I'm not one to beg but sometimes I do

Doll in the spotlight


"That is totally out of question!"

The icy voice of Mrs. Komlova rung though the air in the tiny teachers' lounge as she paced up and down in front of the U shaped set of tables.
"I don't see the problem." Yongguk countered leaning back in his chair, arms crossed in front of his chest.
His eyes followed the woman’s slim figure as she walked left and right, the click-clack of her heels resonating from the walls.
"He is not an appropriate choice to represent the school, nor any of the students!" the thin framed woman rambled, her eyes wide in an almost lunatic way.

Yongguk was about to object but as soon as he opened his mouth the woman spoke up again.
He shut his jaw and waited for her to spit out all the things that made him doubt the woman’s insight on other people.
"Who'd even be willing to work with a baby faced, pink-haired brat! Is that boy even capable of doing a walk?"
Her rambling went on and on and Yongguk clenched his teeth so tightly he feared of biting out one or two of his fillings.
The way this woman spoke about Junhong, who she didn't even know, who she'd never looked at for more than a mere second, let alone acknowledged as a breathing human being required more than just a tiny bit of his will power to keep himself calm and collected.
These people, all of them as they sat in the room, full of themselves, bigheaded and narrow-minded, made the young graphic teacher want to hand in his resignation without the spark of second thought.
 Yongguk was tired of all those stuck up people who had nothing in mind but their own wellbeing, their reputation, their image in the public eyes.
It gave him headaches, very strong ones.

"But Junhong does have a unique face when you look at these photos."
Baekho's voice was quiet as he spoke, more mumbling to himself than addressing Mrs. Komlova but Yongguk was grateful never the less.
He send a small thankful smile in the others direction who awkwardly rubbed his neck.
At least one person in this room was halfway sane and normal, in Yongguks definition of normal at least.

 

“He’s got an interesting aura.”   
The fair haired teacher pointed to one of the pictures that lay spread out on the wooden tables and Mrs. Komlovas eyes eventually set on the picture for a while before she tore her gaze away, heaving a sigh.  


Junhong looked beautiful in the picture, his soft pink locks hanging into his eyes, his gaze in a state of innocence while his lips curled into the indication of a little cheeky smile.  
The oversized wool pullover draped over his shoulders perfectly, his slender frame hugged by it’ softness and his legs appeared even longer clad in the tight grey pair of pants.


Yongguk had asked Jiyong for a couple prints of their quick photo shooting and the student had been kind enough to send him a mail with the files attached so he'd picked and printed the best photos to underline his point in this conversation.

Mrs. Komlova growled under her breath, eyes narrowed on the photograph the Art instructor pointed to once more.
Somehow Yongguk felt like she was trying hard to deny the appeal of the photos and for a second he thought to see a gleam of recognition on her face.
It was a false hope though.  

"Nobody will be willing to change their line-up this close to the show!" she spat, her usual composure lost at this point and Yongguk had troubles not to roll his eyes on her outburst.

No one of the other teachers, besides Baekho’s little attempt, had involved in there “discussion” yet and Yongguk wondered why everybody seemed to be so intimidated by Mrs. Komlova.
The headmaster gestured for Baekho to hand her the photos and he handed them over for her to inspect them with a critical eye.

Yongguk just sat there, his eyes fixed on the gray haired lady, colorful silk scarf wrapped around her neck.
She flipped through the pictures, humming and nodding once in a while and he just couldn’t tell whether that was good or bad.
Five minutes felt like hours to him as he sat and waited for her to speak up.
Mrs. Banowicz, seated next to the headmaster bend over to have a better look at the pictures as well and then she said something Yongguk couldn’t understand from where he was seated.
The headmaster nodded and her eyes went up to meet his then traveled to Mrs. Komlova.

“As much as I appreciate your opinion Irina…” She paused and Mrs. Komlova’s lips drew a thin line as she waited for the sentence to be finished.
Yongguk held his breath.

“I think we do in fact need as many male models as we can get and this boy doesn’t seem all too bad. If someone wants to work with him we might as well let them. I expect for Mr. Bang to watch him through and I guess we all agree that there have to be some changes…”

She tapped her finger onto the picture, right next to the mob of pink hair.
Yongguk only nodded his eyes wide and his teeth clenched tight to not let a victorious smile break free onto his lips.

"So if there is someone willing to add Junhong to their lineup you will send him on the runway?" He asked still a little doubtful but the old lady nodded.
Mrs. Komlova snorted and dropped down onto her chair defeated.
Yongguk smiled at the headmaster, bowing to her as she handed the pictures back.
He couldn’t wait to go through the line-ups to find a spot for Junhong.
 

