Chapter 9: Change

Unbreakable

 

A/N: Not proof read, im sorry <3
 
a·lone  
/əˈlōn/
Adjective
Having no one else present; on one's own.
Without others' help or participation; single-handed.
 
------------
 
The bond between an owner and his pet was something unbreakable, only death had the power of drawing the two away from each other and that wasn't something that would happen in the foreseeable future. It was the unconditional love that he was looking for, that no human being could ever offer him.
Some people were crazy cat ladies, well he was just one guy with a little monkey.
 
Said primate was currently slung around his neck, pulling the most ridiculous of expressions as he stared at him, little mouth formed into a perfect circle of confusion at the sad look filling Hae's face.
 
He couldn't even recall at what point he stopped frowning and started beaming at his pet, but ruffling his fur had him smiling to himself within minutes. "Good boy Hyukkie." He murmured, face breaking out into an infectious smile, one in which had the monkey scrunching his nose up, displaying his little teeth in an attempt at a response.
 
-----------
 
"What do you want to do today hmm?" Donghae asked, not even bothering to roll over when persistent fingers started prodding him in the eyes, trying to prise them open like a child as the small monkey hummed in complaint at Donghae oversleeping.
 
This had been going on for weeks now, Donghae busying himself with Hyukjae and refusing to open his laptop to do work because he knew inevitably what he would begin to look at again.
 
Sunny had moved on quickly, she'd got married and moved on in under a year and part of him thought that maybe.... maybe she'd been seeing someone else long before she could bare to leave Donghae.
 
He'd only have another downfall a few days ago, although his memory was blurred with what exactly had happened, he'd woken up with his back aching from where he'd hit the floor, confusion rolling over him in waves as his eyes tried to make out something distinguishable, having trouble drawing in breath, not only because of the epilepsy having just struck him hard, but because of a certain pet sitting loyally on his chest, waiting for him to become conscious again.
 
He knew this wasn't safe, to live alone, something was nagging at him in the back of his mind that he should call Kyuhyun, apolagise for not being able to return the feelings and just beg him to do anything, something to fix the current mess of his life at the moment.
 
But instead he  acted like the Hyung he should be and left his problems to himself, because he wasn't alone, he had Hyukjae.
 
Wracking his brains for somewhere he could possibly take Hyukjae was growing difficult, he'd already took him to the park twice in the past week, and he could see the monkey was growing restless with being stuck inside. Donghae knew that things would get worse again, Hyukjae was still young and his attention span would have him destroying things if he didn't occupy him.
 
So in the end he just settled for being tugged along by him as they set off for the park.
 
--------
 
Considering it was early in the morning, and most normal, sane people were already at work, they had the park to themselves, Donghae letting Hyukjae spring through the overgrown grass as he bounded on ahead of him. Hae's eyes had stopped scanning around him by now, he was use to the familiar surroundings and he knew that no one turned up at this time. 
 
Hyukjae never strayed far from him, and so he let him go where he pleased, watching him head in the direction of the playground and Donghae couldn't help but chuckle to himself.
 
The soft, rare tinkling of Donghae's voice caught the capuchin's attention and soft brown eyes blinked over in his owners direction, giving him a fond look that almost, just almost looked satisfied at being able to hear him laugh again. 
 
Things were perfect. The weather was getting warmer and Donghae's mood was light enough that he didn't feel like his loneliness was beggining to grow into a burden anymore.
 
He should have expected though, that such a long period of happiness was soon to be tainted, as a large black dog bounded out of nowhere. Unthinkingly Donghae made a lunge for it, his swift actions causing Hyukjae to squeak and back up behind his legs. 
 
Looping his fingers under the collar he frowned, the old dog writhing in his grip and trying to twist around to at his hands.
Stupid. He thought, comparing the dog to his own pet.
 
Written on the dogs tag was what he presumed an owners name, someone called Lee Sungmin who was currently choosing not to be present and letting his dog run wild.
 
A few minutes when by until a rosy cheeked man came running up the hill, cheeks puffed out cutely as he stared at his dog. 
 
"KANGIN!" he shouted at him, scolding his dog as he took him from Donghae grip. Bowing to him in apology. "Mianhae." He murmured, all wide eyes and apologetic and Donghae only chuckled.
 
It was an odd noise that had the other guy staring at him strangely, reflecting Donghae's stare. He hadn't spoken to another human being in a while and so he could only give him a toothy smile before he shoved his hands back in his pockets unsociably, hunching his shoulders to turn and walk away. 
 
"WOAH OMG WHAT IS THAT!" the other guy exclaimed loudly and Donghae flinched.
 
"Are you walking a cat? Is that... no way." He suppressed a grumble as he felt the other guy following after him, and upon feeling the constant tug of Hyukjae's grip on his pant leg loosen he spun around, eyes wide at the other guy crouched down in the grass, distacted by trying to coax the little monkey towards him, his eyes ridiculously wide with amazement.
 
"Don't-" Donghae warned, squeezing his eyes shut and feeling himself sway when what he was about to say came true, Sungmin's grip on his over sized dog slipping and the large Collie dog pounced straight in Hyukjae's direction. 
 
The small monkey squealed, and nature set in, springing off with the dog in desperate persuite. 
 
"HYUKJAE!"
 
"KANGIN!"
 
Both men shot after them, and although Donghae could run considerably faster, it took moments of liethly being right on their trail for panic to set in, and he could feel the signature fatigue and dizzyness setting in and he skidded to a stop, doubling over and setting his hands on his knees.
 
"You okay?" Sungmin questioned, stopping stupidly beside him.
 
"GO!" Donghae growled, shooting the stupid man a death glare before he out.
 
