Sungmin's Birthday Special

SunSun Collection fics
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sungmin’s Birthday Special

Sunny’s POV

Few hours from now, it will be Christmas Day. I was left alone here at the dorm because the girls went to Japan for a special appearance. Taeyeon wanted to stay here with me so that she can look after me because I’m sick but I told her I’ll be fine. I guess I’ll be alone tonight for Christmas Eve. Stupid flu, why must you infect me at this moment?

I can imagine the people outside. All family members gather around a table, sharing meals and telling stories to each other. I have never felt this lonely before. Being a famous idol has its price, I guess.

After a few hours or so, I decided to watch a movie rather than sulking about my sorry life. I was hooked up on watching the movie, The Thieves, when I heard a series of knocks on the door. I sighed, who dared disturb me in my serene solitude? Whoever this was, he or she should have gone here for something very important. I marched groggily towards the door. Without looking at the peephole, I opened the door. To my surprise, it was Sungmin-oppa.

“Omo! Oppa, what are you doing here?” I asked surprised.

“I heard that you were sick and the girls are away so I decided to keep you company even just for a while.” Aigoo, this man has multi-personalities. He can be as childish as an elementary kid, as feminine as Tiffany is, and can be many silly things but at the end of the day, he can be as mature as a father, as caring as a boyfriend, as generous as......what? Did I just say boyfriend? I seriously am sick. How can he be my boyfriend? He only sees me as a mere dongsaeng.

He must’ve seen how disturbed I was at the moment because he asked if something was wrong. I shook my head and tried to compose myself. “Why don’t we came in, oppa?”

“I thought you’d never ask.” He retorted back, being childish again. We were comfortably seated on the couch when he decided to start a conversation.

“Have you eaten already, Soonkyu?” He asked while taking something out from the lunch box he brought. I’m guessing it’s food.

“Not really.”

“Well that’s good to hear because I made these for you. I’ll just have to prepare this on the kitchen.”

“Oppa, I’ll do it. I had caused you so much trouble already.” I stood up but he pushed me to sit back.

“It’s alright. I volunteered to look after you, right? I think that would be enough to compensate the trouble.” What can I do? Plus, honestly, my legs are far too weak for me to able to reach the kitchen. I sighed in defeat, causing him to smile.

 

Sungmin’s POV

My poor bunny. She must’ve overworked herself yesterday. I’m with Taeyeon when she said she’ll burn down the MBC Building if they cut or edit anything out. They made Sunny record the show for almost a day and they’ll just cut a part of what she worked hard for? You just try, MBC. You just try! It wasn’t enough; you partnered her with Sehun on a wedding-like concept performance for Romantic Fantasy! Who was the one who said that Sunny is the one he wants to be his wife? I did! MBC, at least, let us be together at We Got Married. You owe me a lot now. I’m keeping an eye on you. On the brighter side, if Sunny wasn’t sick this moment, she would’ve been in Japan and I wouldn’t be able to see her. I know I’m being selfish by that but at least I can have the chance to take care of her.

I returned to the couch with a bowl of black bean soup. I know she loves this. She seemed too concentrated on watching that she didn’t notice my presence. I looked at her, her eyes were lazy and her face was pale. If only I can make her feel better in an instant. I cleared my throat to call her attention. As soon as she saw the black bean soup, her face lit up.

“Whoa. You seriously are the best.” She exclaimed. I couldn’t help but to chuckle at her reaction. “Owww.” She hissed in pain.

“Yah, be careful. That’s still hot.”

“I’m sorry, oppa. It’s just that I’m too excited to eat this. I’ve never eaten black bean soup in a long time now.” She must’ve been so busy.

“For real? Well, be thankful I cooked it for you.” I grinned.

“I am, oppa. Thank you so much.” She smiled even with her eyes. Why do you always do that to me, Sunny? One smile from you and everything seems right. That’s when an idea struck me. I took her chopstick from her hand and rolled the noodles in. I blew the noodles and told her to say “Aaaaaaahh”.

“Oppa, I can eat on my own.” She refused.

“Say ‘ah’.” I told her, more authoritative now. Although hesitant, she still complied. I watch her saviour the taste. “How was it?”

“Waaaaa. It’s delicious, oppa. You should eat, too.” She took the chopstick back and also rolled noodles for me. She was about to feed me but knowing that she’s a bit weak, I assisted her hand. I felt the softness of her cold yet delicate hands. I didn’t want to let go of it just yet but she did. “How was it?” She said.

“Yah, I’ve tasted this already. You should eat it all by yourself. You got thinner than the last time I saw you.” The last time I saw her was at Bangkok. SME held an SMTown concert there. I was surprised when I saw her though. Her hair was violet. Talk about your mind being blown straight ahead. But now, I feel happy she dyed it in my favourite color. It makes me love her even more.

“Alright, ahjussi. Stop nagging, then.” She talked back. I watched her intently eating the soup noodle while watching the movie. She must’ve caught me staring at her because she took a quick glance on the corner of her eyes.  “What?”

