Chapter 2: Normality

Unbreakable

 

"Hyuk!" He complained in exasperated disbelieve, having jogged up the stairs, way too out of breath being someone that sat on his computer all day,  to something he had already suspected. 
 
Watching the monkey squat down submissively amongst the mess of broken vase and soil, parts of his fur that were genetically meant to be lighter, were now considerably close to being the same shade of brown as the rest of his fur coated in a thick layer of mud clear evidence of his misbehavour.
 Chattering to him quietly, already offering an apolagy he cast his big dark eyes up to him wide with sincerity, understandably upset with himself. The small monkey tried to fix it by  offering his palm out to him, upturned, a gesture of submissive apolagy. 
The outside world was always a curiosity to the juvenile monkey, and it just so happened that the vase Hae had only just replaced had now been conviniently knocked off the window cill just like the last.
 
Watching the monkey raise both eyebrows at him repeatedly, something he did in serious submission towards the man standing over him he was soon unable to scold him for long though he broke out into a smile, kneeing down next to him and brushing some of the dirt away from his eyes, picking him up and holding him at arms length, uttering such words that despite the lack of communication between them he seemed to understand perfectly. 
"Bath time." He announced, wisking the monkey towards the direction of the bathroom. 
 
Rolling his bottom lip in protest, fingers reaching out to try and grip the door frame hyukjae was desperate not to go through this, bottom lip pouting out, the soft chattering now growing more frantic as he turned his dark pleading eyes up to Hae who wasn't paying the blindest bit of notice. "Mmm..." The small monkey hummed in protest, placing his hands on either side of Donghae's cheeks trying to get him to look at him and give in. 
 
 Turning the taps on, the writhing monkey tucked defiantly under his arm, watching the bath fill up and testing it before hand, like you would if you were lowering a child into a bath to make sure it didn't get burnt. 
 
"Eeeeeeeeeeeeep." The monkey squealed when Hae dunked him under the water completely submerging him under the water until his fur was slick and sticking to his face, flat and giving him a miserable drowned puppy look. Hae could only laugh, almost, almost immune to the expression's he could hold sometimes, he thought he looked more like a drowned rat than anything and that ernt a rather supressed laugh to form in the back of his throat. 
Hyukjae on the other hand was not so amused, sticking his tongue out at him only resulted in a mouthful of bubbles, nose wrinkling up in disgust. "Bleh." He complained, spitting out a stream of water at him. 
 
Pulling a face at him in complete ignorance towards just getting him clean so that he didn't smell anymore he bundled up the bubbles on the monkey until he had a damp mohawk on top of his head. 
 
Hyuk gave him a pitiful look, round dark eyes following his movements shying away from the pink shampoo Hae had in the palm of his hand. "Strawberry, hyukkie." He assured cornering him with it knowing he probably shouldn't feed the monkey his favourite food all the time, but Hyuk was picky and he had no real idea about what they were suppose to eat in the first place. He'd had pets before, a goldfish, a dog.. but nothing compared to the demanding care needed for a primate. Unable to prevent the monkey from sticking his tongue out and attempting to eat it. "NO! hyuk..." He snapped at him, already soaked from home much the little monkey had been thrashing around in protest. 
 
Bath time was something he had never been fond off, and he could see the calculating look in the monkeys expression already. Although he was absently trying to look amused by slapping at the water, and shying away from his own splashing that reached up to lash him in the face, the moment that Hae's back was turned he was scrambling out of the water, damp tail swaying behind him as he made a mad dash back to the safety of his window. 
"Don't you da-" The words barely slipped past Donghae's lips before he was scrambling after him, bath forgotten as he tried to grab the escape before he could soak the rest of his house. Skidding after him on wooden flooring that was never a brilliant combination with socks, he started cursing to himself under his breath as he practically rolled over the bundle of drenched fluff, capturing him in his arms and completely ruining how careful he had been not to get wet in the first place. "Aish Hyukkie, patience." He soothed him, smuggling him in a towel into his room, balancing himself on the balls of his feet as he began to towel dry him, ignoring the agitated clicking noise Hyukjae was making at being shaken about and left in the dark. 
 