 

 

 

When he stepped back into the CAD-room Yongguk felt the exhaustion crawling through his bones.
 He sank down into his chair, dropping his head onto his arms he exhaled audibly, growling just a little to himself.
Dealing with his colleagues was always tiring especially with Mrs. Komlova since that woman always had to have the last word and her word was final, his opinion barely mattered.
He really had no idea how he'd managed to convince the headmaster in giving Junhong a chance when Mrs. Komlova had been so opposed to it.
Maybe it was thanks to Baekho who'd continually pointed out how charismatic Junhong looked on Jiyong’s photos and Yongguk had no troubles agreeing with his statement.

Junhong indeed looked just as beautiful and posed as professional as all the other models.
He’d blend in perfectly into the shoot, stood upright and confident next to Minhyun without a sight of being inexperienced.

Yongguk pulled the photos out once again, looking at each one for a moment.
He rolled his lip between his teeth, tapping his fingers against his temples as he scanned the glossy prints.
Junhong stood out, over shining Minhyun in more than just a couple of photos and it wasn't because of his bright pink locks.

There was something about the boy, the same thing he'd seen when Junhong had walked through his door, the glance in his eyes as he fixed them on the camera, the way his lips curved into a sly smirk, the scar at the corner of his mouth that didn't look disturbing but just perfectly placed like it was meant to underline something about his appearance.

He was speaking volumes with his gaze alone and it left no room to wonder about his slightly chubby cheeks, the boy on those pictures was not just another 16 year old pretty face, he was way beyond that.


A little smile crawled onto Yongguks lips when he came across one of the off shoot pictures that showed Junhong laughing  to himself as he tried to pose.
It was cute in a way that made him want to pinch the boys cheek, Junhong would probably not be amused about it if he did so though.

Yongguk shook his head, tossing the pictures into the drawer of his table as he pictured himself behind his table, smiling brightly all by himself while looking at the pictures of a 16 year old boy.
He was probably going insane in a way, not that it really mattered to him.

A dragged out sigh left his lips and he rubbed the bridge of his nose shortly before pulling a stack of sheets from his messenger bag.
Even with the permission to keep the pink haired boy in the index he still had to find someone willing to add him to their line-up and Yongguk couldn't help feeling anxious about that task.

He flipped through the line-ups, yellow marker in hand to underline the designers that either did men's wear collections or included single outfits in their assembly.
After going through all the young designers he finally had a list of seven potential victims. 
He tapped the pen onto the table, eyes roaming over the line-ups he'd spread out to get a better look.

All of the line-ups were complete except two.

There was one girl still in need of a male model and another girl who needed a backup since one of her models turned out to be rather unreliable both of the girl’s names didn't really ring a bell for Yongguk.
It wasn't very kind, maybe not even appropriate to think like that but he couldn't help feeling that those weren't the student he wanted to ask to send Junhong down the runway.
He hardly recognized who they were and even though he knew it was wrong of him he still wanted Junhong to walk for someone who'd draw attention with his collection, to put Junhong into the best possible spotlight.

He sighed as his eyes roamed over the line-ups.
It would be rude to ask any of the other students to change their line-ups just to do him a favor but Yongguk was willing to be rude and annoying for the sake of seeing Junhong on a perfect stage.
It was so late in time already, so close to the show that he almost felt sorry for troubling the students.
He knew that most of their garments were custom made to fit the models figures and proportions, the students spend hours with fittings, changing tiny details on their garments to ensure a flawless presentation.

Another heavy sigh passed his lips as he pushed the papers from one side to the other.
There was one name that rung in his head over and over again but it was such a thin chance for that person to help him out that he ignored it for the moment.


A perfectionist creating flawless perfection, controlling ever tiny detail, every fiber of the materials he used, ever model, every beat of the song he picked for the walk, the lights, the camera there was nothing Kwon Jiyong wouldn’t plan out, nothing he did not control and it was exactly what Yongguk wanted for Junhong.
But asking someone like Jiyong for a stupid favor, to make him rethink his schedule and rework his garments, maybe it was too much to ask.
Yongguk held a lot of respect for Jiyong, though he wouldn’t admit it, not openly because it would fuel Jiyong’s ego even more and sometimes the student was already too close to being snobby.
Still Yongguk wondered how Jiyong managed to stay down to earth most of the time seeing how he was one of the “golden” students of the school.
He’d barely seen anyone who was so thoughtful about his work, who’d work for hours on end to achieve the best possible outcome and for him to mess that work up was more than just rude and thoughtless.