I blinked for many times before coming up with a lame answer. “So are you going to spend the day tomorrow alone?” Obviously. She can’t go home to her family because it’s too far away.

“I’m afraid so, oppa.” She sighed.

“Well, if you’re not that sick tomorrow, we can go to church together.”

“Are you serious? With the color of my hair now, I think it would be more difficult to hang out.”

“Don’t you trust me?” I was hoping that she would agree with me. It will seem like we are going to have a date.

“Alright then. It’s not like we’re going on a date tomorrow, anyway.” She said. Ouch, that one hurt! Sunny, I wanted it to be a date. But I didn’t tell her that part. I forced myself to smile and said, “Why? Will you agree if I said it will be a date?”

She laughed like it was the funniest joke ever been made, “Oppa, when did you become so funny?”

Since when is asking someone out on a date that funny? Sunny, you know what? You’re really witty and smart, no doubt about that. But sometimes, no, a lot of times actually, you can be too dense, clueless and a bit too innocent.

Have you not noticed that almost 4 years ago? When they asked me what my ideal woman was, I answered 158 cm, full of aegyo and mother-like. How could you not know it was you? Okay, I’ll let that past because maybe you thought that I know what your real height is (155 cm). So I rephrased that part on Kiss The radio. I said a girl who is 155-160 cm tall. I even stuck to that range because your profile in our company said you are actually 160 cm. Even you real height makes me crazy. I even designed my social networking site account background with a cartoon of me saying “I love you” to a girl with a bunny headband. I dress up as a bunny, I imitate you whenever we sing Gee and don’t get me started with that dating scandal we had. Mind you, I never denied anything about that. What I said was “We became close only after doing a radio programme”. How was that denying the rumor? But despite all of that, I was happy when you mentioned my name on your credits on your “OH!” album. You should definitely meet up again.

After she was done with the noodle soup, we talked and talked like how we used to when we were still DJ-ing Chunji Radio. I saw a yawn escape from so I decided it was time for her to get some rest. “Go get some sleep now.”

I tucked her to bed. “Jaljja, Soonkyu.”

“Oppa, it’s Sunny. Good night, too.” She mumbled sleepily. I turned the knob when she called out. “Oppa!” I turned around, happy that she might be saying something like.....a good news. Well, for me, at least.

“Lock the door when you leave.”

 

 

The next day......

Sunny’s POV

I woke up from a good sleep feeling all better now. It’s Christmas time!!!

Then I remembered, I’m meeting Sungmin-oppa today. What do I do? I still don’t have any present for him. I glanced at my phone. 6:07 AM. Thank God, I was up early today. I still have time to prepare something. Think, Sunny, think. Right!  I could just bake a fruitcake for him. Haha. I’m sure he’ll understand my situation.

I was done baking and was dressed up already. I glanced at my own reflection at the mirror and decided I looked decent enough. The mass will start at exactly 9 AM. It was already 8:32. As if on cue, there was a knock on the door. I took my bag and headed straight to the door.

“Feeling all better now?” He asked with a hint of fret on his voice.

“Yeah. Never been better.” I answered him smiling.

“Let’s get going now. We’ll be late for the mass.”

We made our way into his car. He opened the door for me and buckled my seatbelt. He smells so.....y masculine-y early in the morning.

“Uh, oppa. This is my gift to you, sorry I haven’t prepared anything.” I said, giving the fruitcake. He diverted his gaze from the road to me.

“Really? You baked this? You shouldn’t have bothered. But thank you anyway.” He smiled.

“I promise, I’ll give you a better gift next year.” I said.

“You mean, you won’t give me a present on my birthday?” He said, faking a pout. I was taken aback. How insensitive of me to forget. He must’ve noticed that I didn’t remember his birthday will be on the first of January. “Ohhhhh. I was kidding. I thought you knew.” He said, it was obvious that he was upset. I felt so ashamed. What kind of a person am I? He took care of me last night I was sick. That was very considerate of him, and how do I repay him back? Forget his birthday? I know it was such a petty problem but, at least I had to do something to reciprocate his kindness.

“I’m sorry, oppa. It’s not that I forgot, it’s just that......I did not remember.”Say whaaaaaaaat? I face-palmed myself. Now, what? I gave up on coming up with a lame excuse. “I’m so sorry.” I felt so guilty.

“Hey, no big deal.” He said comforting me. But truthfully, that made me guiltier. I’m the one at fault here and now, he’s patting my shoulder to assure me that it’s just fine. Way to go, Soonkyu!

Awkwardness began to form which was odd. Whenever we’re together, even just the two of us alone, there would be no dead-air. He drove in silence and I only looked at the window.

We soon got to the church. Luckily for us, but sadly, only ahjummas and ahjussis were present at that time. What a sad reality, considering it was Christmas, and young ones wouldn’t even go to church. Lucky because it would mean few will only recognize us.

Rather than feeling guilty, I tried to concentrate on the mass

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter