Meeting the gang

A new life, a new start

So, school officially started. The bell rang and a young bespectacled teacher stepped in.

“Welcome to the new school year. To those who are familiar," at this she glanced around at some, including Sungmin, "welcome back. To those new here, as I know some are, I hope you find yourself at ease at SM, and do enjoy the many interactions you will have with your new schoolmates.” She was Ms Park, our form teacher.

In the hours following, Sungmin and I hardly paid attention. We talked about our hobbies and interests, as well as subjects we liked. It probably wasn’t a very good idea, but he seemed to just keep asking more questions or answering questions I had, that time just passed without us knowing. I found out that he liked playing the guitar, something I’d always wanted to try. He also enjoyed singing, and was part of a band.

Four hours later, the lunch bell finally went. “Is it ok if I go for lunch with you, Sungmin? It’s just that you’re the first person I know and…”

“What are you talking about? I said you’re sticking with me and my buddies, right? I know what it’s like to be new. Come on, there’s someone I want to show you. He’s from Mokpo too!” There was no more time for talking as the active boy picked up his things and signalled to me.

"Isn’t the canteen there?” I asked, pointing in the other direction from where we were heading.

“Yeah it is, but we’re not headed there. Just come along,” Sungmin grabbed my wrist and pulled me, running. We headed past a number of rooms and went up the stairs. I was already quite breathless at the top of the stairs, and upon hearing my panting Sungmin let up a bit, while still holding on to my wrist.

After a few more twists, turns and doors, we finally reached a room with tinted doors. Sungmin went to the left and keyed in a passcode on a security number pad. The doors swung open, revealing a carpeted floor and what seemed to be like a pantry. However, it was not just a normal pantry. There were shelves and shelves of food, with dispensers filled with candy and the likes, as well as rows of drinks. Sungmin led me further in. There was a low round table and sofas surrounding it. Sitting around were the three I had seen earlier, Ryeowook, Kyuhyun and Eunhyuk.

“Hey guys! Where’s Donghae?” Sungmin asked.

“That kid just got up…aish,” Eunhyuk sighed.

“Oh, I thought I’d introduce him to Jiyeon, since she’s from Mokpo too,” Sungmin told them.

“I’m hungry, can we start?” Kyuhyun interrupted. It seemed like being the maknae of the group didn’t deter him from doing so.

“Right… Is the food ready?” Sungmin asked, glancing around.

“The chef said it’s ready, we were waiting for you.” Kyuhyun seemed really hungry.

“Right, then…let’s go!” Everyone stood up as Sungmin did. Feeling more than a little lost, I followed them blindly to yet another section of the room, where there was an elaborate dining table with cutlery nicely laid out, plates, napkins and all.

“For the lady,” Sungmin graciously pulled out a chair.

After everyone was seated, waiters and waitresses came out and started serving the food. There was a lot of food I had never seen before, it felt like I had just stepped into an exquisite restaurant. Of course, I was very puzzled as to what was going on, but saved my questions for when all the bustle had ended. When it finally did, I saw before my eyes, four hungry boys immediately wolf down platefuls of food.

“Help yourself, Jiyeon.” This time, it was Kyuhyun who helped me by scooping some food onto my plate.

“Don’t hold back, noona,” Ryeowook chimed in.

“Ah, thank you. But can I ask, what is this all about?” I stared at them, puzzled. My mind was in a whirl. First it was the fact that I wasn’t going to the main canteen, then this strange and grand room which was faraway from everything else, then there were all these uniformed waiters around in this restaurant-like place, all happening too quickly. And not counting the fact that Kyuhyun called me by name while Ryeowook called me noona even though Kyuhyun was supposedly younger. I was truly bewildered.

“You dork, Sungmin! You brought a girl here without telling her what it’s about?” Kyuhyun looked at Sungmin pointedly. Now I got it. This little maknae didn't seem to call anyone older than him hyung or noona for that matter, he just called them by name, even people he had just met, it would seem.

“I was too excited, I just wanted to show her to Hae! How rare is it that we get someone not from Seoul, and what more from Hae’s hometown too?” Sungmin defended himself, while giving a puppy-eyed look to Kyuhyun. He was much more successful at it than Heejun had attempted earlier. “Well anyway, sorry for not telling you, Jiyeon. This is our room.” It seemed to just end there.

Kyuhyun hit Sungmin on the head playfully. “Absolutely the worst description I’ve ever heard.” He turned to me, “Basically, this room was built for the exclusive use of the people you see here. We have our lunch here daily and come here to hang out during any break. In fact,” Kyuhyun signalled for me to lean in closer, “they like to call SM Super Man, and us SJ, Super Junior!” Everyone roared in laughter. SM, the eponymous school, was founded by Lee Soo Man. I guess students would crack such jokes about their teachers and headmasters.

“Wow,” I thought to myself. “Exclusive use? These must be the kids whose fathers are the rich tycoons…”

“Is it alright for me to be here, then? Eating with you guys too?” I voiced aloud.

“What are you talking about? What did I bring you here for then? Come on, tuck in!” Sungmin assured me.

I had the most delicious meal in my life. Granted, it was slightly different from my usual fare, no, very different, but everything was of really good quality and I had my fill. I was also fairly entertained throughout the whole of lunch by the boys, as they were quite an entertaining bunch. Sungmin was the one who did the most aegyo of the lot, earning either smiles or eye-rolls. But it seemed like whether he was being cute or cool, he was able to pass it all off. Amazing. Kyuhyun was the witty little maknae, throwing in sharp comments here and there. Ryeowook was quite quiet, but when he did speak he could be sharp like Kyuhyun too. I thought he was quite sweet as well, as he tried to engage me in the conversation. Eunhyuk seemed to be the victim of any bullying they had to do, but it was all done in good banter, of course. It was fun to watch.

When the hour was up, we left for our separate classes. I thanked Sungmin for the lunch.

“Did you enjoy that?” he smiled.

“Yes! The food was great, and I think your friends are lovely,” I told him.

“My friends only?” he pouted.

“Umm…you too!” Sungmin was such an aegyo king, that I just had to laugh aloud.

“You look nice when you laugh. Don’t be reserved,” Sungmin suddenly said. Then he turned around and zoomed off, with me trying to catch up.