Rebirth (SS501's album title! xD)

A new life, a new start

 

As we re-entered the hall, someone started calling Sungmin. He looked at me apologetically but I motioned for him to go. I was wondering what to do next when I saw Eunhyuk and an elegant lady walking towards me. Eunhyuk had probably seen the whole thing and was now coming to console me. This was the worst day of my life.

“Annyeong haseyo,” I greeted the lady. “Hello, Eunhyuk.”

“Jiyeon ah, this is my noona, Sora.” Eunhyuk introduced.

“Hi, nice to meet you, Jiyeon-ssi. I’ve heard a lot about you from Eunhyuk,” she winked. “I’m sorry about what happened just now,” she continued. I knew it. But she had more to say. “I actually happen to have a spare outfit in my car, well I always do, in case I walk into a room and see someone wearing the same thing as me.” Upon seeing my shocked face she laughed, and said, “I’m just joking. But it’s really for contingency purposes, in case I get my outfit dirty or something. Seeing that we’re quite similar in size, what about I lend it to you for the evening? Not that your dress is ugly, of course,” she clasped my hand. “But shall we show that (at this she winked again) your hidden beauty? I can just borrow one of Sungmin’s rooms to do makeup for you, I’m sure.” Eunhyuk nodded.

“Thank you very much for your kind offer, but I don’t think it’s really necessary, Sora-ssi. I don’t want to trouble you.”

“First, call me unnie. Whoever’s Eunhyuk’s friend is my dongsaeng too. And second, come on! It’ll be fun! I’ve always asked Eunhyuk why he wasn’t a girl so that I had a younger sister to doll up.”

After a bit more persuasion I relented, and we walked to her car while Eunhyuk went to find a room for us. (A/N: that sounds wrong if you think about ‘us’ the wrong way but. Hahaha.)

“Now, let’s see…which one would suit you better?” Sora held up two dresses one by one as we stood by her car.

“Wow, unnie, I thought you said one contingency outfit.” I tried not to sound too much like a country bumpkin.

Sora simply gave a gentle laugh and picked the light blue cocktail dress. It was of a very soft material, several layers to give it a little body, but wasn’t too puffy. The chest area was covered with big waves of cloth, and the way it gently flared out gave it a very fairy-like feeling overall.

“Alright, let’s go.” Sora started back towards the mansion. I held back, admiring her confident strides and the way she carried herself.

“Jiyeon? What’s wrong?” Sora turned around.

“Nothing, unnie. I was just thinking that I want to be like you.” I couldn’t believe I just said that to an unnie I just met a few minutes ago! But Eunhyuk’s unnie was as lovable as could be.

She returned a wide smile and said, “I’m sure you can. And tonight will be your first step.”

Going up the stairs, I spied Sungmin talking to the guests. He really was the little heir, getting ready to take over at the helm of his father’s business one day. I blushed when I thought about what had happened between us earlier, then I almost tripped on a step, which brought me back to reality. Looking ahead, the marble steps and the ivory banisters led to a rectangular corridor with rooms all around the stairs. I felt like I was in a palace. Eunhyuk was waiting for us outside one of the rooms, and as soon as he saw us he signalled before giving me an assuring smile and leaving to the main event.

The red carpet in the room reminded me of SJ’s room, the room that had become a part of my life. A clean, no-fuss white table was stationed at the end, and I was wondering where the makeup would come from. But my question soon got answered as Sora sat me down and flipped the table top, revealing a huge mirror on the underside and a variety of makeup that usually would take one twenty years to finish using.

“Now why don’t you just wash your face and change into your dress while I see which makeup is suitable?” Sora pointed me to a special inner room.

I had a little difficulty squeezing in the dress, but it fit nicely in the end, and it was so ethereal that I wanted to scream for joy. I had always wanted to wear one of these, but I could never afford it.

When I came out, Sora winked at me. “You’re halfway there.”

As the makeup routine started with the foundation, Sora struck up a conversation. “So how’s my little brother in school? I heard you go to the room every day too.”

“Eunhyuk is a really fun and easy-going person. I don’t see him as much as Sungmin, but the times I have with him are really fun! He never fails to make me laugh. And yes, I’ve been going to the room, everyone was very kind to let me join in.”

