Glamorous with a pinch of uneasiness

Doll in the spotlight

 

Junhong stood lost in the corner of the backstage area right next to the empty racks watching the scene unfurling in front of him. 
No one really paid attention to him as he swayed forth and back on his feet, one ear bud stuck in his ear drowning his bored mind in classic hip-hop beats.
By now he was certain that the whole model business consisted of nothing more than waiting especially when the designer you were assigned to was preoccupied and for the moment that was obviously the case.
Jiyong was pacing up and down, his arms hanging to his sides but Junhong could see his biceps flexed underneath his expensive looking black shirt.
The student had his hands balled into fists, the heavy rings digging into his palms while his knuckles turned white.
He wasn't quite sure what was going on or why Jiyong’s cheeks burned up in that deep red color, brows furrowed and eyes narrowed.
The other boy was way too far from where he was standing for him to pick up any of the words that dropped off his lips and the little uneasy feeling started occupying his stomach once more.
Everyone kind of seemed to avoid the boy as he growled lowly and shook his head.
The other models were standing at a good 20 feet distance to the student on the other side of the backstage area and Junhong just didn't dare walk pass the young designer to join them.

The knot in Junhongs stomach tightened on the sound of Jiyong’s growling, the small boy was furious.
Junhong looked around, hopeful to find a familiar face.
He hadn't seen Yongguk since he'd stepped into the building, wasn't even sure if the graphic teacher was even there yet or not and his eyes flickered to the door in the vague hope of seeing the older male step through the entrance.
After watching the door for a couple of minutes his eyes scanned the room for Minhyun instead but the friendly model was nowhere to be seen.

The only eyes he caught as his gaze travelled through the room were those of Jaehyo glaring at him.
Junhong almost rolled his eyes as the older model pierced him with his stare.
The first time he'd been looked at like that he'd felt small and out of place, now it was just hilarious and irritating to be glared at by someone he barely knew.

He sighed and looked back at the designer who was standing alone next to the stage exit.
Jiyong was running one hand through his hair, biting down onto his bottom lip and Junhong almost waited for him to let an angry yell drop from his lips within the next couple of seconds when a tall black shadow rushed pass him.
The shadow approached the furious boy, resting a hand on his shoulder and Junhong finally recognized the figure as Seunghyun.
He watched as the taller of the two tried to talk some sense and calm into the young designer.
His low deep voice seemed to be quiet and steady as he spoke, his eyes attentive to any thin reaction displaying on Jiyong’s face.
Junhong could tell the boy started to calm down though his knuckles still maintained their calk white color.
"That's a common sight." an even deeper voice than the one he'd tried to eavesdrop on sounded right next to him.
Junhong turned to find Yongguk standing to his left with an amused smirk playing on his lips.
His blond hair looked disheveled like he just drop out of bed, the white shirt he wore was slightly crinkled while the vest atop wrapped perfectly around his chest.
Junhong's lips molded into a soft smile as he noticed the faint red tint on Yongguks cheeks.
He was more than certain that the graphic teacher had overslept but refrained for phrasing his assumptions. 
"You want something to drink while Jiyong gets his act together?"
The elder questioned and Junhong almost snickered, his pink locks bouncing on his head as he nodded.
 He watched a gummy smile appear on Yongguks lips and the knot in his stomach almost magically untangled when the other placed his hand on his shoulder to guide him out into the stairway.
 

Yongguk lead the way though the ups and downs of stairs inside the huge building and even though he tried to explain Junhong the structure of the two towers inside the building and various ways to get around the younger couldn't help but feel like he'd get lost on his own.

The corridors all looked the same to him, plain white walls and wooden moos green doors at the sides with little signs attached to their frames.
A couple more stairs and down a rather slim hallway they stopped in front of a beverage vending machine.
Junhong let his eyes travel deciding that he was more than glad to have Yongguk by his side, he was totally lost.
Yongguk drew a couple coins from his black jeans and tossed them into the slit, pressing a few buttons and the machine started to rumble.

Junhong stood next to the other, eyes scanning over the colorful label displays to decide on a drink when Yongguk turned to him.

"I'm sorry I will tread you to something better next time." He said holding out a can of soda.
Junhong took the can, turning it in his hand he decided to keep the fact that the elder had actually picked his favorite flavor a secret and just smiled at him instead.
"This is perfect hyung." He replied while Yongguk punched the buttons anew.

