Chapter 11: Misconception

Unbreakable

 

It was strange how easily you could settle back into normality when everything you had thought to be true and false was turned upside down by the transformation of a very unruly monkey into one very and affectionate blonde man. Over the past couple of days he had taught Hyukjae a couple of words, 'yes' , 'no' and 'HaeHae' was just about the limit of what he could offer him.
 
It wasn't the only thing he offered Donghae though, the brunette had been lonely for too long, and now with the task of training Hyukjae not to swing from the curtains anymore and to eat with cutlery, it had proved amusing enough to distract him, and for that pang of loneliness that had been present  to eventually dimish into nothing more than a bad memory. 
 
Hyukjae still took every chance he could to avoid bath time though, and Donghae had been avoiding it too. Besides, bathing a full grown man was not something that was... on his bucketlist, the say the least. 
 
It was difficult, he so frequently turned around to something out of the ordinary that his eyes were always half closed, never quite knowing what to expect. One minute Hyuk was crouched on the kitchen table, his nimble fingers and tall height able to prise the fridge open now, raiding its contents and the strawberry milk straight of out its carton. 
 
Hae had started keeping his supply in his room because he didn't want Hyukjae's saliva all over it. 
 
The next minute Hyukjae was stark , as he had appeared at first. He didn't like clothes, something he expressed to Donghae so often, they were 'scratchy' and annoying and whenever Donghae wasn't around to tell him not too, Hyukjae went Au Naturale. 
 
After that first morning of waking up to a very blonde, very warm man in his bed he had refused to let Hyukjae sleep with him, and every night he could feel his presence and see his shadow under the door, and more often than that not he questioned whether the noise he had always thought to be a dodgy boiler, was actually Hyukjae crying at night at having to sleep alone. 
 
Donghae had never been that experienced with children, and Hyukjae was just as demanding as he was before. He'd push Hae's laptop down, deleting all his work in the process just to get his attention. More times that not he had to dedicate an hour, locking himself away in his bedroom just to get anything done. 
 
Hyukjae was too much of a distraction recently. Monkies were cute, but put that wonky, gummy smile on a person and... it drove him insane. Everyone he met he compared them to Sunny, tried to find a small part of her in someone else, to find himself a chance to move on and get over it. But Hyukjae was different, Hyukjae had always been Hyukjae to him, because he'd known him since he was small, and he was a constant, even if he had changed. 
The way he was still completely unaware of his size, his meak attempts at climbing up Donghae never failed to make him laugh, the blonde was the smallest bit taller than him and each time he launched himself at him he had to stop his knees from buckling because Hyukjae was always persistent in never letting go. 
 
Today was one of those days, Donghae needed to escape and he was trying to prise Hyukjae's fingers from the door frame so that he could shut the door. "Hyukkie please i won't be long..."
 
"Hae no leave Hyukkie.." He pined, large brown eyes going purposely round as if he knew the effect he could have on him sometimes. Desperately reaching out and trying to slide his fingers into Hae's he bounced on his heels, in a crouch that he normally resumed when walking became too difficult for him. Rolling his bottom lip out in protest, Donghae tried to look away from him, bundling up his hands in his, momentary, tricked comfort before he nudged him backwards and shut the door, trying to ignore the irritating noise of Hyukjae tapping his forehead against the door. "Please HaeHae... i'm sorry..."
 
It was a phrase that Hyukjae knew well. He had always terrorized Donghae's small little house, and just because he was human he wasn't granted with any understanding that being destructive when you were bored got you anywhere.
 
And Hyukjae was definately bored, after half a week stuck inside, and with a more active brain he seemed desperate to get outside. But Donghae was honestly scared. The last time he took him outside he lost him, and he knew now people would take advantage of the fact that he was different, adorable and had a tendacy to take his clothes off when you least expected it. 
 
Hyukjae's whining persisted until he recognised the clicking of Donghae's keys before he was off, bouncing on the balls of his feet, avoiding the bathroom and scooting himself down the stairs carefully. He was frustrated with his lack of mobility and certainly the way the refrigerator swung precariously the moment he dived at it to empty its contents. Humming to himself he rubbed at his eyes, still downtrodden that Donghae wouldn't spend time with him. 
Hyuk had run out of things to play with, he liked Donghae's computer but he didn't like the way Hae shouted at him when he tried to rearrange the keys for him. 
 
In the process of defeathering one of the pillows on the couch, leaving a trail of them as he walked around the house, watching them float down to the ground and collect amongst themselves on the kitchen tiles. He was utterly fascinated by how his senses made everything feel different, maybe if he gave some of these feathers to Hae he would forgive him for whatever he did that caused him to shut him out-
 
The front door swung open, a breeze breaking goose bumps out along his bare skin. 
 
"What the-" Kyuhyun didn't know where to focus his eyes, stunned by the sight of a scrawny, bleach blonde boy.... man standing in the middle of Donghae's kitchen, stark and surrounded by feathers. 
 
There was no doubt about it, he knew his best friend, the anti-social, grumpy Donghae. There was no way in hell this wasn't an intruder. 
 
Hyukjae stumbled for a moment. He saw things differently in these eyes, from this height but there was no doubting, after a moment of fully scanning the taller with his eyes. 
 
Kyuhyun.
 
