The Luckiest Girl

Because I Don't Know How To Love

            It is a peace cold Sunday morning. The birds chirps make me wake up, I rub my sleepy eyes, straight away get up from my bed and go to the bathroom cleaning myself. “Ah, why the weather is so cold today? Colder than usually.” I talk alone while brush my teeth in front of a mini mirror. I wear a long sleeve T-shirt with a track bottom and get my winter coat along. Go to the kitchen take a slight breakfast, cereal with milk and then go out.

            All the road look white, full of snow and I think I am in the milky lake. I walk and walk and about a couple of minute after that, I am standing in front of a white big house. I knock the door “Anybody home?” I knock the door again. “Oh! Min Jo-ah, please come in.” “Ah Jae Jin oppa, are you forgot about it?” I say again with my serious face. I look funny when I have a serious face because every time I look happy.

            “Min Jo-ah, don’t angry at me please. I’m not forgotten about that, just I’m not taking a bath yet.” Jae Jin chuckles. “Ish… Smelly!!!” I open my shoes and go inside while Jae Jin goes upstairs for taking bath. “Hey! Jae Jin, have you breakfast?” I bellow to him. “Oh! Not yet. Why?” He asks me back.  “Nothing.” I answer it and go to the kitchen, toast some bread for him. I am not a diligent girl actually, just don’t want to get late or we will do not get seat.

            Jae Jin goes downstairs “Ahh! Where are you Min Jo?” “I’m here.” I am waving my hand to him. “Oh there.” He comes to me. “Here, your breakfast.” I give him the bread that I just toast for him and a glass of milk. “This makes me love you.” He winks to me. “Enough, Jae Jin. Take your breakfast now. I don’t want to get late like the past years.” I say without stop. “Alright, Miss Kim Min Jo.” He laughs.

            We walk to the bus stop together. After about a quarter of an hour the bus comes. All the passengers look happy especially the children. I still remember when I and Jae Jin both children, our age around six to nine we will go for winter outing with our family together but it was about nine or ten years ago. It is different now, I’ll go anywhere with my cousin, Jae Jin that I have treat like my own brother. I’ve no other siblings, I’m the only child.

            Talking about Jae Jin, he cares too much about me, he likes to make jokes and he always helps me in study. He is a year older than me means he is 17 years old. He talks too much and sometime I will get bored. 45 minutes later, we reach to the place that almost every year we go for. “Min Jo-ah, we have arrive you don’t want go for it or we will not get seat.” He copies back my sentence. “Ya, ya.” I say excitedly.

            “Welcome to ice skating tournament with the theme of this year WOW. Announcement to all spectators! Normally, the event will start early but this time may different because we will search for the lucky spectators that can guess the actual sentence of abbreviation WOW in the end of this event.” The two emcees say according to their turn, lady and then man. “WOW, what is the WOW meaning, Min Jo?” asks Jae Jin to me. “I don’t know.” I answer it simple.

            Maybe it is not fair if I tell Jae Jin what I am thinking now “WOW is Winner of Winter.” I guess it personally. We get two seat and we get the full view of the tournament too for the first time. This tournament is an annual international event in Korea. As we are sitting on our own seat, a young tall lady comes to me and says “You’re the last lucky spectator today. I hope you’ll get the best answer and wait until this event end. Give your full name and your age okay, so that we can call you then.” Hesitantly, I say “My name is Kim Min Jo and I’m 17 years old.” They thank me “Thank you, Min Jo. Try your best later.” “Oh! Ya.”

            “Woah!! Min Jo, you’re in the list of lucky. Good luck okay.” “Okay.” I give him a bitter smile. The tournament has begun with the first participant from Japan. After about ten participants have pass, I feel very cold like in the freezer. “Jae Jinnie, I’m very cold now.” I hold his hand. “Yeah… better you get a hot drink now before you get flu.” Jae Jin hugs me for a while. “Jae Jin oppa, I will get hot drinks now.

            I go to the stalls alone but many children there. I buy two hot chocolates, one for me and one for Jae Jin. After done buying the hot drinks, I take a stroll at the park nearby. As I sip my hot chocolate while taking a peek around the park, I have bumped into a guy. He is in hurry, my drink spill out on my coat and now just Jae Jin’s drink left. “He helps me to get up and just looks and says “sorry” to me. At first, I want scold him but I don’t know, why my heart beats faster than usually.

            He looks very adorable but maybe the other people will say he is cocky person. We look each other’s eyes and I feel like there is something in his eyes. He runs away and I don’t see him again. I go back to my place “Min Jo, why are you taking a long time to buy the drink?” Jae Jin asks me. “I take a stroll just now.” I smirk lightly and pass him the hot chocolate that has been warm.

“Why the drink is only one? Where are yours?” Jae Jin asks again. “Oh! Mine is spill out when I bumped into a guy in the park.” I take a simple talk. “Okay, we share this.” Jae Jin shows me the drink. Maybe someone who doesn’t know us will say we are a lover couple but actually we are only cousin.

            “Jae Jin oppa, let’s go back now, I’m hungry this is out of lunch time now.” I say sadly. “Min Jo my lovely cousin, are you forgot you are one of the lucky spectators today?” Jae Jin says to me with a low voice. “Yeah… I forgot about it. Thank you for tell about that to me.”

            “Ehem! Ehem!” The man emcee fixes his voice and then make the announcement and mention the name of lucky people one by one “And the last Kim Min Jo. Give a clap for them.” “Welcome to all lucky people. Let’s get on the stage now. All of you will be given a piece of paper and you will write your own answer there.” The lady continues while passes the paper to all. There are 20 of us.

            I write on the paper ‘Winner of Winter’ and wishing I’m the luckiest today. I hope my dream will be reality. I take a look at our seat and Jae Jin is waving his hand to me now. “Oh no! What he do?” I close my eyes and then turn back. “Min Jo, what are you doing?” The friendly lady puts her warm palm on my right shoulder. “Nothing, there some dust in my eyes.” I try to make an excuse. “Ha ha ha…” The young lady laugh at me “Are you trying to lie me? I know it. You shy right?” “Yes” I nod slowly.

            After about five minutes they are having a discussion, the man with the name Mr Park on his nametag goes in front of the microphone back. “We already have the luckiest spectators today. She is the youngest here.” I turn around looking for the youngest here and suddenly Mr Park calls my name “Kim Min Jo.”

            “Kim Min Jo.” He repeats again. “Ha? What?” I surprise. “You’re the luckiest today…” “Oh! Thank you.” The friendly lady gives me a present box and I wonder what is inside of this box. We go back. I bump my body and fall asleep on my pinkish bed.