The ball

A new life, a new start

The day of the ball was drawing closer, and I started worrying. What was I going to wear? Would Sungmin like my hair? Would I end up embarrassing myself in front of everyone? I really had trouble with the first question, though. I didn’t have much experience with such events, no; I had no experience, and I was still too embarrassed to meet my only girlfriend. Ever since the day of the summer festival, we hadn’t talked; we hadn’t eaten dinner together. She seemed to be avoiding me, and I didn’t know what to text her either. So I just depended on myself.

I looked through my sparsely-filled wardrobe. There were but a few dresses. I took my favourite out and smoothed out the creases. It was a simple flowery dress, but I liked it best because it was made by my grandmother. I decided on that and to think no more.

On the actual day of the ball, I took a taxi to the address Sungmin had given me. It stopped outside a grand compound, with a black gate that was open, revealing a white house on the inside. Just the sight of such a place almost took my breath away. But what caught my eye even more was a sign which said: The Lees. This was…Sungmin’s house? I was just about to enter Lee Sungmin’s house! And it was HUGE.

There was as much grandeur on the inside as on the outside. A chandelier which must have held more than a hundred candles hung from the centre, and there were many little tables covered with white cloth and tied with ribbons, which people were standing around.

I observed the people around me. They were all dressed so…differently from me. Or rather, me from them. The material their clothes were made of were all so smooth and silky, and many of the ladies were wearing full-length gowns. To make matters worse, my stupid heels were so high, and because I hardly wore them, before I knew it I had tripped and was falling through the air, aiming straight for the shiny marble floor.

“Wow.” That voice. That tone.

“Somebody’s not used to wearing heels, eh? Of course, I wouldn’t be surprised. Probably never been to this formal an event before. Which also explains the dress. Gosh, if you didn’t want to wear full-length you should at least have worn cocktail, and not some cotton summery dress.”

I pulled myself up. By this time, a lot of people were staring. I guess they were already staring at me due to my outstanding fashion sense.

“And that face doesn’t help much either.” Heejun stalked off with her nose in the air.

I headed outside to the gardens. I needed some fresh air right now. At first I could not help but run, to just go where my legs would take me. I didn’t even know where I was going, but I felt like my tears were going to fall, and I needed to be away from the crowd. Then they did. I thought it would be over soon but I just broke down on a nearby bench and continued sobbing uncontrollably.

After it felt like I had dried my eyes out completely and run out of tears, I slowly began to regain my composure and walked for a few steps. But then I realised I didn’t know where I was, or how I had come. I was in some kind of a mini maze place made out of hedges, and there was a fountain right in the centre. I would have called it a pretty sight if not for my present state of mind, and the fact that it was getting cold.

“Achoooooo!”

I suddenly heard a flurry of steps coming from behind and suddenly my shoulders were covered by something warm. Before I had time to think about what was happening my heart skipped a beat as I felt someone’s arms around my waist. I heaved a deep sigh of relief. I didn’t have to turn around to know who it was. All these weeks spent with Sungmin allowed me to recognise the particular scent he carried about him, anywhere, anytime. It was not very strong, but it was sweet, and made your mind think of all kinds of things like strawberries and marshmallows and pumpkins. I felt him rest his head on my shoulder as his arms remained around me.

“Why are you here?” I asked, my voice shaky.

He didn’t directly answer the question, but instead said, in almost a whisper, “Do you know how much my heart is aching now?”

Upon hearing that, I think my heart ached even more, and my tears started to slowly fall again. What had happened clearly wasn’t his fault, but he probably felt responsible for being the one who had invited me. Of course I didn’t blame him, I was more than happy to come! It was just that I didn’t quite fit in with the crowd.

He gently turned me around and thumbed away my tears. “Please don’t cry, I can’t bear to see you like this.” His eyes were full of sorrow. He pulled me into a tight embrace and my hair. We stayed like this for a long while.

“I’m sorry I embarrassed you,” I said into his shirt, as he had taken off his jacket, which was now on my shoulders. “I’m just not pretty enough.”

He lifted my face with his soft and gentle hands and looked into my eyes as he said, “You’re so beautiful that I wanted to hold you like this the first time I saw you.” His words were enough to make any girl’s heart flutter, and mine beat so fast that I was prepared for it to come out at any moment. Then all of a sudden, his face was just millimetres away from mine, and his scent was intoxicating. It filled my mind so much and my legs felt weak. Then our lips met. It was just a brush for a brief instant, but that was enough to make my knees buckle. I felt Sungmin’s arm on my back as he supported me. Then we both moved in closer again, and this time, everything took place a whole lot faster. I could feel his whole lip against mine, and they were oh, so, soft. I felt like I wanted more, so I pressed back against him. He seemed to take that as a cue and his lips started doing their work, no, their magic. I had never felt such a multitude of indescribable feelings all at the same time before.

After awhile we broke free, both panting. I looked at his swollen red lips and felt his hot breath on my cheeks, which I suppose were equally red. They felt hot, at least. Both his hands were resting on my shoulders. As his tongue came out from the side of his mouth to his lips, yet a new sensation arose in me. This time it came from somewhere near my stomach. It was like having a heart pounding in my stomach.

The third time we kissed, I knew what to do. I circled my arms around his neck, which deepened the kiss and I felt his hands move from my shoulders down to my waist. He let out a small chuckle between the kiss as I flinched at his touch. As he held me and showered me with kisses it felt like there was no one else in the world, and nothing else mattered. I felt like all my frustrations were gone.

But then, I stopped. I didn’t want Sungmin to think that I was just doing this because I was in need of some comfort. He noticed my hesitation and cupped my face. “What’s wrong, my baby?”

I closed my eyes and relished the thought. My baby, he had said. I was his.

Before I could explain my reservations, he said, “I’m sorry…I shouldn’t have rushed into it so fast. I shouldn’t be taking advantage of you like that, especially when you’re in this current state.”

“No, that’s not what I meant!” I hurriedly explained. Sungmin shouldn’t have to feel sorry for anything. “It’s me, I’m the one who’s afraid that you think I’m just using you…”

“I know you’re not, so hush now.” He placed a finger on my lips. “And even if you were, I wouldn’t care less.” He started to slowly kiss me again.

A thousand kisses later, I told a dazed Sungmin, “I think we should go back. There’ll be people looking for you.”

He grumbled, muttering something about not even being half-done yet. I laughed at him but he complied. As I turned to go, I felt his hand on my wrist.

“Wait. I meant what I said,” Sungmin said with fierce yet tender eyes.

“About what?”

“That you’re beautiful. Don’t let that ugly beast’s words ever put you down again.”

I felt beautiful.