He took the beverage out from behind the flap and grinned.
The sound of Junhong calling him Hyung made his chest swell with a new kind of pride and warmth.

"So have you been waiting for long?" He asked and Junhong gazed at his watch.
"About a quarter hour actually." the boy stated truthfully and Yongguk looked genuine apologetic.
 

"It's not always like this..." He started to explain but cleared his throat and send a little smile in Junhongs direction.
He rubbed the back of his neck, his nose crinkling slightly as he looked at the can in his hand.

"Actually it's more often like this than it's not but I'll make sure to be here earlier next time so we can suffer together."
He said and Junhong laughed, the sound of his clear, honest laughter resonating in the hallway and Yongguks lips rebuild the constant smile that seemed to be glued to his lips whenever Junhong was around.


"I'll take you up on that!"

 


The backstage area had turned more hectically when they stepped back in, a voice rung from the speakers, some lights flickered behind the thick black curtains that separated the area from the runway and right in the middle Jiyong stood with a calm but concentrated expression on his face.

"Seems like the storm's over." Yongguk said and took the empty can from Junhongs hand to toss it into the disposal.
The younger stood unmoving as his eyes roamed the scene in front of him wondering how the busy atmosphere was supposed to be the calm after the storm.
He felt someone pat his back and turned to see Minhyun standing next to him smiling his ever happy smile.
"Candy floss!" he addressed Junhong who crinkled his nose in aversion to the new nickname.
A low short chuckle escaped Yongguks throat and Junhong send him a quick glare, his lips curved into a sore pout. 
"You ready?" Minhyun asked and Junhong nodded, taking the hand that still lingered where Minhyun had placed it off his shoulder but not without a small smile playing on his lips.
Within seconds Minhyun had grabbed his wrist instead and dragged him towards the stage.
Junhongs head turned back to where Yongguk was standing his eyes searching Yongguks for a little encouragement because even though he'd agreed to be ready, Junhong had no idea what ready meant.
The graphic teacher smiled at him, a big genuine smile, exposing his pearly white teeth and he mouth something that Junhong could only vaguely make out as -Have fun- before Minhyun dragged him pass the black curtain.
 

Jiyong was standing in the middle of the runway, snap folder in hand.
His eyes roamed the models circling around him pointing this finger at each one as he counted them.
He nodded and raised his hand towards the lighting engineering where the guy behind the table immediately rearranged the light setting.
Junhong could already feel the Goosebumps spread over his skin just from standing on stage watching as Jiyong organized minor details.


"I'll introduce you to the choreography now so all of you listen closely." He said and the models nodded.
"Junhong here will take Tao's spot just so you know." The student added and pointed at Junhong who tried to crack a small smile but failed at the blood rushed through his veins.

He blinked a couple of times as Jiyong’s announcement sunk in.
"I'm taking someone’s spot?" he whispered more to himself than anyone but Minhyun caught up on his words.
The slim boy leant in a little, his eyes still fixed on Jiyong as he kept explaining the line-up order.
"Jiyong took Tao off the line-up so you could join but he's still on someone else’s show now so don't worry." 
He explained in a low voice.
Junhongs brows furrowed at the new information.

He felt uncomfortable knowing he'd taken someone else’s spot, even though he was glad to be on Joying’s show it just didn't feel right to have someone else removed for his favor.
His eyes searched the area trying to spot Yongguk to ask him on the matter as soon as the first walk was over but he couldn't spot the graphic teacher.
Instead his eyes passed Jaehyo standing on the other side of the runway, shooting daggers in his direction.
Junhong rolled his eye and nudged Minhyun into the rips.
"Why does that guy obviously want to rip my head off?" He questioned, his head nodding slighting in Jaehyo's direction and Minhyun giggled.
Someone shushed him from the side and he dropped silent again.
"He's friends with Tao and they're like a golden pair on the runway. I guess he's pissed he's doing it alone this time." The feminine boy explained in a hushed voice.
Junhong nodded and hummed and Minhyun snickered.
"Tao doesn't care he's just doing it because Jaehyo made him anyway, he's not into modeling." The brown-haired boy added and Junhong sighed but nodded again.
His eyes flickered back over to where Jaehyo was standing with a now concentrated expression on his face as he listened to Jiyong.
He couldn't help the knot returning to his stomach or the feeling of being out of place in between all the tall handsome boys and girls.
For a moment he wondered if all of this had been a good idea.
It was almost like he was the new kid in class that everyone eyed curiously wondering whether he's worth liking or not but what was way worse was the feeling of pressure pushing down on his shoulders.
Now that he was officially a part of Jiyong’s show he had to do well, he had to do perfect to not ruin the presentation for the designer or create trouble for the other models.
He drew a deep breath trying to calm his inner riot and tried to concentrate on Jiyong’s explanations instead.

