Visiting Him

Because I Don't Know How To Love

            Day by day goes instantly, today is 24 December, Christmas eve. At 5 pm, I help my mother decorate the Christmas tree and of course there are pinkish accessories – my favourite colour. Be the only child, such a bore preparation and without my father that always busy in the office. Someone knock the door. “Min Jo, please help me open the door dear.” My mother asks. “Okay.” I open the door. “Oh, Jae Jin oppa! Why you come here?” I ask him in front the door. “Min Jo, ask him come in.” My mother says. “Alright, mum.”

            “Never mind aunty. I’m rushing.” Jae Jin looks inside my house. “Min Jo, do you want go along with me tomorrow?” He is asking me. “Where? Tomorrow is Christmas Day right?” I am asking him back. “Visit my friend’s house.” He winks. “Argh.. Don’t want. I don’t know them.” I say. “Are you sure you don’t want go with me to Hong Ki’s house?” He asks me again. I open up my eyes widely. “What? Hong Ki’s house? Oppa! I have change my mind, I want follow you.” I say in a cheerful voice.

            “When I mention his name, drastically you change your mind. Why? Is there anything that I don’t know?” He looks up my face. “Nothing, I just want look his house. You said to me he has a huge house right?” I claim. “Don’t make a weird excuse, Min Jo. I’ve know it.” He replies me, allegorically. “Ish!!!” I say and slap his left cheek gently. “Okay, I’ve to go now.” He runs out of the gate. Less from a minute, he is disappear from my view.

            We have our dinner-eve dinner actually. While the household are busy waiting for 12 midnight moment, I’m busy make a lovely yellowish handmade card. Jae Jin says to me that Hong Ki like handmade gifts, so I make this special for him. I write it with my blue gel pen carefully in my simple word art. I leave my phone number at the bottom of the card and hope he will call me soon. After finishing it at 1.00 am, I put my tiring body on the fluffy bed. Dreaming alone “Is this love?” Suddenly, I ask to myself. “I’m sure this is love.” I answer my own question in front of a huge mirror that glued on the wall. I touch and play the edge of my pillow and fell asleep-my bad habit.

            “Kring!!!” The clock bell wakes me up, straight away I reach my bluish towel and cleaning up myself in the bathroom. I feel very excited today. “I wear as usually a long white pant with a beige blouse. I take a look for the last time at my handmade card, it looks very beautiful to me but I don’t know for the other. I never make a card by my hand normally I will make it by a medium in my computer. “Tok! Tok! Tok! Min Jo, wakes up dear. Today is Christmas Day.” I heard my mother. “Omma! I’m ready now.” I say delightful.

“Wah! You’ve been never like this before-wake early in the morning.” My mother looks bizarre. She turns and pulls the unlock doorknob. “Why you wear these clothes? This is not suitable for you today?” My mother nags. “You’ll go with Jae Jin right?” She continues. She goes to her room, in front of mine and brings out two set of clothes, two long dresses exactly. “Here, I just bought these dress for you. Wear it now. Select which one would you wear first.” She passes me the dresses. One is green and one is brown and then she goes out.

            “Better I choose the green one.” I look myself in front of the mirror. I go downstairs to get breakfast. “Mmm… Apple pie. Cake too…” I say. “Oh! My only daughter. There is something wrong with you. Anyway, let have breakfast first. We take it. “Omma! You look so beautiful today.” I praise her. “Only today, all this while not?” She opens her eyes widely. “You’re beautiful always.” My father says and pulls her left hand.

            “Appa, you said there is something wrong with me? What is it?” I begin asking again. “Nothing… But I think you’ll be much prettier when you make up.” He grins. “Right. Min Jo let’s go to my room now.” My mother says. I don’t know why but I just follow her. I seat on her bed. “Min Jo, you’re a teenager now. You must take care you personality. Let me make up you today.” She takes out her make up set. “But I don’t like it.” I say then. “Just keep quiet.” She tells me.

            We walk to the front of our house, walking in the direction of Jae Jin house. Jae Jin’s mother is my mother’s unni so every year we will visit them first, as a sign of respect the older. I bring along four prizes – winter coat for Jae Kyung, new shoes for Jae Jin, a painting for my aunt and a reference book for uncle. “How long I’ve to wait to go Hong Ki’s house” I try to be patient. They give me a present, the box is big but I don’t want open it up now.”

