And it all came crashing down

A new life, a new start

When Monday came, Sungmin was in class early. But somehow he looked a little…unwell.

“Hey, you ok?” I touched his back. His head was on the table, just like the first time I had met him. He didn’t answer but I didn’t want to press him. I sat down and started taking out my things. After a few minutes, he finally lifted his head and what greeted me were a pair of watery doe-eyes.

“Baby, what’s wrong?” I immediately embraced him while his hair. I felt my blouse get wet, and he was totally leaning on me now, but I didn’t let go. He seemed like all the energy got zapped out of him.

“My family’s company…” The sounds were muffled but I could still roughly make them out. “It’s gone.”

“What do you mean it’s gone?” Now it was my turn to hold his face, like he always did to me. His poor cheeks were all puffy from crying, and I would have leant forward and kissed him if we didn’t happen to be in class.

He sniffed and broke down again before he managed to say anything. “It crashed.” Then in an even smaller voice, “We’re on the verge of bankruptcy. Everything’s gone.”

My eyes widened. Sungmin the rich kid, had now gone from riches to rags? “I’m so sorry dearie, I’m not too sure what’s happened but I’m sure everything will get better right?”

“No, it won’t. It won’t…” he whispered as his eyes got ever-redder still. My heart ached for Sungmin. He was probably feeling scared, insecure and in need of a pillar of support right now. I would be it if he needed me to. I would always stay by him, no matter what.

Sungmin obviously couldn’t pay attention throughout the lessons, and frankly neither could I. I occasionally looked at him to see what he was doing and he either had his head on the table or was staring at the front, keeping very still. Either way, his eyes would just be fixated on a certain spot, and have a very zoned out look. I squeezed his hand but he didn’t really respond. When lunch came, we walked to SJ’s room wordlessly. When we entered, only Donghae and Kyuhyun were there.

“Umm hyung…Eunhyuk and Ryeowook said they won’t be coming today.” Donghae scratched the back of his neck uneasily as he stole a glance upwards at Sungmin. Kyuhyun didn’t seem too comfortable either.

“So they all know already. Well, I’d be surprised if they didn’t.” Sungmin continued in his zombie voice. Poor baby, he was affected really badly by this. But why weren’t the others here just because of this matter? But then Sungmin said something shocking. “I just came here to tell you guys in case you didn’t know, anyway. I guess I won’t be coming back here.” I sensed a tint of sadness in his voice, it was some feeling at least, before he took a good look at the room and walked out. When he reached the door and realised I was following him, he turned around and stopped me. “Jiyeon, stay here. I’m going home now.”

“But…” I protested.

“Kyu, take care of her,” was all Sungmin said before he walked decisively out.

“Sungmin!” I wanted to run after him but I felt a hand on my wrist. It was Kyuhyun.

“Let him be.” His tone was gentle but firm.

Lunch was silent. It felt weird, as Donghae and I technically weren’t even supposed to be there in the first place. So the only actual owner of the room was Kyuhyun. Donghae had to leave early, leaving Kyuhyun and I alone.

“Kyuhyun, can I ask you something?”

He looked up from his laptop.

“Sorry, am I disturbing you?”

“No, not really. What is it?”

I bit my lip. “Why did Eunhyuk and Ryeowook not come?”

Kyuhyun sighed an audible sigh. “You see, all of us are such good friends and did everything together from young because of our families’ companies. They all do business together and have a good working relationship. So when Sungmin’s family’s company crashed, it kind of affected the other companies in a way too. Or even if it hasn’t, it will soon. So I guess they’ve been told by their families to stay away from Sungmin. Their fathers are probably avoiding Sungmin’s father like the plague too. It’s not uncommon, to start avoiding businesses which fail. But what I can’t understand is how they won’t even come and see Sungmin.” He sighed again.

“Then what about you? Weren’t you warned by your family too?”

“I was, but I don’t care. I just had to come today to make sure he was ok. It was a good thing he turned up. And good thing he has you in his class too, Jiyeon.” He smiled weakly at me. Kyuhyun was really such a mature boy, he turned up for lunch but didn’t give any pity that Sungmin didn’t need. I really admired him for being a loyal friend.

Over the next few days, Sungmin often left school after the morning lessons were over, saying there were things he needed to sort out at home. I really wanted to help him, but I knew there wasn’t anything I could do but give him moral support. Eunhyuk and Ryeowook came back after 3 days. I don’t know if Kyuhyun told them anything, maybe that Sungmin wasn’t coming to lunch anymore. I didn’t know what was happening to SJ – lunches were quieter, we had fewer things to say, and no one even hung out there in the morning.

