be caught.  She dragged Sohyun under a car after she did her baseball slide under.  Sohyun wanted to get away from both the city and the girl.  “Now I’m not going to say it again.” The girl was more intolerant this time and she even grabbed Sohyun by the nape of the neck.  “I will push you from under this car and have you exposed to those demons and they will eat you up.” Sohyun’s eyes widened.  “Just talk.”

Her breathing was heavier and more frantic but Sohyun was going to force a sound out if she had to.  This girl seemed more dangerous than the monsters.  Sohyun began to let out her name when she suddenly began to scream.  The car they were under was flipped over, exposing them in the middle of the street to a whole land of gigantic creatures.  The girl next to her started cursing and pulled out an automatic weapon Sohyun didn’t notice she had been carrying and the girl fired away.