It's all in the detail

Doll in the spotlight

Note : Surprise! I found backups that are not half a year old or older....I guess I can work with this though it's said that I lost the full chapters and have to rewrite them now. I'm trying to write them as they were but I'm putting single scenes together and the chapters kind of change now...not that you guys know how they used to be haha So yeah...Doll in the spotlight is back.

 

On Sunday the following week Junhong stepped through Yongguk's front door like he'd done so a million times before.
Yongguk took his jacket and hung it on the rag while Junhong removed his shoes and the causality of it all, the way Yongguk felt like welcoming an old friend rather than one of his models brought a little bounce to his steps as he guided them to the kitchen.

Yongguk's apartment was nothing special, far from special even.
Just a simple two room apartment, one of which served as his bedroom and the other a combination of workspace and living room, acceptably sized kitchen which fit a small couch and coffee table instead of chairs and table and a tiny bathroom, big enough for one person to turn without hitting any of the sanitary.
Junhong seemed impressed never the less, his eyes darted though the rooms, taking in the old and new graphic works Yongguk had made over the years and hung onto his walls for decoration or simply to hide the little cracks in the wallpaper.

 

"Do you want some hot chocolate before we get started?" Yongguk asked when Junhong slid onto the small twoseater couch.

 

Junhong nodded, suspiciously eying the dye pack already placed onto the coffee table.

"I'm sorry you had to come over during the weekend." Yongguk said as he handed a hot mug of chocolate over to the boy.
Junhong just smiled and shock his head.
It almost seemed like Junhong enjoyed being with him on a Sunday afternoon and if Yongguk was honest with himself he was enjoying himself too.
This was far better than grading the recent graphic test he'd held on Friday and hadn't found the time or more correctly the will to correct up until now.
It was wrong, everything about this was wrong, from the way Yongguk payed more attention to Junhong than anyone else, to the fact he let the boy into his apartment but he couldn't care because with Junhong around, ever since he stepped into his classroom all the wrongs seemed to magically turn into rights.
Yongguk still knew that nobody, especially not the school, would agree with him but Junhong was special, he brought back a side to Yongguk he'd thought to long have lost but it was still there and in all honesty Yongguk didn't want to let go of it again.
He'd missed being carefree and doing stupid things, he'd missed being able to talk without having to watch his every word and with Junhong it was possible though Yongguk himself couldn't really tell why, he just knew that's how it was.

He ushered Junhong into the living room soon after their cubs where empty and asked him to sit down on the old worn wood chair he normally used while getting into creative moods.
He placed the dye and supplies neatly next to him on the now for once cleaned table and draped an old towel over Junhong's shoulders.

 

While Yongguk slid his hands into the prepared plastic gloves Junhong took the bottle of dye from the table, twisting it in his hand.
 

"Why does this say platinum?"

Junhong questioned with a puzzled expression on his face, eyes blinking at full speed.
Yongguk took a step forward, grabbing the bottle from the boy's hand to unscrew it.
Pouring the strong smelling liquid into a small black plastic pot he turned the bottle in his hand to recheck the instructions.
"Because you're not getting dark hair today." he replied casually and started to mix in another more creamy looking liquid.
Junhong cocked an eyebrow but refrained from asking for any further explanation.

 

Yongguk dipped his plastic glove covered hands into the pot, taking out a good amount of hair dye.
Without further instruction Junhong straightened on the chair, leaning back comfortably on the rest before tilting his head back a little.
The younger boy closed his eyes as Yongguk started to apply the biting liquid onto his hair, softly massaging it into his pink locks as he evenly spread the substance.

His hands combed through the other's hair carefully, strand after strand of pink getting covered by the dye.
He couldn't bring himself to dye Junhong's hair into stereotyped black and Yongguk knew Jiyong would welcome his decision, at least that's what he hoped for.
Certainly the headmaster and even more Mrs. Komlova wouldn't agree but Yongguk felt like the extravagant hair was part of Junhong, something he couldn't just to take from the boy.


He ordered Junhong to rest his chin on his chest to gain better access to the others hairline.
His fingers traveled over the soft strands of baby hair at the back of his head, carefully aiming to apply the liquid to all the remaining pink locks.
A little quiet purr escaped Junhongs lips as Yongguk softly massaged the color into the strands lining at his nape.
He held his breath for a second, a weird ticklish sensation swelling in his chest at the unfamiliar sound he'd emitted.
Junhong simply hoped for it to go unnoticed by the older male.