But what really scared me was hearing some shouting the moment I entered the room one day. Instinctively changing my step to tipping toes, I crept to the source of the shouting. It was the band room. I saw Eunhyuk and Donghae’s backs towards me.

“But can’t you look past all this and think about your years of friendship? Aren’t you two supposed to be the best of friends, huh?” Donghae’s voice was strong, but almost pleading.

“You don’t understand! You will never understand! Your family’s company just started a few years ago, it’s not the same!”

“You’re right, I don’t understand. I don’t understand why I ever saw a friend in you.”

Donghae turned around and left. As he passed me at the door he flinched slightly, but said nothing.

After a few deep breaths, Eunhyuk left too.

I was alone in this big empty room, not quite knowing what to do. I went back to the sofa in the main area and curled up into a ball, my head swimming with all the troubles of the boys. But the silence was broken by Kyuhyun.

“Jiyeon, are you ok?”

I looked up. His hand was on my shoulder and his brows were furrowed.

“Umm…yeah.” I managed a smile at him.

“Actually…I have something to ask you.” Kyuhyun’s head was down, and it even looked a little flushed.

“What is it?”

“I…I…argh! I can’t do this!” Kyuhyun buried his face in his hands as he half-laughed and he actually looked quite cute. I never thought that our maknae would live up to his title, but he just did. “Ok. Actually…erm…I have somebody that I…like? And I was wondering if you could advice me on how to ask her out. Ok. There. I said it.” He heaved a deep sigh.

“Aww, Kyuhyunnie, I never really thought I’d say this, but you’re so cute!” I squeezed his cheeks.

“Oww! Not. Appreciated.” He reverted back to a non-maknae mode and glared at me.

“Who is it! You have to tell me first!”

He sighed again. “It’s a girl in my class, and I think you know her. Her name is Youngeun.”

I gasped the loudest gasp I myself had ever heard as my eyes widened in shock. Youngeun…? Youngeun, who had a crush on Eunhyuk! And now Eunhyuk’s dongsaeng fancied her. This itself was presenting me with a huge dilemma, and I recalled that day backstage after the Summer Festival as Youngeun went all shy and timid at the sight of Eunhyuk. But there was something funny. Then I remembered! Kyuhyun had been there too, but they hadn’t made any sign of acknowledging each other. In fact, Kyuhyun didn’t say anything at all throughout that whole time.

“Youngeun, the girl who was with me backstage after the Summer Festival?” He nodded his head. “But you guys didn’t look like you knew each other!”

Kyuhyun shook his head slowly. “It’s really bad. I don’t know. The two of us were paired up for a project and we kind of ended up hating each other. But after it ended I couldn’t stop thinking about her and I found myself missing her so bad. We avoid each other in class so it’s as if we’re not even in the same class. At least last time we still had a reason to meet and chat online and text each other, but now she’s just totally giving me the cold shoulder.”

“Oh, Kyu. Maybe you should ask yourself why she hates you, then apologise about it, and start asking her if you can be friends. But…” I bit my lip.

Kyuhyun raised his eyebrows at me, waiting for me to continue. I was wondering whether to tell him about Youngeun’s crush on Eunhyuk. No, never mind. She probably wasn’t that serious anyway, since she didn’t know him. I wouldn’t dampen Kyuhyun’s spirit. I quickly came up with something to continue my sentence. “Take it slowly.”

“Oh, you mean not like this?” Kyuhyun grabbed me in a hug and we both laughed.

“Yes, I mean not like this, Kyuhyunnie.” I wanted to twist myself out of the hug but he held on.

“But really, I want to hug you, noona.” Omg! That’s the first time I heard him call me noona! “Thank you for staying by Sungmin.”

“Silly boy, of course I would stay by him! I don’t even have a family company to defend!” I told him about what had happened earlier with Eunhyuk and Donghae.

“I guess after seeing Sora noona go out to the company and really work, Eunhyuk’s been quite keen on the family business too,” Kyuhyun explained. “Right now, all we can do for Sungmin is to hope for the best.”

The next day, Sungmin was a little grouchier than usual. It was amazing how he managed to remain rather bright still even after the event, but it seemed like things finally took a toll on his mood. When I tried to do so much as to even touch his arm, he shoved my hand away and turned to the other side. I decided not to try and talk him out of it, as it would be pointless anyway. And there went yet another quiet, uneventful day.