One not so plain face

Doll in the spotlight

 

Note : OMG I actually wrote the 1st chapter right after deciding on the storyline...I hope you enjoy this and please leave comments! Tell me what you think of it. 

 

Yongguk sighed as he leant back in his chair, exhaling a long tired breath.
He groaned a little rubbing his temples with the tips of his fingers.
His back ached and he was tired.
He raised his arm above his head to check his watch, noting it was 4 pm by now and there was only one more hour he had to stay in the art room waiting for potential models to walk through the door.
He was more than grateful for the little time remaining.
Five days of the week, from 11am - 5pm he had been bound to sit in this room, welcoming all kinds of pretty but plain faces.
Spending hour after hour with asking questions, examine features and making people run up and down the room for him to judge.
Today was the last day and he couldn’t wait for this torture to be over.
He still couldn’t figure how anyone had thought of letting him be in charge of the model castings for this year’s final runway show.
Maybe it was because this task was such a bore that they needed to put someone like him to do it.

He was a god damn graphic teacher! Not a model scout!
And still he here was, with a list of strict requirements for the models.
At least it was a rather easy task.
All he had to do was to judge people by their looks, see if they were able to walk and then add them to the index or send them home without further ado.
He’d been present at enough of these castings before to know what the headmaster and design tutors were looking for but during those times he’d been in charge of the paper work instead of decision making. 
It was an understatement to say he was burdened by the responsibility of picking models though he’d quickly gotten the drill of it.
However he was bothered by sorting out people like objects and bored to the core from the ever reappearing kind of people.
Pretty? Yes.
Interesting? No.
They were all the same, shallow and boring with a pretty face to cover it up.

Yongguk hung his head.
With only one hour left he finally saw the light at the end of this tunnel.

He grabbed the cup of coffee and drowned the last bits of the now cold liquid before taking out a biscuit snack from his drawer.
He munched on the paper dry substitute of a meal when a sudden knock on the door made him straighten his posture and hurriedly brush off the crumbs from his shirt.

He cleared his throat and dropped the biscuit remains into the drawer.

“Come in.” he said with an overly friendly tone.
The door opened slowly and the first thing Yongguk noticed was a mob of pink curly hair.
He cocked his head at the sight.
Now that was something he hadn’t seen before.

“Good Afternoon.” The voice of a boy filled the room as the other bowed to him and Yongguk raised an eyebrow.
For that pink soft mess to belong to a male was what he’d least expected but then again the person had been too tall for a girl anyways.
He smiled a little as the boy straightened again and gestured him over.

“Hello what’s your name?” He asked, still being friendly despite his ache and tiredness.

The pink haired boy walked over and dropped his backpack off his shoulder.
Yongguk eyed him as he pulled back the chair in front of his table.
“Choi Junhong.” He replied while taking a seat. 

“So I guess you’re here for the audition.” Yongguk stated though it was obvious, why else would anyone end up here.
Junhong nodded.
“Yes please I really want to model.” He spoke hastily, his words almost mingling together as he phrased them.

Yongguk had to bite back an amused chuckle.
This boy was different from the others who’d walked through his door before.
Normally the people who came in here were rather full of themselves, overly self-confident and well arrogant in a way.
Junhong on his part seemed rather nervous and somehow Yongguk found it amusing and somewhat refreshing.

“Have you modeled before?” Yongguk asked and watched the boy blink shyly a couple of times.

“No.” He answered, shaking his head along as he spoke.

Yongguk nodded and was about to ask his height though he could already tell the other was tall enough to fit the standard, probably even surpassing it by a couple inches but Junhong was faster to speak.
 

“I really want to work for you. I’m 182 cm! 63 kg!” once again the boy spoke pretty fast and Yongguk couldn’t help but let a quiet chuckle shake his body.

He looked the boy up and down once more.
He did have the height to go on the runway but there was something about him that urged Yongguk to decline him right away.
He was a character.
First of because of his cotton candy colored hair but it wasn’t only that, he had an aura that grabbed your attention something so full of energy, radiating from every fiber of his body.
He was charismatic, captivating to say the least and it wasn’t what Yongguk was instructed to recruit.
The school wanted plain dolls, tall with a pretty face and a slender if not alarming thin frame, there was no use for character.
Sometimes Yongguk wondered why they didn’t roll lifeless mannequins over the runway.
 