The choreography was really simple.
A straight walk up to the edge, pose and turn and after that they got send out in couples with the same routine only that they had to switch sides and walk pass the next couple that walked in after them.
It was easy and that fact calmed Junhongs nerves a little, he could do a straight walk, he'd danced worse routines back in his first year of high school.

Jiyong send them off to put on the shoes they’d be wearing during the show announcing they'd be starting their first rehearsal in about 5 minutes.
They all stepped back behind the black curtains and Junhongs eyes searched for Yongguk the instant he passed by the heavy fabric.

He was gazing through the area when someone patted his shoulder.
Junhong flinched.
"You good?" a deep husky voice asked and the tension in Junhong’s muscles lifted a little to the sound of the familiar voice.
A heavy exhale of breath left his lips and he turned around.
Yongguk smiled at him, one hand still lingering on his shoulder and holding a pair of black dress shoes in the other.
"I'm just nervous." Junhong stated truthfully and the elder’s warm hand gave him an assuring squeeze.
"You'll do well Junhong." he said with confidence in his voice and the boy nodded, though not quite convinced.

Junhong put on the shoes and cursed himself for his choice of clothing for the day.
The black shiny leader shoes did in no way match with the pair of blue baggy jeans he was wearing or the yellow hood that was cladding his torso.
Everyone else was clad in more or less elegant attire, with slim black denims and white dress shirts or tight black T-Shirts, they looked fabulous whereas he looked like a street bum who'd snatched a pair of dress shoes from a by passing business man.
Yongguk's suppressed giggle flowed through the air and Junhong could feel the warmth of embarrassed red tint spread on his cheeks.
"Are you indicating I look ridiculous?" He asked a little snippier than he'd intended to but luckily Yongguk's lips only drew a small smile in respond.
"Not more than I would." He answered and his hand came to rest at the small of Junhongs back to direct him towards the line of models.
"Let's get you to your spot" he said and Junhong felt the slight calm that seemed to spread out though his body from the spot where Yongguks hand lingered.
 

 

Jiyong was shouting directions from the side and Junhong couldn't help the nervous tingle that crawled through his veins.

He was standing in line feeling a little lost and alone waiting along with people he'd never talked to before.
He couldn't see what was going on on the runway, there were no monitors for him to orientate and all he could do was to trust for the broad shouldered guy with short hair and stubbles to send him out when it was his turn.
The beat of the music was crawling through the cells of his body and he counted down the models that walked off before him, coming up with names for them in his head, red-head, grumpy dude, doll face, broomstick.
It was easier to keep track of how far they were into the show when he knew who was on the runway at that moment. 

"You're off beat!" The designer’s voice rung through the air and Junhong swallowed though he was still just standing in line waiting for his signal to step out.
"Faster! More strength to your shoulders!"
He heard the student yell and the clapping of his hands to the beat trying to make it easier for the girl who'd just stepped out in front of him.
Junhongs eyes fixed on the other side of the stage where Yongguk was standing with his arms crossed, a bright gummy smile plastered to his face.
When their eyes met the elder gave him a thumb's up and only a second later Junhong felt a tap on his shoulder indicating him to step on the runway.
It took 3 steps with closed eyes and a moment to drown in the beat of the song before his feet met the white runway area.
His head shot up and he drowned out the noise of Jiyong's clapping, ignored the twisting knot in his stomach as he set on foot in front of the other.
The follower spotlight was bright and he kept telling himself not to squint his eyes at the sting of light.
He was sure his expression was off with his lips sealed tightly and muscles tense but he was definitely on beat and his posture was upright.
When the edge of the runway got closer the tension got more intense, he posed or rather stood still gazing off into the distance.
He counted to three and turned around.
His eyes met Jiyong’s that were fixed on him, his head crooked to the side eyebrows furrowed.
The critical expression on his face made the hairs on his arms rise.
"Your facial expression indicates you had lemons for breakfast..." the student pointed out and crossed his arms in front of his chest, head swinging back to look at Yongguk.
"His feet do excellent work but I can't see what you talked about."
Junhong reached the end of the runway and shot Yongguk a quizzical look over his shoulder before dashing down a couple of stairs to run though the small alley behind the runway and get back to his start position on the left side of the runway.