His teeth bared instantly, because old habits died hard and he was still tempted to just sink his teeth into his arm. 
 
"What are you doing in here hmm?"
 
 "You plan on stealing everything?"
 
 "Where is he, what did you do to him?"
 
 "Where are your ing clothes?"
 
The questions he was bombarded with hurt his head and he clamped his hands over his ears, backing away from him until his shoulder blades bumped against the wall. He shook his head, not reluctant to answer him but he couldn't express how much he didn't understand what he wanted from him at the moment. "N-no...?"  He questioned, head tilted to the side. Kyuhyun had always been interesting and he didn't quite know why Donghae let him in the house. 
 
When he could provide him with no answers Kyuhyun grew angry, striding over to him. Panicked Hyukjae pointed at the door. "Go." He said, his words clipped and strange, taking effort to force them out. 
 
Rough hands slammed into his collarbones, a look of disgust spreading across the taller mans face. "You tell me why Donghae has a man like you in his house." He demanded, eyeing the blonde. He was either drunk or plain stupid, the delusional look in his eyes, he wasn't getting any of this. There was something similar about brown eyes that stared at you with an edgy distrust though, and he didn't like it.
 
If he had to shake the answer out of him he would. 
 
But the blonde had different ideas however, squirming out of his grin and lunging his weight at him to get him towards the door. Kyuhyun wasn't having any of this, fist raise, giving the man plenty of warning to stop touching him when there was only his own clothes separating them. But Hyukjae seemed ignorant to the presentation of a threat, and it was only until his knuckles connected with his cheek bone that he went reeling backwards, squealing and cradling his face. 
 
Kyuhyun was smug up until the blonde started screaming. "HaeHae... Donghae, help Hyukkie." 
 
His best friends name rang in his ears until it didn't sound like a word anymore, the blonde, large childlike eyes, hugging his arms around himself, screaming out persistently until he got what he wanted.
 
Donghae, clad in socks that had him slipping his way along, seemed to have already been making his way down the stairs, skidding until he was standing in front of Hyukjae, shoulders hunched, resuming a position that was naturally defensive. 
 
He felt the youngers thin face bury between his shoulder blades and he reached a hand back to comfort him, dark brown eyes shooting accusing daggers that hit Kyuhyun right where it hurt. 
 
"What was that for?" He snapped, once he was sure that Kyuhyun wasn't about to carry on punching the taller, pale blonde guy behind him he turned around, greeted by his nudeness and he began to understood the shock that he had once felt. 
 
oh.
 
"Kyuhyun this is-"
 
"I don't care who it is Donghae... you're making the wrong decision, i know you're lonely but-"
 
"Eunhyuk."
 
The name rolled too easily off his tongue, he seldom lied, and Hyukjae played no reaction on his face, unresponsive to his supposed name.
 
"What kind of name is that?" Kyuhyun was angry about something, but Donghae could pay him no sympathy. He knew he couldn't even attempt to explain to Kyu that this was Hyukjae, the living breathing, and human embodiment of his pet monkey. Instead he found it easier to create an entirely new entity and although he planned on introducing him as a friend of family member, the blonde's blunt lack of clothing begged to differ. 
 
Something had caught Kyuhyun's attention. He played enough video games to notice fine details in things. Even though he had just punched him, arguably killing a few of his brain cells, the guy seemed positively slower than most, he only had eyes for Donghae, and even though he was nursing the red mark on his face he still seemed to lack embarrassment, and other emotions that would be clear in this situation. He understood completely how lonely Donghae had been these past couple of months, but if he was settling for someone so, blank so different, Kyuhyun couldn't help but doubt he was making a wise choice.
 
"Hyung..." He murmured and Donghae winced at the formality, prising Hyukjae's wrists away from his face, looking at the shiner that was starting to form on his cheek. 
 
"Hyung i'm worried... maybe if i can get Sunny to come round, if i ring her and tell her you just need clearance-"
 
Donghae wanted to know not only whether Kyuhyun had gone completely insane, but how he could even contact her in the first place. 
 
"How.."
 
"Her wedding invitation came through the post a couple of days ago..."
 
"Out. Get out."
 
Kyuhyun realised his mistake as soon as he made it, although the anger that crossed Donghae's face had nothing to do with the remains of past pain, of his ex-girlfriend moving on. It had to do with the fact that Kyuhyun seemed set on knocking some sense into him, when he didn't need it anymore. Shoving his friend towards the door he held it, feeling Hyukjae hovering at his side. 
 
"Touch him again, and we're done." He warned him, shutting the door behind him. 
 
He'd lost a lot of people in his life, and he knew it was inevitable. He had begin to believe that human interaction was never permanent, people seemed to move in and out of your life quicker than you could keep track of it. But one thing was for sure, one thing that had lasted since the beginning of time, back when he was a kid. 
 
What he and Hyukjae had, was Unbreakable
 
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
A/N: Omg guys ;_; i appolagise that i havn't updated in months
I have exams coming up so its been increasingly difficult for me to update and i've been focussing on another fic.
Shamelessly advertises it: Insightful
Thanks to anyone who is still reading this <3
A few more chapters and this fic will be finished ;_;
More Eunhae moments and Kyu might finially get a little someone for himself in the next couple of chapters, poor thing <3.