“I’m afraid we’ll have to dye your hair if you want to participate in the show…”
Yongguk said, flipping through the list of line ups.
The young boy nodded.
“If it just that.” He replied with no hesitation.
Yongguk looked up from his papers fixing his eyes on the boy in front of him.
He had a deadly pretty face.
Yongguk had seen many pretty faces by now but Junhongs was something.
Somewhere caught between defined and immature, slightly chubby cheeks that didn’t disturb his features but rather worked to his advantage.
His eyes were big and round, sparkling with childlike naivety but hinted a sense of will power and confidence.
Yongguks eyes scanned the others face, every detail of it to find a flaw that did not exist.
His nose was well defined, small and cute and his plum pouty lips curved beautifully, drawing cheeky smiles just as perfectly as honest ones.
In Yongguks definition of beauty, this boy in front of him outshined any of the boys and a good amount of girls he’d seen before.
He cleared his throat and scratched the back of his neck.
He was probably getting himself in deep trouble if he were to pass the boy through the audition but his sentiments outweighed his rationality.

He tapped the pen in his hand onto the table, thinking through his decision.
It was taking a risk to even consider giving Junhong a go and there was a high possibility of the boy getting kicked out of the index as soon as he added him in bringing along long deliberations from the headmaster on the importance of his job.
However Yongguk had long been tired with all the plain faces of characterless and replaceable creatures.
They could damn well deal with a little color and he wasn’t even referring to the boy’s hair with that thought.

“Ok…walk.” He ordered and Junhong looked at him with confusion displayed on his handsome face.
“Excuse me?” He asked and Yongguk could already tell that finding explainable reasons for adding Junhong to the index would be like finding a needle in a haystack.

“You need to walk for me. I need to see if you’re capable of walking down a runway.”
Yongguk explained in a soft voice and Junhong nodded.

He rose off the chair and glanced around the room a little helplessly.
“You can just walk from the table to the wall in the back. Make a turn when you get there. When you walk up to me go left and right and pose for a second then come back to the middle.”
Yongguks voice was quiet and soft though its deep tone and huskiness remained.
He just wanted to encourage the boy a little.
He send him a short smile then pressed the power button on the small portable CD player on the table.
“For now just try to walk on beat.” He said though he knew that was not even close to what was normally needed to pass the audition.
Junhong nodded, a little quiet -Ok- passing his lips and Yongguk smiled again nodding back at him before pressing the play button.
The CD started playing and Junhong set into motion, a couple seconds late on the first beats but Yongguk brushed it of as Junhong being caught off guard by the sudden set in of music.
The older watched as Junhong moved down the room, he was perfectly on beat now and his frame from soles to shoulders looked sufficient enough thought Yongguk had to note the way Junhong kept his head hanging all the way until he reached the wall on the other side.
When the boy turned around Yongguk fixed him with his eyes.
“Be proud! You’re in the spotlight.” He advised, emphasizing the -you- in his sentence.
Junhongs posture straightened, his head snapped up and chin rose.
His body language transformed as his gaze went up front and Yongguk noted the change with satisfaction.
The boys eyes narrowed just a little, gaze turned firmer until a hint of arrogance and dignity flashed up in them.
Yongguk nodded as the other walked up to him, two steps to the left, a little halt and his head rising just a notch, he turned, tree steps to the right and a slight tilt of his head, he turned again and a moment later stood in front of Yongguk.
The music stopped and the boy’s face changed with its disappearance.
His big round eyes were back to look at Yongguk in anticipation, he nervously graced his teeth over his bottom lip and furrowed his brows.
Yongguk held out his hand gesturing for him to sit down again.
The boy needed training, Yongguk knew that too well but what he’d seen was enough to make him want to send Junhong down that god damn runway and show all those fake dolls what real beauty was.

“Say Junhong…why do you want to do this so badly?”  He asked without giving the boy the awaited feedback.
It wasn’t a necessary question but Yongguk was curious.
Normally models walked in either for the money or a short moment of fame, most of them he send home because they’d fall through the schools standard definition of beauty anyway and they left, mostly not without a little tantrum and drama but he could tell Junhong was more than determined to stay.