He pondered on the matter for a while, eyes remaining fixed on the sheet of paper showing small portrait pictures of Jiyong’s models and a rough sketch of his garments.
Jiyong was someone who knew what it felt like to have dreams, what it meant to work hard to achieve them.
He was one of the few people who were not afraid to fall out of the picture, Yongguk could tell from his hairstyle, it was a statement, his pinkish strands did not fit the image of the perfect student the school was seeking but Jiyong still wore his hair with pride, even talked back to the teachers when he disagreed, a rare sight within the schools walls.
Maybe he had a thin chance that Jiyong actually liked a little challenge, maybe Jiyong could understand what he saw in Junhong.
He nodded his head as he came to a decision.
He would just step out and ask him directly because after all everything that Yongguk had to fear was a flat out rejection.

 

After ending his last class for the day he was flipping through the sheets once more, punching in Jiyong’s phone number into his phone when he saw a mob of dark hair with pinkish spots walk pass his door.
He leaped off the chair, its rolls scratching over the floor almost knocking it over with his quick action.
He dove towards the door sticking his head out of its frame.

 

"Jiyong!" He yelled after the last year student
The slim boy turned around, a questioning look on his pretty face.
"Do you have a minute?" Yongguk asked and the boy looked even more puzzled.
All graphic works for their collections had already been finished and he couldn't quite figure what the graphic teacher would even have to discuss with him but he nodded anyways, turning on his heel to join Yongguk.
"How is the collection coming together?" Yongguk started off with a little small talk, his actual question ringing in his ears as he smiled at the student.
Jiyong furrowed stepping into the room a little further.
He leant onto one of the tables, his head tiled to the side as he spoke.
"Well I'm just adding the last touches actually." Jiyong answered truthfully.
"That's great!" Yongguk answered maybe a little too enthusiastic and Jiyong blinked with a flash of mockery passing on his features.
The question lingered at the tip of Yongguks tongue and he was hesitant to let it pass his lips not that the student was in front of him.
 Jiyong was one of the top students after all with a promising future and Yongguk knew the boy took his work more than serious.
His collection was one of the most anticipated ones and Yongguk was sure there'd be a hell of a lot pictures and mentioning on it once the show was over.
The attention that Jiyong received though he hadn't even graduated yet was enormous and it was the very reason he'd decided to approach the student with his request.

Yongguk took a deep breath, bracing himself to utter the question he'd been playing with in his head all day long.
He felt like David facing Goliath. 
"Say Jiyoung...I'd actually like you to do me a favor." He explained rubbing his neck awkwardly as the boy in front of him crinkled his nose and furrowed his brows.
"I know you already have your model line-up set...and it might be too much to ask but would you consider changing one of your models?"
The question was finally out and Jiyongs eyes widened in what Yongguk assumed to be a mixture of shock, disbelieve and refusal.
"You know what you're asking me there right?" Jiyong retorted, not really caring about formalities as he spoke.
Yongguk sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose between thumb and forefinger.
"I know it's a lot to ask, especially so close to the show but I really beg of you. Believe me I wouldn't ask if it weren't important."
"Is it an organizational issue?" Jiyong tried to guess but Yongguk shook his head.
"No actually not... rather a personal one." he admitted and Jiyong rose an eyebrow at him, crossing his arms in front of his chest.
"I want Junhong to take part in your line-up." Yongguk stated honestly and Jiyong huffed but his lips twitched in a soft smile.
"Why is that?" he asked a little curiosity swinging in his voice that did not go unnoticed by Yongguk.


His thoughts trailed off for a moment as he thought back on the audition and that moment when Junhong had walked towards him, with this obvious glint in his eyes, how his shoulders had straightened and his gaze had transformed almost magically.
Yongguk sighed and raised his head to look straight at Jiyong, his eyes glowing with confidence and trust in the boy he'd taken under his wing.
It was the only thing Yongguk could think of so he blurred the words without a second thought.
 "Because he's got potential to shine." he explained with a conviction that left Jiyong stunned.
Jiyong held the others gaze, his features unfazed but Yongguk could almost see the gears in his head turning until a little smirk crawled onto the boy’s lips.
He thought for a moment and Yongguk once again waited, praying silently for the boy to agree.
The silence dragged on and he felt himself getting uneasy, it made him want to snap at the student and tell him to ing respond already.
Jiyong nodded, his lips a little puckered, his gaze seeming distant
He rose his head meeting Yongguks eyes and his lips formed a playful smile.