“I do miss going there too,” Sora said, and I thought I saw a glint of sadness in her eyes. But she soon brightened up. “Oh well, but working in my father’s company isn’t as bad as I thought! School was fun, but if you start working then you’ll get to feel all grown-up! Not that Eunhyuk looks like he wants to grow up, though.” She laughed. “Actually, all of them don’t seem to want to grow up, right?”

“Yes, including me!” I closed my eyes for the matching light blue eye shadow that followed the dark eyeliner.

“Your cheeks already have a natural pink, it looks like I don’t have to put so much blusher. Very pretty!”

I didn’t know whether it was natural like that, or because I was blushing all over thinking about Sungmin just now.

As she applied the lipstick, she said, “And these lips, are for making someone happy. That lucky boy.” I tried to stop myself from blushing again. Did Sora know what had happened earlier? Was she making an indirect reference to Sungmin? Anyway, it wasn’t important.

“Voila! We’re done! Look at yourself, you’re a beauty!”

I looked at myself in the mirror and I wouldn’t have said I was a beauty but I had to admit that this entire look was so different from what I was a few minutes ago.

As we walked down the stairs, I felt some eyes staring at me. I was unused to this. I was not pretty, I was not smart, I was not talented, so I was not used to stares. I looked around for a certain pair of eyes. Then I found it. I practically saw his jaw drop and Sungmin swiftly gave his glass to a waiter who was walking around and headed straight to the bottom of the stairs.

“I think I’ll leave you now,” Sora winked again.

I nodded. “Thank you once again, Sora unnie!”

“Jiyeon,” Sungmin gasped as he held my hand.

“Annyeong, Sungmin-ssi. Jiyeon imnida.” I gave him a little wave and giggled.

“I said that you were beautiful as you were, but I’m not complaining now.” Sungmin’s eyes were still roving all over my body, making me feel shy.

“Sungmin, stop it! People are watching!” I patted his arm.

“Let them. And let me.” He continued his seductive stares. I felt hot again.

“Sungmin…I’m thirsty. Where can I get a drink?”

“Oh no! You haven’t drank anything since you came? I’m such a bad host!” He smacked himself on the head and said, “Wait here,” before rushing off in typical Sungmin-style. That little ball of energy never failed to make me smile.

As I waited, familiar faces came towards me. “Noona! You’re so pretty!!” Ryeowook exclaimed.

“Now, that, even I’ll have to admit,” Kyuhyun said jokingly. This little maknae.

No one could have been prouder than Eunhyuk. “My noona’s quite something, eh?” he chuckled.

Donghae simply gave me one of his smiles. Ever since that incident, I felt like we could connect without even talking. It was just a huge relief that we were still great friends.

Sungmin came back with the drinks and I gulped it down gratefully. We stood around and talked about nothingness; Eunhyuk cracked his jokes, and it felt good to be back with these boys again, even though I had seen them just the day before.

Our moment together was interrupted by a girl’s voice coming from behind me. “Oh, all the oppas are here! And who may this be? Hi, I’m Heejun-“ She stopped short as I turned around and gave her the best beaming smile I could.

“Had enough staring yet, Heejun? Now go back to your father, yes, go and complain to daddy.” Kyuhyun snapped out.

Heejun stomped away, and couldn’t have looked any less elegant than she was already making herself out to be with that frowning face of hers.

“You’ve been making your little fiancée angrier by the day, huh?” Eunhyuk nudged Sungmin.

I frowned. Fiancée? Who was Eunhyuk talking about? I saw razor eyes pass from Sungmin to Eunhyuk, which evidently meant that it meant something.

“Oops…sorry hyung…” Eunhyuk shuffled his feet around on the spot as he stared at the floor which had suddenly become very interesting.

I opened my mouth to speak but Kyuhyun spoke first. “When’s the dancing starting?” Wow. I didn’t know there’d be dancing. Who was I going to dance with?

“I’ll tell them to start.” Sungmin left us.

“I’d be honoured to dance with you but I think I shall let Sungmin have the first dance,” Kyuhyun smirked. That maknae sure knew how to talk.

A man walked up to the front and announced, “Dear all, thank you for waiting. We will now be starting the dance.”