Leaving him be, watching the adorable monkey huddle himself up, giving Hae an almost deliberate reproachful look, as if he would never come near him again for putting him through all that, even though he knew it wore off within half an hour and a couple of strawberries from the refrigerator. Teeth chattering slightly, ears tucked back against the cold, towel hiding most of his body and making him look like a tiny, grumpy old man Hae just grinned at him, innocently enough that he could shut the door behind him so he could make no second escape.
 
 "Sorry Hyuk, but i don't want you to be cold." He murmured absently to himself as he picked up a hair dryer, weighing it in his hand and watching the monkey, eyes wide with anticipation, instantly squinting and mouth going into a small 'O' with surprise as hot air was blasted in his direction. 
After the initial shock he started squeaking pitifully in protest, fur standing on end, still damp and all over the place, blinking rapidly as his small padded hands reached up to defend himself against the blast of air. It was soon gone though, Donghae gave in, the defenseless face he was pulling, much different to the one he pulled when he was fishing around with his hand in the goldfish bowl, trying to grasp his hand around the fish when Hae's back was turned, had him giving in, something he should have never done from the start when the same eyes were him that moment at the zoo, where their hands both splayed against the glass simultaneously and he made a rather irrational decision. 
 
Setting to work cleaning up the rest of Hyukjae's mess left his emails unread, his computer still open downstairs and his bed looking more than tempting than it should after doing almost nothing all day. Sighing and turning the lights off, leaving the cupboard open slightly, Hyukjae's usual hiding place, a shelf situated half way between the towels and his clothes was left unoccupied although not dusty because it wasn't long since someone elses belongings had once been there...
 
The monkey hesitated for a moment, sitting anxiously on the floor, letting out soft clicking noises in Donghae's direction, questioning whether he was still in trouble with him. Donghae sighed, squeezing the bridge of his nose before he extended his arms out to the little capuchin. The monkey scrambled into his owners lap like he hadn't been the man behind all the horrible cleaning process he'd just endured he started murmuring to him, a soft clackering noise in the back of his throat as he made the insecure leap up onto his shoulder, curling himself around his neck and settling himself under his chin. All was forgiven. And that Donghae decided, was why he had always preferred animals over humans in the first place. 
 
This probably wasn't normal. Donghae desperately needed a girlfriend. And a new Vase. Preferable an unbreakable one. 
 
---
 
Things hadn't always been like this, there was really only a certain ammount of forgiveness that Sunny could give. The little monkey hadn't welcomed his new surroundings at first, he had been destructive and ungrateful truely wild at heart, ripping apart anything he could get his hands on, and trying to determine his dominance and authority, effectively turning the household upside down. Sunny hadn't been as patience as Hae, she didn't quite appreciate when the monkey got his hands on some of her clothes and found them more fitting as a chew toy than anything else. As he grew older and his behavour got worse, their relationship was torn apart, various arguments thrown between them of Donghae finding another zoo to put him in.
 
But the idea was heartbreaking. With his own father having passed away, and the rest of his family a couple of hours away in Mokpo, Hyukjae was a little reminder of his past, something he couldn't let go of, and willingly he put up with the trouble he caused. The moment Hyukjae bit her whilst he was at work was the day that she packed her bags and left, and surprisingly his personality seemed to calm down after she was gone, as if it was the little monkeys plot to be gone of her and have Hae to himself in the first place. 
 
Donghae wasn't awoken souly by the sun shining in through curtains that he had forgotten to close, but rather the slender fingers running through his hair, his slumber ridden mind confused at first, knowing he didn't have company with him. But when his eyes opened, a long pink face staring keenly down at him, grooming absently through his mop of brown hair while he was sleeping. He couldn't help but groan. Most of the times he wished he could just stay in a dream land that wasn't filled with all kinds of lonesome insecurities.
 
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 
This isn't really going anywhere right now but i know where i want it to go >:D
Have a very unhappy Hyukkie in the bath.