“My brother…” was all he said and Yongguk just cocked an eyebrow.
“Your brother?”
“Yes…”
The older cocked his head.
This answer was not what he’d expected, let alone anything he understood.
“Why is he the reason?” he asked.
“My brother is…he’s Kim Himchan.” The boy stated and Yongguks eyes grew to the size of truck tires.
“Are you kidding me?” He burst out in disbelieve maybe a little too loud as the boy in front of him flinched.
Junhong shook his head.
Kim Himchan was a name that even Bang Yongguk couldn’t pass without acknowledging.
He was probably the most renowned model in Korea at the present time.
It was nearly impossible to live in this country, let alone work at a fashion school without coming across his name and pictures.
Yongguk had to admit, Kim Himchan was also something.
Compared to the models he was instructed to cast Himchan had a wide range of expressions, outstanding features and well there was a reason why he was on top of the model business.
There was probably no shoot that guy hadn’t done yet. 

“He’s not…we’re not…” Junhong kept stuttering and Yongguk tried to follow with what he tried to tell him.
He watched the younger squirm on the chair, shifting left and right while playing with the strings of his hoodie.
“We’re step brothers.” He managed to press out between his teeth and Yongguk just nodded.
At least that explained the missing resemblance.

“Well….” Yongguk said followed by a long exhale of air.
“I don’t really care who your brother is but…” he cut his sentence, debating for a moment whether he was really going to do what he was about to.
Junhong looked at him with furrowed brows, in his bottom lip while his eyes spoke a very different language from his body.
His gaze was strong, determined and filled with confidence, whether it was real or self-defensive show Yongguk couldn’t tell.
“I’d like to add you to the index if you’re willing to work with us.” He finished his sentence watching as Junhongs eyes widened and I big joyful smile spread on his lips reaching all the way to his eyes.
“Thank you!” he exclaimed jumping off the chain and bowing to the older almost hectically.
“Ok! Ok! Stop that!” Yongguk laughed and Junhong bowed another two times before taking his seat again.

Yongguk roamed his folders in search for the necessary papers to be filled and some to hand to Junhong.
He handed him a sheet to fill out with standard information like his name, phone number, address and a couple first information on his build like his height and shoe size.
The second paper he handed him was a list of appointments the boy would have to attend until the show, fittings, runway trainings and the like.
Junhong skimmed the paper then shoved it into his backpack.

“You will have to come in again so we can take your measurements. Normally we’d be doing it now but the design tutors are not in and I got to admit I have no idea how to do those things.”
Yongguk chuckled at the end of the sentence and Junhong smiled back at him holding up his hand to do an ok sign while nodding happily.
This boy was something; he really was, especially now that he seemed more comfortable after being accepted.
The smile plastered to his face was purely adorable and his actions made Yongguk smile along with him naturally.

“So we’ll meet again on Monday at 1pm if that’s alright with you.”
Yongguk said and the boy nodded, grabbing a pen of the table to scribble the date down onto his arm.
Yongguk air in through his teeth, biting down on his tongue not to scold Junhong like some of his colleagues would have done.
He was glad no one was around to see the boy note “such an important appointment” onto his skin.
Junhong raised his head, a bright smile still present on his lips, eyes glistering with joy.

He grabbed the backpack of the floor and threw it over his shoulder.
He bowed again, then waved and Yongguk had to fight a chuckle from escaping his lips.
Junhong wished him a nice weekend and almost bounced on his feet as he walked towards the door.
The boy was almost out the door when Yongguks head shot up and he called after him.
Junhong turned around a little frown present on his face.

“Excuse me but I need to ask this. How old are you?” Yongguk asked, trying to find the admission form he’d already put somewhere into the piles of papers in his desk. 
He’d totally forgotten to ask that question though he’d been explicitly instructed to not accept models beyond the age of 18.
The simple reason to that was that underage models weren’t reliable and also the school had had experiences with coming into conflicts with parent for letting their children hit the runway in too revealing clothes.

“I’m 16” The boy replied and Yongguk sighed, he rubbed the bridge of his nose between thumb and forefinger and knitted his eyebrows.
“You’re getting me in trouble kid.” He said and shook his head.
Junhong was looking at him, big brown eyes staring back at him begging and despaired.

Yongguk shook his head again the sight made his heart melt for no further reason.
“Alright alright…but outside these four walls you’re officially 18 years old you got that?”
He said and the boy’s lips spread into a big, bright smile once more.
He nodded his head excessively.
“Yes! Yes! Thank you so much.”
And then he was gone and Yongguk was left roaming his drawers for a bottle of tip ex to fix the boys birthdate on his form.
He was digging his own grave but still he couldn’t help smiling to himself.