------------
 
Donghae woke up, into a space coated in white and he wondered whether he'd hit his head one time too many this time. He hadn't been in a hospital since he was a child, and so this was an unfamiliar surrounding to him. "Hyukjae?" He murmured.
 
"No." Kyuhyun answered leaning over him and sighed when he saw Hae's eyes flicker away.
 
"Hae." Kyuhyun murmured, blocking some of the light out as he peered down at him. His hair coloured had changed, Donghae noted, and he felt guilty at how long he had been avoiding his closest friend.
 
Letting out a shuddering breath his eyes flickered around the room. He was here. Hyukjae was not. No one knew he still had Hyukjae and so as far as he was concerned... Hyukjae was lost. 
 
A twinge of guilt and remorse struck him in his chest, he hated not being in control not knowing exactly where Hyukjae was at the moment, his mind throwing countless situations of what could have ended up happening to his pet and pain twinged in the corner of his eyes.
 
Kyuhyun stayed with him for a while but he drew no conversation from Donghae after that. 
 
He left after an hour, sliding out the door and grinning at a particularly cute man currently slipping into the room to replace him. 
 
"You know him?" He voiced upon seeing Sungmin enter the room and the guys cheeks went a little red at Donghae speaking to him.
 
"Yes... me and Kyuhyunnie work together." 
 
Kyuhyunnie eh?
 
Although the soft features of this guy calmed Donghae somewhat, his words filled him with a kind of dread that had him curling in on himself and burying his face roughly in the heels of his hands. 
 
"They doctors said you should probably rest at home for a few days." He informed him. 
 
Donghae's eyes narrowed, lifting up to lock on Sungmin's. The older guy could tell what he was really asking and he just dipped his head until his hair covered his eyes.
 
"I'm sorry Donghae-sshi i couldn't catch him..." He murmured, biting his lip and hurrying out the room.
 
-------
 
Donghae was restless that night, and although he hadn't been able to get any rest because of the disconcerting beeping that just seemed to fill the hospital air, laying at home in his own bed was painful, when all he really wanted to be doing was to be back out on the streets and searching for Hyukjae.
 
Driven by the very thought of how terrified Hyukjae would be out there on his own he'd walked for hours, desperately calling out his name even though he knew he wouldn't be given an answer.
 
Sungmin had offered to help him find him again but Donghae turned him down. It was already a hopeless cause and honestly Donghae wasn't quite ready to interact with anyone.
 
He had no idea how to find a little monkey in a massive city and he'd eventually headed home after hours of walking aimlessly in search of his pet. Part of him wished he could contact Taemin to see if he had any ideas on how to get him back.
 
Unable to sleep Donghae's mind was on nothing else, his brain handing him countless situations of things that could have happened to Hyukjae. The fact that he was out there, somewhere, had him feeling useless for just lying there doing nothing about it. 
 
Sighing to himself, rolling over and curling his arms around the spare pillow, his back greeted with a cold gust of wind from the open window. He hadn't been able to have the windows open in years in case Hyukjae got out, and now that he had Donghae broke that trend, the cold gusts punishingly sneaking into the room and keeping him awake.
 
His mind recalled back to the day he brought Hyukjae home, the desperate niggling feeling in the back of his mind that he'd done the wrong thing and now he completely regretted every letting that thought enter the back of his mind. Hyukjae was sweet, a better pet than any dog any of his friends had had during his childhood. Many people had disagreed with him but he'd known Hyukjae for twenty years, despite there being a large period of time that he hadn't visited the zoo, there had been a bond present since the moment both a six year old Donghae and a newborn Hyukjae had set eyes on each other.
 
Without his pet Donghae was lost, Hyukjae had always been a part of his existence, co-existing alongside friends and family. Even when he lost them it wasn't half as bad because he'd had a constant normality in his life and now, Hyukjae was gone.
 
Hyukjae was gone.
 
Hyukjae.
 
------------
 
Rolling over Donghae heaved a sigh, rubbing at the goosebumps on his arms without bringing himself to open his eyes. The cold had most definitely crept in during the night and he was left feeling cold, with a heavy weight on his chest that he couldn't pin point until everything came crashing down on him. Hyukjae was gone, Sunny was long gone, Kyuhyun didn't want to be just friends. 
 
Despite himself his hand flung out to the opposite pillow, fingers expecting to curl around nothing but instead his hand hit something solid, and for a moment he wondered whether it was all some extended dream, he was back at home, his father was still alive and he was in the single bed that he'd had as a child, his hand simply hitting the wall.
 
But walls certainly didn't whimper when you hit them.
 
Sitting bolt upright his head spun, vision blurred with sleep for a moment before his eyes widened and he had to stifle a disconcerted squeak of surprise.
Sungmin? How did Sungmin get in here....
 
Sungmin was the only person he was aquanted with who had bleach blonde hair but he had next to no reason to currently be sleeping in Donghae's arms.
In Donghae's bed.
 
Maybe he would have preferred it to be sungmin, at least then he wouldn't have let out an inaudible scream of shock when the guy rolled his bare shoulders in his sleep, rolling over to meet Donghae's startled gaze.
 
There was a strange guy in his bed. And as far as he could tell, he wasn't wearing anything at all.
 
His own brown eyes grew wide beneath his overgrown blonde hair, gaping back at Donghae as the other guy continue to try and muffle his scream of surprise.
 
 
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
A/N: If you're still reading this i'd like to thank you!
I never intended to make this fic this long
Scared that some people won't like this change.
You can probably see where its going >:D
But it was my intention from the start it just took me longer than i expected to write it.
And i've felt deprived of Blonde Ming for too long which is why i made him blonde in this fic.
He's not the only blonde though... :DD
 
Thank you for reading guys, COMMENTS are appreciated.
-feels that no one reads this-
Edit: Omo i just found this and its so fitting. Hyuk riding Kangin... :')