 
"Alright....let's see him shine then." the boy said with a shrug of his shoulders and Yongguk was close to jumping off into the air.
He urged to pull the boy into a big bear hug and shower him in a float of -Thank you- s.
He hadn’t thought Jiyong would agree.
Actually he’d expected to be rejected as soon as the question slipped his lips but Jiyong actually seemed to like the idea.
Yongguk was grinning from ear to ear now and Jiyong only shook his head.
"Bring him to the fittings next time...but dare you remove Seunghyun from my line up!" the student pointed a finger at him and Yongguk raised his hands.
"I'd never do that." he said, smile still present on his face as he shook his head.

 

Jiyong shook his head, amusement and some weird knowing look present on his face that Yongguk couldn't quiet pinpoint at the moment. 
The slim figure slid through the door, hand waving at him and Yongguk watched the student walk off with a sway in his steps that made him chuckle.

 

He reached for his phone and opened one of his apps, displaying a small white sticky note stating -65 days until final show-.

 

2 months until the final show, 8 weeks, 65 days, 1560 hours left to make sure people at the show saw Junhong as the person Yongguk had seen him as the moment the pink mob of hair had stepped though his door.

 

He dug out the application forms, hitting in Junhongs number he exhaled a deep breath.
The line went through, a monotone ring travelling through the receiver.

When Junhong picked up his voice was quiet, a little confused due to the unknown number.


"Hello?"
Yongguk chuckled.
"Hey Junhong this is Bang Yongguk." He said smiling as he heard the happy -Ah!- that dropped Junhongs lips.

"Why are you calling me?" Junhong asked the excitement in his voice not very well hidden.
Yongguk leant back in his chair, tilting his head back to rest it on the backrest, his eyes stared up at the ceiling, scanning the cracks in the white but the sight was blurry and his eyes not focused as he imagined Junhongs expression to his following words.
"You'll be added to Jiyong’s line up." He said almost monotone, like it was no big deal and the younger squeaked in surprise.
"Jiyong-shi?" Junhong questioned with a tad of awe in his voice and Yongguk hummed in respond, his lips doing that weird constant upturn again.
"You need to join us for fittings and runway trainings. The dates are on the list I handed you before. Look for the times Kwon Jiyongs models train..." He stated the facts and heard Junhong hum then some rumbling and a short scribbling sound, probably Junhong noting down the name.
He grinned a little before the next words left his lips.
"I'll meet you there."
He said though it wasn't necessary for him to be around, matter of fact he was probably going to be more of a bother to Jiyong than anything but the promise rolled off his lips quicker than he could reconsider it.
"I can't wait!" Junhong cheered through the line and for a moment Yongguk thought it was about meeting him again before he realized Junhong was referring to the training with Jiyong.
He shook his head.

"Alright so I will see you in a couple days."
He tried to end the call but there was no reply only a little rustling sound but other than that line stayed quiet and Yongguk wondered if Junhong just nodded his head instead of speaking.
"Junhong-ah?" he said and the boy hummed.
"Do you have any questions? Anything  unclear?"

Yongguk wasn't sure if he heard right when a little sobbing sound drew through the speaker.
He was about to ask if everything was alright when Junhongs voice travelled to his ear again.
"Thank you hyung." he mumbled with a softness to his voice that took Yongguk off guard.
For a second there he wondered if it was alright for Junhong to call him hyung, they weren't friends nor close in any way but he couldn't find a single fiber in his body that opposed the sound of it in his ears.

He liked the idea of Junhong seeing him as a reliable big brother in this circle of hyenas also known as the fashion business.

"No need for that Junhong-ah. See you soon." He finally said and Junhong smiled, he could tell without seeing the boy, it was such a bright smile it seemed to crawl its way through the line.
"See you soon hyung!" the boy sing-sang and then the line went dead and Yongguk sighed.

His cheeks almost hurt from the smile that had been engraved to his face during the call.
He flipped a couple pages of his notebook, the warm tingle in the pit of his stomach very present as he smiled from ear to ear.  

Two days until Jiyong's models came in for training.
Two days until Junhong walked back in through that door, making his day a little more fun and a tad more exciting. 

 

(Note: not much happening right? but Yongguk is pulling some stings... Junhong will be back in person in the next chapter ^^ and since I made it...here's a trailer for the story xxx