Chapter 5: Sacrifice

Unbreakable

 

 

 

"Shh Hyukkie." He hummed fingers planted firmly in the monkeys plush fur, because the poor thing was shaking like a leaf.

 

Correction ; he was the one shaking.

 

He just wouldn’t admit it. He had never been very strong willed but if he set his mind to something then it was difficult for him to change his mind as much as his heart was telling him too.

 

Being in the familiar zoo like surroundings brought back a sense of nostalgia.

He’d always had a thing about the zoo but with the current heavy clouds hanging not only over the sky but over his heart too, he couldn’t help but feel the pressure increasing, not only because he had the added dead weight of Hyukjae dangling from his neck, but the sickness gathering in the pit of his stomach at what he was about to do.

 

Maybe... maybe he could get a job here. He could see Hyuk everyday, it would be like he was living with him and it would be Hae that would be the one leaving at the end of the day.

 

He knew that would never be an option though, he worked at home for a reason.

 

Ever since he was a baby he’d had acute Epilepsy, something doctors always insisted he would grow out of. It was a disorder that was suppose to only stick around during childhood and for a long while that was something he’d believed.

 

For years there had been no signs of them but the month that sunny left his stress levels rose and his Epilepsy hit him hard. Most days he just had a tingly feeling spreading through the left side of his body, other days he just collapsed, sometimes it was just with sheer exhaustion of the dawning feeling that he would always be alone.

 

Things got better, his heart healed but he could honestly feel whatever was left of it breaking all over again.

 

He knew how things would turn out but yet... working here wasn’t an option. He couldn’t be on his feet all day, certainly not out in the heat.

 

With a supressed sigh forming in the back of his throat he rested his chin atop Hyukjae’s head, his own brown eyes peering around curiously at the crowd of visitors, hoping...  yet not hoping to find someone that worked here.

 

“S-sir..?” Came an anxious voice from behind him.

 

Funny athough he was greeted by someone who was the same height as him, the other felt considerable smaller. It was probably the wide eyed look he was giving the monkey clutching tightly to Donghae’s shirt.

 

Noting how the rather angelic face had a pair of huge lips, currently pursed together in debate. Uniform. This guy was wearing some kind of uniform.

 

With his eyes scanning over him in search of some kind of name tag he cleared his throat, his obsessive death grip on Hyukjae increasing. “T-taemin is it?” He whispered blurting his words out all at once. “Sorry to bother you but i was just thinking... maybe... actually... possibly you know it doesn’t even matter i should just-”

 

With a rather firm hand placed on his shoulder Donghae fought the urge to shake it off and rather mesmirised by the smile the guy gave him he just whimpered in response. “You want to do a good thing right? For your monkey?” He questioned, reaching out without asking and petting the curled up ball of fluff who despite the noise around him had gone deadly quiet, face pressed into the crook of Donghae’s shoulder, his own fingers running through Donghae’s hair.

 

How on earth he managed to be towed along by some perky kid, he didn’t know but Hyukjae’s grip didn’t lesson and it didn’t make it any easier on his heart. He could feel the stress rising and was starting to get pins and needles in his left arm.

Not now Donghae... think happy thoughts.

 

Funny how the only things he could conjure up just made his heart ache more.

 

“You know Hyung! We have a whole family of capuchins here at the zoo.” Taemin told him, weaving him around the back way away from the public, taking a route straight towards the primate section. The sound of gibbons howling at each other caught Hyukjae’s attention and his ears rolled, bright eyes finially taking in his surroundings. “Eeeh..” He whispered to Donghae pointing his stubby finger over towards the sea lion exhibit.

 

Donghae had to give this place its credit, it was clean and spacious and the staff were certainly dedicated. Almost tripping over one of them when Taemin came to a stop he lifted up his startled gaze, a soft sigh escaping his lips at what he saw.

 

Although there was a fence, obviously it was met by a small circular lake, the only thing touching the edges was a small bridge, one in which was gaited shut for the keepers when they needed to feed the monkeys. Leading from this bridge was an island, dense with a few trees that were literally filled with monkeys. Although he could identify all of them as Capuchin’s they all looked different. He could spot the alpha male fro miles away, his big chubby face peering down into the water as he poked at it. There were plenty of babies swinging around and he smiled through his tears at the idea of Hyukjae being able to play amongst them.

 

None were as cute as him though and although they grinned at each other none had quite the crooked smile that Hyukjae had. He knew he’d always remember him. The young monkey was already straining in his arms curiously his fur brushing against Donghae’s face as he tried to get a better look at the other monkeys, accidentally catching some of the tears rolling down his cheeks.

 

He could do this, although his throat was burning and his eyes were itching...he could do it.

 

Despite the monkey leaning at odd angles to try and get down he kept his vice like grip on him, following Taemin into the encloser unwillingly and shutting the door behind him. Lowering the monkey down to the ground he kept his hand on his head and Hyukjae had similar motives as he suddenly latched himself onto his leg and peered up at him, large brown orbs reflecting the rain clouds that were about to burst. “I-it’s okay.” Donghae managed to whisper, kneeling himself down next to him on the bridge and unclipping his little fabric harness from around his waist. Suddenly bare and resembling the other monkeys Hae knew he would always be different. “Go on.” He urged under his breath, prising Hyukjae’s hands from around his calf, curling his hand around his and walking him up to the gate.

 

The monkey hesitated, vision locked clearly on the group who were starting to show interest in him.

“Don’t worry Hyung if he doesn’t like it i’ll ring you in the morning.” Taemin insisted, as if that was something that would sooth Donghae’s upset.

 

Hyukjae peered up at Donghae for a moment, brown eyes practically leaking their curiousity all over the place as he touched his hand to the side of his own face before pointing his fingers up at Hae’s.

 

“It’s okay... i love you Hyukkie.”

 

It took a moment, change was always hard but Hyukjae made the first step, his attention divided and placing all four paws down on the ground sauntered over to the other monkeys.

 

“He didn’t even look back.” Donghae whispered, wiping half heartedly at his face as he hunched his shoulders and turned away.

This was what he needed, not just a reality check such as his pet biting his friend, but for Hyukjae himself to tell him that he was ready.


He didn’t even stay to fill in the paperwork. He simply ran, soaked from the rain and crying by the time he was driving home.

 

__________________________________________________________________________________

This is not an END but an AND guys i have like 100000000 more chapters to go >:D

Sorry that this one is short and potentially aweful but i'm writing on no sleep.

Coming up: Hyukjae point of view! Potential Kyuhae and A MASSIVE PLOT TWIST.