            “Min Jo, let’s go now!” Jae Jin pulls my hand. “Oppa! It’s hurt.” I look at my wrist. “Oh sorry.” We get in a cab. Jae Jin whispers to the driver, I can’t hear what he says. After a while, the cab stop in front of a huge classic-looked house, most look like a villa. “Whose house is this oppa?” I ask bizarrely. “Your idol.” He leaves me at the house gate. “Hey! Wait for me.” I run after him.

            We reach the main door, there are many people inside, he makes an open house and I see Jong Hoon and Min Hwan are there too. “Where is Hong Ki? I want give this present to him.” Jae Jin mumbles alone. Jae Jin leaves me alone again, he goes towards his friends I guess. I sit on a chair, still hold the card and waiting for the best time to give Hong Ki. I look up, on the second floor, there is a boy in a yellow clothes is smiling now. “He is Hong Ki. I never see his beautiful smile before because he used to be cold with me. But why?” I bend my body.

            “Hi!” Someone greets me and I feel shock. “Oh, hi Hong Ki. Merry Christmas.” I bow to be polite. I am thinking alone. “Hmm…you come with Jae Jin right?” He asks me. “Oh ya, of course.” I say again, nervously. Jae Jin walks toward us, alone. “Hi Hong Ki! Here your present.” He gives a present bow that wrap by brown wrapper. “I feel thirsty. Wait here for me I’ll get some drinks for you both too.” Jae Jin runs to the table at the edge of the house.

            “Hong Ki, I’ve a present for you. Take it okay.” I smile to bracing up. “Oh, thanks.” He smiles again. His smiles make me melt as an ice cube has been hit by a part of sunshine. “Min Jo, here a gift from me.” He puts a small box in my palm. I look his face but he shifts his head to the other side. “Thank you.” I bow again. Jae Jin comes again with two glasses of drinks. I hide the gift in my bag. “You both standing like statues, no talking, no greeting just be cold like the weather outside.” He is nagging about us. “Min Jo-ah, open your coat and hang it there. There’s nobody wear winter coat in this house except you.” He continues to nag.

            I open my coat and walk slowly to hang it over there. “Wah! Your green dress looks nice.” Jong Hoon says. “Ha ha ha, my mind recall to a pair of dancers that night.” Min Hwan intercepts and then gives out loud laugh. Hong Ki and I look each other, our cheeks blushed. My phone produces a beep sound, someone calls me up. “Hello, omma! What’s up?” I ask. “Oh! Your classmates call me just now. They said they want make a visit at our house. Come home now dear.” She explains. “Okay.” I say without protest.“Oppa, I’ve to go back now.” I whisper at Jae Jin’s left ear. “Okay.”

            “Hong Ki, we’ve to go back now. We want meet your parents first. Where are they?” Jae Jin asks. My eyes stare around. “Oh they are there.” He shows his index finger to a married couple with a little girl that wear in white. Straight away we go to Hong Ki’s parents, I bet the little girl is his sister, she is extremely cute. “Uncle, aunty, we are Hong Ki’s friends, we want go back now. Thank you for inviting us.” All the things Jae Jin has said and I just bow down.

            We both go out, the three boys including Hong Ki follows we up to the gate. “Why I feel so cold? This feel make me like want to freeze out.” I think. Hong Ki goes inside again, I think he will not go out again but I am wrong at all. “Hey! Wear this.” He touches my shoulder from back lightly. “Oh thank you again.” I say, polite. “Again???” Jae Jin looks at me weirdly. “Nothing..” I lie on him for the uncounted times. Hong Ki helps me wear the coat but he does not give out his sweet smile again. I feel my world is going to be dark now without his smile. “Wah! Our prince helps his princess wear the winter coat. He doesn’t want his princess be an ice. So romantic this life now.” Min Hwan tries to play fun on us. I get blushed once more and I just give a 90 degrees bow for this time.

            After that, I just run out from the house gate without a word, leaving Jae Jin alone there. “I must rush before they tease me again.” I think alone. I stop my steps, standing under a shady tree waiting for my loveliest oppa. I look at him with my hawk-liked eyes, very sharp. At this moment, he will understand what I mean. He runs after me. “Min Jo-ah, please slow down.” He is gasping.