May-5-2013

Not a Seoul

 

“Happy Birthday to you,

Happy birthday to you.

Happy birthday dear Roe~

Happy Birthday to you”

“I knew it”

“Knew what?”

“That your twisted little minds were up to something. Admit it which one of you two had the idea to make balloons?”

Mink and Taro both momentarily paused before both simultaneously pointing towards Sooyoung who looked away nervously.

“Unni~ I would have thought you would know better”

“Birthdays should have certain things, balloons are one of them and since we’re all stuck in this cramped van I thought it would be nice to have it decorated nicely. And Luhan thought it was a good idea too”

“YA! Don’t get me involved with this”

“Shut up its presents time” Pinky squealed shoving a prettily wrapped pink parcel under her nose. “This ones from me, Sap, Krystal and Sooyoung”

“Thanks but you really didn’t have to” Roe smiled shyly looking down and the preciously wrapped present. Gently peeling it open she resisted the urge to tear into it because knowing Pinky it was probably something delicate. And she couldn’t have been more correct. Placing the bejewelled silver hair pin into her hair she admired it in the mirror opposite her.

“Do you like it?” Krystal asked quietly having not seen the girl this silent before. She just hoped Pinky was right and she’d picked out a good enough gift.

“I love it so much. Thank you guys!” Roe lunged across the small space of the van to hug the other four girls, disrupting the already delicate sleeping arrangement set out to allow everyone to fit into the van horizontally to sleep… Apart from Kris and Chanyeol. Yeah they had to overlap with a couple of people but if wasn’t too bad.

“Ours next” Chirped Luhan handing over a larger more solid box from the whole of Exo as well as the other three adults who were currently all situated in the front of the van.

“WOAH IT’S HUGE”

“Chanyeol hyung” Kai whispered nudging the elder male who sat with open endearing eyes looking towards the young girl.

Chanyeol broke his gaze from the girl who was unceremoniously using her teeth to try and bite her way through the extra taped up packaging courtesy of Chen who was dying of laughter at the sight.

“What?”

“I hope you made a mental recording of that phrase” Chanyeol looked at the younger questioningly “Because that’s going to be the only time you’ll ever hear her say it” Kai collapsed into laughter at his own joke earning a funny look from Haeng who sat beside him. Chanyeol on the other hand was about to punch the younger in the face when he was stopped by the most angelic sensation he’d ever felt. As Roe squealed in delight she pounced on each of the adults and the Exo members gushing thanks at the gift. Chanyeol turned just in time to be attacked by a warm embrace from the girl who quickly let go all too suddenly for his liking as she returned to the 6ft giant candy coloured teddy bear and snuggled into its soft fur.

“W-What” Chanyeol’s voice cracked a little earning a snicker from Kai beside him “What are you going to call him?”

“I don’t know” Roe replied not even looking up from her new companion “I was thinking of something but I don’t know”

“It doesn’t really matter what you call him as long as you’re happy with it”

“In that case his name is Dean”

“Dean? Isn’t that a boy’s name?”

“Yeah it’s a name that has special meaning to me”

Roe blushed heavily, before attempting to hide it by burying her head into the comforting material. The other five of her original group began cooing and making kissing noises towards the embarrassed girl. The rest were insanely confused at the actions each sending sympathetic gazes towards the sorry figure of Chanyeol. Slumped over slightly he tried and insanely failed to keep the sour expression from his face. Who the hell was this “Dean” guy to make her get all gooey like that? He was probably her boyfriend, yeah that made sense. Why would such a fantastic girl ever be single?

“Hey before you get all giddy and fall asleep with your new best friend you still have our gift to open our gift yet”

“Well hurry up because it’s getting late” The noona interjected before turning around and muttering about how late it already was and why they couldn’t just do all this earlier.

“OK sorry. Here quickly open it and then let’s sleep yeah?” Haeng suggested handing a small cutely wrapped package.

“Mink managed to find it”

“Don’t put the blame on me!” Mink laughed lying down between Chen and Lay, using her arms to leverage herself slightly from the floor.

Roe smiled at her friends and took the parcel thanking them as she did so, before pretty much destroying all layers that sat between her and her gift.

Chanyeol looked up again with a silly forced smile on his face. She was so adorable when she was like this.

“If we weren’t supposed to be asleep right now I would freaking strangle you guys with hugs”

“You like it then?”

“Like it? Does it work?”

“Obviously no internet and it’ll only work for a short amount until the battery’s dead and we need to find a replacement hard drive we don’t really need the memory though it’s just so you know. But once it’s fixed up but yeah it should do”

Everyone in the back of the van was speechless. A laptop? A freaking mostly functioning laptop? How the hell did she manage to sneak that pass all of them? That girl was a freaking ninja!

“Yes yes it’s very impressive now it time for bed”

Without another word the noona had turned off the torch and turned back around. Leaving the 20 kids in the back to organise themselves and get comfortable and eventually fall asleep.

Each person was in one way or another touching two or more people. Chanyeol and Kris took up the majority of the space but made up for it by becoming human pillows for the others, both lying parallel on opposite sides of the van; Kris being used by the makanae lines of the groups present (Kai, Sehun, Krystal, Sap and Tao), Chanyeol by Suho, Baekhyun, Xiumin and Luhan. By their feet lay Mink sandwiched by Chen and Lay of who she seemed to be using as a teddy bear and a pillow with Roe snuggled in the corner. By their heads were the remaining 5. D.O. was leant against the back of the seats closest by Kris’ head. Snuggled up to him were the two tallest females using his lap as a cushion. Beside them was Haeng and Taro, the eldest using the taller as a personal space heater.

 

Chanyeol simply lay there in the darkness, listening to the snores and breathing of those around him. He wanted to sleep but he couldn’t. It wasn’t like they were particularly unsafe, they’d parked in an abandoned houses garage and had decided to try sleeping in van in an attempt to get used to it. For some reason he just couldn’t get comfortable.

“Chanyeol-ah?” Haeng whispered after feeling other shift for the nth time.

“Sorry am I keeping you awake?”

“Yes”

“Sorry”

“It’s alright” Haeng giggled at the completely obvious male “You know who Dean is right?”

“Her boyfriend?”

“She wished” Haeng laughed again, quieting herself after Taro mumbled in her sleep.

“Why?”

“Dean is a character from her favourite TV show. She and Mink argue about it all the time ‘cause Mink likes his brother Sam. They can’t stop fighting over it, it’s a little funny if you bring it up to them”

“Really?” Chanyeol didn’t even pretend to not be pleased with this news. “That’s interesting to know, thanks”

“It’s no problem. After all this is over you should come to one of our nerd sleepovers, we always watch stuff like together, it’s pretty fun.”

“You watch it too?”

“Yeah. That’s why I first agreed to be their mentor, out of all the other exchange students they were the only ones who understood my joke about how I should’ve drawn demon banishing symbols in my own blood when the instructor walked in”

“What?”

“Never mind. Let’s sleep now, yeah?”

“OK, Goodnight”

“Goodnight Chanyeol”

“One more thing?”

“Hm?”

“Whose your favourite then? Sam or Dean?”

“… I like Cas” Haeng said smiling before falling asleep just imagining Chanyeol’s confused face.