Yongguk however heard the soft delicate sound, but opted to not question the younger boy and instead repeated his action once more evoking another quiet mewl from him.
He smiled to himself as his eyes fixed on Junhong's neck, the joints of his spine visibly lining under his pale skin.
The pads of his thumbs drew little circles over the boys sour muscles on his hairline applying a little more pressure than necessary.
His action of simply applying hair dye shifted, his hands now overtly massaging the other's scalp with skilful fingers instead.
Junhong noticeably relaxed under his touch, a soft sigh drawing from his lips as Yongguk let both his thumbs run over the line of hair next to Junhong's ears with pleasant pressure.
Yongguk felt like keeping up this ministration for a lot longer as his fingers traced Junhong's hairline.
He found himself picturing the feeling of letting his hands run over the expansion of Junhong's neck and onto his shoulders, figuring the sound Junhong might emit under his attentive touch.

His hands halted their motion and he swallowed hard as a faint warmth spread in his chest, his eyes losing their focus, just blankly staring at the surface of porcelain skin under his fingers.

"Are you done hyung?" Junhong's voice cut through the silence and Yongguk snapped out of his distant thought.
He stepped back from the boy and removed the gloves from his hands not daring to look at Junhong for the moment.

"Yes all done." he managed to utter and Junhong straightened on the chair, stretching his arms above his head.
"Thanks hyung."

 

Yongguk walked ahead back into the kitchen, his mind clouded by the thought he's just had.

It wasn't ual and Yongguk was thankful that he could say so with certainty, it was just that the way Junhong relaxed under his touch and the soft noises he emitted were so content that he wanted the younger to keep that calm for a while longer.
He knew the whole model thing was taking its toll on the boy and Yongguk wanted to take some of the burden off his shoulders if he could.

The both of them sank down onto the small couch and Yongguk made sure to leave Junhong enough space to sit comfortable.
The radio played quietly in the background, the sound going almost unnoticed by Yongguk, too used to the soft tunes playing whenever he was at home.
Junhong though kept nodding his head to the music, sometimes humming along and it made Yongguk's lips stretch into a soft smile.

"It's only 30 minutes until you get to wash it out." He stated for the sake of saying anything and Junhong hummed.

It had been a long time since the CAD teacher had had the time to just sit in his kitchen and listen to the music with a cup of hot beverage in hand and right in this moment he felt just how much he'd missed it.
The calm, the quiet, the content warmth settling in his stomach it was Junhong's influence that lead to it and he was thankful that the bubblegum haired boy had stepped into his life to bring back the things he'd long forgotten.
Yongguk's eyes lingered on the boy's form as the thoughts ran trough his head while Junhong let his gaze travel trough the small, improvised kitchen.

There was so much about Junhong that Yongguk didn't know and the thought of wanting to know more was confusing but exciting never the less.
He knew Junhong would shine on the runway, he'd seen the determination, the spark of something in the boy's eyes and he wanted to be there to share that moment of glory with him.
He was glad Junhong had chosen to step into his office for the audition but he still wondered why.

Yongguk let the question linger on the tip of his tongue trying to taste it's extend before uttering it.
It seemed to be some kind of sensitive topic and so Yongguk thought twice about his position to ask about more personal matters.

“So…if Kim Himchan is your brother why didn’t you apply at his agency?”

“He doesn’t know I’m doing this.” Junhong responded faster than Yongguk would have guessed.
The younger hung his head, eyes fixed on his feet as he picked at a loose tread on his sock.
“Nobody knows actually.” He added and Yongguk frowned, feeling the topic was more complex than he’d thought.
“So why do you do this then? Modeling and all?”
Junhong shook his head and remained silent.
“Your parents don’t know you’re doing this?”
Another shake of his head.
Yongguk sighed in frustration, crossing his arms in front of his chest.
Silence hung in the air, thick and slightly suffocating and Yongguk scratched his head awkwardly trying to come up with anything to say that would lighten up the mood.

Junhong there while let his mind wander, trying to find the right words to explain a reason that wasn't all that clear to him either.


"I want to do this on my own you know..." was the first explanation that passed his lips and the older boy lifted his head to look at him.
Junhong's eye gazed off into the distance, his hands clasped together handing in between his legs.
Yongguk could tell he was thinking, determining what else to say and he waited patiently while studying the boys features.
His eyes seemed so far away, looking at nothing but the pictures withing his head, he rolled his bottom lip between his teeth.
"I love my brother....I miss him" he said with a sigh.
"I really think he's cool, Himchan is...amazing."
Yongguk just sat there listening as Junhong talked, the obvious admiration for his top model bother clear in his voice but accompanied by something else that the graphic teacher couldn't put his finger on.
He figured it might be a tad of sadness that swung in the boys words.

Junhong left it at that, sipping on his almost empty cup of chocolate instead of offering Yongguk a further explanation.

 

He cleared his throat the moment the silence seemed to turn uncomfortable and put on his brightest smile despite the worry for Junhong raging in his head.

"Do you want another chocolate until the dye is done?" He asked and for the moment the smile Junhong returned as he nodded was enough to make Yongguk feel like it was best not to poke into the topic further, for now.

 


As soon as the timer on Yongguk's phone went off he handed Junhong an old towel and send him of to the bathroom.
It was weird but he was nervous.
He'd decided to turn Junhong's pink locks into a soft platinum blond on impulse but now he wasn't too sure Junhong would like it as much as Yongguk anticipated it.

 

He sat in the kitchen while Junhong rinsed his hair and for a while the only thing Yongguk could hear was the sound of running water and then the muffled buzz of the hairdryer.

 

When Junhong retreated from the bathroom the towel was draped over his head, his expression stone cold and blank and Yongguk's heart sank at the sight.
He swallowed hard, waiting for Junhong to expose his new hair color and more over show a readable expression on his face, hopefully one that wouldn't make Yongguk's blood run cold.
Junhong came to stand in front of him, lips already twitching as he grabbed the towels edge.
He pulled the towel off and a bright smile molded onto his lips in an instant.
The boy ran his own hand through the blond mob atop his head,ruffling it just a little.
It was dyed all flat onto his scalp and a little fuzzy from the heat but Yongguk's breath got caught in his throat anyway.
Junhong looked so different already.
His cheeks still had their slightly chubby appearance, a thin red tint decorating them but his eyes seemed to sparkle just a tad more and the platinum hair accented his dark orbs even more than the pink had ever done.
The young model looked at least one if not two years older, more like the 18 year old Yongguk had made him out to be in front of everyone.
Junhong shook his head, letting the blond strands fly left and right and all Yongguk could do was watch the boy.

"Hyung this is awesome." He said still tugging at some strands and rolling his eyes up to gaze at his fringe.
Yongguk chuckled a little and his signature smile formed on his lips.
"Glad you like it." he grinned and Junhong gave him a thumbs up.

The boy slid down next to him once more, one hand still running through his hair with amazement the other searching through his jeans pocket before withdrawing his mobile phone.

 

"Hyung, can we take a picture?" Junhong asked and Yongguk took a moment before grabbing the phone from Junhong's hand to snap a shoot of the boy.
Junhong shook his head.
"No you gotta be in it to." He said and Yongguk felt his windpipe tighten when Junhong shifted closer to him.
This was probably one more thing the CAD teacher wasn't supposed to do, just another point on a very long list.
He held the phone over their heads and Junhong shook the bangs out of his eyes.

"Here goes...one...two...tree!" The artificial shutter sound went off and Junhong took the phone back.
The boy opened the picture to examine Yongguk's work before looking up at him and grinning.

"You need to send that one to me." Yongguk heard himself say and Junhong's grin only grew wider.
"Sure hyung." the boy beamed and Yongguk stared at him, just kept his eyes roaming over the boy's features similar to how he'd done the first time they met.

 

His limbs moved on their own accord as his hand reached out to brush a loose stand of Junhong's hair back into place.

The boy looked up to him, the bright smile slowly flattering into a quizzical curve.

Yongguk's hand lingered next to Junhong's cheek but he didn't dare to touch the boy, he wasn't even sure of what he was doing exactly.
Junhong was special, no matter what anyone else said.

Big brown eyes blinked at him one time, two times as the warmth of Junhong's cheeks radiated of onto Yongguk's palm and subsided onto his skin.

"Hyung..." Junhong's voice came out as nothing more than a soft whisper and Yongguk snapped out of his trance to the sound of it.

His hand dropped to his side and he smiled at Junhong awkwardly before clearly his throat.

He was about to say something, anything to clear the air of the sudden awkward tension but with Junhong's eyes still fixed on him it was hard to come up with helpful sentences.

The couch dipped a little when Junhong lifted one of his legs up the cushion, shifting a mere inch closer to the older male.

Yongguk watched him but didn't move when Junhong's head dropped onto his shoulder, his now blond stands tickling his neck.

Junhong didn't say anything and Yongguk was just too occupied with the boy's body pressing against his side that he couldn't ask for an explanation.

He inhaled deeply with the thought of clearing his head but the scent of his own shampoo filled his nostrils and he swallowed.

This was the moment where all the red lights he'd seen already flashed in his head at once, big stop signs appearing in his head, sirens going off and Yongguk knew he shouldn't ignore any of them any longer.
He cleared his throat but Junhong remained in his position only hummed quietly and Yongguk felt a soft, fond smile tugging at his lips.

"It's not long until the show." He said into the soft radio tunes playing in the background.
Junhong hummed again.

"I donno if I said it before but thank you, hyung." Junhong mumbled and Yongguk could feel his heart swell.
He reached up to ruffle Junhong's hair a little.

"No biggi." he said and wondered for a moment who was actually supposed to thank who in this weird constellation.