 

His heart was throbbing against the walls of his ribcage.
He stared towards the other end of the runway waiting for "Lara“ to come into sight.
They were paired in male-female couples and he'd been assigned to walk with a tall, beautiful, Caucasian girl whose facial features were sharp, with perfectly shaped pushy lips and fierce eyes.
Here hair was a light brown, reaching almost mid-waist and her body was toned, with a flat belly and muscular thighs.
He'd called her "Lara" because she was the exact version of how he imagined Lara Croft to look in real life, not the Angelina Jolie version but his very own personal version of a tall, strong and stunning woman.
It was an understatement to say he felt nervous about being her partner.
Minhyun was standing in line at the other side and waved at him frantically, a big smile on his face as he bounced from one leg to the other.
Junhong snickered but waved back shortly.
Watching Minhyun being all dorky as he waited for his cue made him feel just a little more calm about having to step out on the runway again.
"Lara" came into sight and he straightened his back, holding his breath while getting drowned in the music.
He felt his shoulder being tapped and set off.

One step, two steps Go!

He turned towards the runway, head held high as "Lara" did the same.
The both started off with their right foot, perfectly in sync as they walked down the runway, feet hitting every beat perfectly.
The corners of his lips started to twitch, almost forming into a thin smile as he mentally congratulated himself.
They posed and crossed each other as the next couple stepped onto the stage.
In the corner of his eyes he noticed Jiyong eyeing them both with a content look on his face.

 

Junhongs lips finally formed the smile that had tugged on them before but his face dropped again as Jiyong’s voice rung through the air telling him to erase the grin.
 

He made it to the end in a couple more steps and exhaled a breath as soon as he slid off the stage area. 
Yongguk was already standing there with a big gummy smile on his lips.
"You look stunning out there." he said and Junhong lowered his head to hide the flustered look on his face.
He rubbed his neck in embarrassment when Jiyong came to stand next to him.
"You got a cute smile but save it for the backstage area." He said and Junhong could feel the muscles in his body flex on the others words.
This was harder than he'd expected.
Yongguk laughed a little and the tension in Junhongs muscles decreases on the sound of deep baritone laughter.
"Don't be so harsh Jiyong." He said the smile still present in his words and Jiyong sighed.
"I'm sorry but just be professional when you're out there ok?" He looked at Junhong with a soft smile and the boy nodded in respond.
Yongguks hand came up to pat Junhongs shoulder, resting there a moment to give him an assuring squeeze.
"We'll work hard." He said and Jiyong raised an eyebrow but nodded.
His head turned back to the runway where Seunghyun was already half though his walk.
When he joined them his eyes narrowed on Jiyong,

"I'd appreciate you watching when I walk for you." He said dryly and Jiyong’s lips showed the indication of a smirk before returning to a thin, thoughtful line again.
"I don't need to watch to know you do perfect." He stated, eyes darting back to the runway before growling in annoyance on the female model wobbling on a strange version of heel-less high heels.

"You did well for your first time." the tall boy addressed Junhong and Yongguk nodded, his hand still lingering on Junhong's shoulder and it was a very calming gesture. 
He cloud particularly feel his body relax under the simple touch.

The warmth slowly crawl onto his cheeks as the two of them kept looking at him.
He felt incredibly awkward being the center of attention.

"Let's get back in line." Seunghyun suggested and Junhong nodded, a slight feeling of uneasiness washing over his body when Yongguk's hand dropped off his shoulder. 
Yongguk noticed the little pouty expression on Junhongs face and the way he started to nervously clasp and unclasp his hands. 
"You can do this." The graphic teacher said trying to sound encouraging and the smile Junhong offered him in return sending little tingles to invade his chest. 
Their effect only intensifying when the boys soft voice reached his ears. 

"Thank you hyung."




(Note: progress is slow I'm sorry ^^; I wish I had more time to concentrat on this but soon..SOON!)